707 West Main St
Charlottesville, VA 22903Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bellas-restaurant.com/
- Phone: (434) 327-4833
- Hours of Operation:
Monday- Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
(CLOSED 4:00pm - 5:00pm)
Monday- Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday 5:00pm- 11:00pm
Saturday 11:00am- 11:00pm
Sunday 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: William Cooper
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We do it all. Give us a call.
A word from Bella's Restaurant
Bella's is an authentic Roman Italian family style restaurant. Bella’s values are to treat customers like family and provide them with great Roman-Italian food at an affordable price. We provide an authentic Italian atmosphere of Family, Food, Happiness.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Bella's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Charlottesville ›
Bella's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (59)neighborhood gem (53)fit for foodies (47)special occasion (47)romantic (37)notable wine list (21)kid-friendly (13)hot spot (13)great for lunch (7)vibrant bar scene (6)scenic view (3)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Very loud, but solid foodveggiegirlDined on 11/22/2014It's fun to split salads and mains at Bella's. The food is good, but I was thirsty the whole night. Even tucked into a niche in the back, it was hard to hear friends at the other end of our table of 6. If you have any serious talking, or want to get to know someone better, this is not the place. If you want to see and be seen, and eat and go, enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bella's - great family style Italian restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/19/2014We had a group of 5 and ordered 3 different dishes for 2 along with a salad for 4. It was all delicious, and just the right amount of food for all of us. Service was very helpful with the ordering. Highly recommend Bella's. (There is a pay parking lot just across the street so parking was not a problem.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly ordinary.GandJDined on 11/18/2014The ambiance is nice but on a cold night tables near the front door of this small restaurant suffer. The grilled lettuce salad was excellent as was the bruschetta. But the main pasta dishes were ordinary. The sauce on the spaghetti and meatballs was bland, almost like canned tomato sauce. The pasta primavera had hardly any vegetables and was topped with cheese. Would perhaps try Bella again to taste other pasta dishes and once again have the grilled lettuce salad. But not in a hurry. A plus is the local beers on tap and decent wine list. Prices are reasonable. Dishes are served (and priced) for 2 or 4, meaning you share with someone or take some home. My wife and I got three meals out of our serving for 2.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014Most of our group had never been to Bella's before and the staff was great. They answered all of our questions and made wonderful suggestions. The food was great and there was so much of it that we were able to take a good bit home which was a surprise considering we had a group of nine which included two teenage boys. We would definitely go there again for other special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BellaLoverDined on 11/12/2014Great service (Jeannie) and always a great vibe. Best of dishes the grilled romaine salad and eggplant parmigiana. Always enjoy this restaurant with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencejaneyDined on 11/8/2014Great atmosphere and delicious food. Generous portions allowed for easy family-style dining. The antipasto, caesar salad, eggplant parm, zuppa de pesce were wonderful. Staff was attentive, cheerful and professional. Overall a great experience. Would definitely return and recommend to others. Suggest reservations, place was busy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressed this time!Italia4Dined on 11/2/2014This was my third time eating at Bella's and I'm was disappointed. The previous dining experiences were good. I had made reservation for 6 to celebrate a special birthday, i attempted to order a particular red wine that was on the menu and wAs told they were out of it, Same for the Italian green beans, same for the broccoli rabe. Really narrows down on choice of side dishes. We ordered family sized porchetta which was presented to us whole and was given a large fork and a dull knife to use to cut this large piece of pork myself...really weird! I nicely asked the server if the kitcen staff would cut it for us. It took over 15 minutes for it to come back! Seemed like there was no manager on duty, really unorganized. Will not be returning.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/2/2014Great as always! Small town feel with excellent food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refreshing menu & great ambiance!DinigDawnDined on 11/1/2014Beginning from the appetizers to the dessert the menu was not only unique it was executed excellently! The restaurant has a terrific ambiance for whatever occasion brings you to such a gem of a restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Gem on Main StreetTheTravelerDined on 10/27/2014The Lasagna is to die for!!! Server andre is from Italy and knows his stuff, and the prices are a bargain!!!Special Features:
- ImpressesSightSeeingCvilleDined on 10/26/2014We had several options for an Italian restaurant Sunday night but Bella's served-for-2 menu stuck out. The service was top notch and knowledgable, the food was fantastic and came in bigger portions than we'd expected, and to top it all off the check came in less than we guessed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable nightDavidnyDined on 10/25/2014My wife and I were excited to try a new Italian restaurant and Bella's didn't disappoint. The prices were reasonable, portions huge and food delisous. We'll be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be prepared to eat!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014Family style is not quite the best way to describe Bella's unless you have a family of Sumos! Very big portions. Order wisely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food inexplicably rude serviceRetiredandlovingitDined on 10/24/2014For my birthday celebration, I chose Bellas, made a reservation a week in advance and called 2 friends to join my husband and me for a wonderful night out. Upon arrival, we were shown to a table directly in the path of everyone entering and/or leaving. We requested another table. The hostess was not pleased to move us. Our food and wine, beer and cocktails were good, as was the food. We felt rushed by our waiter the entire meal. As we were finishing up our bottle of wine, the waiter informed us that the "owner" wanted our table and we would need to move along. We were stunned. We complied, but with such a bitter taste of POOR HOSPITALITY that no food could ever erase. They ruined a perfect night. The food was good, call in and take out.
- Has fallen offCriticVIPDined on 10/24/2014Eggplant parmigiana was somewhat limp, and dry, seemed clearly to have been reheated
- Not as good as I rememberwahoowa99Dined on 10/24/2014We seem to have caught Bella's on an off night. The carbonara had far too much garlic and tasted as if it had sat under a warming light for a few too many minutes. The chicken parmegan was wholly unmarkable and bereft of flavor. My dining companion, who had ranked Bella's among her favor Charlottesville restaurants, was particularly unimpressed by both dishes. Service was quite attentive by Charlottesville standards - perhaps overly so. The waiter must have asked for our dinner order 5 times while we were trying to enjoy our salad. With an increasing number of Italian options on the local dining scene, we'll be less inclined to pay a return visit in the immediate future.
- Good ItalianRegularDinerDined on 10/24/2014I dine here often for lunch and dinner. Must get the grilled gorgonzola...you won't find it elsewhere. I like everything here, but my favorite is the manzanela (eggplant). Nice selection of reasonably priced wine. You could become a regular, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to EntertainKrogersDined on 10/20/2014The service is always exceptional. Great place to entertain out of town guests. Enjoy the service.Special Features:
- Yummy Food & come in hungryFoodieWannaBeDined on 10/13/2014The grilled Gorgonzola salad is the best thing on the menu in my opinion. Pasta is delicious - I tried to order the gluten free, but they were out...my guess is they don't get too many requests for it. Their portions are huge so make sure you have someone to share with OR you will at least have leftovers for another meal. Liquor pours appear to be on the short side - either that or every other restaurant we go to is generous with their - not sure which it is. We will definitely be back again and order wine instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but way too much food!NewHopeDinerVIPDined on 10/12/2014The food was delicious and the restaurant had a decent wine list. The place is family run and our waiter was very friendly and good at describing the nature of the dishes. However, one major drawback - each of the dishes we ordered was way too much food. We ordered 2 appetizers, 3 salads and 4 entrees for 4 people. There was enough food to feed about 8 people - maybe even more - with all of the food we received. The waiter should have been more explicit about how much food was provided. Our orders were for the 1-2 people sizes,not the 3-4 sizes. Clearly the lasagna, the eggplant parmesan and the rigatoni portion were way beyond what you would expect at any place that serves this style of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Saturday night spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014There were a lot of great food and wine options. My friends and I felt very relaxed and welcomed. Everything was delicious!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014Went with 4 ladies for a weekend away. Found this lovely spot on trip advisor and they had lady minute dinner availability. Fantastic food! The risotto balls (don't remember their name on the menu) were AMAZING! We should have ordered more. Loved the atmosphere. Wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but poor atmosphereLoveBudDined on 10/11/2014The food was very good but the service was not enjoyable or welcoming. From the minute we arrived we felt we were rushed to eat and hustled out of there so they could fill our table. We were not allowed to linger over the appetizers and drinks as dinner was already arriving. The left over dinners were boxed and brought back along with the check. The waiter did not offer a dessert menu or coffee. The entire staff was all business. No welcoming smiles. The only way we would return is for take out not for a nice casual evening out.
- Gracious PlentyOutandaboutDined on 10/9/2014We were a little weary at the end of a week's vacation and had a taste for Italian. Bella's was the perfect fit. Very ample portions of very good food. We put the leftovers in our ice chest and had them for dinner the following night when we returned home. Also, the Pinot Noir was outstanding.Special Features:
- we missed Mike!cvilleeats1Dined on 10/7/2014Not sure if Mike is still a waiterat Bella's--waitress we had this time didnt compareSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014Bella's serves high end but traditional Italian food. All of the food is VERY good. Family style.Special Features:
- Bistro in the cityJerseygirlDined on 10/4/2014Found Bella's by accident looking for another eatery, we've been back 3 times! Menu isn't "large" but the selection is good. Portions are huge and they're actually proportioned for two people or 4 so they're great for group dinners. Price is reasonable.Special Features:
- Great experience, wonderful food.AGraceDined on 10/3/2014Restaurant was super busy, with people waiting outside, but table was ready when we arrived 10 minutes early. Amazing food, wine and service! Wish this restaurant was in my hometown!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it used to beCathy22911Dined on 10/3/2014We have always enjoyed Bellas. This time the food was not up to par. The meatballs were very dry and the bruschetta was only fair. The star was the grilled salad, but something has definitely changed. Our server was prompt but not super friendly. I did not see the staff we are used to.
- Great serviceLaReineDined on 9/30/2014Our waitress was very pleasant and helpful. Loved the family style dining. Carbonara was tasty but bit dry and no trace of eggs. Overall, nice dining experience.Special Features:
- Great experienceSigEpBillDined on 9/27/2014Nice to find a great local restaurant - enjoyed the 'family style' as we were together as a family. Daughters 16 & 19 were very pleased.Special Features:
- Pasta and friendsRstarsDined on 9/20/2014Went a group of 10 college students (son's 21st b-day). Been there before and preordered before this trip. Big portion sizes and no lack of quality. Live in NYC but try to stop in every time we make it to Cville.Special Features:
- snarky waiterjaybirdDined on 9/19/2014We have dined at Bella several times before and understand the portion options of 2 or 4, etc... But we wanted the smaller single portion for spaghetti meatballs for our 10 year old and specifically discussed this with the waiter; he brought the serving for 2 and we did not realize until the bill came and then he was very snarky about it and would not budge. He should have gotten the manager and had him handle it. Will not recommend Bella.Special Features:
- ExcallentLcaudillDined on 9/16/2014Excellent service and food. Cant say enough good about our Service which was outstanding. Fun as the food is served family style and there is more than enough to go around. Neat twist on italian food!Special Features:
- if you love good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/1/2014if you love good food Bella's is a must. Quality and unique Italian dishes. ingredients and presentations are superb. Customized some vegetarian alternatives. service was a bit slow at times. A fine dining experience for a family or for special date. highly recommended iSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must Eat LasagnaAshmanDined on 8/31/2014The food is very good, but the lasagna (Pasta al forno) is out of this world. The best I have ever tasted; nothing else is even close. However, it is the friendly relaxed atmosphere, augmented by the family style dining, that has made this my favorite restaurant in Charlottesville.Special Features:
- wonderful as alwaysGr8PlaceDined on 8/29/2014Bella's is a wonderful place of old world charm, recipes and service. They go out of their way to make it not just a meal, but an experience. We're never disappointed. It's truly a must-visit destination for anyone visiting Charlottesville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StubieDined on 8/25/2014on the upside, we had a person with a garlic allergy and that was addressed quickly and to great satisfaction. we were not told about the special (which I would have ordered) but heard it being presented at the table behind us after we had ordered. The food was quite good and the service of sufficient size, but the background music seemed to cause the guests to talk louder and we had a difficult time having a conversation. After the second request, the volume was turned down. All in all a nice dinner with friends and we will go again - this time we'll ask for the specials!Special Features:
- Consistently Great FoodWallycatDined on 8/24/2014We have eaten at Bella's a number of times, both for lunch and dinner. The food is consistently excellent and the staff is welcoming, though professional. Our service has always been outstanding. The last time we were there, the noise level was a bit high. No one was being unruly, but a number of large groups were eating and talking, making it difficult to hear our own conversation.Special Features:
- Overall very goodDawnVIPDined on 8/22/2014Good food. Good service. Table in front is preferred. Family style dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.