2016 Shattuck Ave
Berkeley, CA 94704Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.belliosteria.com/
- Phone: 5107041902x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: T-Th 5:30pm-9:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:30pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Su 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Paul Oprescu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Belli Osteria
Located in the heart of Downtown Berkeley, Belli Osteria is a quaint and casual place to enjoy sumptuous dishes made with many local and seasonal ingredients. Our osteria began with the dream of creating a locale whose focus is not just Italian inspired dishes, but pastas and raviolis that are made artisanally and in-house. We take special pride in sourcing ingredients that are local, and whenever possible, organic.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Belli Osteria reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (40)neighborhood gem (32)special occasion (19)good for groups (10)romantic (9)hot spot (9)notable wine list (5)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Pre-theater SpecialRogerDined on 10/11/2014This restaurant gets crowded with pre-theater crowd so reservations are a must. Hit it around 7:45 and you should be able to get in. Limited to wine and beer; no bar, but food is great and service, when not slammed with customers, is very good. We are repeat customers and value this gem.Special Features:
- Good ItalianBonfireVIPDined on 9/30/2014Portions were large and the pappardelle with beef was delicious, I ate the whole large portion. Caesar salad was delicious with fried anchovies on top, but maybe a tad too much dressing. Really delicious wine and a delightful quiet Tuesday evening at 7:30pm, excellent service although the main dish took a tad too long, the waitress gave us a a free lemon sorbet which was perfect for after the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Check please!glad2commentDined on 9/30/2014Appetizers and salads are wonderful here. Great gazpacho, in particular. Pasta dishes are uneven although definitely ambitious. Gnocchi was leaden heavy, but other pasta dishes have been good. However, it is extremely difficult to get the bill, and then pay within a reasonable amount of time -- even when you have explained that you are going to theater.Special Features:
- Great foodchetelodicofareDined on 9/26/2014We read the good reviews, but belli was above and beyond their reviews. Service was attentive, menu was creative and taste was extremely flavorful and tasty. Will be back soon.Special Features:
- ExcellentKortDined on 9/23/2014Hard to beat. Exceptionally good food. Service was hooked. Noise: in keeping with current trends (shouting level). Just be quiet and enjoy the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Is Belli Osteria slipping?OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014After several exceptional meals at Belli Osteria I was disappointed this time. The salads were excellent, but the main courses not so good. My companions had dense gnocchi and leathery ravioli, though they ate them. I sent my tripe back -- it had a nasty, gamey flavor that its overly peppered sauce failed to disguise -- and ate a second salad.I would recommend this to a friend.
- New ItaliankangaVIPDined on 8/29/2014All of our dishes were consistently good with generous portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerKathyCanDined on 8/16/2014We really enjoyed our first dinner here and will be back very soon!Special Features:
- Good food but indifferent servicedocmartyDined on 8/15/2014Visiting in Berkeley, we booked through Open Table about an hour-and-a-half before our arrival. When we arrived the Maitre d' said "oh, we stopped checking our computer." There was a table available, however, and we were seated--and then we waited about 10 minutes until the server finally came over (and the restaurant did not seem especially busy). The food and wine then appeared in good time and all was very tasty and well prepared and presented. The server was very charming and friendly and apologetic, but then we were left waiting at the end of the meal for someone to come and take a dessert order. The management made up for it with a complementary gelato--which was quite good. Enjoyed ourselves despite the lapses. Would go again.Special Features:
- Inventive and Varied MenuKellyDined on 8/14/2014We have enjoyed Belli Osteria on several occasions. They always have interesting and tasty specials. And, the main menu varies. There are usually 2 or more choices of ravioli and they are consistently outstanding and often unique. It's a great place to dine before an event at Freight and Salvage, Berkeley Rep, Aurora Theater, etc. or any time you crave non-standard Italian food in a friendly setting.Special Features:
- Great find!foodiemomof3boysDined on 8/12/2014We had a great meal at Belli Osteria. Stumbled upon it on open table and decided to check it out. We were very pleased! The service was really exceptional and so friendly with our children. Food was overall very delicious--would give 4.5 stars if I could. The burrata and melon was delicious; as was the house made ravioli and linguini with seafood. "gelato" was not like gelato--more like ice cream but still good. We will be back for sure. Many thanks to the wonderful waitress Chantay for her **Amazing Service** and friendliness. For her alone--we will come back!Special Features:
- Lovely food, terrible service.dutchVIPDined on 8/9/2014We have brought friends here many times & did so last Saturday. Reservation asked for quiet table, one offered near open door too chilly, said they had to leave it open. Waited 40 minutes for another table, and after we were seated were ignored for 15 minutes. Friend went to host to complain that we couldn't get anyone's attention, and host completely ignored him. Saw that they had another party at table near door, and had closed the door for them. Were in restaurant 1 hour before receiving any food. They said it was because we were seated when new parties came in, but they were served before we were, even though we had been waiting an hour. Terrible. Our friends won't be coming back. The food is so good we will give 2nd chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- doesn't get better!MaryVIPDined on 8/9/2014Hands down this is my favorite restaurant in the east bay. The food is absolutely incredible. California coast albacore conserva, green beans, purple potatoes with thyme vinaigrette & spicy aioli is TO DIE FOR. The squid ink linguini with pacific octopus, venus clams & gulf shrimp with butter & chardonnay...amazing! Not only is the food so goo you will want to eat there every night, but the service is impeccable! The table is cleared after each course or used dishes/utensils, so you start fresh...who does that??! It's so subtle you don't even notice it, but you can't help but notice. Everyone there is friendly, professional and lovely. I can't recommend this place highly enough. FIVE STARS.Special Features:
- JohnfromSFDined on 8/8/2014Terrific intimate restaurant with wonderfully friendly, professional, efficient staff. Delicious salads and dishes. Excellent range of good wines. The seafood black pasta is great. One of the best moderately priced restaurants in the entire Bay area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why isn't it packed?SarahDined on 8/6/2014We've been there 3 times now and there is always a table for us as soon as we arrive. Go now before the buzz fills this place up. The food and dessert are SO good! I especially like the ricotta gnocci & my husban loves the steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Tasty Menu...for OmnivoresieatanythingDined on 8/1/2014I'm an an omnivore, so the current menu looks delicious, but my girlfriend is vegetarian, so that was one thing that was lacking. A couple of vegetarian alternatives, sans mushrooms (for her), would be nice. I hope Belli Osteria would consider that.Special Features:
- Perfect dinner!Mbk333VIPDined on 7/26/2014Three of us had the squid ink pasta with mixed seafood. Unlike mostnseafood pastas, this dish was heavily laden wth seafood. So tasty! And the lamb chops was a huge porton--three double chops at a bargain price of $24. The caesar salad was unique and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in downtown BerkeleyChristyBVIPDined on 7/19/2014This place was fantastic! The food was excellent! I would put this up there with Trattoria Corso and Olivetos. Much better than A16.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location near Berkeley Rep.DpererDined on 7/2/2014Great location near Berkeley rep. Dining partners said pasta was terrificSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great . . . ButIncrdDined on 6/27/2014Restaurant noise level way too high. Will probably not go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sublime!BigRedDined on 6/26/2014Fantastic food! Chef Paul is a gem. My favorite restaurant in Berkeley!Special Features:
- Just the Best!!dine4funVIPDined on 6/25/2014We have been here several times, usually before a Berkeley Rep play. The menu is constantly changing, but everything we have had has been absolutely incredible. This time I had the beet salad and the halibut entree. Both dishes used the freshest ingredients, were beautifully presented, and absolutely the best I have ever had. Not a coincidence that my dining companions with all their different choices said the exact same thing about their dishes. The server was attentive, but not intrusive, and she was very helpful and knowledgeable when we asked for suggestions. I also appreciated how she kept in mind our need to leave at a particular time so as not to be late for our play. We love this place!Special Features:
- JackyVIPDined on 6/22/2014Tucked away in Berkeley on one of the main streets lies Belli Osteria. Thank you OpenTable for the great find! They were out of the squid ink linguine and my mom was disappointed because that is why we came here. It was only 7:30 pm on a Sat. Good that they ran out but wow! So we asked them to be creative about the dish and they did, substituting the octopus for more manila clams. Then they said they ran out of bread? How weird... so when we asked them to be creative about it, they brought out more bread? I don't understand. But when we got our food, each dish was perfect. I do not know what happened in the beginning with being out (then not being out) of meals, but they made up for it well. Lovely hostess. Good seating. Will recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 37 reviews are from the Belli Osteria reviews archive.
- SteveVIPDined on 6/20/2014The food was good, but the service was terrible with the server's broken english. We had to wait way too long for our food without explanation. When we asked for more bread to mop up the sauce from the appetizer, we were told they were out of bread. This is at 9PM on a Friday night.
- Great FoodMTTTVIPDined on 6/19/2014This is a wonderful authentic Italian restaurant with interesting, fresh and creative menu choices. The menu always has an excellent fresh fish entree, which most recently was a perfectly cooked and generous-sized portion of wild salmon. The pasta dishes are unusual and delicious. The salads are outstanding, with an interesting variety of ingredients and large enough for 2 people to share. This restaurant consistently has the best and most satisfying food of any restaurant I have been to in the East Bay. It also has reasonably-priced wines by the glass and bottle.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden-Away Restaurant SpotDaveVIPDined on 6/19/2014We've walked by this spot many times without ever seeing it since the restaurant has a narrow front. The food is excellent, nicely presented, cooked well and very tasty. The staff are friendly and helpful with menu selections. The wine list is priced fairly with good variety and can be bought by the glass or bottle. Bravo for another excellent place to eat in Berkeley's Theatre District.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh & well Prepared Italian FoodrisermonVIPDined on 6/18/2014The Gazpacho soup with the grilled shrimp was a pleasant combination of fresh tasting pureed vegetables with a bit of a bite to the finish. The shrimp were smoky and buttery and very good sized as was the bowl of gazpacho. Scallop appetizer was small (2 large scallops) but well done, although the scallops were a little underdone, but my wife really enjoyed them. I had ravioli stuffed with ham and cheese with a cream sauce & peas. It was excellent, although there wasn't that much to eat as is typical with many ravioli dishes. My wife had the pasta with squid ink sauce with same grilled shrimp as in the gazpacho and some clams, which I also really liked. Had some home made almond caramel ice cream for dessert, which was the perfect touch.Special Features:
- SherbearVIPDined on 6/18/2014Excellent food served attractively with great service. Highly recommend it for before Berkeley Rep.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely duck breastOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/11/2014Duck breast with cauliflower was lovely. It was served in a bowl which was awkward for cutting and setting down the knife between uses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- in downtown BerkeleyCASBerkeleyDined on 6/8/2014I had not even realised this restaurant was tucked away next to Comal in downtown Berkeley. We had a large party and every dish was excellent - squid ink linguine with shellfish, salmon with squid ink risotto, the steak & lovely cabbage salad to start. Also loved our server. A new favourite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belli UpWhiningRhinoVIPDined on 6/8/2014No iced tea, a two day expired special on blackboard,terrible service,meh food. So close to theaters, but we won't be back.
- Great find.YtheraVIPDined on 6/5/2014I rarely dine in Berkeley but was glad to have found Belli Osteria The food was hearty & noise level moderate (i hear it can be noisy). Service was a little bit on the slow side :(Special Features:
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/25/2014Was a little hesitant, given previous reviews that complained about the noise. Food was superb, noise unobtrusive. I would gladly eat here again.Special Features:
- best Italian in BerkeleydutchVIPDined on 5/24/2014The food here is really stellar. Fabulous pastas with slow-cooked meats and sauces. The menu varies regularly, and there is always something new to try. We enjoy this place a lot, and have brought a number of friends who all have had a really good experience.Special Features:
- LOVED IT!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 5/23/2014My friend has been a HUGE fan of this place, and I finally got there with him. And I must say, it was fantastic. Belli knows how to do pasta. It was the best boar ragu pappardelle I've EVER tasted, and the ravioli was exquisite as well. For appetizer, we had duck rillettes with roasted peppers & crostini. But the crostini was a bit too burnt.. other than that excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!LeoatlVIPDined on 5/22/2014Been visiting Berkeley for a year now, having visited 5 times, and stumbled upon Belli Osteria on my most recent visit through OpenTable. What a great find! Service was imeccable and friendly and the food amazing. Started off sharing the fresh ricotta with honey, walnuts and arugula, and it reminds me what "fresh" is all about. Perfect starter. I had the tagliatteli with wild boar and it was the hit of the table. My other guest had the salmon ravioli and it too far exceeded our expectations. I can't wait to go back, kudos to the chef/owner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beware of Communal TablesmichVIPDined on 5/17/2014I've eaten here several times as part of a twosome. Every other time we were seated at a small table for two. This time, we were seated on the end of a table for 6 that we had to share with another group. Maybe it's just me, but I hate communal seating at restaurants, and I think if they are going to do it, they should warn you ahead of time. I was hoping for a nice romantic dinner with my man, and instead, I had to fight off some stranger's elbow in my face. There was a larger table next to us, where they jammed in several groups of 4. It was clear that those people were no more happy than we were to be sharing their seating space with strangers, especially, since the seats are very close together.Special Features:
- Excellent foodDeLifeFullDined on 5/17/2014We loved the food here, and the four of us are foodies. We dine out quite a bit, and this is the best restaurant we've found in Downtown Berkeley to date. Only caveats -- some of the food is a little too salty, the noise level was really high, making it pretty difficult to carry on a conversation, though we managed to, and you may have to share a table,Special Features:
- fantasticDaveVIPDined on 5/16/2014Fantastic meal and service. Highly recommend the restaurant. Resolvable priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beware of the Communal TableseattlefoodgirlVIPDined on 5/16/2014First off, the food was delicious. We had for appetizers the Tuna Crudo w/ Watermelon Radishes and the Wild Duck Rillettes followed by the Caesar Salad and the Spring Lamb Rack. The stand out dishes were the Tuna and the Lamb. Really good! Service at our table was efficient and timely though the restaurant was crowded. The downside of the restaurant is the noise level which is loud and if seated towards the back as we were at the communal table it can be very warm and stuffy. I recommend sitting towards the front. All in all I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.