3121-103 Edwards Mill Rd
Raleigh, NC 27612Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bellamonica.com/
- Phone: 9198819778x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:00am to 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday 11:00am to 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Corbett Monica
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Sundays at our Nana’s house were special days. It began when we entered Nana’s house and the smell of the ‘gravy’ simmering on the stove would greet us at the door. Nana would fly out of the kitchen to pinch our cheeks, give us hugs, and lead us to the table full of food saying “mangia, mangia”. Sundays with Nana were days where everything seemed to stop for family and friends; everything except for pasta. Aunts, uncles and cousins would trickle into Nana’s house throughout the day to take their places at the table. The day never seemed to end as we would sit for hours sharing the food.
- Private Party Facilities: Bella Monica’s Private Dining Room is the perfect setting for celebrating a special occasion or hosting a corporate event. Bella Monica offers extraordinary food, an intimate setting, and gracious hospitality. Our completely private room can accommodate 20 seated or 35 standing.
- Private Party Contact: Trevor Chambers 9193065542
A word from Bella Monica
Bella Monica Cucina & Vino is a family-run trattoria with recipes handed down from our grandparents. Our menu features Neapolitan dishes like gourmet thin-crust pizzas called, Flatbreads, Pasta, Seafood, Chicken, Local Pork & Beef dishes. Our tomato sauce is made just like Nana's. It's so good that we sometimes eat it like soup! Without a doubt, we serve the best cannoli you will ever taste! Our wine list features all Italian, hard-to-find selections that are a perfect match for our Pasta & Flatbreads.Continued
We showcase local art on the walls and play a great upbeat music mix. You can dine al fresco on our patio and enjoy live acoustic music on Wednesday nights.
Wine Spectator awarded wine list.
We showcase local art on the walls and play a great upbeat music mix. You can dine al fresco on our patio and enjoy live acoustic music on Wednesday nights.
Wine Spectator awarded wine list.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Bella Monica - Best Restaurants in Raleigh ›
Bella Monica reviews from OpenTable diners
128 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (97)fit for foodies (73)great for lunch (55)great for outdoor dining (53)special occasion (50)notable wine list (44)romantic (39)good for groups (28)hot spot (25)great for brunch (13)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/21/2014Love this place! People who work here are friendly, happy and seem to enjoy themselves. Crab flat bread is the best.. I always have that. My husband had beef carpaccio. Outstanding and he is super picky! Wedding drop soup also good.. Nice wine list. Make a reservation because it's always busy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Treatfancythat13Dined on 10/16/2014Bella Monica was wonderful, as usual. I love their Eggplant Parmesan! Great service, an excellent wine list and tasty Italian food. Who could ask for more?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bella Monica=Yum!MyFavoritesDined on 10/15/2014Whether it's a snack, lunch or supper..we always enjoy dining at Bella Monica.Special Features:
- outstanding as alwaysoldgreywolfDined on 10/13/2014Bella Monica has become my wife's favorite restaurant. She requires a Gluten Free menu and they have the best one in Raleigh. The food (even that that is not gluten free) and the service is always outstanding. My only complaint would be that the dining area is too small, but that may be the reason for its charmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RosieLooking4goodfoodDined on 10/13/2014Absolutely delicious! This is the best italian food in the triangle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/13/2014I me some friends for lunch and was impressed. I thought it would be just another Italian restaurant but I was pleasantly surprised! The food was great, they had a huge variety of both flatbreads and pizza and the bread was amazing! I would certainly go back.Special Features:
- Outstanding from beginning to endLpapDined on 10/8/2014We recently dined at Bella Monica for a friends birthday. When I made the reservations on open table I noted that it was a birthday celebration they called later in the day to get the name of the birthday girl and wrote it on the sidewalk out front, just one of many steps they took to make the evening special. The service was great the food and wine equally impressive. Can't say enough about the customer service level at Bella Monica. Will definitely be going back again and again.Special Features:
- Great placeOntheproductionDined on 10/4/2014This was a great place for real Italian food. My wife and I loved it and the staff was very kind and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a gem!DHC1Dined on 10/3/2014We love Bella Monica. Food is perfect every time & when you walk in the door, they seem genuinely happy to see you. Portions are a nice size, bread is divine & make sure you get the lasagna. Best menu around for gluten-free!Special Features:
- My favorite neighborhood placeLadyriderDined on 10/1/2014Arrived for 6:30 reservation and had no wait. Only disappointment was the chicken and fennel lasagna had been sold out by 7 pm! It is only made once a week and is fantastic. Ordered the other special, a pumpkin ravioli with spinach. A bit too much garlic for my taste but beautifully presented. Had a lovely time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationPickyeaterDined on 9/30/2014From the personalized chalk greeting on the sidewalk by the front door to the candle lit birthday dessert, our group of women had much fun celebrating the birthday of one of us. Our table was waiting for us and every effort was made to please us. Food, as always, was delicious.Special Features:
- Almost 5 starsGonetolunchGirlDined on 9/30/2014I've loved Bella Monica for years. My only complaint this visit was that my entree salad was on the skimpy side. I'm very small and it doesn't take a lot fill me up, but there were just not enough greens to call a meal and to justify paying entree prices. Otherwise, my salad was delicious and the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumOffBookDined on 9/22/2014How can you miss with a braised short rib lasagna special? Caesar salads were excellent...Gnocchi worth writing home about.... Service was very, very good and the food was outstanding. My family was visiting from Hawaii...where they have some amazing restaurants....they were truly pleased with the quality of Bella Monica. Thank you for a special evening. (I'm glad we made a reservation!!)Special Features:
- Great food, but terrible serviceAlisonlooDined on 9/22/2014My husband and I have been to Bella Monica several times and usually everything is wonderful. Our most recent visit, however, yielded different results. The waitress was terrible, and had to be prompted to do even the simplest of tasks (bringing us bread and refilling our water glasses.) There was also a miscommunication between the kitchen staff, and our entrees were brought out before our soups. The mistake was immediately told to the chef who brought out our entree, and instead of removing our entrees and bringing our soups, he left the entrees and brought our soups. So, we had both our soups and entrees at the same time, both getting cold as we hurried to eat both. It felt very disorganized and rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nicecustomerDined on 9/22/2014Wait staff always very accommodating. A/C was freezing, fans overhead made it more so; fan was quickly turned off. My eggplant parm sandwich was a bit odd, I thought. Eggplant was maybe steamed? Not peeled, which left a somewhat unpleasant crunch. I had expected a lightly fried, or battered and fried eggplant, which was not to be. The pasta salad was not as tasty as usual - oil tasted a bit old. The special heirloom tomato salad was delicious for one friend, and the steak sandwich was tasty, per another friend. This was unusual for Bella Monica, though I haven't be there in awhile, so this may be the new norm. Upcoming lunch date in a few days, and I will be sure and order something else, assuming all will be well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience at Bella Monica.shughesDined on 9/20/2014Recently had a girls' night at Bella Monica. We ordered a couple flat breads and a couple of pastas, all of which were great. A nice atmosphere for catching up with friends. The restaurant is always busy, but our server was great, even when we hung out at the table for a little while.Special Features:
- Good atmosphere & food--OK desertsILV2MTBDined on 9/19/2014Randomly picked Bella Monica as a place near NC State to grab a late night deserts, coffee and maybe a snack as well. Ordered one of their flat-bread pizzas (had crab and spinach on it if I remember correctly), and it was pretty good. The deserts were just OK given the price of $7-$8 each -- I would not go back for deserts only (i.e., there are other restaurants where I would spend that amount of money and carb intake for desert ;-) I have enjoyed going to Cheesecake Factory for desert and found it to be money well spent on desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Italian & Gluten FreeDawnstyleDined on 9/19/2014This is by far the best Italian restaurant offering delicious gluten free options. I love the stuffed shells and the gluten free bread is spectacular. All of the gluten free appetizers we have tried have been fabulous. They even have calamari that isn't fried! Their regular food options are also delicious according to those in our party who aren't gluten free.Special Features:
- RaleighFoodieGirlDined on 9/18/2014We dined here before the Tom Petty concert on 9/18/14. So glad we made an early reservation. Thoroughly enjoyed the food, service and people watching!Special Features:
- celebrated my mom's 96th B-daynoodlesDined on 9/17/2014Our server was very attentive and funny. We had great entree's and they brought my mom a canoli with a candle and she loved it not to mention is was crazy good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/17/2014Food is great, the service is wonderful and I can't wait for my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So AwesomeEmerIsleDined on 9/16/2014This was my 2nd time @Bella Monica, the 1st being about 6 yrs ago & I can't say anything about great things about it. Trevor met my date and I before we even hit the sidewalk. He informed is that our table would be ready shortly & asked if we were celebrating anything, we said yes, a birthday. He then brought us both complimentary glasses of Presseco to have while we waited. Once seated we enjoyed the fact that our server gave us time to talk and enjoy the experience before taking our order, etc. They did not have a shortage of staff and everyone was very attentive. The food...do I need to mention it was AH-mazing. We had the best experience, and cannot wait to go back. Oh! Make Reservations!!! It was a Tuesday night, and it was packed! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out to pleasebugsDined on 9/16/2014Another wonderful experience. Great food, great service and great attention to details. Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a delightf00dieDined on 9/15/2014I have been going to Bella Monica since it opened, and it has really become a neighborhood treasure. The menu is well developed with delightful specials and excellent standards. The wine list might be overwhelming to some, but I find it wonderful - full of good options. It can feel a little cramped on occasion, but the food is worth it. I have a very specific and unique allergy and they always try to accommodate my special needs, generally without comment or any indication of inconvenience. I no longer live in the area, but when in town, I always try to share a meal there. I cannot recommend the garlic soup enough, or the management (and head chef Corbett) enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian in Raleighashleyryan8Dined on 9/13/2014Whether its the notable wine selection, the baked ziti or the amazing hot bread you get while waiting for your meal Bella Monica is top notch! Even the owners come out and greet you like if you were family! Will always go here and recommend for guests in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average start, but nice finishBDUJeffDined on 9/11/2014We were three couples getting together for a nice dinner and conversation. We ordered three appetizers (mushrooms, brussel sprouts, shrimp). Only the mushroomes were good, sprouts we burnt but undercooked and shrimp was blah. When the entrees were ordered, one person request GF pasta (which they have) and later when the bread came out they also brought out GF bread. (nice touch!) Tried the heirloom salad (which was an upcharge from the standard salad) which is fine, except the standard salad is free so $7.95 for the upcharge. Service was very good. We will definitely return, but will push back with the manager when food, prices, or service don't meet the expectations we have come to expect with Bella Monica.Special Features:
- Excellent!gelertDined on 9/11/2014Always delicious, great service, a must for any lover of Italian food. Reservations recommended!Special Features:
- Delish!!!CdubbandJoJoDined on 9/8/2014Where do I begin??? The food was AHH-MAZE-ING! You could really tell the ingredients were fresh! The staff was incredibly friendly! I noticed one employee go above and beyond to help a lady with a take out order. I cannot wait to go back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/4/2014Just plain fabulous. One exception is music which is sometimes jarring.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/30/2014There is a good reason that this restaurant is booked all the time. You can tell right way that the staff know what they are doing and the food is excellent. We will return soon!Special Features:
- always excellentlongtimefolkDined on 8/26/2014food was excellent and attentive and professional service: never a disappointment and a restaurant that we will always patronizeSpecial Features:
- Excellent foodjohncaryncDined on 8/25/2014There's a reason Bella Monica keeps winning awards--they have great food. It's Italian food with a chef's flair. Everyone at my table had excellent meals. They also have an extensive gluten-free menu. Reserve your table early as they will book popular times days in advance.Special Features:
- Almost like grandma used to makeFrac206Dined on 8/22/2014Food was very good, friendly staff.. Only thing was it was hard to talk to the other at the table because the music was up just a little too muchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of Town DinerFoodieVIPDined on 8/21/2014We made a reservation at Bella Monica based on open table reviews. First let me say that the food and service were wonderful!!! We were running late because of a prior commitment so I called to change our reservation time. As a result the only table was outside. The person I spoke with made it perfectly that we would be seated outside. I was wrong in thinking that would be ok. That being said, the heat and flies made the experience uncomfortable. I only mention this because I would warn diners to eat inside ... Again, our food and service was GREAT!!! I would highly recommend Bella Monica as long as you eat inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Italian Food in RaleighMiloDavisDined on 8/20/2014Having grown up in the NorthEast, we grew up having numerous awesome Italian restaurants. After moving to Raleigh the last three years have been disappointing when it comes to Italian food. We are thrilled to have found Bella Monica, the Italian restaurant here in Raleigh reminds me of being back in NJ. The owners of Bella Monica are from Brooklyn. And their food is top notch. The staff is also celiac and gluten free certified I believe. All the servers are extremely knowledgable with gluten free menu items. This has now become our must go to place. We bring all friends and family who visit especially from the north here for the excellent italian food.Special Features:
- Can't go wrongOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014Excellent food, consistently. The lasagna is some of the best on earth. The desserts... well.. gracious...Special Features:
- Mediocre at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/16/2014Having eaten at Bella Monica over the past two years, I can definitely say that the quality has steadily worsened over time. More of the recent reviews on yelp also suggest this and overall I'm not sure what the hype is all about. The food is uninspiring and rather mundane and mediocre, akin to what you'd think when you first look at Bella Monica - strip mall Italian. When I first tried it two years ago it was quite the opposite but a few weeks back we dined and the eggplant parm was a raw piece of eggplant on spaghetti, my seafood pasta was weak, and another friend's pork chop was dry. It's a nice cozy place to dine, but not worth the money anymore.
- Reliable and reasonableOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/13/2014Italian consistently good, with attention to gluten free, vegan needs. Handles crowds every night with grace. Great to have this gem as neighbors. You can spend a lot on your romantic date, or have a just right bite at lunch. And your pooch is welcome on the porch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic CuisineYLNotDined on 8/13/2014Bella Monica has food many steps ahead of the cookie-cutter Italian retaurants and attentive, friendly servers, as well. The spinach-stuffed shells are my favorite - cheesy, well-seasoned and cooked just right. They are pricey at $14.99 for lunch, but they are delciious. The ambience is average - nothing special, but they do well with the space they have.
- Great lunchGoOrangeDined on 8/12/2014The menu was fantastic, service great and all around atmosphere was wonderful. Thank you Bella Monica!Special Features: