Bella Luna Jamaica Plain
284 Amory St
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Bella Luna Jamaica Plain
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.milkywayjp.com/
- Phone: 6175246060
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Saturdays Only 12 noon to 5 pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5pm - 10pm, Friday & Saturday 5pm - 11pm;
Bar: Sun-Tues 5pm to 11:30 pm, Wed 5pm to 12am, Thurs & Fri 5pm to 1 am, Sat 11am to 1am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef:
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: You can rent our semi-private Satellite Room any evening from 5 to 9 pm (with a minimum of 30 guests on Fri and Sat nights) or Saturday afternoons 12 noon to 4 pm, with a capacity of 20-50 guests; or rent our semi-private Satellite Room plus Lounge for 50-80 guests; or rent out the entire restaurant on Sundays from 1 to 5 pm or from 5 to 10 pm (great for weddings!). We offer delicious surprisingly affordable buffet dining options, with either a cash or open bar. All of our party options are available with pricing at milkywayjp.com.
- Private Party Contact: Ana Borras 617-524-3740x14
- Entertainment: The Milky Way Lounge continues its tradition of offering nightly entertainment and fun for the later night crowd, please check our website www.milkywayjp.com for our entertainment calendar.
- Special Events: Host your party in our Satellite Room, it's affordable, fun and easy! All of our party options on our website milkywayjp.com/parties or contact our Event Planner Ana Borras at firstname.lastname@example.org. We can accomodate from 15 to 150 guests, and you can rent our entire restaurant for weddings or special occasions.
- Cross Street: Boylston Street
- Public Transit: We are located just two blocks from the Stonybrook stop on the Orange Line. As you exit the station, turn left on Boylston Street, then at the light turn right onto Amory Street, we are two blocks up on the left at The Brewery, 284 Amory Street.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are 80 complementary parking spaces at The Brewery adjacent to Bella Luna/Milky Way. Please be aware that the first few spots near Amory Street are fifteen minute parking only. Also please be respectful of our residential neighbors as you depart and avoid honking, slamming doors, and loud conversation, thank you!
A word from Bella Luna Jamaica Plain
Bella Luna Restaurant & The Milky Way Lounge is a community-minded business in the heart of Jamaica Plain that celebrates the great things in life – delicious food and cocktails, American craft beers, music, art, and fun. Our brand new home at The Brewery complex at 284 Amory Street features a warm brick interior with high ceilings, a sparkly red granite u-shaped bar, comfortable booth seating, a spectacular sci-fi inspired lounge, and a dining/function/dance room which opens up onto our spacious outdoor patio under the Haffenreffer smokestack. We use fresh seasonal ingredients to craft Italian/Mediterranean dishes that are delicious and affordable. Along with dinner seven nights a week (with take out and delivery to the 02130 zip code), we are open for lunch Saturdays from 12 noon to 5 pm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bella Luna Jamaica Plain reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (64)great for outdoor dining (49)good for groups (38)vibrant bar scene (34)kid-friendly (29)fit for foodies (25)late-night find (21)hot spot (21)special occasion (15)romantic (14)great for lunch (14)great for brunch (6)notable wine list (6)scenic view (2)Show More
- Fantastic Food; Not so Good ServicetxtravelerDined on 8/22/2014The food was fantastic. Unfortunately, I can not say that of the service. We were seated quickly and got in drink orders right away. After a few minutes, we ordered. I ordered a salad with my entree. Asked for it to come out first. Unfortunately, it didn't as it came out with my entree, vegan mushroom linguine. The server pretty much set down our entrees and left. Never came back to check on is. We were not offered parm. cheese (another ordered the same). The 3rd in our party ordered the burger. Our server was no where to be seen. Well, I did see him, serving behind the bar. We had to wave down anyone we could for parm. cheese, ketchup and more drinks. Later on, the bartenders were slow and not very responsive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty but sloooooooooooowwwwOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014I arrived a few minutes early for my 7:30 reservation, and I was actually seated immediately, which was nice. I should also stress that every staff member I encountered, including my server, was very nice and friendly. The food was also tasty, and the menu has a nice variety with an obvious stress on quality ingredients. It is also very respectful of vegetarians, vegans, and people looking for gluten-free options. You can eat well regardless of which diet you might follow. My only issue is with the speed of the service. While this is actually the type of place that you would very much want to linger and people-watch, you probably won't want to do that with no fresh drink/no dessert/no check. You will have to wait a long time for all of thatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great neighborhoodnapavisitorDined on 8/19/2014Very pleasant spot in JP. Food was delicious. Outdoor patio was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My friends got hooked!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/2014Every time I come, I'm always very impressed with the alcohol selection and the amazing good. I love that things seem to be fresh and relatively local. (Adding some pasture-raised meat to the list would push this place over the top for me, and would make it unparalleled to ANY restaurant). I brought a few of my friends here for the first time. They couldn't get over how perfect the atmosphere/noise level way. There was Jazz music going on for the summer music series, and it was AWESOME, but not too loud in the rest of the restaurant. The food was phenomenal. One of my friends is vegan and we were so glad to see so many vegan options on the menu. Thanks for providing such a fun and awesome restaurant! It makes me wish I lived in JP!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014Staff was nice but waiter was clueless. We waited 10 minutes and he would walk by us constantly when we needed something, like a fork, or pepper, etc and ignore us. Cool place though - food could be better for the price. Broccoli pasta dish was $19 and all it was was a bunch of stuff mashed together in a pasta dish, it tasted more like soup than a pasta dish:(Special Features:
- Great Place for a Family DinnerJGrahamDined on 8/3/2014Relaxed atmosphere with friendly staff and high quality food. Menu appeals to grown-up and kid tastes alike. I recommend the Broccoli Rabetelli, Cod Picatta, and the sweet potato fries, but you can't go wrong with one of their pizzas. Lots of parking. Makes for an easy but satisfying night out with the family.Special Features:
- DisappointingbrooklinedinersDined on 8/2/2014I felt the prices were high for the location, especially the calamari appetizer. I had the cod piccata and the cod was overwhelmed by the piccata sauce. Service was good-very pleasant waitress. My wife wanted a small side caesar or greek salad and they would not accomodate her. She felt the large salads were too large with an entree.
- Bella Luna first-timer.ExpandingHorizonsDined on 8/1/2014The reservation through open plate was easy and we were seated as soon as we got there. The staff was attentive without being pushy. Our seat felt private but not isolated. We had the strawberry salad as an appetizer (I would have liked more strawberries.) it was good. For dinner, I had the meatballs and my date had the Latin quarter pizza with the gluten free crust. The meatballs were very good. She LOVED the gluten free pizza. The fresh jalapeños made it extra delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually good, but off on last visitSlapshotgoonDined on 8/1/2014As long time JP residents, we've eaten at Bella Luna a couple times a year for many years. Our last meal there was pretty aweful, which is unusual. Not sure if The regular cooking staff was off for The night, but everything we ordered, except for one of my kids burgers, was way oversalted. We ordered an Ariancini ball appetizer which was oversalted And tasted like it was saturated in oil. The scallops And steak we ordered were way oversalted, And The fries that came with both The steak And The burger were soggy And inedible. We didnt complain to The server because we were having a festive night as a family- didnt want to deal with complaining. But, we've had very good food here before, so think this must've just been an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was greatRedFuryDined on 7/29/2014Decadent! I had the lemon basil salmon. The drinks are a little overpriced for the glass size given. Loved the ambiance here, great for couples or friends looking to hang out. Noise level wasn't too bad for date conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great FindSusieT11Dined on 7/25/2014We had a groupon so we went to Bella Luna for a casual friday night dinner. We were really pleasantly surprised. The atmosphere is funky and energetic. The service was friendly and attentive and the food was very good. Nicely presented and delicious. We had the calamari appetizer to start and it was very good. Two of us had the lobster roll which was also good. The sides were fresh and delicious-salad, sweet potato fries all good. My husband had a delicious burger and our friend had the bean burger. Everyone was very happy with their choices. The wine and beer list was also good. The meal prices were affordable and considering the quality of the food we will be back...even without a groupon...Special Features:
- Great Al Fresco DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/25/2014We got here right at the opening bell (5:00 PM) on a Friday night, and pretty soon, nearly every table was spoken for. This is a popular spot, and if our experience was indicator, it's because the pizzas and salads (including vegan-firendly options) are very tasty and very reasonably priced. We'd definitely come back here again!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood spotPoppaBikerDined on 7/19/2014Have eaten here regularly since it opened. Always a pleasure - good food, excellent service.Special Features:
- Love this place...DanielDined on 7/18/2014Always have a great meal with great drinks. Just great local jointSpecial Features:
- better!BrezVIPDined on 7/12/2014With a more attentive server, everything (including bread) flowed! Fajitas including chicken and veggie options were requested, just chicken came, I noted that, and the server offered to get veggie fajitas. Did. Very nice! And excellent cod dish. So happy Bella Luna is here. Exciting nightlife ... diverse scene full of celebrations!Special Features:
- Great PlaceMarlsDined on 7/11/2014Service was great! They turn it into a nightclub around 10, though, so be careful if you've planned a late dinner. All of a sudden, noise levels go way up and a disco ball comes out. =)Special Features:
- Has been and will be betterBrezVIPDined on 7/11/2014Service depends on the server... No bread despite asking for it. Food depends on the cook... Adult meal was great but kids grilled cheese disappointed kid who reported changes for worse in cheese and bread. Overall, still love it. Serve following night was much better; some of the food was too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerUKJPvisitorDined on 7/1/2014Have used this restaurant in previous Boston visits. It was never top notch but the quality of food and service has gone downhill. Would not return.
- gr1951Dined on 6/29/2014pesto pizza was fabulous!! vodka watermelon mint drink was very refreshing! Lovely evening for outside dining.Special Features:
- Great ambiance, good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/27/2014Great selection of food, mellow ambiance, and friendly service.Special Features:
- Big group diningBertha21Dined on 6/22/2014I went to Bella Luna the other day with a large group of friends. I had remembered the food being really good and I definitely enjoy the ambience. The waitress was really friendly and welcoming and the service overall was really good. My friend ordered one of the risotto specials and unfortunately said it really didn't taste like much at all. I had a burger which was good although the side salad had way too much dressing on it. Overall a good dining experience but room for improvement with some of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Bella LunaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014I've always loved Bella Luna since I've been coming for years (since it was located on Centre St). The food was great and the service was good too. The last couple of times I came, the male host was terrible but that wouldn't deter me from coming back. This time, he wasn't here so it was easy to be seated. My server was kind and attentive. The only thing that I didn't like was the fact we couldn't split our check, which took forever to sort out at the end. He had told me that it was the restaurant's policy so I respected it but for a larger party (11 ppl), I would've liked to at least split the check by each half of the table. Nevertheless, still a lovely night.. Thank you!Special Features:
- Great pizza arrive early for patioMaggsDined on 6/18/2014We always love Bella Luna!! The service (Katherine!), drinks, and pizza never disappoint. "Worlds Best" calamari is truly the best I've ever had and get it every time. I tried the kale ceasar for the first time and loved it. I will definitely get it again. We wanted to dine outside, but even with an Open Table reservation, the patio is first-come first-served, and all the party must be present. It was a little noisy inside (live music Wed nights) which could be nice, but may request to sit further away from their back room next time. Just a matter of my preference though, because live music is great too.Special Features:
- Always a good choiceJPfoodieDined on 6/15/2014Bella Luna has gotten better over the last several years. They always have interesting food but it's become more individual without being "trendy" in the common sense of the word. Salads and appetizers are good combinations as are the entrees. There are plenty of vegetarian and vegan choices. Unfortunately we almost never make it to dessert so no comment there. The patio is great for outdoor dining. And there is parking which is a scarcity in the area.Special Features:
- SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Really cool decor so I was shocked at how horrible it was. It took at least 10 min before our server came over even though he walked past us a bunch. He also knew nothing about the wine, and it took a very long time to get even our appetizer. The app tasted fine (world famous calamari) but the entrees were all pretty bad. The pizza was meh, the fish picatta and ravioli were both very very oily and the ravioli was overcooked and chewy.
- ChavezRegularDined on 6/15/2014Katherine is the best server there. great personality and excellent dining service. TJ makes great cocktails!Special Features:
- Loved ithuiying237Dined on 6/9/2014Trivia night made it really hard for our group to be chatting but the great vegan harvest pizza made up for it. It was a lovely night out with friends. If only there was a more quiet/romantic spot or outdoor late dining space, it would have been perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great4theloveofFOODDined on 6/2/2014Food was great, atmosphere was great, service was outstanding (we had Lilah). We went on the earlier side so it was quite and not busy. I've been there at night too when they play music on Wednesdays and it's a great bar crowd. Vegan/Vegetarian friendly too! I'll be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Earplugs Good IdeaHubPubDined on 5/31/2014Food was excellent. The atmosphere was noisy due to loud blaring rock music. It also took forever (nearly 20 minutes) to get two drinks from the menu. I suppose the cramped quarters would be noisy if one could hear other conversations. It was difficult to hear across a table for two.Special Features:
- ConvenientkuffypDined on 5/20/2014My daughters and I are there at least once per week. It is located in the same building as their ballet school. Very kid friendly.Special Features:
- Usually Satisfactory but THIS timemizslayerDined on 5/17/2014The service was atrocious and the music was WAY too loud. Like obnoxiously, super loud. I couldn't hear the person next to me AT ALL.Special Features:
- Bella Luna DinnerCapeCodderDined on 5/16/2014Bella Luna is a vibrant restaurant/bar with late night entertainment. Ample parking was available. The service was good, as was the food. It was a mixed review at our table, as the fish dinners were very good, as was the pizza, but the pork was overcooked. It is a fun location to meet with friends, but not a foodie destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i love Milky Way!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/8/2014by far one of my favorite places to go ... whether just for a drink at the bar, or for dinner with a big group of friends :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service glitchCaziVIPDined on 5/7/2014Everything is always great at Bella Luna. The only place it falls down is in sustained service. Service is great when one orders. But once you have been asked how the food is, you are forgotten about. You almost have to find someone so you can pay.Special Features:
- hip spotfreeeeDined on 5/5/2014Totally happening place! Service by Mathew was perfect. Delicious pizza and always love the salads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place..dinnerMadeEasyDined on 5/3/2014Found it by using OpenTable for the first time. Turned out to he great food and a nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively and pleasant, if noisy.BrookportDined on 5/3/2014Had been told the pizzas were outstanding, but opted for some specials that were not stellar. Would definitely go back and try again, thought, as the space is fun and the menu tempting. As a couple, we had a table of 8 near us that siphoned off our service, although the floor managers pinch-hit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/1/2014Very disappointed! Have been here before and was always extremely satisfied - but not this time! Took the waitress forever to take our order and if she had been a little more attentive we would have gotten out of the restaurant before it got to be extremely noisy. Would have also helped if we had been seated over by the windows instead of where the traffic was going to be for the band that I assume everyone knew was happening. Food was not very good one of the individuals in my party had a hamburger that had I seen before they had tried to eat it I would have sent back. A medium hamburger that you could have used as a hockey puck
- The following 423 reviews are from the Bella Luna Jamaica Plain reviews archive.
- Love bella lunaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2014The pulled por nachos were delicious. I had the el toro chicken sandwich and thought the chicken was a little big it was tasty. My friend had the brewery burger and she said it was delicious. Definately a hipster vibe and rather romantic if u went on a date there. Waitresd was down to earth and made conversation with us. The food didnt take long it came out at a timely manner. Definately goin there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- easy group dinnerjpyogiVIPDined on 4/19/2014we had some friends in town and bella luna was perfect. lots of foods to share, and we had a really wonderful server who was patient and attentive. great experience!Special Features: