Bella Trattoria Italiana
3854 Geary Blvd.
San Francisco, CA 94118Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Bella Trattoria Italiana
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bellatrattoriasf.com/
- Phone: 4152210305
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Fridays: 11:30am - 3pm; Dinner: Monday -Thursday 5:30pm-9:30 Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm. Sundays 3pm-9pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: David Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: call David to customize a catering menu to fit your budget as well as your catering needs.
- Private Party Contact: David Gonzalez 4152187133
A word from Bella Trattoria Italiana
Bella's notorious homemade pasta, cozy & inviting atmosphere and friendly service await you. We feature cusine from Southern Italia- slow cooked sugos, braised meats and various carpaccios.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Bella Trattoria Italiana - Best Restaurants in Richmond District ›
Bella Trattoria Italiana reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (81)fit for foodies (47)romantic (44)special occasion (37)notable wine list (17)good for groups (14)kid-friendly (10)hot spot (6)late-night find (3)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014The experience was fantastic. Of all the restaurants in San Francisco we hit the jack pot. The drive from downtown was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014Great place! The ambiance was wonderful. The steak with gorgonzola sauce was incredible!!Special Features:
- GnocchimaevellenDined on 9/12/2014Just the best- tried both the Sorrentina and the Verde. So pillowy and perfectly cooked. What a hidden gem! I will be back.Special Features:
- Great Food! Service Needs AttentionParadiseVIPDined on 9/11/2014We had not been to this place in years and so went with a group of 7....The food is fantastic but the waiters are a bit distracted and i had to flag them down when ever we needed anything (like a second bottle of wine)
- bonappetitVIPDined on 9/10/2014Not as good compared to Barbacco and Capannina. Pleasant restaurant. Famous as the location where Nancy Oaks started before opening Boulevard.
- Wonderful neighborhood gem.Wine4lifeDined on 9/6/2014We celebrated my husband's 49th bday with 8 people Saturday night at Bella. The food was delicious, wonderfully attentive service, and all around fun ambiance. We love Italian wine and we had a wonderful Pinot Bianco and a fantastic brunello. We ordered several antipasti "for the table" and the amounts were just right. The super thinly sliced and grilled zucchini and eggplants on the antipasti platter were t die for. The burratta cheese seemed overwhelmed by the very red and fresh tomato slices it was served with but that was the only dish not superb. The carbonara and gnocchi were fantastic as was the veal scallopine. My panne cotta was the best I have ever had. I only wish we had a Bella over here in the 680/24 corridor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll Wait Another Six YearsmikesVIPDined on 8/31/2014We started dining here when they first opened and the food and service were very good. Unfortunately, we had a horrible meal six years ago and although the owner had promised to so something, we never heard back. We decided to retry after reading reviews. This was a mistake There are some outstanding Italian restaurants within minutes of this place with great food and service and generous portions. This place is not any where near that standard. We split a large, mediocre Ceasar and waited another hour for our entrees even though people who arrived after us were served. My wife's pasta had a lot of vegetables but was very dry. My trout was not fresh, a small portion for $24, and overcooked, much of it was charcoal.
- Great neighborhood gem!!!Bill945Dined on 8/25/2014We've dined at BTI several times and walked away smiling. First, the service is wonderful! What makes it so great? You feel genuinely welcomed to dine there. From the moment we were seated, we felt right at home and they were glad to have us as a customer. How many restaurants make you feel like that? The menu is well executed. We ordered the special of the night, trout, and it was beautifully prepared - olive oil, salt, pepper, baked to perfection! The same can be said everything else we ordered! We look forward to dining at Bella Trattoria again and again ...Special Features:
- Are we really on Geary?OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/23/2014Had a great dinner. The restaurant takes you away from the bustle of Geary and creates a great relaxing experience. Food is good and service friendly and personal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceSFGen3Dined on 8/23/2014The restaurant exceeded my expectation in both food and service; YELP ratings by previous guests was accurate. Great place to go with a few friends or family. The dishes were presented well and there was great pride taken in both presentation and creation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent neighborhood spotBkearlyDined on 8/22/2014This inner Richmond Italian spot is the perfect place! The menu has a wide range if options. The appetizers are to die for and the lasagna is delicious. It feels like you're in Italy at Bella!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprising!AngeliqueDined on 8/22/2014For a small neighborhood restaurant, Bella Trattoria has amazingly sophisticated flavors and textures in the beautiful, freshly prepared dishes it serves. They have also taken care with decor to make the place seem larger, and to reduce the noise level. Even though we were seated close to other patrons, we could hear each other for conversation, and the high dark ceiling with creative light fixtures gave a sense of space. Wait staff were all attentive and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BellaperryozVIPDined on 8/21/2014Bella is a "hole in the wall" in SF that's a 15 min cab ride from downtown. It's in a neighborhood on a corner and we almost missed it. There are 12 tables and we wondered if we had made a mistake. It seems the place is run by an Italian family, but cannot confirm that. There is no bar, only wine and beer. The menu is adequate and interesting. The food was outstanding though, hot and very fresh. The gnocchi and sausage dish was very flavorful and generous. The service was very good but there was only one other table occupied when we arrived early; it was almost full when we left. The pricing was very fair and a nice change from the expensive joints downtown. I would recommend this as a nice change of pace for a city like SF.Special Features:
- always a pleasurei8hereDined on 8/16/2014The food is wonderful and the wine list extensive. The wait staff is charming and accommodating. We usually go sans kid, but when we took our 7 yr old, they didn't blink an eye. There is no kids menu, but they happily offered up some plain pasta options. But mostly we like going for a special date. LSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood favoritesfbayruthDined on 8/12/2014Very good neighborhood Italian with friendly service. Menu offers wide variety of pasta choices.Special Features:
- Who selected the music?LeJugeVIPDined on 8/8/2014Bella has a warm, romantic atmosphere with candlelit tables and dark painted walls. But the flat panel TV showing a soccer match and the horrid techno/modern disco music is totally out of place and is jarring with the otherwise romantic feel. The food was otherwise quite good with excellent pastas and quite good salads/tiramisu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little Gem, Great Flavor!BellaSummer14Dined on 8/8/2014Will summarize the comments per family member (based on Summer 14 menu) Dad: Scaloppine - "great veal. sauce is perfect with the tender meat." Mom: Frutt’ ‘E Mar - "tomato sugo is delicate. blends well with the black pasta (squid ink-based) and shellfish. The falanghina recommended with the meal was excellent!" Daughter: Gnocchi Verdi - "gnocchi just melts in my mouth!" Son: Burro E Salvia - "I'm not much for 'sweet' dishes but this is rich and delicious with the buttery and crispy sage morsels" Shared: Salumi Misti, Bruschetta, freshly baked bread served with sun-dried tomato in olive oil - appetizing starters, a sign of good things to come! Panna Cotta and Vanilla Affogato - great closers for a sumptuous dinner. we cleaned off everything!Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/5/2014Great italian food in simple place. No frills, just good food... Very satisfied...Special Features:
- Not as good as last visitFreeSpiritDined on 8/5/2014Disappointment at their food and lack of service. Veal scallopini was overcooked and dry and the seafood with squid inked pasta's clam/mussel were all overcooked. We definitely won't be coming back here for a long time.Special Features:
- Bella TrattoriaDennisVIPDined on 8/3/2014My friends and I had yet another great dining experience. The polenta appetizer is delicious as were the Caesar Salad and Brussel Sprouts. Each of enjoyed our entries. The staff are very friendly and welcoming.Special Features:
- Small gem in a big city.GrapEscapeDined on 8/2/2014Just took a shot in the dark off Yelp reviews and was rewarded greatly. Food, ambiance, service, all great. Would recommend, would return. Great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ambiance and Italian foodkurtarifficDined on 8/1/2014The food here is always excellent. But even beyond the food being good, this is a truly excellent restaurant with excellent service. They always remember me and my girlfriend and they always roll out the red carpet even though we're just recurring guests. I never spend more than $150 with tip but they treat us like royalty as if I spent way more. One of my favorite places in SF. If you want to make a good impression on someone, bring them here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention to detailOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014Bella Trattoria's owner is usually there making sure that every minute of the dining experience is a pleasure. The food has always been great and continues to evolve with new delicious dishes supplementing and gradually dominating the menu. We dine at the hot spots, but never hesitate to take friends to this special neighborhood spot.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood Italian spotLoveMyFoodDined on 8/1/2014Good basic Italian food. Highly recommend the gnocchi. Wish the bread was served warm (: but otherwise no complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A definite neighborhood gemPeripateticPatVIPDined on 7/21/2014Have the spinach gnocchi - some of the best gnocchi I've ever had - airy, flavorful, great! We were a party of 7 with 4 teenagers. Everyone had a great dish and wonderful time. Nice italian wines by the liter. But don't blink or you won't see it. It is on a corner in a neighborhood dominated by Asian restaurants. Decent street parking nearby.Special Features:
- Real feel of ItaliaBroseVIPDined on 7/19/2014This is a welcoming spot where you are guaranteed to get friendly service and fabulous house-made fresh pasta dishes! We've dined here before, and our most recent experience was consistent with the good food and service we've had in the past. This time we shared a generous antipasto plate that included sliced salamis, olives, cheese, zucchini, greens and a perfect bread accompaniment. On a chilly summer's eve we went for truffle infused dishes that included light as a cloud gnocchi and very tasty tagliatelle. We shared a large scoop of hazelnut gelato with our cappuccinos before heading out into the foggy night. Our server was very attentive, and the owner was friendly and made us feel he really appreciated our business.Special Features:
- Bella Trattoria ReviewiTrufflesDined on 7/18/2014The Frutt’ ‘E Mar and Sorrentina were very good. The place was a little too dim for me, but it was quite a romantic place. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Amazing FindMA415VIPDined on 7/12/2014This is a neighborhood gem that you would not notice just walking by. It's an amazing date spot, awesome food, good for groups if you have a res, and wonderful, attentive staff.Special Features:
- best Italian in SF; great serviceMarkVIPDined on 7/10/2014I have eaten here three times now, had different things each time, and loved everything - this place is tops for Italian in SF, in my opinion - only thing that comes close is Albona (Istrian) last night all 4 diners were soaking up the last drops of jous on our plates w/ bread - after multiple apps and large entrees - food is that good - my wife hates raw meat and loved the carpaccio - our friend who doesnt like fish polished off a whole trout... I could go on but yall get the point service was great, too total bill for 3 apps bottle of wine 4 mains tax + generous tip was 225 - and you eat like royalty plus they comped a panna cotta when we declined desert b/c too full - gone in 10 seconds - guess there is a second desert stomachSpecial Features:
- Very Good ItalianjvgbtDined on 7/10/2014I live in a senior community where the food is good, but I have a craving for garlic. That I could satisfy here, tho not everything was garlic-y. The gnocchi is the best I've ever had--including in Italy. It was so flavorful and light as little clouds. The waiter allowed me to taste the wine until I found what I liked. There were three of us and we were all pleased with our food. We all enjoyed the Ceasar salad, which we shared. At the end of our meal the waiter brought us a small panna cotta with three spoons--gratis. We hadn't ordered dessert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014Service good. Gnochi great, sauce very rich. Partner had seafood plate, delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively, but noisier than I likeSFfoodieDined on 6/22/2014The food was well seasoned and creatively presented. From the outside of the place I expected to be able to have easy conversation. But, with the bar in the back and a large-screen TV in the front (soccer game on!), conversation was difficult. This is a great place for young folks to see and be seen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/20/2014Consistent food and service. My favorite Italian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly Surprised!Food4ThoughtDined on 6/20/2014Things started out a bit shaky when we first arrived but all was remedied by the great service and the mouth-watering food. Even having to wait at the bar for a table, the aromas coming from the kitchen were making me hungry! I had the Burro E Salvia (butternut squash ravioli) was wonderful. It was light for a ravioli and seemed to melt in my mouth. My son had the Pasta Norcina (baked rigatoni with marinated chicken and the chicken was moist and tender. Though we opted not to have desert, because there must have been a slow down in the kitchen and there had been a bit of a wait for our dinner, all the guests that were seated about the time we were, were treated to a complimentary dessert. All in all, I'd definitely come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/16/2014Don't let the outside fool you, the food was very good.Special Features:
- Great place!kaktyceatsDined on 6/7/2014Love this little restaurant. One of my favorite spots in San Francisco. The staff is very helpful and they serve dishes using fresh ingredients. Will definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It never disappoints!BalletFanDined on 6/2/2014I had not been here in a while and found that it's still as good as I remember it!Special Features:
- Surprise findToscaDined on 6/1/2014I was pleasantly surprised with Bella Trattoria, especially as the exterior and surrounding businesses were not the most trendy or cutest! Once inside, Bella did not disappoint. The food and service were great. The bruschetta was a little soggy, but I especially enjoyed the gnocchi. My friend had the rigatoni, which was cooked just right and had a great chunky tomato cream sauce. Bella is not located in a part of the City that I usually frequent, so I am not sure how often I will be back; but they did a great job on dinner and if I lived nearby I would probably use this as my standard go-to for a "pasta fix."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real Italian GemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/31/2014We celebrated a graduation and felt like we were in a neighborhood restaurant in Italy. Every element of our meal was excellent and the service was wonderful. The prices for food and service of this calibre were amazingly reasonable.Special Features:
- Good food, not cheapPFredDined on 5/31/2014We wanted to dine early and had a reservation for 5:30; they were a few minutes late opening. After that, everything went smoothly. I was disappointed to see only 4 entrees on the menu, none of which I wanted. But the appetizers and pasta had plenty of selection. I had the carbonara which was supposed to be authentic (I'm no expert) and was certainly very rich; I was grateful that it was not a huge portion. My companion had seafood pasta, which he liked quite a bit. Desserts were also a bit limited; I had gelato, my companion had zabaion (zabaglione as I've seen it elsewhere), both were good.Special Features: