Bella Trattoria Italiana
3854 Geary Blvd.
San Francisco, CA 94118Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Bella Trattoria Italiana
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bellatrattoriasf.com/
- Phone: 4152210305
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Fridays: 11:30am - 3pm; Dinner: Monday -Thursday 5:30pm-9:30 Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm. Sundays 3pm-9pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: David Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: call David to customize a catering menu to fit your budget as well as your catering needs.
- Private Party Contact: David Gonzalez 4152187133
A word from Bella Trattoria Italiana
Bella's notorious homemade pasta, cozy & inviting atmosphere and friendly service await you. We feature cusine from Southern Italia- slow cooked sugos, braised meats and various carpaccios.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Bella Trattoria Italiana - Best Restaurants in Richmond District ›
Bella Trattoria Italiana reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (77)romantic (49)fit for foodies (47)special occasion (33)notable wine list (20)good for groups (12)kid-friendly (11)hot spot (6)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Awesome place for a date.MF4MRDined on 10/11/2014Went here on a date Saturday night. We arrived and were seated promptly. The server we had was amazing. She let is try a couple wines before picking a bottle. We were on a date so we had a long dinner. Started with appetisers then ordered dinner. Top notch service, food was amazeballs and the prize was defently less expansive then you would think.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood spot in SFRoadWarriorDined on 10/9/2014The menue is small but interesting, and everything we had was excellent. The service was friendly and attentive. We were there on a weeknight and were able to get a table at the time we wanted, but it stayed busy the whole time we were there, so reservations would be a good idea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2014Wonderful neighborhood eatery. Small, not overly noisey like a lot of places, and the food is fabulous and authentic. Only negative was I thought the wine was over-priced, but I've been there a couple of times and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Real Italian FoodMattyDined on 10/5/2014The menu was simple but the restaurant delivered on its promise to provide authentic Italian food. The obviously handmade pasta was cooked perfectly. This is such good food and the chefs are not trying too hard to make these meals appear "gourmet." This is where you want to eat when you are craving Italian. Carpaccio is also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little gem on a busy streetOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2014The Gnocchi is a must try for anyone dining here for the first time. The Panna Cota was also quite good, served with a balsalmic glaze.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It could have been so much betterESP3501VIPDined on 10/4/2014It started out as a nice evening. Table by the window, nice bottle of wine. The shared antipasto was not too attractive and very boring. We asked several times for grated cheese. When our main courses came out, one of the two was completely the wrong dish. It took some time to get a server back to the table to tell him that. No apology whatsoever. They did take the other entree away so at least it didn't sit there getting cold. Both entrees came back. Mine was pretty tasteless. Note: if you want artificial sweetener in your coffee - bring your own. They only offer Sweet n Low which floored me.
- Solid and Priced WellthebloggerDined on 9/30/2014Went because we wanted Italian and this place had open tables on Open Table. Entrance is a bit bizzarre you think you're coming into the kitchen but after that was a great place to eat. Food was simple but very flavorful and cooked well. Bread was great. Even a free desert which was amazing. Service outstanding and very fairly priced. Will go again. Also parking was easy to find. Even the house wine was very good. If you're looking for great Italian food that is priced reasonably in a nice but not stuffy setting, this is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bella TrattoriaKittyDuckDined on 9/30/2014Bella Trattoria is a great little Italian restaurant. It has a good selection of pastas and the complimentary bread with olive oil and sundried tomatoes was delicious! Definitely will come back in the future.Special Features:
- foodloversfVIPDined on 9/30/2014Bella is one of my favorite go to Italian restaurant in SF that I've been going to for over 10yrs. Easy to get to on the 38 bus (stops right at the front door!), great service, extensive wine list and you never leave there feeling hungry still.Special Features:
- Hidden GemChubbyHappyFoodieDined on 9/27/2014Love this place. They always remember me and make me feel like a VIP. The food is the best Italian I have had outside Italy and yet it is totally unassuming. Everyone I know always asks to come back whenever I bring them! It has become a favorite for all of my crewSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014Delicious well prepared food. Service was attentive. Caesar salad was nice and crisp with nice dressing. Veal Scaloppine with mushrooms was one of the best I've ever had anywhere. Excellent pasta with clams. Definitely going back when in SF again...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional Italian FoodMrJayShermanDined on 9/19/2014Never had REAL, fresh pasta until my girlfriend and I went to Bella Trattoria Italiana, service was great, the front of house manager seated us even though we were a bit early on our reservation. He took our coats? who does that now a days? No one thats who. He even noticed our table was a little wobbly so he leveled it with a piece of wood. I had the pappardelle with prawns, the pasta was perfect! the tomato cream sauce was delicious. My girlfriend had the gnocchi that came with fresh mozzarella and house made sausage. For dessert I had the vanilla affrogato which was good, would have been great if the ice cream was a bit creamier, you know when the last of the ice cream has those crystals at the bottom? thats what I got in the affrogato.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bella BellaJudiVIPDined on 9/19/2014Brought an out of town friend here who travels (and eats) all over the USA and world. He absolutely loved the food and the ambiance.Special Features:
- Not as rated, nor as expectedAXADiningDined on 9/18/2014We were a bit put off by this rundown neighborhood establishment. Though service was good and food fine it did not live up to its creds. It is a fine neighborhood joint, but not much more. Do not be deceived by the previous ratings. Unless you just want a meal in the neighborhood you should skip this restaurant.
- Authentic Italian CuisineFoodiefromSFDined on 9/17/2014I had not heard of Bella Trattoria prior to our visit but I was impressed with the menu and authenticity of the Italian cuisine. House made pasta, rich sauces, a list of carpaccios including tuna, beef and salmon. I had gnocchi (hand made) with sausage and San Marzano tomatoes that was to die for. This restaurant is an antidote to all of the trendy restaurants who insist on serving every part of a pig and pairing that with some unheard of vegetable or foam. I will definitely return!Special Features:
- Neighborhood gem!Foodie13Dined on 9/13/2014Came here with a large party and though we had to wait past our reservation for our table, the staff was great. Patient, attentive and friendly. Food was delicious--very tasty and fresh. I'm glad to have them in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014The experience was fantastic. Of all the restaurants in San Francisco we hit the jack pot. The drive from downtown was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014Great place! The ambiance was wonderful. The steak with gorgonzola sauce was incredible!!Special Features:
- GnocchimaevellenDined on 9/12/2014Just the best- tried both the Sorrentina and the Verde. So pillowy and perfectly cooked. What a hidden gem! I will be back.Special Features:
- Great Food! Service Needs AttentionParadiseVIPDined on 9/11/2014We had not been to this place in years and so went with a group of 7....The food is fantastic but the waiters are a bit distracted and i had to flag them down when ever we needed anything (like a second bottle of wine)
- bonappetitVIPDined on 9/10/2014Not as good compared to Barbacco and Capannina. Pleasant restaurant. Famous as the location where Nancy Oaks started before opening Boulevard.
- Wonderful neighborhood gem.Wine4lifeDined on 9/6/2014We celebrated my husband's 49th bday with 8 people Saturday night at Bella. The food was delicious, wonderfully attentive service, and all around fun ambiance. We love Italian wine and we had a wonderful Pinot Bianco and a fantastic brunello. We ordered several antipasti "for the table" and the amounts were just right. The super thinly sliced and grilled zucchini and eggplants on the antipasti platter were t die for. The burratta cheese seemed overwhelmed by the very red and fresh tomato slices it was served with but that was the only dish not superb. The carbonara and gnocchi were fantastic as was the veal scallopine. My panne cotta was the best I have ever had. I only wish we had a Bella over here in the 680/24 corridor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll Wait Another Six YearsmikesVIPDined on 8/31/2014We started dining here when they first opened and the food and service were very good. Unfortunately, we had a horrible meal six years ago and although the owner had promised to so something, we never heard back. We decided to retry after reading reviews. This was a mistake There are some outstanding Italian restaurants within minutes of this place with great food and service and generous portions. This place is not any where near that standard. We split a large, mediocre Ceasar and waited another hour for our entrees even though people who arrived after us were served. My wife's pasta had a lot of vegetables but was very dry. My trout was not fresh, a small portion for $24, and overcooked, much of it was charcoal.
- Great neighborhood gem!!!Bill945Dined on 8/25/2014We've dined at BTI several times and walked away smiling. First, the service is wonderful! What makes it so great? You feel genuinely welcomed to dine there. From the moment we were seated, we felt right at home and they were glad to have us as a customer. How many restaurants make you feel like that? The menu is well executed. We ordered the special of the night, trout, and it was beautifully prepared - olive oil, salt, pepper, baked to perfection! The same can be said everything else we ordered! We look forward to dining at Bella Trattoria again and again ...Special Features:
- Are we really on Geary?OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/23/2014Had a great dinner. The restaurant takes you away from the bustle of Geary and creates a great relaxing experience. Food is good and service friendly and personal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceSFGen3Dined on 8/23/2014The restaurant exceeded my expectation in both food and service; YELP ratings by previous guests was accurate. Great place to go with a few friends or family. The dishes were presented well and there was great pride taken in both presentation and creation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent neighborhood spotBkearlyDined on 8/22/2014This inner Richmond Italian spot is the perfect place! The menu has a wide range if options. The appetizers are to die for and the lasagna is delicious. It feels like you're in Italy at Bella!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprising!AngeliqueDined on 8/22/2014For a small neighborhood restaurant, Bella Trattoria has amazingly sophisticated flavors and textures in the beautiful, freshly prepared dishes it serves. They have also taken care with decor to make the place seem larger, and to reduce the noise level. Even though we were seated close to other patrons, we could hear each other for conversation, and the high dark ceiling with creative light fixtures gave a sense of space. Wait staff were all attentive and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BellaperryozVIPDined on 8/21/2014Bella is a "hole in the wall" in SF that's a 15 min cab ride from downtown. It's in a neighborhood on a corner and we almost missed it. There are 12 tables and we wondered if we had made a mistake. It seems the place is run by an Italian family, but cannot confirm that. There is no bar, only wine and beer. The menu is adequate and interesting. The food was outstanding though, hot and very fresh. The gnocchi and sausage dish was very flavorful and generous. The service was very good but there was only one other table occupied when we arrived early; it was almost full when we left. The pricing was very fair and a nice change from the expensive joints downtown. I would recommend this as a nice change of pace for a city like SF.Special Features:
- always a pleasurei8hereDined on 8/16/2014The food is wonderful and the wine list extensive. The wait staff is charming and accommodating. We usually go sans kid, but when we took our 7 yr old, they didn't blink an eye. There is no kids menu, but they happily offered up some plain pasta options. But mostly we like going for a special date. LSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood favoritesfbayruthDined on 8/12/2014Very good neighborhood Italian with friendly service. Menu offers wide variety of pasta choices.Special Features:
- Who selected the music?LeJugeVIPDined on 8/8/2014Bella has a warm, romantic atmosphere with candlelit tables and dark painted walls. But the flat panel TV showing a soccer match and the horrid techno/modern disco music is totally out of place and is jarring with the otherwise romantic feel. The food was otherwise quite good with excellent pastas and quite good salads/tiramisu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little Gem, Great Flavor!BellaSummer14Dined on 8/8/2014Will summarize the comments per family member (based on Summer 14 menu) Dad: Scaloppine - "great veal. sauce is perfect with the tender meat." Mom: Frutt’ ‘E Mar - "tomato sugo is delicate. blends well with the black pasta (squid ink-based) and shellfish. The falanghina recommended with the meal was excellent!" Daughter: Gnocchi Verdi - "gnocchi just melts in my mouth!" Son: Burro E Salvia - "I'm not much for 'sweet' dishes but this is rich and delicious with the buttery and crispy sage morsels" Shared: Salumi Misti, Bruschetta, freshly baked bread served with sun-dried tomato in olive oil - appetizing starters, a sign of good things to come! Panna Cotta and Vanilla Affogato - great closers for a sumptuous dinner. we cleaned off everything!Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/5/2014Great italian food in simple place. No frills, just good food... Very satisfied...Special Features:
- Not as good as last visitFreeSpiritDined on 8/5/2014Disappointment at their food and lack of service. Veal scallopini was overcooked and dry and the seafood with squid inked pasta's clam/mussel were all overcooked. We definitely won't be coming back here for a long time.Special Features:
- Bella TrattoriaDennisVIPDined on 8/3/2014My friends and I had yet another great dining experience. The polenta appetizer is delicious as were the Caesar Salad and Brussel Sprouts. Each of enjoyed our entries. The staff are very friendly and welcoming.Special Features:
- Small gem in a big city.GrapEscapeDined on 8/2/2014Just took a shot in the dark off Yelp reviews and was rewarded greatly. Food, ambiance, service, all great. Would recommend, would return. Great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ambiance and Italian foodkurtarifficDined on 8/1/2014The food here is always excellent. But even beyond the food being good, this is a truly excellent restaurant with excellent service. They always remember me and my girlfriend and they always roll out the red carpet even though we're just recurring guests. I never spend more than $150 with tip but they treat us like royalty as if I spent way more. One of my favorite places in SF. If you want to make a good impression on someone, bring them here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention to detailOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014Bella Trattoria's owner is usually there making sure that every minute of the dining experience is a pleasure. The food has always been great and continues to evolve with new delicious dishes supplementing and gradually dominating the menu. We dine at the hot spots, but never hesitate to take friends to this special neighborhood spot.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood Italian spotLoveMyFoodDined on 8/1/2014Good basic Italian food. Highly recommend the gnocchi. Wish the bread was served warm (: but otherwise no complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.