Bella Trattoria Italiana
3854 Geary Blvd.
San Francisco, CA 94118Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Bella Trattoria Italiana
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bellatrattoriasf.com/
- Phone: 4152210305
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Fridays: 11:30am - 3pm; Dinner: Monday -Thursday 5:30pm-9:30 Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm. Sundays 3pm-9pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: David Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: call David to customize a catering menu to fit your budget as well as your catering needs.
- Private Party Contact: David Gonzalez 4152187133
A word from Bella Trattoria Italiana
Bella's notorious homemade pasta, cozy & inviting atmosphere and friendly service await you. We feature cusine from Southern Italia- slow cooked sugos, braised meats and various carpaccios.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Bella Trattoria Italiana - Best Restaurants in Richmond District ›
Bella Trattoria Italiana reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since April 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (76)fit for foodies (47)romantic (43)special occasion (39)notable wine list (18)good for groups (17)kid-friendly (10)great for lunch (5)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- always a pleasurei8hereDined on 8/16/2014The food is wonderful and the wine list extensive. The wait staff is charming and accommodating. We usually go sans kid, but when we took our 7 yr old, they didn't blink an eye. There is no kids menu, but they happily offered up some plain pasta options. But mostly we like going for a special date. LSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood favoritesfbayruthDined on 8/12/2014Very good neighborhood Italian with friendly service. Menu offers wide variety of pasta choices.Special Features:
- Who selected the music?LeJugeVIPDined on 8/8/2014Bella has a warm, romantic atmosphere with candlelit tables and dark painted walls. But the flat panel TV showing a soccer match and the horrid techno/modern disco music is totally out of place and is jarring with the otherwise romantic feel. The food was otherwise quite good with excellent pastas and quite good salads/tiramisu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little Gem, Great Flavor!BellaSummer14Dined on 8/8/2014Will summarize the comments per family member (based on Summer 14 menu) Dad: Scaloppine - "great veal. sauce is perfect with the tender meat." Mom: Frutt’ ‘E Mar - "tomato sugo is delicate. blends well with the black pasta (squid ink-based) and shellfish. The falanghina recommended with the meal was excellent!" Daughter: Gnocchi Verdi - "gnocchi just melts in my mouth!" Son: Burro E Salvia - "I'm not much for 'sweet' dishes but this is rich and delicious with the buttery and crispy sage morsels" Shared: Salumi Misti, Bruschetta, freshly baked bread served with sun-dried tomato in olive oil - appetizing starters, a sign of good things to come! Panna Cotta and Vanilla Affogato - great closers for a sumptuous dinner. we cleaned off everything!Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/5/2014Great italian food in simple place. No frills, just good food... Very satisfied...Special Features:
- Not as good as last visitFreeSpiritDined on 8/5/2014Disappointment at their food and lack of service. Veal scallopini was overcooked and dry and the seafood with squid inked pasta's clam/mussel were all overcooked. We definitely won't be coming back here for a long time.Special Features:
- Bella TrattoriaDennisVIPDined on 8/3/2014My friends and I had yet another great dining experience. The polenta appetizer is delicious as were the Caesar Salad and Brussel Sprouts. Each of enjoyed our entries. The staff are very friendly and welcoming.Special Features:
- Small gem in a big city.GrapEscapeDined on 8/2/2014Just took a shot in the dark off Yelp reviews and was rewarded greatly. Food, ambiance, service, all great. Would recommend, would return. Great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ambiance and Italian foodkurtarifficDined on 8/1/2014The food here is always excellent. But even beyond the food being good, this is a truly excellent restaurant with excellent service. They always remember me and my girlfriend and they always roll out the red carpet even though we're just recurring guests. I never spend more than $150 with tip but they treat us like royalty as if I spent way more. One of my favorite places in SF. If you want to make a good impression on someone, bring them here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention to detailOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014Bella Trattoria's owner is usually there making sure that every minute of the dining experience is a pleasure. The food has always been great and continues to evolve with new delicious dishes supplementing and gradually dominating the menu. We dine at the hot spots, but never hesitate to take friends to this special neighborhood spot.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood Italian spotLoveMyFoodDined on 8/1/2014Good basic Italian food. Highly recommend the gnocchi. Wish the bread was served warm (: but otherwise no complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A definite neighborhood gemPeripateticPatVIPDined on 7/21/2014Have the spinach gnocchi - some of the best gnocchi I've ever had - airy, flavorful, great! We were a party of 7 with 4 teenagers. Everyone had a great dish and wonderful time. Nice italian wines by the liter. But don't blink or you won't see it. It is on a corner in a neighborhood dominated by Asian restaurants. Decent street parking nearby.Special Features:
- Real feel of ItaliaBroseVIPDined on 7/19/2014This is a welcoming spot where you are guaranteed to get friendly service and fabulous house-made fresh pasta dishes! We've dined here before, and our most recent experience was consistent with the good food and service we've had in the past. This time we shared a generous antipasto plate that included sliced salamis, olives, cheese, zucchini, greens and a perfect bread accompaniment. On a chilly summer's eve we went for truffle infused dishes that included light as a cloud gnocchi and very tasty tagliatelle. We shared a large scoop of hazelnut gelato with our cappuccinos before heading out into the foggy night. Our server was very attentive, and the owner was friendly and made us feel he really appreciated our business.Special Features:
- Bella Trattoria ReviewiTrufflesDined on 7/18/2014The Frutt’ ‘E Mar and Sorrentina were very good. The place was a little too dim for me, but it was quite a romantic place. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Amazing FindMA415VIPDined on 7/12/2014This is a neighborhood gem that you would not notice just walking by. It's an amazing date spot, awesome food, good for groups if you have a res, and wonderful, attentive staff.Special Features:
- best Italian in SF; great serviceMarkVIPDined on 7/10/2014I have eaten here three times now, had different things each time, and loved everything - this place is tops for Italian in SF, in my opinion - only thing that comes close is Albona (Istrian) last night all 4 diners were soaking up the last drops of jous on our plates w/ bread - after multiple apps and large entrees - food is that good - my wife hates raw meat and loved the carpaccio - our friend who doesnt like fish polished off a whole trout... I could go on but yall get the point service was great, too total bill for 3 apps bottle of wine 4 mains tax + generous tip was 225 - and you eat like royalty plus they comped a panna cotta when we declined desert b/c too full - gone in 10 seconds - guess there is a second desert stomachSpecial Features:
- Very Good ItalianjvgbtDined on 7/10/2014I live in a senior community where the food is good, but I have a craving for garlic. That I could satisfy here, tho not everything was garlic-y. The gnocchi is the best I've ever had--including in Italy. It was so flavorful and light as little clouds. The waiter allowed me to taste the wine until I found what I liked. There were three of us and we were all pleased with our food. We all enjoyed the Ceasar salad, which we shared. At the end of our meal the waiter brought us a small panna cotta with three spoons--gratis. We hadn't ordered dessert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014Service good. Gnochi great, sauce very rich. Partner had seafood plate, delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively, but noisier than I likeSFfoodieDined on 6/22/2014The food was well seasoned and creatively presented. From the outside of the place I expected to be able to have easy conversation. But, with the bar in the back and a large-screen TV in the front (soccer game on!), conversation was difficult. This is a great place for young folks to see and be seen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/20/2014Consistent food and service. My favorite Italian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly Surprised!Food4ThoughtDined on 6/20/2014Things started out a bit shaky when we first arrived but all was remedied by the great service and the mouth-watering food. Even having to wait at the bar for a table, the aromas coming from the kitchen were making me hungry! I had the Burro E Salvia (butternut squash ravioli) was wonderful. It was light for a ravioli and seemed to melt in my mouth. My son had the Pasta Norcina (baked rigatoni with marinated chicken and the chicken was moist and tender. Though we opted not to have desert, because there must have been a slow down in the kitchen and there had been a bit of a wait for our dinner, all the guests that were seated about the time we were, were treated to a complimentary dessert. All in all, I'd definitely come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/16/2014Don't let the outside fool you, the food was very good.Special Features:
- Great place!kaktyceatsDined on 6/7/2014Love this little restaurant. One of my favorite spots in San Francisco. The staff is very helpful and they serve dishes using fresh ingredients. Will definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It never disappoints!BalletFanDined on 6/2/2014I had not been here in a while and found that it's still as good as I remember it!Special Features:
- Surprise findToscaDined on 6/1/2014I was pleasantly surprised with Bella Trattoria, especially as the exterior and surrounding businesses were not the most trendy or cutest! Once inside, Bella did not disappoint. The food and service were great. The bruschetta was a little soggy, but I especially enjoyed the gnocchi. My friend had the rigatoni, which was cooked just right and had a great chunky tomato cream sauce. Bella is not located in a part of the City that I usually frequent, so I am not sure how often I will be back; but they did a great job on dinner and if I lived nearby I would probably use this as my standard go-to for a "pasta fix."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real Italian GemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/31/2014We celebrated a graduation and felt like we were in a neighborhood restaurant in Italy. Every element of our meal was excellent and the service was wonderful. The prices for food and service of this calibre were amazingly reasonable.Special Features:
- Good food, not cheapPFredDined on 5/31/2014We wanted to dine early and had a reservation for 5:30; they were a few minutes late opening. After that, everything went smoothly. I was disappointed to see only 4 entrees on the menu, none of which I wanted. But the appetizers and pasta had plenty of selection. I had the carbonara which was supposed to be authentic (I'm no expert) and was certainly very rich; I was grateful that it was not a huge portion. My companion had seafood pasta, which he liked quite a bit. Desserts were also a bit limited; I had gelato, my companion had zabaion (zabaglione as I've seen it elsewhere), both were good.Special Features:
- Food was deliciousAverelDined on 5/24/2014We were about 30 minutes late for our 8:45 reservation, and they couldn't have been nicer about it. The warm spinach salad was excellent - crunchy and fresh but with perfectly wilted bits, and in a light and flavorful dressing. And the "vera carbonara" was just as advertised - no added cream or butter, just pancetta, egg, and cheese over al dente pasta. Superb! I'd passed this restaurant a hundred times but never been before. Now I plan to put it on my short-list.Special Features:
- Excellent food, splendid serviceCorleoneFamilyFriendDined on 5/24/2014Bella Trattoria Italiana is an excellent Italian restaurant. Everything our party ordered was absolutlely delicious. Ingredients used are fresh, made in their kitchen, cuisine offerings are very authentic. Food wsa so good, reminds me of my last visit to Florence, Italy but with a Sicilian influence.Special Features:
- Great pastalovinlifeDined on 5/22/2014We loved all 4 of the pasta dishes we ordered (carbonara, salmon, chicken/mushroom, sausage) and the meatball appetizer. The homemade bread and dipping sauce were excellent. The service was fast and friendly, including a delicious panne cotta with fresh strawberries on the house. Strongly recommend if you're looking for fabulous pasta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemALouieVIPDined on 5/17/2014Our neighborhood gem...food and service is always great!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood gemM808Dined on 5/14/2014My husband and I wanted something in our neighborhood to walk to for our anniversary dinner. We didn't have to worry about a long wait or crowd. The service was great, and each course was delicious. Get the buratta and the amatriciana.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian dininggerrymadDined on 5/11/2014Went to Bella Trattoria for mother's day. Nice atmosphere for a relaxing lunch. My Tagliolini Salmone was great. Nicely done and flavorful. The service was just attentive enough to make sure we had everything we needed without getting in the way of our day out. Portion sizes are reasonable. They are not the oversized portions like you might get at the Olive Garden, but that's not what you're there for. If you want a good quality Italian meal in a nice environment you can't miss here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wine of the houseschlemmerDined on 5/6/2014Ein sehr gediegenes Italorestaurant, etwas jwd, aber gutes Essen mit gutem Wein und schöner Stimmung. Der Wein des Hauses ist zu empfehlen, aber man sollte nach dem Preis vorher fragen. Romantische Beleuchtung (dunkel), die Augen älterer Touristen und eine Karte im Farbspektrum des Lichts - das könnte Überraschungen bei der Rechnung ergeben...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night for ItaliansfgalDined on 5/6/2014Brought a group of 4 for dinner--and it was an excellent evening! Food is simply incredible, so fresh and really delicious. And the panna cotta dessert is as good as everyone writes, go ahead and order it. Just as good, and perhaps even more appreciated, was how good the service was--our waiter was knowledgable, friendly, attentive enough to be helpful but by no means rushed us. In fact, we were there for 2 hours, which is a really long time, but it speed by--great food, good wine and outstanding service. Used yelp to find the restaurant and will absolutely go back!Special Features:
- BobmacDined on 5/6/2014This was our third visit to Bella. WE are from Seattle and this fabulous Italian restaurant was initially recommended by our B & B hostess. The owner David is very friendly. SErve and food are terrific. On this visit the waitstaff were Italian and added to the ambience. Whole heartedly recommend for good fresh Italian dining in a neighborhood atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousnikkisfDined on 5/5/2014We had a large dinner party to celebrate a birthday. All of our food was spectacular, as was the service. They were very attentive and took care of our large group very well! I would definitely recommend this place for a romantic date or a large party. Some of the most delicious italian food I've had! The ragu isn't always on their menu, but if it is, it's a must-try!!!Special Features:
- Great food with great hourskurtarifficDined on 5/3/2014This is a really excellent Italian restaurant that has reservations as late as ten. Can't beat that. I've already eaten here twice and I'll eat here again for sure.Special Features:
- Great Italin food!!JoyceKarenDined on 5/2/2014It is a small but charming restaurant. We had th beef carpaccio for starters. Wonderful!! The special pasta of ther day was homemade gnocchii. Excellent!! I ordered sphagetti with tuna and anchovies. The waiter brought rigotti with sausage. It was O.K. the rigotti was undercooked. The panna cotta and terramistu was the best ever. Save room for desserts!! Very good and will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find on GearySBfoodie71VIPDined on 5/2/2014A small unassuming little corner restaurant. Late Friday for a quiet relaxed lunch. One delightful young fellow in the front of the house--did his job well . Shared a warm spinach salad and two different pastas. Ingredients were fresh and pastas al dente.I would recommend this to a friend.