Belle - A Southern Bistro
117 Union Ave.
Memphis, TN 38103Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Belle - A Southern Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bellememphis.com/
- Phone: (901) 433-9851
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm, Saturday-Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday-Saturday, 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Creole / Cajun / Southern, Soul food
- Executive Chef: David Johnson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We provide both pick up and delivery catering options.
A word from Belle - A Southern Bistro
BELLE a Southern Bistro in Downtown Memphis serves American Cuisine with a southern flair. Chef David Johnson builds on traditional family recipes, using fresh ingredients, many locally grown. Breads, salad dressings, and sauces, are all made in house, adding that special touch to each dish.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Belle - A Southern Bistro - Best Restaurants in Memphis ›
Belle - A Southern Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (19)good for groups (15)neighborhood gem (13)great for brunch (12)great for lunch (8)romantic (6)special occasion (5)late-night find (4)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Downtown Dining week reviewDiningIn901Dined on 11/20/2014We had a party of 6 which they were all set for us, but as our friends arrived- we realized 8 were coming- they quickly accommodated is and we were sitting happily within 3 minutes of our reservation time. I commend this because of the busy nature of downtown dining week and their flexibility was appreciated. Chris was our server and was awesome- the coursing was seamless and was brought out promptly by the server and food running helpers so that we all had our plates at the same time. The food was great, for what it is- it's definitely southern and the prixe fixed menu had shrimp and grits with ham which was awesome, however a bit salty--- but I a) don't usually order like that b) am not from the south so I'm assuming it was perfect because it definitely didn't keep me from eating every last bite. If I ordered the same meal again I'd just let them know to go easy on the salt. We had a great time and will be back in the future when we are ready to splurge on another great portioned southern meal. Service was great until the last 15 minutes when it seemed to take forever to get the checks and then for Chris to run the cards and find a pen for us to share. As a former server I would've asked first before taking any orders if all the checks were separate and been check ready as dessert was being served. Beautiful atmosphere, much bigger than I thought- I would consider hosting a baby/bridal shower in the back part of the restaurant if that is offered there. We had fun! Reservation was at 7 and we were out with three courses and drinks by 9:10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I highly recommend this establishment.JohnDined on 11/20/2014Starting with John our waiter this hidden gem is worth the visit. The chef even checked to make sure all was well. From the ravioli to the fried pie the food was excellent. The brisket melted in the mouth and the shrimp and grits were amazing We have been to many dining establishments in and around Memphis. From very upscale to very low brow. This rates with the best!!! The food, service and atmosphere were superb!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RaineythefoodieDined on 11/17/2014Found this gem durning my yearly downtown diner venture. Love the food. Great atmosphere, great staff.I will certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Comfort FoodLove2DineVIPDined on 11/16/2014We were looking for a place to eat lunch downtown and found this place on urban spoon. The reviews were good so decided to try it. We both had the roasted beef brisket with brown sugar glaze over garlic mashed potatoes with a side of grilled asparagus. It was excellent. We also had a bisque soup and garden salad then hot blueberry fried pies with ice cream. Service started a little slow but they got it together and everything was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner friendly serviceOutwiththeladiesDined on 11/8/2014Recently in Memphis for a convention and found this in a list of nearby restaurants. Decided to give it a try. Had the brisket and it melted in your mouth. Okra was great and desserts appealingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the food and live Jazz band.SchelpsDined on 10/31/2014The food is all fresh and homemade. I had short ribs and grit cakes and they were fabulous. Our service was amazing. Great atmosphere and music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will come back!ReneDined on 10/31/2014Husband and I dropped in before a show at the Orpheum. Our reservation was for 5:45, and all appetizers/ small plates were half off, so we tried several. Shrimp and grits were amazing, as was the baked avocado. The lobster ravioli was yummy! The catfish bites were tasty, and enough for a meal by itself. A side of mac and cheese would make Oprah swoon. A selection of drinks was only $5 each. We will be back!Special Features:
- Nice Sunday BrunchDTGirl13Dined on 10/26/2014This was our second visit for Sunday brunch and both times the food was good, some unique dishes and there was nice, quiet music. Really good Bloody Mary. We will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014The service was very slow and the waiter did not come back to us often......the food was really good and the drink specials were the best in town, so that was a positive and i would recommend the place for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern BellevisiyorDined on 10/18/2014Really cool decor. Staff friendly and attentive without being intrusive. Selective menu artfully prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One-on-One ServicewertyDined on 10/14/2014Great food and service! Will definitely drive downtown to go there again. Best Shrimp and Grits I ever had!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Christopher, our server was terrific. Knowledgeable, professional and friendly. An attentive staff, great food. We will return the next time we're in Memphis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local ChefMemphisFoodieDined on 9/18/2014Very good , fresh farm to table fare, with creative dinning. Reasonable wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My expectations were too high...s123VIPDined on 9/6/2014Really liked previous reviews, but the experience was disappointing: The place is very simple (which I like), service was somewhat amateurish (new server -- so not a biggie), but most importantly food was nothing more than OK. Uninspiring.
- Brunch at BelleStunna15Dined on 9/6/2014It was awesone! Service and food were superb, will definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food and serviceMemphisfoodVIPDined on 8/22/2014Really good food (particularly the brisket) with great service. Seems to be busier at lunch than dinner, but both are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodTrogVIPDined on 8/8/2014The food at Belle was great. Sadly, the decor and the service take away from the food. The brisket was very delicious, tender, and nicely prepared with the potatoes. The aesthetic/branding is poor though and does not make one feel optimistic about the food potential, which is sad. I hope they can hang in there and get a designer to help them brand and market better.
- The following 7 reviews are from the Belle - A Southern Bistro reviews archive.
- Great service, great menuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014Our waitress was outstanding, food was excellent, they easily and pleasantly accommodated my changing reservations to an earlier time as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful and charmingGeraldDined on 7/22/2014I had dinner last night with a "foodie" friend that had never been to Memphis. We walked into the beautiful restaurant with tall ceiling and a full service bar. The happy hour special were $2 domestic beers, $3 wines and cocktails. What caught my attention were the locally brewed craft beers on draft. They were Memphis made. We started with appetizers: baked lump crabmeat avocado, this was a real treat. An amazing concoction. I had another app as well, the goat cheese balls. It was made with Tennessee cheese. Delicious. For dinner, she ate the blacken salmon and I had the brisket. Each fork full was moist and tender and full of flavor. Totally exceeded our expectations. We will definitely be back. Belle's is AWESOME!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okay!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2014Trying to find parking for the restaurant proved to be a challenge. I did not expect to pay $6 to park to eat at the restaurant. The server was fantastic and attentive. The food however was not up to par. Everyone in my party ordered chicken and waffles. My chicken was tough and overcooked. The waffle was under cooked. Overall the food was just okay. I will give it another try. The spot is a good looking restaurant with a beautiful bar.Special Features:
- DTGirl13Dined on 6/29/2014We visited Belle - A Southern Bistro for the first time during Sunday Brunch. The food was very good, especially the Chicken and Waffle. There was live music that was pleasant and just the right volume so we could enjoy the music but still visit. The Bloody Mary was excellent. We will go here again!Special Features:
- refreshingly fresh disheswineanddineDined on 6/13/2014This dinner was such a surprise treat. We started with the Goat Cheese Balls, very tasty with a sweet and spicy sauce. The Blackened Salmon was my choice for dinner while my husband had the Country Fried Ribeye - yes, they battered and fried a 12 ounce cut of ribeye!! You can get it blackened or grilled as well. It was amazingly delicious with a homemade white gravy, and the bleu cheese au gratin potatoes complemented beautifully. The salmon was seasoned and grilled, flaky, moist and mouth watering. I especially loved the Broccoli Mornay Casserole and my husband raved about the smoked cheddar cheese grits. Next time, I am going to save room for the southern dessert specialty, fresh fruit fried pie with ice cream, currently blueberry.Special Features:
- YES!! A Southern BistrolocalnotchainDined on 6/11/2014Formerly named Belle Diner, this place is NOT a diner or your typical "meat and three" spot. The restaurant has a spacious, comfortable atmosphere with interesting decor, and the staff is knowledgeable and attentive. The Crab Baked Avocado, a unique dish of warm avocado, halved and topped with crab meat and a lime butter sauce was a great starter. I enjoyed the Beef Brisket in Bourbon Brown Sugar Glaze. This dish is melt in your mouth delicious. My date had the Roasted Chicken with Basmati Rice and Brandy Pan Jus - Superb! The blackened green tomatoes and garlic spinach were both fresh and delicious. Our helpful server, Jonathan, recommended the Lemon Mascarpone for dessert, made with fresh lemons and homemade pastry. Perfect choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good brunch, friendly serviceMikeVIPDined on 6/8/2014We were in Memphis for a weekend, and nowhere leapt out of Google or Opentable as a good place for Brunch in the downtown area. We opted for Belle and were glad that we did. Good bloody Maries and an excellent steak and eggs! All delivered by a very friendly server. Hopefully they will get their website fixed soon (if it is not yet fixed when you read this, don't be put off by that fact) and get the custom that they clearly deserve.Special Features: