707 West Main St
Charlottesville, VA 22903Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bellas-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 4343274833x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday- Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
(CLOSED 4:00pm - 5:00pm)
Monday- Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday 5:00pm- 11:00pm
Saturday 11:00am- 11:00pm
Sunday 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: William Cooper
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We do it all. Give us a call.
A word from Bella's Restaurant
Bella's is an authentic Roman Italian family style restaurant. Bella’s values are to treat customers like family and provide them with great Roman-Italian food at an affordable price. We provide an authentic Italian atmosphere of Family, Food, Happiness.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Bella's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Charlottesville ›
Bella's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)good for groups (50)fit for foodies (46)special occasion (42)romantic (27)notable wine list (15)kid-friendly (13)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (7)great for lunch (7)late-night find (4)scenic view (4)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great place to EntertainOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2014The service is always exceptional. Great place to entertain out of town guests. Enjoy the service.Special Features:
- Yummy Food & come in hungryFoodieWannaBeDined on 10/13/2014The grilled Gorgonzola salad is the best thing on the menu in my opinion. Pasta is delicious - I tried to order the gluten free, but they were out...my guess is they don't get too many requests for it. Their portions are huge so make sure you have someone to share with OR you will at least have leftovers for another meal. Liquor pours appear to be on the short side - either that or every other restaurant we go to is generous with their - not sure which it is. We will definitely be back again and order wine instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but way too much food!NewHopeDinerVIPDined on 10/12/2014The food was delicious and the restaurant had a decent wine list. The place is family run and our waiter was very friendly and good at describing the nature of the dishes. However, one major drawback - each of the dishes we ordered was way too much food. We ordered 2 appetizers, 3 salads and 4 entrees for 4 people. There was enough food to feed about 8 people - maybe even more - with all of the food we received. The waiter should have been more explicit about how much food was provided. Our orders were for the 1-2 people sizes,not the 3-4 sizes. Clearly the lasagna, the eggplant parmesan and the rigatoni portion were way beyond what you would expect at any place that serves this style of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Saturday night spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014There were a lot of great food and wine options. My friends and I felt very relaxed and welcomed. Everything was delicious!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014Went with 4 ladies for a weekend away. Found this lovely spot on trip advisor and they had lady minute dinner availability. Fantastic food! The risotto balls (don't remember their name on the menu) were AMAZING! We should have ordered more. Loved the atmosphere. Wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but poor atmosphereLoveBudDined on 10/11/2014The food was very good but the service was not enjoyable or welcoming. From the minute we arrived we felt we were rushed to eat and hustled out of there so they could fill our table. We were not allowed to linger over the appetizers and drinks as dinner was already arriving. The left over dinners were boxed and brought back along with the check. The waiter did not offer a dessert menu or coffee. The entire staff was all business. No welcoming smiles. The only way we would return is for take out not for a nice casual evening out.
- Gracious PlentyOutandaboutDined on 10/9/2014We were a little weary at the end of a week's vacation and had a taste for Italian. Bella's was the perfect fit. Very ample portions of very good food. We put the leftovers in our ice chest and had them for dinner the following night when we returned home. Also, the Pinot Noir was outstanding.Special Features:
- we missed Mike!cvilleeats1Dined on 10/7/2014Not sure if Mike is still a waiterat Bella's--waitress we had this time didnt compareSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014Bella's serves high end but traditional Italian food. All of the food is VERY good. Family style.Special Features:
- Bistro in the cityJerseygirlDined on 10/4/2014Found Bella's by accident looking for another eatery, we've been back 3 times! Menu isn't "large" but the selection is good. Portions are huge and they're actually proportioned for two people or 4 so they're great for group dinners. Price is reasonable.Special Features:
- Great experience, wonderful food.AGraceDined on 10/3/2014Restaurant was super busy, with people waiting outside, but table was ready when we arrived 10 minutes early. Amazing food, wine and service! Wish this restaurant was in my hometown!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it used to beCathy22911Dined on 10/3/2014We have always enjoyed Bellas. This time the food was not up to par. The meatballs were very dry and the bruschetta was only fair. The star was the grilled salad, but something has definitely changed. Our server was prompt but not super friendly. I did not see the staff we are used to.
- Great serviceLaReineDined on 9/30/2014Our waitress was very pleasant and helpful. Loved the family style dining. Carbonara was tasty but bit dry and no trace of eggs. Overall, nice dining experience.Special Features:
- Great experienceSigEpBillDined on 9/27/2014Nice to find a great local restaurant - enjoyed the 'family style' as we were together as a family. Daughters 16 & 19 were very pleased.Special Features:
- Pasta and friendsRstarsDined on 9/20/2014Went a group of 10 college students (son's 21st b-day). Been there before and preordered before this trip. Big portion sizes and no lack of quality. Live in NYC but try to stop in every time we make it to Cville.Special Features:
- snarky waiterjaybirdDined on 9/19/2014We have dined at Bella several times before and understand the portion options of 2 or 4, etc... But we wanted the smaller single portion for spaghetti meatballs for our 10 year old and specifically discussed this with the waiter; he brought the serving for 2 and we did not realize until the bill came and then he was very snarky about it and would not budge. He should have gotten the manager and had him handle it. Will not recommend Bella.Special Features:
- ExcallentLcaudillDined on 9/16/2014Excellent service and food. Cant say enough good about our Service which was outstanding. Fun as the food is served family style and there is more than enough to go around. Neat twist on italian food!Special Features:
- if you love good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/1/2014if you love good food Bella's is a must. Quality and unique Italian dishes. ingredients and presentations are superb. Customized some vegetarian alternatives. service was a bit slow at times. A fine dining experience for a family or for special date. highly recommended iSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must Eat LasagnaAshmanDined on 8/31/2014The food is very good, but the lasagna (Pasta al forno) is out of this world. The best I have ever tasted; nothing else is even close. However, it is the friendly relaxed atmosphere, augmented by the family style dining, that has made this my favorite restaurant in Charlottesville.Special Features:
- wonderful as alwaysGr8PlaceDined on 8/29/2014Bella's is a wonderful place of old world charm, recipes and service. They go out of their way to make it not just a meal, but an experience. We're never disappointed. It's truly a must-visit destination for anyone visiting Charlottesville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StubieDined on 8/25/2014on the upside, we had a person with a garlic allergy and that was addressed quickly and to great satisfaction. we were not told about the special (which I would have ordered) but heard it being presented at the table behind us after we had ordered. The food was quite good and the service of sufficient size, but the background music seemed to cause the guests to talk louder and we had a difficult time having a conversation. After the second request, the volume was turned down. All in all a nice dinner with friends and we will go again - this time we'll ask for the specials!Special Features:
- Consistently Great FoodWallycatDined on 8/24/2014We have eaten at Bella's a number of times, both for lunch and dinner. The food is consistently excellent and the staff is welcoming, though professional. Our service has always been outstanding. The last time we were there, the noise level was a bit high. No one was being unruly, but a number of large groups were eating and talking, making it difficult to hear our own conversation.Special Features:
- Overall very goodDawnVIPDined on 8/22/2014Good food. Good service. Table in front is preferred. Family style dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SharonOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/19/2014The service is good, food is hot and fresh coming out of the kitchen. Ambience is perfect for all occasions. Very cozy and friendly. Nice neighborhood place for food and drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find; great foodEasy2pleaseDined on 8/12/2014I have been to Bella's twice in the last week and it has been excellent both times. Casual dining with great food and a nice wine list. It does serve family style which can be a little awkward with a larger group, but the quality of the food more than makes up for it. Sincerely, it gets my highest recommendation for non-formal dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Third PlaceFoodCityDined on 8/11/2014I wanted a surprise birthday party for my husband with our two grown sons and a few of our dearest, long-time friends. It had to have excellent food (as my husband's a great cook in his own right), be casual and friendly, yet have an authentic, urban neighborhood feel, like Boston's North End or Richmond's Fan. Bella's on West Main fit the bill. The wonderful waiter worked with me to get the right chianti, the right dinner combos for eight (it was terrific fun sharing the caprese, ceasar and house salads, and the primavera, carbonara and chicken parmesan entrees) and the right birthday message on the cannoli and lemon pound cake. This pitch perfect evening will be fondly remembered!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way over pricedDIningwithFriendsDined on 8/10/2014Bella's is a charming little place. It reminded me of retaurants back home in Brooklyn. The food was average. Nothing special. The prices were steep. Can check it off the list. No need to go back.
- Noisy, but good foodjeannieeatsDined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Bella's. The service was quick and friendly. The food was good, served family style, so be ready for that. The noise level and closeness of table spacing were the only things that detracted from our experience.Special Features:
- Delicious and fillingOnlyEatsMeatDined on 8/2/2014Went to Bella's with my parents for my father's birthday. He loves lasagna, so I wanted a place that would do it right. I had been to Bella's once before and enjoyed it, but this time they knocked it out of the park. We had a caesar salad (for 2) that was enormous, a couple appetizers (one would probably have been more than enough), and ordered the pasta al forno (lasagna) and veal alla parmigiana - each also for 2. The caesar was good enough that we were saying that would have made an excellent dinner by itself, and the lasagna and veal parmesan were outstanding. We couldn't even pick which we preferred between the two, which will make it tough to try something new the next time we return to Bella's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome ExperienceCvilleFoodieDined on 8/2/2014Went to Bella's with a party of 7. Had small portions of 2 appetizers, 3 salads, and 3 entrees, which was plenty of food for all of us. The food was delicious and the service was great! The tiramisu with "Happy Birthday" in chocolate sauce on the plate for one of the members of our group was a nice touch and finished off a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food!PollyTDined on 8/1/2014We have been to Bella's twice and the food has been consistently outstanding. The family style portions are huge, and we think it is a great deal. We look forward to eating our leftovers tonight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere - OK foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014My wife and I thought the concept of a "family style" restaurant serving meals to share (serving sizes for either 2 or 4) was an interesting concept and worth trying out. The server was very friendly and the food was prompt. We enjoyed the atmosphere, but the food, unfortunately, left much to be desired. We ordered the spaghetti and meatballs for 2. The noodles were overcooked, the meatballs were dry and crumbly, and the portion seemed to be on the smaller side, maybe a lunch-sized portion for 2. Afterwards, the coffee I ordered was delivered in essentially a bowl with a uselessly tiny handle. I found this to be rather awkward and hard to drink from. In summary, a nice place with friendly employees, but with food that was just so-so.Special Features:
- ExcellentBelindatuckerDined on 7/31/2014Food and service were too notch. I took my co-worker to celebrate second year bank school at UVA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BdayBelindatuckerDined on 7/27/2014We celebrated my husbands birthday. Awesome experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great seafoodkdutasDined on 7/25/2014I really enjoyed this experience; it was romantic, had a good wine list, and well-priced. Excellent quality.Special Features:
- Mid week birthday.OccasionaldinerDined on 7/22/2014Enjoyed a wonderful diner for my wife's birthday. Enjoyed the large portions of excellent food. The wait staff was great too. We will return again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/17/2014I'll give it an average overall as there were some great pieces to the meal and some bad ones. The arancini appetizer was fantastic, hot, and delicious so we were hopeful. Good wine and drinks too! We over ordered despite the staff's warnings. The small portions really could feed two adults and probably more. I'd give them a 2/3 for our entrees. The penne bolognese w/ meatballs was delicious, hot and everybody's favorite. The eggplant parm was cold. I would go back, order much less food and focus in on our favorites. Staff was very friendly and the atmosphere is terrific. Would be a great spot for a date night.Special Features:
- Great Findgoodeats1Dined on 7/16/2014We were visiting the area and found this restaurant. Would recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- Great ExperiencebigdDined on 7/15/2014We joined them for dinner on a weekday evening. The service was great and prompt, the food was tasty, the Gorgonzola salad was excellent as usual. The only complaint would be that the tables are very small and close together. Staggering them would seem less intrusive by other diners. Drinks are expensive, but the food was more than we could eat in one sitting. It was great the next day! We did not have room for dessert though, but I bet it was good. The noise level was less than on prior visits, due to the lack of children. Not really a child's restaurant anyway! But if they are there, they are close, by so be forewarned. Can ruin the romantic ambiance. Overall, highly recommended!Special Features:
- Great grilled romaine saladyummytummyVIPDined on 7/13/2014The best part of our dinner was the grilled romaine salad with gorgonzola. It was about $9 for three halves of romaine topped with yummy cheese and crunchables. Thought recommende by our server, the ragu with papparedelle lacked flavor or interest... nothing much, and certainly not as good as home-made. The arancini balls were made way before hand, I think, and though large, filled with a lot of rice and some gooey cheese. Not the best restaurant in Charlottesville, I hope.