Bella Luna Jamaica Plain
284 Amory St
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Bella Luna Jamaica Plain
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.milkywayjp.com/
- Phone: (617) 524-6060
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Saturdays Only 12 noon to 5 pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5pm - 10pm, Friday & Saturday 5pm - 11pm;
Bar: Sun-Tues 5pm to 11:30 pm, Wed 5pm to 12am, Thurs & Fri 5pm to 1 am, Sat 11am to 1am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef:
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: You can rent our semi-private Satellite Room any evening from 5 to 9 pm (with a minimum of 30 guests on Fri and Sat nights) or Saturday afternoons 12 noon to 4 pm, with a capacity of 20-50 guests; or rent our semi-private Satellite Room plus Lounge for 50-80 guests; or rent out the entire restaurant on Sundays from 1 to 5 pm or from 5 to 10 pm (great for weddings!). We offer delicious surprisingly affordable buffet dining options, with either a cash or open bar. All of our party options are available with pricing at milkywayjp.com.
- Private Party Contact: Ana Borras 617-524-3740x14
- Entertainment: The Milky Way Lounge continues its tradition of offering nightly entertainment and fun for the later night crowd, please check our website www.milkywayjp.com for our entertainment calendar.
- Special Events: Host your party in our Satellite Room, it's affordable, fun and easy! All of our party options on our website milkywayjp.com/parties or contact our Event Planner Ana Borras at email@example.com. We can accomodate from 15 to 150 guests, and you can rent our entire restaurant for weddings or special occasions.
- Cross Street: Boylston Street
- Public Transit: We are located just two blocks from the Stonybrook stop on the Orange Line. As you exit the station, turn left on Boylston Street, then at the light turn right onto Amory Street, we are two blocks up on the left at The Brewery, 284 Amory Street.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are 80 complementary parking spaces at The Brewery adjacent to Bella Luna/Milky Way. Please be aware that the first few spots near Amory Street are fifteen minute parking only. Also please be respectful of our residential neighbors as you depart and avoid honking, slamming doors, and loud conversation, thank you!
A word from Bella Luna Jamaica Plain
Bella Luna Restaurant & The Milky Way Lounge is a community-minded business in the heart of Jamaica Plain that celebrates the great things in life – delicious food and cocktails, American craft beers, music, art, and fun. Our brand new home at The Brewery complex at 284 Amory Street features a warm brick interior with high ceilings, a sparkly red granite u-shaped bar, comfortable booth seating, a spectacular sci-fi inspired lounge, and a dining/function/dance room which opens up onto our spacious outdoor patio under the Haffenreffer smokestack. We use fresh seasonal ingredients to craft Italian/Mediterranean dishes that are delicious and affordable. Along with dinner seven nights a week (with take out and delivery to the 02130 zip code), we are open for lunch Saturdays from 12 noon to 5 pm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Bella Luna Jamaica Plain - Best Restaurants in Jamaica Plain ›
Bella Luna Jamaica Plain reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)fit for foodies (26)kid-friendly (25)good for groups (25)great for outdoor dining (23)vibrant bar scene (17)hot spot (16)romantic (13)late-night find (12)special occasion (12)notable wine list (6)great for lunch (3)Show More
- Great for kids AND great food!JPAliAlleDined on 11/15/2014You don't have to settle for junk food when you dine with a toddler! After excellent salads and a fig/prosciutto appetizer, we had a fabulous pizza with truffle oil and wild mushrooms while our not super quiet two year-old happily slurped pineapple juice, ate his chicken and fries, and drew on the (paper) tablecloth. We felt very welcomed even though we were toting a toddler. The server and the hostess were great. There was a little mix-up with our son's meal and even though there was plenty of food on the table for him to munch on, the staff brought out a lovely platter of fruits and vegetables to tide him over. Top notch place. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!Pk64Dined on 11/8/2014a great easy going vibe with excellent food in hearty portions, a fun, expansive bar menu, and it's easy to vie from eating to dancing and back again if you have a late reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, food & drinks.Bill4JCDined on 11/7/2014We had an awesome, unhurried evening with our best friends from Boston. They picked this place as one of their favs, and we were not disappointed. Amazing dinner, drinks and service. We loved it, and when back in Boston, we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014It was much quieter than we expected for a Friday- especially because it was Halloween! But we had a great dinner served by very festive and friendly wait staff! Very quick serviceSpecial Features:
- Regular Taco Tues stopkp3398VIPDined on 10/14/2014My daughters and I stop in after ballet every Tues. Service is hit or miss depending on who you get.Special Features:
- Love this placeYumyumJune2014Dined on 10/14/2014I come here often, and am never disappointed. High quality food, high quality service and a lovely atmosphere.Special Features:
- Regular Taco Tues stopkp3398VIPDined on 10/7/2014My daughters take ballet lessons in the same building. It is our regular Tuesday night stop for dinner. Service was a bit slow this time and didn't get the mussels we ordered. Everyone is generally friendly and accommodating. When ever there has been an issue, they make it right. Worth going back every week.Special Features:
- Something for everyoneLennyVIPDined on 9/28/2014First-time experience at Bella Luna. The menu offered a number of intriguing selections, from sandwiches to full-scale entrees. The five members of our party were all pleased with their choices (all different). Excellent service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/23/2014I have visited Bella Luna many times and the food is always good, the ambiance is fantastic! The service on the other hand is terrible. They are pretty darn slow, except of course when it comes to getting the check! I would recommend just sitting at the bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014Our waitress was outstanding! She checked on us often, and attended to what we wanted. She was polite and friendly. The food was delicious and the ambience was quite nice! We were not as impressed with the manager who talked to us in a patronizing and rude fashion. Overall, I would recommend this place to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good times Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/19/2014We came for dinner and really enjoyed the laid back atmosphere of Bella Luna. The bar area is pretty large and got a bit loud later in the night, but that can be expected. Our entrees (pizza and Cannelloni) were DELICIOUS. I was little dissapointed with the Croquettes as our appetizer, they were really dry inside.Special Features:
- Interesting experienceLacklusterVIPDined on 9/19/2014Pleasant atmosphere and staff; good energy; our waiter started off strong and then didn't come back for the last 30 minutes of our meal. We had to get up and ask the host for our bill and to wrap up our food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014This night particularly noisy; menu missing some favorites from previous visitSpecial Features:
- some confusionsuzyVIPDined on 9/13/2014Waiter was friendly but confused, first handing us wrong specials menu and then returning 15 minutes later to say they were out of those things and that we had been given wrong menu so we had to start all over. Finally after 35 minutes we put in orders. Also had to request ice 3 times. When food came it was good and served hot. Dessert was only fair - don't waste calories.Special Features:
- An Enjoyable RestaurantCarolVIPDined on 9/8/2014This was the first time that my husband and I ate at Bella Luna. The atmosphere was a little different , but interesting. The food was quite good. Chances are we will return.Special Features:
- Great patioLifraDined on 9/4/2014Nice relaxed spot to eat. Good food and drink selection. Hostess was helpful and they did read my opentable request for patio seats.Special Features:
- ReliableTreefDined on 8/31/2014Love this place. Great pizza, salads and snacks! This is my neighborhood go to place when we have friends in town.Special Features:
- DisappointingMiriamDined on 8/30/2014My fiancee and I were excited to revisit Bella Luna. We had our first date there and as a newly engaged couple, we wanted to commemorate our engagement by visiting the place where it all began, so to speak. Our dining experience, unfortunately, did not live up to our expectations. For the first time EVER, I sent food back to the kitchen. The pulled pork pizza was soggy and the pulled pork was gamey. I was also surprised we were charged for the replacement pizza as we had to get it to go (by the time we got it it was late) and did not get to fully enjoy our dining experience. My fiancee ordered the mushroom lasagna which we ended up sharing and it was delicious. The server was ok. He was not knowledgeable about the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food; Not so Good ServicetxtravelerDined on 8/22/2014The food was fantastic. Unfortunately, I can not say that of the service. We were seated quickly and got in drink orders right away. After a few minutes, we ordered. I ordered a salad with my entree. Asked for it to come out first. Unfortunately, it didn't as it came out with my entree, vegan mushroom linguine. The server pretty much set down our entrees and left. Never came back to check on is. We were not offered parm. cheese (another ordered the same). The 3rd in our party ordered the burger. Our server was no where to be seen. Well, I did see him, serving behind the bar. We had to wave down anyone we could for parm. cheese, ketchup and more drinks. Later on, the bartenders were slow and not very responsive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty but sloooooooooooowwwwOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014I arrived a few minutes early for my 7:30 reservation, and I was actually seated immediately, which was nice. I should also stress that every staff member I encountered, including my server, was very nice and friendly. The food was also tasty, and the menu has a nice variety with an obvious stress on quality ingredients. It is also very respectful of vegetarians, vegans, and people looking for gluten-free options. You can eat well regardless of which diet you might follow. My only issue is with the speed of the service. While this is actually the type of place that you would very much want to linger and people-watch, you probably won't want to do that with no fresh drink/no dessert/no check. You will have to wait a long time for all of thatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great neighborhoodnapavisitorDined on 8/19/2014Very pleasant spot in JP. Food was delicious. Outdoor patio was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My friends got hooked!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/2014Every time I come, I'm always very impressed with the alcohol selection and the amazing good. I love that things seem to be fresh and relatively local. (Adding some pasture-raised meat to the list would push this place over the top for me, and would make it unparalleled to ANY restaurant). I brought a few of my friends here for the first time. They couldn't get over how perfect the atmosphere/noise level way. There was Jazz music going on for the summer music series, and it was AWESOME, but not too loud in the rest of the restaurant. The food was phenomenal. One of my friends is vegan and we were so glad to see so many vegan options on the menu. Thanks for providing such a fun and awesome restaurant! It makes me wish I lived in JP!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014Staff was nice but waiter was clueless. We waited 10 minutes and he would walk by us constantly when we needed something, like a fork, or pepper, etc and ignore us. Cool place though - food could be better for the price. Broccoli pasta dish was $19 and all it was was a bunch of stuff mashed together in a pasta dish, it tasted more like soup than a pasta dish:(Special Features:
- Great Place for a Family DinnerJGrahamDined on 8/3/2014Relaxed atmosphere with friendly staff and high quality food. Menu appeals to grown-up and kid tastes alike. I recommend the Broccoli Rabetelli, Cod Picatta, and the sweet potato fries, but you can't go wrong with one of their pizzas. Lots of parking. Makes for an easy but satisfying night out with the family.Special Features:
- DisappointingbrooklinedinersDined on 8/2/2014I felt the prices were high for the location, especially the calamari appetizer. I had the cod piccata and the cod was overwhelmed by the piccata sauce. Service was good-very pleasant waitress. My wife wanted a small side caesar or greek salad and they would not accomodate her. She felt the large salads were too large with an entree.
- Bella Luna first-timer.ExpandingHorizonsDined on 8/1/2014The reservation through open plate was easy and we were seated as soon as we got there. The staff was attentive without being pushy. Our seat felt private but not isolated. We had the strawberry salad as an appetizer (I would have liked more strawberries.) it was good. For dinner, I had the meatballs and my date had the Latin quarter pizza with the gluten free crust. The meatballs were very good. She LOVED the gluten free pizza. The fresh jalapeños made it extra delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually good, but off on last visitSlapshotgoonDined on 8/1/2014As long time JP residents, we've eaten at Bella Luna a couple times a year for many years. Our last meal there was pretty aweful, which is unusual. Not sure if The regular cooking staff was off for The night, but everything we ordered, except for one of my kids burgers, was way oversalted. We ordered an Ariancini ball appetizer which was oversalted And tasted like it was saturated in oil. The scallops And steak we ordered were way oversalted, And The fries that came with both The steak And The burger were soggy And inedible. We didnt complain to The server because we were having a festive night as a family- didnt want to deal with complaining. But, we've had very good food here before, so think this must've just been an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 454 reviews are from the Bella Luna Jamaica Plain reviews archive.
- Food was greatRedFuryDined on 7/29/2014Decadent! I had the lemon basil salmon. The drinks are a little overpriced for the glass size given. Loved the ambiance here, great for couples or friends looking to hang out. Noise level wasn't too bad for date conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great FindSusieT11Dined on 7/25/2014We had a groupon so we went to Bella Luna for a casual friday night dinner. We were really pleasantly surprised. The atmosphere is funky and energetic. The service was friendly and attentive and the food was very good. Nicely presented and delicious. We had the calamari appetizer to start and it was very good. Two of us had the lobster roll which was also good. The sides were fresh and delicious-salad, sweet potato fries all good. My husband had a delicious burger and our friend had the bean burger. Everyone was very happy with their choices. The wine and beer list was also good. The meal prices were affordable and considering the quality of the food we will be back...even without a groupon...Special Features:
- Unwilling to split billOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/25/2014We live nearby and have been to Bella Luna many times. We are usually a party of 3 couples, each with different dining habits (vegetarian, drinkers, non-drinkers) so we prefer to split the bill. Unfortunately in the past two times dining the waitress, even though she recognizes us and is very personable, is unwilling to split the bill up per couple. For that reason, we are unlikely to eat there again as a group. Had dinner tonight at a different venue and the waitress had no issue with splitting the bill, put our drink and meal orders in at the same time, and we all got our own bills.
- Great Al Fresco DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/25/2014We got here right at the opening bell (5:00 PM) on a Friday night, and pretty soon, nearly every table was spoken for. This is a popular spot, and if our experience was indicator, it's because the pizzas and salads (including vegan-firendly options) are very tasty and very reasonably priced. We'd definitely come back here again!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood spotPoppaBikerDined on 7/19/2014Have eaten here regularly since it opened. Always a pleasure - good food, excellent service.Special Features:
- Love this place...DanielDined on 7/18/2014Always have a great meal with great drinks. Just great local jointSpecial Features:
- better!BrezVIPDined on 7/12/2014With a more attentive server, everything (including bread) flowed! Fajitas including chicken and veggie options were requested, just chicken came, I noted that, and the server offered to get veggie fajitas. Did. Very nice! And excellent cod dish. So happy Bella Luna is here. Exciting nightlife ... diverse scene full of celebrations!Special Features:
- Great PlaceMarlsDined on 7/11/2014Service was great! They turn it into a nightclub around 10, though, so be careful if you've planned a late dinner. All of a sudden, noise levels go way up and a disco ball comes out. =)Special Features:
- Has been and will be betterBrezVIPDined on 7/11/2014Service depends on the server... No bread despite asking for it. Food depends on the cook... Adult meal was great but kids grilled cheese disappointed kid who reported changes for worse in cheese and bread. Overall, still love it. Serve following night was much better; some of the food was too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerUKJPvisitorDined on 7/1/2014Have used this restaurant in previous Boston visits. It was never top notch but the quality of food and service has gone downhill. Would not return.
- gr1951Dined on 6/29/2014pesto pizza was fabulous!! vodka watermelon mint drink was very refreshing! Lovely evening for outside dining.Special Features:
- Great ambiance, good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/27/2014Great selection of food, mellow ambiance, and friendly service.Special Features:
- Big group diningBertha21Dined on 6/22/2014I went to Bella Luna the other day with a large group of friends. I had remembered the food being really good and I definitely enjoy the ambience. The waitress was really friendly and welcoming and the service overall was really good. My friend ordered one of the risotto specials and unfortunately said it really didn't taste like much at all. I had a burger which was good although the side salad had way too much dressing on it. Overall a good dining experience but room for improvement with some of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.