514 8th Street, SE
Washington, DC 20003Neighborhood:
BelgianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.belgacafe.com/
- Phone: 2025440100
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:00am - 10:00pm
Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm,
Saturday: -Brunch 9:00am - 4:00pm -Dinner 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday -Brunch 9:00am - 4:00pm -Dinner 4:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Belgian
- Executive Chef: Bart M. Vandaele
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We enjoy creating a special prix fixe menu to make your large event a memorable one.
- Private Party Contact: Daniel Mahdavian 2025440100
- Entertainment: Join us for monthly beer dinner. Last Tuesday of the month! We offering 7 beers, 3 courses
Mussel Tuesday on every Tuesday!
Our signature mussel pots with fries are only $15.95! Special price available all day!
- Special Events: We offer various special menus for various occasions. Join our e-mail list for all the details of these special upcoming events.
A word from Belga Cafe
Belga cafe is a great place to eat typical Belgian cuisine. Combining an intriguing atmosphere with excellent, light and healthy interesting food. Belga Cafe is a little bit of Brussels on the Hill, with an open kitchen and a sidewalk cafe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Belga Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
285 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (140)great for outdoor dining (131)neighborhood gem (129)great for brunch (129)great for lunch (54)special occasion (52)notable wine list (35)hot spot (33)romantic (24)good for groups (22)vibrant bar scene (21)kid-friendly (20)late-night find (10)scenic view (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014Friends from the 'burbs made the trip into Belga ONLY because it was Belga. We thoroughly enjoyed the food and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent brunch choicerestweeknewbieDined on 9/14/2014Brunch was amazing. Try the napoleon mimosa, and order anything from the menu that comes with a waffle!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superb dining experienceNearNeighborDined on 9/13/2014We felt starved for good red meat! We got it and great French fries and salad, as well as some intriguing bread. So glad we turned to Belga.Special Features:
- Reliably GoodWillimVIPDined on 9/13/2014This was our fourth or fifth dining experience with Belga. Mussels and Belgian beer are specialties of the house, remembering that 'beer is to Belgium as wine is to France'. Stick with the excellent beer because the wines are grossly over-priced, and the Riesling we ordered was barely drinkable . The quantity of mussels in each order is prodigious and the quality outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Good atmosphereEckyDined on 9/9/2014Went there for the beer selection and it did not disappoint! Food was goodI would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice beer listOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/9/2014Amazing beer and wine list that is bigger than the food menu :) Authentic Belgian cuisine. Got a great recommendation for a new beer to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not wow'd!SancerreDined on 9/9/2014Eating outdoors was lovely on a beautiful day! Mussels not anything special and frites not as yummy as usual. Just an off day perhaps? Was a bit disappointed as I've consistently enjoyed meals at Belga Cafe in the past.Special Features:
- A little disappointed.EmmaDined on 9/6/2014My friends and I had just finished eating our lunch and paid. We were wrapping up our conversation when the waiter came to our table and informed that we needed to move because a party of 10 wanted to sit by the window. We had reservation at 12 p.m. and that party had more people than they initially reserved for their 1 p.m. I was appalled and asked to speak with the Manager. The manager initially did not understand how rude it was to ask an already seated party to move either to another table or the bar because of this new party's failure to plan accordingly and tried to place blame on the waiter, who followed his direction. The restaurant tried to appease us with complimentary mimosas, the damage was done. Be courteous to all!!!
- kaiserDined on 9/5/2014Very nice beer list and the inside was fun but uncomfortably warm. The steak and frites were solid though the mussels were underwhelming. Would happily come back for drinks and an app though not sure I would do dinner again there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never ceases to amazeynadalDined on 9/1/2014We've been to Belga 3 or 4 times and the food is just incredible and never ceases to amaze us. The food combinations for breakfast are unbelievable. Anyone who happens to be in he are must go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved it!IngridromBelgiumDined on 8/31/2014We as Belgians were surprised by the quality of the food. Service was great and the food was fabulous. Prices are certainly correct. The Kriek Lambic even tasted different than here in Belgium. One of my daughters took the waterzooi and was really the best she ever eat. We certainly would recommend this restaurant. Doe zo voort!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Pleasing DinnernewyorktlhDined on 8/31/2014The food was pleasingly different and represented the best of Belgian cuisine, but also offered approachable options for any palate. The services was attentive and friendly. Overall this is a great neighborhood place and worth the trip to Baracks Row if you want great Belgian food.Special Features:
- Best steak of my life.BrunchForFunDined on 8/31/2014I took my boyfriend here for a romantic Sunday brunch. The decor was good, but the tables were a bit close together, and it tended to be loud. What made this place awesome was the food. I had the best steak of my life! Get fries with everything. The beer list was a book, and the mimosas were fun. Plus our waitor was perfect: attentive without being overbearing, knowledgable about the food without being arrogant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great timefoodie8heartDined on 8/31/2014The food and drinks are superb. The drinks menu is great- variety of Belgian beers, great wines and wonderful house cocktails. You can never go wrong with the mussels!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014While visiting DC this past weekend, we were pleasantly surprised to find this great little spot in SE. The food was excellent and the staff was very pleasant. The brunch crowd was plentiful, but the staff kept a cool head and made us feel comfortable. The hostess was wonderful and she honored our reservation even though we were 15 minutes late I will recommend to all and will be back. By the way, the Mimosas are to die for!Special Features:
- Good food, small portionsKimbyVIPDined on 8/31/2014When I think about eating waffles, I think about leaving the table stuffed. Sadly, everyone in my party cleaned their plates and we were still hungry! I am not a huge eater either, so that may be saying something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place butLovebitDined on 8/30/2014I love this place for the food ambiance and great service but this time it was very hot in the dining area.Special Features:
- Best Waffles I Ever Had!DanaDined on 8/30/2014I had the mango belgium waffles and my husband had the pulled pork belgium waffles and both were absolutely AMAZING! We were able to enjoy the perfect sweet/savory brunch.Special Features:
- Complete DisappointmentFirstTimeRestaurantWeekDined on 8/30/2014I had been wanting to try their brunch for months! I finally went to enjoy a beautiful morning on the patio with a friend. We arrived a few minutes before opening but they kindly sat us early outside with (gross) coffee and water. My mango fig Belgian waffle tasted good, although it was luke warm and surprisingly small. Additionally, I ordered a side: a bucket of bacon. Sounds like heaven, right? Well I didn't know you could mess up bacon: it was as if someone painted a sheet of paper to look like bacon (yes, it was as thin as paper) and put a few droplets of artificial bacon flavoring on the paper, and then sprayed the paper with grease. I couldn't believe it. Overall, a complete disappointment after months of anticipation.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Too loud and crowded, average food and service was not prompt or thorough.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014I really enjoyed the good. I want to come back for dinner again and try branch too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ColumbiaWineEnthusiastDined on 8/28/2014Great spot for Belgian mussels and draft beer for lunch. Had three work colleagues out for lunch and enjoyed pleasant conversation indoors. Everyone said their orders were tasty. Service was efficient, but not rushed. Meal lasted about one hour. Recommend the Kip and Krab Sigaars for an appetizer. Probably should have ordered the waffle with crab. Convenient location within ten blocks of the ballpark and capital.Special Features:
- Oops forgot to convert from EurosFirozeVIPDined on 8/26/2014Reasonably good food; but pricey. This restaurant has all the three high spots of the successful restaurant, location, location, location. The standard Belgian fare is well represented, mussels five different way. The fries are very well done and served correctly with mayonnaise. The beer list is huge as you would expect. The prices are high. For what they charge you would expect white table cloths - no, you get plastic place mats. The portions are not tapas style but this is America we expect larger portion. The presentation is nouvelle cuisine. All in all a fun restaurant, but they could be hugely popular if they either lowered their prices or served larger portions. But then again they usually are over two thirds full so why change.
- Great Belgian FoodAnnBDined on 8/24/2014We enjoyed a take on a savory waffle and a pot of mussels--two Belgian standards but with interesting twists. The waffle was corn/cornmeal with pulled pork, and the mussels were in a garlic-cream broth that we ate with a spoon like soup. My husband enjoyed the German non-alcoholic beer very much. It was a bit noisy, but that was not unexpected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for brunchLenaDined on 8/24/2014Very tasty food and best bloody marry! The service was quick despite the fact that the place was packed.Special Features:
- Charming neighborhood eateryMommapudDined on 8/24/2014Ate brunch here with two teens while visiting DC. The menu held interest for all of us. The food was great. Loved my mango waffle. Service was attentive, but not obtrusive. Phoned front of house when is was clear I would be around five or ten minutes late for my reservation, they were most accommodating despite a queue waiting for tables.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014I loved Belga Cafe when I lived in DC 4 years ago. My return trip this past weekend was a disappointment. Service was quick and friendly but the food was bland, and delivered so quickly that I can't fathom it was made to order. My green eggs were watery and bland. My friend's crepes were small in portion size and nothing special. For the cost of the plate, his crepes were not worth it, and my eggs were not worth any price. I'm sad to see the decline in this once-fantastic brunch spot. Belga Cafe, I hope you can turn it back around!
- Great FindJimGDined on 8/22/2014Great location...wonderful Belgium style food...got us right to our table and everyone was very friendly and helpful!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014The food was delicious and the waiters were very friendly. The only negative feedback I have is that as we were the last customers they started to put the chairs on the tables when we were still enjoying our glass of wine. They asked us for dessert or more drinks and if we accepted this to drink our last glass they started to clean up, dimming the lights... We didn't aprreciated this at all, specailly the wines are not so cheap, I like to enjoy my glass in a nice atmosphere. I would have preferred that they told us they wanted to close instead of putting us in an uncomfortable way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belga Cafe is delightful dining!!MarthaCritiqueVIPDined on 8/20/2014A fantastic culinary experience from the waffles to the mussels of all flavors. I wholeheartedly recommend them for all occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not goodDisappointedDined on 8/20/2014Don' t order the Waffle with Crab. It says King Crab legs served with it. The crab legs we got were about 4 inches long and as big around as a chopstick. We also ordered the halibut and it was tough and very dry. Salads were good. There were four of us and we had one glass of wine and Pierre and the bill was $141.00 without the tip. Very disappointing - would not go back.Very disappointing - would not go back. Best part of dinner was when we left and got ice cream at another place.
- Awesome FoodJeditexanVIPDined on 8/19/2014Menu is fantastic, bread is wonderful - fabulous selection of Belgian beers. Just a special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid !patjeDined on 8/18/2014Good to find in a country so far from home the delicious Belgian food. The different choices we made (6 persons) were very good and tastefully prepared and you could eat with your eyes. Very friendly and attendful personal, the attention for the Belgians guest was very kindly. Felicitations to Bart and his team.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Stop Before a Nats Game!xxxxxxVIPDined on 8/17/2014Mussels and Frites + Belgian Ales. You can't go wrong at Belga Cafe. Did you know that it is possible to "hit for the cycle" with single, dubbel, tripel and quadrupel selections from the extensive beer menu.Special Features:
- Wanted to love itKerinkVIPDined on 8/17/2014But didn't. It wasn't a comfortable space. I couldn't hear my dining companion...at brunch. The service was harried and maybe I just ordered wrong. My egg on the short ribs was like leather, my friend loved her green eggs. And, $8 for a little frites seems kinda bonkers. The crepes were good because, Nutella. I preferred B Too to belga.Special Features:
- Bucket of Bacon w/ a Side of WaffleYLeeCoyoteVIPDined on 8/17/2014Yes, they have a bucket of bacon, and yes, it is very good. After that, the waffles stuffed with crab is a sweety versiosn of crab cake, but the saffron sauce sets it off. The pulled pork waffles is also amazing. The staff is great, and my coffee mug never got below half way full.Special Features:
- Great Menu, Bad FoodTheGazzVIPDined on 8/16/2014Just look at the menu on OT.com. I sure could not resist. We were welcomed (actually not at all) by the coldest host you have ever seen. Our waited was a bit warmer, but one of those servers you need to ask three times for him to actually get it for you. My waffle with cinnomen apple compote was the size lf a large "wafflt fry", hearvy as lead, with four (yes -- you could count them) slices of the smallest apple I had ever seen with some raisings cooked down. I could not eat the waffle - it was so heavy and tought Hubby had some kind of eggs with basil and spinach an it lookied like a green of guacomole on an english muffin. Green eggs --no ham. Just really disappointed in this one.
- Above avg food, horrible serviceDcdiner928Dined on 8/16/2014We were seated in a tight corner so right between other tables out server couldn't get to the table...if he tried. He didn't tho instead he took 15 minutes to greet us and his treating was "What do you want?". We ordered two cocktails which at $11 a piece I would expect decent quality booze instead it was rail quality bourbon. I know $10 cocktails are the norm in dc now but at least most places make it worth it. We both ordered food which came out quickly and was played well. Literally the second the food was dropped the server did his "mandatory" how is it? Uhh I don't know I haven't gotten to bite into it..he never came back again until he dropped the check. When he dropped the check he didn't say thank you or anything. Never coming back
- Great place for brunch!CapnBen22Dined on 8/16/2014We had reservations and arrived a bit early. But no worries we were seated right away! The Bloody Mary's were excellent and the waffles fantastic! We'll go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favorite restaurantBaconLoverDined on 8/15/2014The food and service were amazing. The beer list was extensive and wonderful. New favorite restaurant on Capitol Hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.