514 8th Street, SE
Washington, DC 20003Neighborhood:
BelgianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.belgacafe.com/
- Phone: 2025440100
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:00am - 10:00pm
Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm,
Saturday: -Brunch 9:00am - 4:00pm -Dinner 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday -Brunch 9:00am - 4:00pm -Dinner 4:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Belgian
- Executive Chef: Bart M. Vandaele
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We enjoy creating a special prix fixe menu to make your large event a memorable one.
- Private Party Contact: Daniel Mahdavian 2025440100
- Entertainment: Join us for monthly beer dinner. Last Tuesday of the month! We offering 7 beers, 3 courses
Mussel Tuesday on every Tuesday!
Our signature mussel pots with fries are only $15.95! Special price available all day!
- Special Events: We offer various special menus for various occasions. Join our e-mail list for all the details of these special upcoming events.
A word from Belga Cafe
Belga cafe is a great place to eat typical Belgian cuisine. Combining an intriguing atmosphere with excellent, light and healthy interesting food. Belga Cafe is a little bit of Brussels on the Hill, with an open kitchen and a sidewalk cafe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Belga Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
260 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (133)neighborhood gem (119)great for outdoor dining (116)great for brunch (104)great for lunch (47)special occasion (47)hot spot (33)notable wine list (33)romantic (22)good for groups (21)vibrant bar scene (15)kid-friendly (14)late-night find (9)scenic view (3)Show More
- delicious again, and againgoodcompanyDined on 10/14/2014Belga is a place I am confident to share with out of town guests, and a go-to place when I just want a good meal.Special Features:
- Belga CafeCapHillFoodieDined on 10/12/2014The food was very good. The attitude of the server was not pleasant. I asked what the specials were; he said he did not know. This response was at 5 pm when the restaurant had opened at 4 pm. He sneered at my adult dining companion, who ordered spaghetti from the kids menu and who also ordered a side dish. The server said, "oh, it is going to be THAT kind of evening." He openly laughed at me when I requested more iced tea. He was apparently offering a choice between filling up my glass or bringing another. I could not hear him well, so just said, "either." It took quite a while to get the check. When it came, there was no pen and he was very short with us, saying, he would provide a pen AFTER he ran the credit card.Special Features:
- Two thumbs up!TokioDined on 10/12/2014Prices are on the higher end, but overall great ambiance, delicious food, and overall a fun brunch location in SE!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014We each enjoyed a different waffle and shared an order of Belgian fries. We've been here a few times for brunch and the food has always been outstanding. I do wish they would have Belgian hot chocolate available more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great 4 Belgian waffles or mussels!VAFoodieDined on 10/12/2014Brunch offers many waffle or eggs Benedict options. Or how about a waffle stuffed with smoked salmon?! There's something sweet and/or savory to tempt you. Don't expect large IHOP portions. This small, classy restaurant on Barracks Row serves European dishes in normal portions at DC prices. My absolute favorite and #1 reason for dining here is the mussels! The menu offers a great variety of cooking styles or sauces from traditional wine and garlic to Thai style. The bucket of mussels is a most generous portion and served with Belgian frites with freshly-made mayonnaise. Yummy! And if you like Belgian beer, then you have found your new favorite place in DC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Long wait.SpincanaDined on 10/11/2014The food for brunch was great. The waiting, even with reservation, was ridiculous. I don't recommend large groups. Also there's nowhere to wait in the restaurant. Bit disappointing...it was my bday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic WafflesDinersVIPDined on 10/11/2014Had some wonderful savory food for brunch! Enjoyed the Duck Confit and fabulous omelette fare...Special Features:
- Authentic Belgian CuisineKnifeAndForkReadyDined on 10/10/2014Been a while since we've been back, but it's great food even if prices have gone up. Great selection of authentic beers. Nice to see owner and Chef talking to customers.
- Good food2StarsBraboVIPDined on 10/10/2014Belga cafe is one of my favorite places to go for dinner or brunch. I took my sister who was visiting from overseas with a friend of hers for dinner. I was disappointed because there were many missing items on the menu and the server was not well trained. All the entrees and desserts we ordered were very good.Special Features:
- Awesome as always.RickVIPDined on 10/10/2014What can we say more than we had a very enjoyable time here as always. Service is prompt and accommodating. Food is excellent and beer list is wonderful. Our number one goto spot.Special Features:
- My favorite DC brunchBostonLBVIPDined on 10/4/2014The waffles here are to die for. And this time around, the service was perfect. There was no rush, they re-filled my coffee at perfect intervals, and everyone was lovely to us. Highly recommend, they are waffle geniuses!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014I was there for lunch and since it was a sunny day, I took a seat outside. 8th street can be rather busy but the noise level was not too high. I ordered mussels marinière and they where well prepared, altough the portion was rather small. The restaurant has a fine list of Belgian beers and I took a delicious Ciney. Overall it was a good experience and on an other occasion, I might return. Only downside was the price of the beers. I am fully aware of the fact that they all have to be imported but since I am a Belgian myself, it was quiet a shock to pay a staggering 13 dollars plus tips for my drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodddinerDined on 9/29/2014Belga always has great food and an extensive selection of beer. Seafood croquets were excellent as was the lamb loin. Service is informative and promptSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful dinnerPieterandIsaDined on 9/25/2014Our dinner was very good, we had the beignets and the biefstuk. Complimenten aan de chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- newtohillDined on 9/21/2014We had a reservation. Were immediately seated - which was great. We felt RUSHED the entire time. Sunday brunch we sat at 11 and had our bill at 11:45. No lingering here!! Food was good though. Waffles lovely!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch on the RowOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/21/2014Great brunch at Belga. We tried three different waffles and all were hits. The scrambled eggs with mushrooms offered a big plate of delicious. Service was a bit leisurely, but the food arrived quickly. Inside always feels crowded and noisy, but we snagged a table outside on a perfect morning to enjoy the sights.
- Great beer listOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014A fantastic list of Belgian beers that match the wonderful food perfectly.Special Features:
- Everything is goodgoodcompanyDined on 9/19/2014But some dishes, like the lamb loin are spectacular.Special Features:
- AppreciationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014We loved eating in Belga Cafe - the real Belgian stuff if you are away for a longer time in a nice environmentSpecial Features:
- freshaireDined on 9/14/2014Friends from the 'burbs made the trip into Belga ONLY because it was Belga. We thoroughly enjoyed the food and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent brunch choicerestweeknewbieDined on 9/14/2014Brunch was amazing. Try the napoleon mimosa, and order anything from the menu that comes with a waffle!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superb dining experienceNearNeighborDined on 9/13/2014We felt starved for good red meat! We got it and great French fries and salad, as well as some intriguing bread. So glad we turned to Belga.Special Features:
- Reliably GoodWillimVIPDined on 9/13/2014This was our fourth or fifth dining experience with Belga. Mussels and Belgian beer are specialties of the house, remembering that 'beer is to Belgium as wine is to France'. Stick with the excellent beer because the wines are grossly over-priced, and the Riesling we ordered was barely drinkable . The quantity of mussels in each order is prodigious and the quality outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Good atmosphereEckyDined on 9/9/2014Went there for the beer selection and it did not disappoint! Food was goodI would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice beer listOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/9/2014Amazing beer and wine list that is bigger than the food menu :) Authentic Belgian cuisine. Got a great recommendation for a new beer to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not wow'd!SancerreDined on 9/9/2014Eating outdoors was lovely on a beautiful day! Mussels not anything special and frites not as yummy as usual. Just an off day perhaps? Was a bit disappointed as I've consistently enjoyed meals at Belga Cafe in the past.Special Features:
- A little disappointed.EmmaDined on 9/6/2014My friends and I had just finished eating our lunch and paid. We were wrapping up our conversation when the waiter came to our table and informed that we needed to move because a party of 10 wanted to sit by the window. We had reservation at 12 p.m. and that party had more people than they initially reserved for their 1 p.m. I was appalled and asked to speak with the Manager. The manager initially did not understand how rude it was to ask an already seated party to move either to another table or the bar because of this new party's failure to plan accordingly and tried to place blame on the waiter, who followed his direction. The restaurant tried to appease us with complimentary mimosas, the damage was done. Be courteous to all!!!
- kaiserDined on 9/5/2014Very nice beer list and the inside was fun but uncomfortably warm. The steak and frites were solid though the mussels were underwhelming. Would happily come back for drinks and an app though not sure I would do dinner again there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never ceases to amazeynadalDined on 9/1/2014We've been to Belga 3 or 4 times and the food is just incredible and never ceases to amaze us. The food combinations for breakfast are unbelievable. Anyone who happens to be in he are must go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved it!IngridromBelgiumDined on 8/31/2014We as Belgians were surprised by the quality of the food. Service was great and the food was fabulous. Prices are certainly correct. The Kriek Lambic even tasted different than here in Belgium. One of my daughters took the waterzooi and was really the best she ever eat. We certainly would recommend this restaurant. Doe zo voort!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Pleasing DinnernewyorktlhDined on 8/31/2014The food was pleasingly different and represented the best of Belgian cuisine, but also offered approachable options for any palate. The services was attentive and friendly. Overall this is a great neighborhood place and worth the trip to Baracks Row if you want great Belgian food.Special Features:
- Best steak of my life.BrunchForFunDined on 8/31/2014I took my boyfriend here for a romantic Sunday brunch. The decor was good, but the tables were a bit close together, and it tended to be loud. What made this place awesome was the food. I had the best steak of my life! Get fries with everything. The beer list was a book, and the mimosas were fun. Plus our waitor was perfect: attentive without being overbearing, knowledgable about the food without being arrogant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great timefoodie8heartDined on 8/31/2014The food and drinks are superb. The drinks menu is great- variety of Belgian beers, great wines and wonderful house cocktails. You can never go wrong with the mussels!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014While visiting DC this past weekend, we were pleasantly surprised to find this great little spot in SE. The food was excellent and the staff was very pleasant. The brunch crowd was plentiful, but the staff kept a cool head and made us feel comfortable. The hostess was wonderful and she honored our reservation even though we were 15 minutes late I will recommend to all and will be back. By the way, the Mimosas are to die for!Special Features:
- Good food, small portionsKimbyVIPDined on 8/31/2014When I think about eating waffles, I think about leaving the table stuffed. Sadly, everyone in my party cleaned their plates and we were still hungry! I am not a huge eater either, so that may be saying something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place butLovebitDined on 8/30/2014I love this place for the food ambiance and great service but this time it was very hot in the dining area.Special Features:
- Best Waffles I Ever Had!DanaDined on 8/30/2014I had the mango belgium waffles and my husband had the pulled pork belgium waffles and both were absolutely AMAZING! We were able to enjoy the perfect sweet/savory brunch.Special Features:
- Complete DisappointmentFirstTimeRestaurantWeekDined on 8/30/2014I had been wanting to try their brunch for months! I finally went to enjoy a beautiful morning on the patio with a friend. We arrived a few minutes before opening but they kindly sat us early outside with (gross) coffee and water. My mango fig Belgian waffle tasted good, although it was luke warm and surprisingly small. Additionally, I ordered a side: a bucket of bacon. Sounds like heaven, right? Well I didn't know you could mess up bacon: it was as if someone painted a sheet of paper to look like bacon (yes, it was as thin as paper) and put a few droplets of artificial bacon flavoring on the paper, and then sprayed the paper with grease. I couldn't believe it. Overall, a complete disappointment after months of anticipation.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Too loud and crowded, average food and service was not prompt or thorough.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014I really enjoyed the good. I want to come back for dinner again and try branch too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.