302 East Illinois St
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bellwetherchicago.com/
- Phone: 3122221800x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
Friday - Saturday 4:00pm - 3:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Paul Doptis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live DJ on Thursday & Friday 9pm - 4am & Saturday 9pm - 5am, DJ Defcutdon mixes music along with music videos during his sets at Bellwether. 3 150" projector screens along with TV's at bar.
A word from Bellwether
Bellwether features an eclectic menu that includes steaks and fish as well as outstanding wine, beer, and spirits. The dining room features a massive wine room, vodka display, and 30 foot waterfall.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bellwether reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (7)fit for foodies (6)vibrant bar scene (6)romantic (5)late-night find (5)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (4)good for groups (3)special occasion (3)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (2)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- unimpressedPaolyDined on 8/31/2014The presentation of the food was really lovely. Unfortunately the food wasn't very good at all. With the exception of one of our diners buffalo Wings appi. They were substantial in size and the best she had ever eaten.Special Features:
- BrunchKimbeeDined on 8/31/2014We found this place near our hotel and after reading the reviews I was skeptical, but it was close. We had Sunday brunch here and it was very good. My three kids were all pleased with their selections and my husband loved the chicken waffle sandwich. The place was not crowded for a Sunday morning on a holiday which was another odd thing. However, we would probably eat there again if in the neighborhood. The menu had some foodie type choices but also classics. Our waiter was very attentive especially with refilling our drinks. The price were not cheap 12-15 dollar range, but it was our cheapest meal while staying Chicago.Special Features:
- petiteChibabyVIPDined on 8/24/2014did lunch with a friend there at 1:30 on a Sunday....very quiet...not many patrons service was good, but had to remind waiter to bring the bread after we had let him know earlier we wanted it. the salad size was petite compared to other similar places....it was the cabbage salad to which we added chicken. i'd recommend this restaurant only if their portions are enlarged. this wasn't the Ritz or Four Seasons where they can get away with small portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiter Not Up to ItGristDined on 7/29/2014While the food was very tasty, the wine list nice and the rest of the staff were wonderful, the waiter made this experience a less than stellar one. Could never seem to get it right with what I ordered or asked for later. I asked for an extra side of something to add to my entree and was done with all the sides and waiting for a bit before it got there (and I'm not a fast eater!). I would go back since the food was great and everyone else was very friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK average good place to goMV90274Dined on 7/25/2014Good food, but nothing too special. Great service, very noisy --- not a place to go to have a conversation with your table mates. Nice vibe otherwise, decorated well.Special Features:
- Hit or miss...sadlyLadyBVIPDined on 7/18/2014Bellwether has the best kale salad in Chicago! My husband and I came across this place after an afternoon massage. Since we've been coming the service was stellar but has gone downhill. The last time we were there it took forever to get our food, the waitress forgot to put in my wing order, and they ended up giving my wings away to another table when they were finally prepared. I only ordered two things!!??! Needless to say I was disappointed. It may be awhile before I am back.Special Features:
- Less than acceptableVisitorDined on 7/3/2014Meal was cold and service was colder. Very disappointed in dinner meal. Surly server - unacceptable.Special Features:
- BellwetherOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Decorations and setting is nice but would not go back. Food less than average and overall experience felt very rushed.
- Pleasantly surprisedDaveSchanDined on 6/27/2014We'd been to PJ Clarkes, which had occupied this space for many years. While we are game to try new places and anxiously awaited the opening of Bellwether, we were put off by its initial menu (about 15 months ago) which was pretty pricey and with more esoteric foods. The menu has been updated, with a variety of options and pricing, and the ambiance of the surroundings is great. Food choices were good, and the stuffed chicken breasts we had were excellent. It was a very enjoyable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/11/2014Based on the reviews I expected a relatively decent experience. I was hoping for the best as I was bringing people from out of town. The only thing this place had going for it was 1/2 price red wine on Weds. night. I was with people that had food allergies and the waiter could not adjust. He came back from the kitchen and told my guest that the only thing she could eat was a steak and veggies. He didn't even try to get creative. Their version of a greek salad was lettuce, tomato and carrots. Sad. I won't be going back.
- TOO much LOUD music.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/1/2014The food , service and décor were outstanding. BUT they had the music cranked up so high you couldn't here any conversation with the people at your table. I will give them another chance because the food and service were great, but if the music is loud, I am outta thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiance,ChiTownFoodie1Dined on 5/30/2014The restaurant itself is great - chic, contemporary and comfortable (I especially loved the layered chandeliers that are hung throughout the dining room.) Our group ordered a number of different dishes so we had a chance to sample many things and overall the food was mediocre, especially for the prices. The Ceviche appetizer was the one thing that was really delicious - fresh, well-balanced and full of flavor. The Gnocchi (with brown butter, sage, brussel sprouts and parmesan), Fish Tacos and Chicken Tacos were all extremely bland and unsatisfying. Service was friendly but slow.
- Trying to find its nicheChiTownGirlVIPDined on 5/30/2014Have eaten multiple times at Bellwether and every visit seems to bring a new focus for the restaurant. The good news is that the food has always been good. Service ranges from newbie waitstaff (do you want a lime in your gin & tonic after the drink was delivered - showed up on a napkin) to seasoned staff that are very customer focused. This visit seems that they are evolving to be more an upscale sports bar (not sure if it works) with two enormous screens that drop down from the ceiling. I will go back to see where they evolve...Special Features:
- Food ok, service notDaveDined on 5/24/2014We stopped in for dinner here because we were staying the night at the Embassy Suites which is adjacent to the restaurant. Restaurant is comfortable and clean. Our waiter came and took our drink order without any greeting or chitchat of any kind. Summarily brought the drinks and asked if we were ready to order. We said we were not and asked to enjoy our drinks for a few minutes. Not three minutes later he returned and asked for our order. This guy had no affect and was almost intimidating in his lack of demeanor. The young man who brought us our food was engaging and fun to have around. He should have the waiter's job. If you don't get this guy, the restaurant is fine as the food and the location are good.
- The following 38 reviews are from the Bellwether reviews archive.
- Great late night eateryenjoyeatingoutDined on 4/30/2014Great spot for ligjt late dining, after theatre or evening concert. Kitchen open until 3am. Nice variety of choices on menu. Lots of sharable choices. We shared calamari, cerviche, & fish tacos - all were excellant and just the right amount for late dining. Reasonable food prices and wines by the glass. Service was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Good food, practical pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014In the heart of Chicago it was good to find a restaurant that offered good food at reasonable prices with a good atmosphere. It seemed like many local Chicagoans from the neighborhood were here.Special Features:
- New kid on the blockChitownDocDined on 4/25/2014This was my second tome to try the Bellwether. My first thoughts are that this is a great upgrade from PJ Clarke's, which used to occupy this spot. I have eaten the lamb burger and the chicken avacado wrap. Both were solid. the fries are tasty and the salads were fresh. Service was a little slow for lunch, but overall a good meal was had by all.Special Features:
- Very nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014I was visiting my son who lives very close to Bellwether, I found it online and made reservations. My son uses a wheelchair and they were very accomodating. We had a great meal and would return.Special Features:
- Theater goersLocaldinerDined on 4/17/2014Great place for before after AMC movies. Pricing is very friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/16/2014We had a great time! The food was great! Service was AWESOME!Special Features:
- Loved it!DetroitvisitorDined on 4/12/2014Went there because it was close to our apartment. It was a great choice. The food was excellent and our waiter made very good recommendations. Will return here anytime.Special Features:
- Bellwether with KidsHawksfan1Dined on 4/4/2014Great atmosphere for watching hockey. Food is excellent, a little pricey for having kids there. Service a little on the slow side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for pre-movie dinnerHensel310VIPDined on 4/3/2014Bellwether is a large and pretty space. The cuisine is basically bar food with a few dishes that showed improvement on that genre. Several large screen TVs so if you want to follow hockey, baseball, basketball or football, this would be a very nice place to do so. I think there were about 10-12 bottled beers ..not to mention the ones they have on tap. The noise level is not a problem so you can carry on a normal conversation. Service is very good, accommodating. Prices are moderate.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant!CherylDined on 3/26/2014Only ate lunch there, but fantastic burger, service and ambience! Would love to check out the night scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good neighborhood restaurantNiXi3VIPDined on 3/23/2014It's a nice restaurant with a great interior, good service, good food, and a diverse menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bellwether BrunchKATHRYNDined on 3/16/2014I love the interior design, lighting and colors of Bellwether. The food was delicious as always and I will definitely go there again. Had a delicious Blue Cheese Burger. My friends had the Tilapia sandwich (which they said they liked) and the chocolate cake and ice cream for desert. While the menu for Brunch is limited, the items they do have are delicious. Our server was attentive and very cordial.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced food, decent drinksEvanDined on 3/14/2014Insanely overpriced. We shared the chicken skewer appetizer, which was pretty tasty, but our entrees really disappointed us. My wife had the pulled pork sandwich, that was fine, but probably twice what it should have cost. I had the lamb entree, which had both flat and boring braised meat AND an incredibly over-salted sausage. Our waiter was also pretty darn inattentive, bringing us our drinks and food, and then disappearing. Drinks were nice - I had a negroni, which was pretty solid, and my wife had a good milk stout. Still, we could have had food just as good - or even better - for way less money. I'll maybe go back for an after-movie drink, but I'm done with their food.Special Features:
- went to belwether for a specialpaulDined on 3/8/2014went to belwether for a special occasion we love it good food service was grate ! we will be going back .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bellweather is a great newGeneralDined on 2/28/2014Bellweather is a great new addition to Streeterville. The eclectic menu, good service, good wines and cocktails make this a wise choice for before or after the movie as well as a dinner destination.Special Features:
- Great NightHappyInChicagoDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I were in town late and we're wanting a nice dining experience on short notice. They were very accommodating and had a table for us quickly. The food was excellent and the service was outstanding. We would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service still lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014Waiters took food to wrong tables on multiple occasions. Failed to bring appetizer plates. That was a bit of a turn off, otherwise food was good and the saving grace of my experience.
- HorribleBigsmokindaddyVIPDined on 2/14/2014The food here was not good and was incredibly overpriced. I had a ceviche appetizer priced at $16. Seemed a little pricey for this kind of restaurant, but I'm a big ceviche fan - so I ordered it. The dish was incredibly bad. WAY too much lime juice was used to the point where it was inedible. It's almost as if they used lemon juice or something else instead. I pointed it out to the waiter and told him it was not good. Not only did he not comp it, but a manager should have come over and apologized. We will never go back.
- Just OKJoyLVIPDined on 2/14/2014This is the second time I've had lunch at Bellwether. I ordered the same thing both times. It was definitely better the first time, but still, just ok. There is nothing that stands out about this restaurant. I hope it gets better because it's a nice space.
- EhDawnGVIPDined on 2/11/2014I went here for dinner with colleagues. Bellwether is located in the old P.J. Clarke's space. The renovation is really nice however I forgot about the high ceilings. The background music they were playing was a little loud so it made for louder than normal conversation. Cocktails/drinks were good. Not the best Manhattan I ever had but fine. Appetizers were a bit sparse but good. My colleagues had the pasta, lamb sausage, pork chop, salmon, and I had the shrimp and scallops. They liked theirs however mine seemed to be devoid of flavor. We had PB&J mousse and gelee and the triple chocolate dessert that were pretty forgettable. Would I go back again? On someone else's dime, maybe. On mine, no.Special Features:
- New in the NeighborhoodMaypackageDined on 2/8/2014I was happy to see another restaurant in this location. The service was good. The food selection seemed broad. The prices were reasonable. I'm sure I will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I enjoyed myselfOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/29/2014I went there with two of my friends. Drinks were pricey, but strong. I recommend the lamb.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for dinner!out2eatDined on 1/28/2014I took a group here for a work dinner. It only recently opened and I was little nervous having never tried it. The atmosphere was nice and there was house music playing but not so loud we couldn't easily talk and hear each other at the table. The food was good. House made pastas were fantastic and I heard rave reviews from my fellow diners on the lamb burgers. They had one of my favorite wines on the menu - Prisoner - so that was definitely a plus. Our waiter was helpful, knew the menu well, and was able to provide recommendations. Great dinner and I would definitely recommend stopping in for a nice glass of wine and a lamb burger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Menu -- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/28/2014This new place is a big change from the PJ Clark's of that used to be there. The food is more upscale than we'd expected, but prices aren't over the top -- salads and burgers seemed very affordable. The menu is ambitious and sophisticated and the execution on our second visit was flawless. I've tried the crispy pork belly with kimchi and fried oysters twice and loved it both times. My the shrimp and scallop entrée was perfectly cooked; arrived piping hot; and was very tasty for such a healthy menu choice. If you can afford the calories and tolerate the richness, the stuffed chicken breast with creamy risotto was amazing. Service is just OK, but it's a new place. The food is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I live in the neighborhoodRunnerDined on 1/7/2014I live in the neighborhood and was very excited when told the old PJ's spot would again be a restaurant. It's beautiful, they did a great job on the interior! The service is great, the food tasty. The menu is interesting, a bit pricey and not really a "neighborhoody" type menu. The addition of more casual options could be helpful to their success. I hope they make it; I like it a lot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great atmospheremustangmillyDined on 1/3/2014You have to try the ribeye sandwich or the lamb. It was really good food and price wasnt bad at all. $78 for 4 of us that included 2 alcoholic drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.