Bella Via Ristorante and Banquets
1899 Second St
Highland Park, IL 60035Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Bella Via Ristorante and Banquets
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bellaviahp.com/
- Phone: (847) 681-8300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Maurizio Lo Bosco
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Delicious Italian food and exceptional service, combined with beautiful rustic private rooms, set the scene for your next private event. Our private party room(s) accommodate up to 250 people for sit down dinner. Attached to the private party room(s) is a large 2200 square foot patio. We are dedicated to providing only the highest quality food and individualized attention from our experienced staff. We will tailor specific menus to meet your needs whether its for a Bar/Bat Mitzvah, Wedding or special occasion.
- Private Party Contact: Amir Bloom 8476818300
- Entertainment: Live music on our outdoor patio
A word from Bella Via Ristorante and Banquets
Bella Via Ristorante & Banquets is an upscale casual authentic Italian Restaurant located in downtown Highland Park. We feature southern and northern Italian fare and an extensive wine list highlighted by an impressive selection of Italian wines. The menu consists of a variety of appetizers, homemade pastas, fresh fish, tender veal, chicken and many other Italian favorites.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Bella Via Ristorante and Banquets - Best Restaurants in Highland Park ›
Bella Via Ristorante and Banquets reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)great for outdoor dining (30)good for groups (25)special occasion (17)fit for foodies (14)kid-friendly (13)notable wine list (8)great for lunch (8)romantic (7)late-night find (5)hot spot (4)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- consistently good and friendly.chibuilderDined on 11/21/2014It is always nice to visit Mauritzio and his crew at Bella Via. Good food, friendly atmosphere and the specials are always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our meal was goodJoleeVIPDined on 11/17/2014There were four of us for dinner. Everyone seemed pleased with their meals. I ordered the Veal piccata. It was very good, however the portion was very small. The appetizers were small also to share. Make sure you order extra food if you are a big eater. We decided to go elsewhere for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service is not consistentGarlicVIPDined on 11/17/2014Bella Via is in the neighborhood so it is easy to go to when it is freezing cold. the food is consistently good with enough specials to prevent menu boredom. Unfortunately, the service varies night tonight, and that is hard to explain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local place that gets betterDrDetroitVIPDined on 11/15/2014We enjoyed the relaxed neighborhood feel of the place after attending a film. It was a cold night and we were glad we didn't sit near the windows. My grilled fish was good while my wife's Halibut was not to as good. Calamari portion was skimpy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BelleVia is our favoritePatWVIPDined on 11/1/2014This is our favorite restaurant. The food, service and friendliness of the staff is unmatched! Very authentic Italian!Special Features:
- Neighborhood Gem.Jimbo6VIPDined on 11/1/2014Continues to be the home of the best veal piccata on the north shore. Steady service by friendly waiters and waitresses and good Italian wine. Top it off with fresh roasted coffee or expresso.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodsatisfiedDined on 10/23/2014We love Bella Via. It is always good. Servers are friendly. We had Murphy this time and everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $25 veal with canned tomatoesToughVealCannedVegetablesVIPDined on 10/17/2014I'll keep this short. Ordered a veal dish. Was told it was veal medallions. What arrived was pounded veal shoulder, in a mess of canned and jarred vegetables. I spoke to the manager on the way out (did not want to ruin the meal for everyone, but no one loved their dish). He said "we only use fresh vegetables". I said "I'll bet you my car those were canned tomatoes". He looked chagrined, and said, and I quote "Oh, yes, maybe the tomatoes." The artichokes were from a jar, and it came in a tasteless sauce, probably from canned stock, that had not been reduced at all. The server was a very young Irish kid, who knew nothing about Italian food, and (as mentioned above), did not know what cut of veal was in the dish. Worst meal in memory.
- So much wrong!northshorefoodieDined on 10/11/2014To begin with, we had to wait over 20 minutes form our RESERVED time. Then, we were rushed to order. That was a blessing in disguise since we did not have extra time to eat the stale bread that was served. I ordered a dish specifically requesting the calamari be omitted. It wasn't. A far bigger problem was my wife was served a gluten dish despite explicit she needed to be gluten free, and request that the chef be so informed. But he then allowed her to order a dish dreged in flour, which inexplicably got by him as well as everyone in the kitchen. When my wife brought this to the owener's attention on the way out, his attitute was all but dismissive (I don't think he understood what the problem was). Unbelievable.
- Many menu choicesLLChicagoVIPDined on 10/11/2014Difficult to decide what to order since there are so many options. I especially appreciated all of the vegetarian pasta choices. Food is well-prepared and tasty. Entrees are served with soup or salad. Dining room is small and can be noisy on a Saturday night. There is also a private dining room in back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodRedheadDined on 10/10/2014We went quite early before going to see a movie which is why it was blessedly quiet! Not so quiet usually and generally filled on weekends. My husband loves the veal which is very thin - every preparation is good. I had the house salad and added onions and parmesan as otherwise it's a fairly boring salad - could put a little something interesting in it to give it some pizzaz! I had the special shrimp appetizer which was excellent and asked for a side of broccoli and carrots which were had an unexpected and divine preparation. Our friends had pasta dishes which were very good but not outstanding. We eat at Bella Via often as it is consistently good for quality and they do a wonderful job of getting you out if you need to be gotten out fast!Special Features:
- Bella Via is wonderful!PatWVIPDined on 10/8/2014Bella Via is our favorite restaurant! Very authentic Italian cuisine and very delicious! We are never disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014My latest experience was not as good as previous visits. It may be that I ordered the wrong item.....veal. It was not of good quality and not very tasty.Special Features:
- ReliableMike2Dined on 9/27/2014I have been eating at Bella Via for 6 years and I have always found them to provide very good Italian food for a reasonable price in a great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicecday12345VIPDined on 9/12/2014We had the gnocchi with porcini mushrooms, and the veal saltimbocca, and both were outstanding. The tiramisu was excellent, firm but creamy (and a large portion). Our server was very friendly and her recommendations were spot on. This was our second time at Bella Via and both times we have had the same experience of great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JCB1Dined on 9/12/2014We have been here many of times and never had a bad experienceSpecial Features:
- A Nice Eveningdineat7Dined on 9/6/2014We really enjoyed our recent visit to Bella Via. The waiter was attentive and quite eager to please us. The food was great. Our table all ordered the minestrone soup and all of us enjoyed it. I ordered the chicken marsala which had plenty of mushrooms and tasted great. Others in our party ordered the veal special and the salmon special which they liked immensely. Most of the tables were filled and the room had an energetic vibe to it. Some people chose to eat outside as the weather was still nice. All in all it was quite a pleasant evening and we look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Excellent Neighborhood SpotDaniDined on 9/5/2014My husband and I decided to go here for dinner on a Friday night. The atmosphere was fun, service was excellent, and the food was great too. We will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- triangleartVIPDined on 8/30/2014as always the food was outstanding. ate outside and it was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet EveningRedheadDined on 8/27/2014The air was warm, a rainbow in the sky, and friends passing by as we ate outdoors. It was quiet, the food was delicious, and the company good. Three of us ate fish - grouper with artichokes, portobello mushrooms, and tomatoes in a white wine sauce or salmon vesuvio (peas in this dish would be a nice addition), the other ate chicken that was prepared like the grouper. The only soup option was minestrone (and has been for years) - time to add something interesting here. Dinner salads were fine, nothing exciting - it's easy to brighten up a regular salad and make it something special. All our dishes did not come at once; the chicken wasn't quite ready. My husband loves the veal but says that the portion is really not enough for him to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinner DisappontmentKrfdfVIPDined on 8/23/2014It was my wife's birthday, so she called to request a window table for 8, so that this request could be associated with my OpenTable reservation. Unfortunately and disappointingly, this was not done/honored. We had excellent service from our server and the food was fabulous, but the unapologetic and unaccommodating response from the front desk staff make a return visit for us unlikely....Special Features:
- Mixed PerformanceJimbo6VIPDined on 8/21/2014Ordinarily great food but failed to deliver good veal parmesan.. The veal was overcooked. It's not wise to be inattentive when preparing dinner for the wife. I had my usual Veal Piccata which I think is the best on the North Shore.Special Features:
- Love outdoor diningeagle2000VIPDined on 8/14/2014We had a delicious dinner dining outdoors. The food was, as usual, fantastic and the service the best. I love being able to swap out salmon for tilapia in the Tilapia Mediterranean.Special Features:
- Problems in the kitchenGlencoeDinerVIPDined on 8/8/2014Overall, this was a nice restaurant that needed to get things straightened out in the kitchen. One appetizer was cold and had to be sent back. Then a shrimp pasta dish only had one piece of shrimp. To make matters worse, both my wife and I felt ill later on. The good news from the kitchen is that the pizza was good. Another piece of good news was the service was great and very apologetic for the kitchen issues. I wouldn't go back. Too many other Italian restaurants with great food.Special Features:
- Always a great mealBeangirlVIPDined on 8/1/2014Great food, consistent quality, not too noisy, nice outdoor seating, a great go to place with a guaranteed excellent experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 210 reviews are from the Bella Via Ristorante and Banquets reviews archive.
- Excellent pre-concert spotjwandgaDined on 7/29/2014Bella Via, in downtown Highland Park, is an excellent spot for an early dinner before attending a concert at nearby Ravinia. We booked a 4:30 reservation, which gave us plenty of time before the 8 p.m. concert. Since it was early, the dining room was quite quiet (when it began to fill up later, the noise level increased somewhat, but was still quite acceptable). Service was attentive, but not annoying, and the food was excellent. I ordered a seafood risotto; my wife had veal piccata: both were well-presented and delicious. One minor negative: even thought it was early and not busy, the entrees were somewhat slow coming out of the kitchen. We have dined here a number of times in recent years, and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cudgelVIPDined on 7/26/2014Food is consistently top quality. Out door patio is one of the best.Special Features:
- not as good as I hopedJojoDined on 7/19/2014Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed! I remembered enjoying Bella Via very much in the past but haven't been there in a long time. While our waiter was very kind, he was not very good. He didn't check back with us, water glasses were not filled, and he brought out beer bottles without glasses (at a bar you expect to drink from the bottle but not at a nice restaurant). And, the food took forever to come out of the kitchen. Thankfully we were with good company but we were getting very hungry! My husbands fish was heavily covered with sauce - and wasn't that tasty. I was glad I got a simple pasta instead of fish… I would go back and hope for a better experience. If that doesn't go so well, that will be the end of it for me...I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT!MVYMVIPDined on 7/19/2014Food SUPERB! Ambiance GREAT! Service most OUTSTANDING!Special Features:
- GarlicVIPDined on 7/14/2014This was our second visit to Bella Via in recent weeks, and it was consistent and tasty. My only comment was that the food was not as hot as it should be served. I think that this was an issue in the kitchen rather than the server. Now that the pleasant surprise is gone from our first return visit, the restaurant must do more than be average. We are hopeful that it will.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dupage76Dined on 7/13/2014we had a very nice evening there. The service was good. Our waiter was very kind. Food was delicious.Special Features:
- Good food, service needs workOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/13/2014The food was good, but after being initially attentive, the service was very slow and inattentive the rest of the meal. Staff were friendly once we called their attention, but we shouldn't have to do that repeatedly! We were a party of 10, with children, for a special birthday. Dinner and dessert should not take 3 hours! We were disappointed overall.Special Features:
- OK for the moviespaletteandeyes4beautyVIPDined on 7/12/2014Salmon, and Tuscan style fish sp0ecial (forgot what) OK, like one of your co workers wife who uses good recipes. Nice wine list. Convenient for the movies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great italian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/10/2014This is the best Italian Restaurant in Highland Park and as good or better than any in Highwood. Try the veal meatballs ! Daily specials are always good. Food is fresh and well prepared . Waiter was very knowledgeable and attentive.Special Features:
- Dinner and movieGirlsVIPDined on 7/5/2014Too small of a table was given for party of six. Great service by waiterSpecial Features:
- Very enjoyablePinkyVIPDined on 7/5/2014The food was good, but the wait staff was great. Very friendly and speedy and efficient. There were six of us and everything came as we ordered. We definitly will return in the near future. Especially enjoyed eating out side! The noise level was ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Outstanding ServicesockgalDined on 6/28/2014The food was really excellent. I had veal marsala,others in our party had ciopino de pesce, salmon and chicken zingata (a special), all of which were delicious. The service was really outstanding with the waiter and busboy very attentive and polite. We couldn't give them five stars for this reason. First, it is a very noisy place. The front isn't too bad, but the back is quite noisy. Also, they ran out of bread- which is sort of ridiculous for a restaurant, but they did have a very large party in the back room, so I wouldn't think this was a usual occurrence. We would definitely go back here again (have been before to parties and individual dining). All in all, fine dining, not too expensive.Special Features:
- rustyVIPDined on 6/21/2014As always, a wonderful dining experience. This last time we went, though, I had the Veal Saltimbocca which was the most delicious Saltimbocca I've ever had. Simply exquisite. We've never had a bad meal, everything has always been delicious. However, what really is amazing is how they handle huge crowds with ease and friendliness. We will be back again and again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/19/2014I made a reservation for Osteria Via Stato in Chicago, but somehow this is the reservation you gave me. Luckily Osteria could accommodate me.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2014Second time I have been to this restaurant. Great atmosphere and very good food. Not a place for kids but wonderful for adults.Special Features: