707 West Main St
Charlottesville, VA 22903Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bellas-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 4343274833x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday- Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
(CLOSED 4:00pm - 5:00pm)
Monday- Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday 5:00pm- 11:00pm
Saturday 11:00am- 11:00pm
Sunday 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: William Cooper
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We do it all. Give us a call.
A word from Bella's Restaurant
Bella's is an authentic Roman Italian family style restaurant. Bella’s values are to treat customers like family and provide them with great Roman-Italian food at an affordable price. We provide an authentic Italian atmosphere of Family, Food, Happiness.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Bella's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Charlottesville ›
Bella's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (49)special occasion (43)good for groups (41)fit for foodies (35)romantic (22)notable wine list (15)kid-friendly (15)hot spot (10)great for lunch (9)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (4)scenic view (4)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- StubieDined on 8/25/2014on the upside, we had a person with a garlic allergy and that was addressed quickly and to great satisfaction. we were not told about the special (which I would have ordered) but heard it being presented at the table behind us after we had ordered. The food was quite good and the service of sufficient size, but the background music seemed to cause the guests to talk louder and we had a difficult time having a conversation. After the second request, the volume was turned down. All in all a nice dinner with friends and we will go again - this time we'll ask for the specials!Special Features:
- Consistently Great FoodWallycatDined on 8/24/2014We have eaten at Bella's a number of times, both for lunch and dinner. The food is consistently excellent and the staff is welcoming, though professional. Our service has always been outstanding. The last time we were there, the noise level was a bit high. No one was being unruly, but a number of large groups were eating and talking, making it difficult to hear our own conversation.Special Features:
- Overall very goodDawnVIPDined on 8/22/2014Good food. Good service. Table in front is preferred. Family style dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SharonOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/19/2014The service is good, food is hot and fresh coming out of the kitchen. Ambience is perfect for all occasions. Very cozy and friendly. Nice neighborhood place for food and drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find; great foodEasy2pleaseDined on 8/12/2014I have been to Bella's twice in the last week and it has been excellent both times. Casual dining with great food and a nice wine list. It does serve family style which can be a little awkward with a larger group, but the quality of the food more than makes up for it. Sincerely, it gets my highest recommendation for non-formal dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Third PlaceFoodCityDined on 8/11/2014I wanted a surprise birthday party for my husband with our two grown sons and a few of our dearest, long-time friends. It had to have excellent food (as my husband's a great cook in his own right), be casual and friendly, yet have an authentic, urban neighborhood feel, like Boston's North End or Richmond's Fan. Bella's on West Main fit the bill. The wonderful waiter worked with me to get the right chianti, the right dinner combos for eight (it was terrific fun sharing the caprese, ceasar and house salads, and the primavera, carbonara and chicken parmesan entrees) and the right birthday message on the cannoli and lemon pound cake. This pitch perfect evening will be fondly remembered!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way over pricedDIningwithFriendsDined on 8/10/2014Bella's is a charming little place. It reminded me of retaurants back home in Brooklyn. The food was average. Nothing special. The prices were steep. Can check it off the list. No need to go back.
- Noisy, but good foodjeannieeatsDined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Bella's. The service was quick and friendly. The food was good, served family style, so be ready for that. The noise level and closeness of table spacing were the only things that detracted from our experience.Special Features:
- Delicious and fillingOnlyEatsMeatDined on 8/2/2014Went to Bella's with my parents for my father's birthday. He loves lasagna, so I wanted a place that would do it right. I had been to Bella's once before and enjoyed it, but this time they knocked it out of the park. We had a caesar salad (for 2) that was enormous, a couple appetizers (one would probably have been more than enough), and ordered the pasta al forno (lasagna) and veal alla parmigiana - each also for 2. The caesar was good enough that we were saying that would have made an excellent dinner by itself, and the lasagna and veal parmesan were outstanding. We couldn't even pick which we preferred between the two, which will make it tough to try something new the next time we return to Bella's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome ExperienceCvilleFoodieDined on 8/2/2014Went to Bella's with a party of 7. Had small portions of 2 appetizers, 3 salads, and 3 entrees, which was plenty of food for all of us. The food was delicious and the service was great! The tiramisu with "Happy Birthday" in chocolate sauce on the plate for one of the members of our group was a nice touch and finished off a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food!PollyTDined on 8/1/2014We have been to Bella's twice and the food has been consistently outstanding. The family style portions are huge, and we think it is a great deal. We look forward to eating our leftovers tonight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere - OK foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014My wife and I thought the concept of a "family style" restaurant serving meals to share (serving sizes for either 2 or 4) was an interesting concept and worth trying out. The server was very friendly and the food was prompt. We enjoyed the atmosphere, but the food, unfortunately, left much to be desired. We ordered the spaghetti and meatballs for 2. The noodles were overcooked, the meatballs were dry and crumbly, and the portion seemed to be on the smaller side, maybe a lunch-sized portion for 2. Afterwards, the coffee I ordered was delivered in essentially a bowl with a uselessly tiny handle. I found this to be rather awkward and hard to drink from. In summary, a nice place with friendly employees, but with food that was just so-so.Special Features:
- ExcellentBelindatuckerDined on 7/31/2014Food and service were too notch. I took my co-worker to celebrate second year bank school at UVA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BdayBelindatuckerDined on 7/27/2014We celebrated my husbands birthday. Awesome experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great seafoodkdutasDined on 7/25/2014I really enjoyed this experience; it was romantic, had a good wine list, and well-priced. Excellent quality.Special Features:
- Mid week birthday.OccasionaldinerDined on 7/22/2014Enjoyed a wonderful diner for my wife's birthday. Enjoyed the large portions of excellent food. The wait staff was great too. We will return again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/17/2014I'll give it an average overall as there were some great pieces to the meal and some bad ones. The arancini appetizer was fantastic, hot, and delicious so we were hopeful. Good wine and drinks too! We over ordered despite the staff's warnings. The small portions really could feed two adults and probably more. I'd give them a 2/3 for our entrees. The penne bolognese w/ meatballs was delicious, hot and everybody's favorite. The eggplant parm was cold. I would go back, order much less food and focus in on our favorites. Staff was very friendly and the atmosphere is terrific. Would be a great spot for a date night.Special Features:
- Great Findgoodeats1Dined on 7/16/2014We were visiting the area and found this restaurant. Would recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- Great ExperiencebigdDined on 7/15/2014We joined them for dinner on a weekday evening. The service was great and prompt, the food was tasty, the Gorgonzola salad was excellent as usual. The only complaint would be that the tables are very small and close together. Staggering them would seem less intrusive by other diners. Drinks are expensive, but the food was more than we could eat in one sitting. It was great the next day! We did not have room for dessert though, but I bet it was good. The noise level was less than on prior visits, due to the lack of children. Not really a child's restaurant anyway! But if they are there, they are close, by so be forewarned. Can ruin the romantic ambiance. Overall, highly recommended!Special Features:
- Great grilled romaine saladyummytummyVIPDined on 7/13/2014The best part of our dinner was the grilled romaine salad with gorgonzola. It was about $9 for three halves of romaine topped with yummy cheese and crunchables. Thought recommende by our server, the ragu with papparedelle lacked flavor or interest... nothing much, and certainly not as good as home-made. The arancini balls were made way before hand, I think, and though large, filled with a lot of rice and some gooey cheese. Not the best restaurant in Charlottesville, I hope.
- great italian cuisineCharlottesvillianVIPDined on 7/12/2014Fantastic Italian food, great service. The only problem - beware of the size of the servings - the menu is unusual in that most dishes are sized for 2 or 4 people. What if there are three diners? That was our situation - we ended up with lots of bagged food. This is why we gave 4 stars rather than five for the menu.Special Features:
- Good All AroundweezyDined on 7/11/2014Bella's really has it going on. The service is excellent, with the staff being very knowledgeable and attentive, but not too attentive. The food is wonderful and the portions are huge. I always have some food to take home for the next day. Although the restaurant can be very noisy, it is worth the visit. This is one of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little Italy in CharlotsvillePRZackDined on 7/9/2014Reminded me a lot of Little Italy near Baltimore's Inner Harbor: family-owned and run, real Italian dishes, top-notch, very lively and upbeat service from entering the front door and throughout the entire meal. Free on-street parking (we managed to grab a spot directly in-front). The waiter really added to the ambiance and experience, he knew ever nuance of each dish and suggested options. The portions are large and well-prepared. Keeping with the "flavor," the seating is a little cozy, but comfortable. As a bonus, the owner and his wife (recipes were all her mothers direct from Italy, she told us...) both visited our table, chatted. An easy call for a return trip. Finally, think of Bella's as an experience, rather than a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeSnstatesDined on 7/8/2014Bella's is great. Always fantastic food and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food for Larger PartiesDrive2EatDined on 6/30/2014My favorite go-to place for entertaining friends when they come to town - large portions to share and easier on the budget as a result. Finally had the grilled gorgonzola salad and it did not disappoint! I would highly recommend this as an appetizer.Special Features:
- Terrible service ruins good foodgoodeatsVIPDined on 6/29/2014Worst service I have ever had! Sadly, food was tasty but hard to enjoy when service was so awful. Tables too close together so had to hear our neighbors the entire time, service from waitress was almost nonexistent, took hour+ to get apps and when we complained to manager was confronted with obnoxious, condescending attitude - basically saying that "everyone had to wait tonight, you should have noticed it was a busy night." On positive side, after an email, owner was gracious & apologetic. However, I wont recommend C'ville location to anyone any time soon. Good food can only gets you so far in restaurant biz, offensive service will sink you and, if C'ville location doesn't change some staffing, I'm afraid that will be their fate.
- smaller portionsdickyDined on 6/28/2014This visit included entrée and calamari orders much smaller than normal disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first time experienceRicci2014Dined on 6/25/2014Amazing dining experience from start to finish... Dinner began with the caprese salad, followed by maincourse pasta Al Forna and lastly finishing up with a liimoncello poundcake. Looking forward to my next visitSpecial Features:
- Classic Italian - Large PortionsimichuDined on 6/24/2014Our whole table was pleased with Bella's and even ordering conservatively, we had plenty of leftovers to take home. Food was excellent and service was terrific.Special Features:
- Great Italian foodDeliciosoDined on 6/21/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal, were pleased with our service and liked the ambience. Despite the generous portions, we devoured almost everything we ordered. No doubt we were hungry, but the food was excellent. Our only complaint was that the noise level was quite high, making it difficult to hear conversation. Then again we were a big group ourselves and probably contributed to the noise level. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like dining in Venicefirstofthecville450Dined on 6/20/2014Nearly everything about house salad and dinner special of pan-seared chicken over penne, sun-dried tomatoes, and mushrooms in cheese sauce was perfect. The server was outstanding. We tipped 25%.Special Features:
- Great Place for a Fun Evening!luvgreatfoodDined on 6/15/2014We've eaten at Bella's twice and love to take our guests from out of town. They are always impressed with the fabulous food and fun dining experience. Most people are in groups; large or small and everyone is having a good time. We always eat too much because the food is amazing traditional Italian cooking and the wine is wonderful.Special Features:
- We really like Bella's.CvilleRevDined on 6/15/2014The food is mostly excellent, the service friendly, and the atmosphere pleasing except for the incredible noise level we encountered at our past visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just O.k.FoodLoverDined on 6/15/2014Claimed that their computer was down and never reserved our table through the LS app. Will call next time to reserve.Special Features:
- Good food/Poor serviceacmcDined on 6/15/2014I took my father here for fathers day and was so disappointed. There was one server for the full restaurant who was running around like crazy, but under-serving everyone. The hostess helped here and there, but we rarely had our glasses refilled, no one checked to see if we needed anything after we got the meal, and it took ages for our table to be cleared. It's too pricey for the lack of service.
- A Charlottesville Staple!DTWStephenVIPDined on 6/13/2014Bella's never disappoints! It was the first restaurant that my husband and I ever ate together at in Charlottesville before we moved here over a year ago. We continue to go back because the service is impeccable, the ambiance is supreme and the food is the best Italian you can get in Central Virginia. Remember to share your entrees and always come especially hungry. The sausage and peppers is the best dish on the menu and you have to try the grilled salad with Gorgonzola, Pancetta and balsamic. It's always great to know this place is right around the corner when you're craving amazing Italian in a great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Porchetta to die for !OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/7/2014We came to this restaurant for my sons graduation lunch. Our the extremely friendly Italian waiter Gave us tasty Mamosa's, so so chicken Parmesan and a very tasty porchetta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprised!GlobalTravelerNDinerVIPDined on 6/1/2014I didn't know what to order when most of the appetizers, pastas, and entrees were labeled "serve 2" and "serve 4" since I was. I wanted the minestrone soup but also wanted something a little more substantial. The waiter Michael was very helpful and suggested me to consider the "contourni" which was probably a better size for one person. I ordered the broccoli rabe and loved it. The minestrone soup was delicious as well. I will go back again to try other contourni items.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Grilled romaine salad was the best part of the meal! Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great family restaurantNoyesFamilyDined on 5/31/2014Pleasently surpised by the "family style" menu. A good value. The food was excellent!Special Features: