514 8th Street, SE
Washington, DC 20003Neighborhood:
BelgianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.belgacafe.com/
- Phone: (202) 544-0100
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:00am - 10:00pm
Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm,
Saturday: -Brunch 9:00am - 4:00pm -Dinner 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday -Brunch 9:00am - 4:00pm -Dinner 4:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Belgian
- Executive Chef: Bart M. Vandaele
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We enjoy creating a special prix fixe menu to make your large event a memorable one.
- Private Party Contact: Daniel Mahdavian 2025440100
- Entertainment: Join us for monthly beer dinner. Last Tuesday of the month! We offering 7 beers, 3 courses
Mussel Tuesday on every Tuesday!
Our signature mussel pots with fries are only $15.95! Special price available all day!
- Special Events: We offer various special menus for various occasions. Join our e-mail list for all the details of these special upcoming events.
A word from Belga Cafe
Belga cafe is a great place to eat typical Belgian cuisine. Combining an intriguing atmosphere with excellent, light and healthy interesting food. Belga Cafe is a little bit of Brussels on the Hill, with an open kitchen and a sidewalk cafe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Belga Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
257 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (143)neighborhood gem (127)great for brunch (99)great for outdoor dining (86)special occasion (60)great for lunch (46)romantic (36)notable wine list (34)hot spot (34)good for groups (30)vibrant bar scene (13)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (7)scenic view (2)Show More
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/23/2014I love going to Belga Cafe for brunch. The only negative is that often times I have a reservation and I am still waiting for a table. I understand that the restaurant can't force people to eat faster or prevent people from lingering, but there has to be a better system. Thirty minutes is a bit much to wait when you have a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding brunch and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/23/2014Arrived at 11 a.m. for brunch to find a line waiting to get in. Immediately brought to a table for our 11 a.m. reservation. Restaurant was bustling with young professional crowd. Waiter arrived immediately and took our drink orders. Our food was delivered to the table less than ten minutes after we ordered. Waffles were as good as I have anywhere (including Belgium). Fresh berries were ripe and fresh, presented well with ample whipped cream. Braised sausages were excellent as were the crab/chicken "cigars" (sort of an Indian spicing). This was my first time as an out of town traveler, so no special treatment. Was encouraged to take my time after we finished, despite the still present line. If this were in my neighborhood I would eat there every weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing breakfast!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/22/2014I took my parents here for breakfast. The server was very knowledgeable and timely. She made great recommendations and we loved all of our selections. The waffles were perfect. Great atmosphere as well. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and good service and flattering lightingConvertVIPDined on 11/20/2014Our meal started with excellent wine choices from the waitress. She listened to what we were thinking of ordering for a main course and chose accordingly. Pur appetizers were delicious beginnings to our meal. The stew and mussels were perfect. An all around good meal was had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChevyVIPDined on 11/18/2014We had a fine time visiting, and the food was uniformly tasty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding fooddcfoodie88Dined on 11/16/2014The food is excellent and the menu is well balanced with selections for everyone. The setting is nice and the service is excellent. I highly recommend belga café.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant is good but crampedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/16/2014The food is pretty good. They cram too many people in and it seems like you're rushed for your meal. The food was a bit cold--probably because they were overwhelmed by the crowd.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommend this one.ImpresarioVIPDined on 11/15/2014The venison was delicious...wonderful sauce. I thought the pork tenderloin was a bit overdone...the root veggies were wonderful. Place was packed, obviously others like it too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit pricey, but not badOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014The food was good and the cocktails were tasty, but it was really really expensive for what is was...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuesday Night AwesomenesskathyrunsDined on 11/11/2014I've been going here for several years for lunches, brunches and dinners and Tuesday was the first time I've been for the Tuesday night special. All Mussel pots are $15! Yes, even the lobster and that is what I got. It was delicious.Special Features:
- too noisy to talk about the fooddcfdscnVIPDined on 11/9/2014On our third visit to Belga Cafe, due to weather conditions we ate inside. The tables are fairly close, the bar is in the dining area, and the noise levels make conversation close to impossible. Food is very good -- incredible fries (much better than Brasserie Beck and worth getting on their own if you don't go for Mussels), complex sauces (lamb dish is skimpy on the lamb but has such a great sauce and delicious freshly sauteed spinach and mushrooms that I didn't mind), and very good desserts (chocolate ice cream on the flourless chocolate cake is tastiest I've had in ages and warm cherry almond cake is delicious). Food is great, but eating outside is much more pleasant than eating in the very noisy dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad serviceDebsDined on 11/9/2014Server wasn't friendly at all. Always in a hurry/rush. Forgot to bring one side order. It felt very crowded. Place is definitely too small. I wouldn't go there with more than two people. Food was great!!! I would definitely go there again due to the good food experience, but if you are looking for a better ambiance and more quite location, I wouldn't recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, horrible service.AllesKlarGRAFVIPDined on 11/9/2014The food was phenomenal. The people who work there are generally nice (our waitress was great!), but after reserving a table and waiting an hour and 45 minutes AFTER the time of our reservation to get to a table, we were tired and hungry. If you don't mind waiting, even if you make a reservation, then go for it. The food is really quite great. However, if you are going for an overall experience, I would skip this place.
- Great food, bad atmosphereKD14Dined on 11/8/2014The food was great and almost overshadowed everything else. I am considering going back at a less busy time. However, I made a reservation and still had to wait 30 minutes. The restaurant was loud and crowded---it was hard to have a conversation. People waiting for their tables crowded near the door and, made it difficult to get in and out. Tip-whenever anyone leans on the short wall near the door, the table behind it moves automatically. Don't sit there. I felt rushed and the waiter barely listened for our orders before speeding away. Also, I had to ask for a glass of water twice. The tables were so small that we declined to order something we wanted because we didn't know where to put it. Worth visiting, but at a less busy time.Special Features:
- Always DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2014This is a great place to have a great meal and converse with dining partners. Beer selection is wide and authentic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belga CafediningatbelgaDined on 11/7/2014We've been here before and always love it. Food is good and display of food creative. It's a cute little stylish restaurant, good on a cold night with friends or for a romantic evening for two. Great beer and some wines. Bar is stylish and servers are friendly. One wall of exposed brick gives it a nice urban feel. Very cute!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysRollltide1Dined on 11/7/2014Wonderful dinner. Eduardo was very attentive and took great care of us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic anniversary dinner!mrmoonpieDined on 11/5/2014Our anniversary dinner was fantastic. We're foodies, and the menu gave us several wonderful offerings. Portions were large, but not crazy large--after we ordered one appetizer and two entrees, the waiter warned us that we'd ordered enough food: "Leave room for dessert," he said. Really nice night out.Special Features:
- Always specialFoodie123Dined on 11/2/2014Love coming here. The food is delicious! The hostesses could improve their customer service but overall would recommend this place to everyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhLovesBreakfastVIPDined on 11/1/2014The breakfast was completely underwhelming and what was left was a soggy waffle that was completely overpriced.
- A Hill Favorite!AzayDined on 10/29/2014I invited my nephew here to break the ice after a year or more of lost contact. I was not sure what his impression would be of this restaurant since he is from Tennessee. We both had the "Steak Frites" and loved it. Our server was very friendly and attentive despite the buzz and busyness of the place. Bravo Belga. We will both be back!Special Features:
- beer dinnersrazorburtVIPDined on 10/28/2014Their beer dinners are legendary - we even had Westvleteren for the 10th anniversarySpecial Features:
- Delicious!!littletigerDined on 10/25/2014I love going here for brunch. They have such an interesting menu and I can't wait to try every single item. The salmon waffle as well as the pulled pork waffle are my favorite so far. And the beermosa is delicious! Service is also great and the food is ready within 10/15 minutes.Special Features:
- Good brunch, minimal serviceambomoVIPDined on 10/25/2014Had a nice brunch - scrambled eggs w/ mushroom brunch dish was very good. The service was minimal - coffee refills were not generous. My eggs came with hashbrowns and English muffin, but I was offered no condiments for either. I finished my entire plate before the waiter was in hearing distance to request butter. At that point, the English muffin was cold, so I didn't eat much of it anyway.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/25/2014Belga's food is fine, but every time I have been there the service is aggravating. There are times when servers are adequate, but the attitude of staff there is quite poor. In general, the staff is self-satisfied and smug, and thus I only go to Belga if no other option is available.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/24/2014Unfamiliar with Washington restaurants, just took a chance on Belga and it was wonderful!Special Features:
- Always a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/22/2014Another pleasant dining experience at Belga, the staff is friendly and the food is always superb! The waitress brought a dessert and us some drinks to toast on very short notice after we told her that one of our guests was celebrating her birthday. Belga is and will remain one of my favorite restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place!IsladelencantoVIPDined on 10/19/2014Wonderful place, great food, great ambience! Good customer service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiting for brunchFeedMeDined on 10/19/2014Great food, great atmosphere, but had to wait an hour after our reservation to be seated. This was my third time there and I was disappointed.Special Features:
- Good food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014The food is good, and Belga has a great beer selection, but we felt rushed the entire night.Special Features:
- Food = fine, staff could do betterPerfectionDined on 10/18/2014The staff seemed to be either overly attentive (coming to ask and take our plates away multiple times, even though we were still eating), or hard to reach- didn't provide milk for my tea, or a saucer to put my tea bag on. Also they forgot parts of our order and then claimed that they had given them to us.Special Features:
- Not the MusselsNYEDinerDined on 10/17/2014We sat outside, and Belga provided fleece blankets which was wonderful! I ordered the mussels, and they were okay - far from being the best in the city. The venison entree was pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious again, and againgoodcompanyDined on 10/14/2014Belga is a place I am confident to share with out of town guests, and a go-to place when I just want a good meal.Special Features:
- Belga CafeCapHillFoodieDined on 10/12/2014The food was very good. The attitude of the server was not pleasant. I asked what the specials were; he said he did not know. This response was at 5 pm when the restaurant had opened at 4 pm. He sneered at my adult dining companion, who ordered spaghetti from the kids menu and who also ordered a side dish. The server said, "oh, it is going to be THAT kind of evening." He openly laughed at me when I requested more iced tea. He was apparently offering a choice between filling up my glass or bringing another. I could not hear him well, so just said, "either." It took quite a while to get the check. When it came, there was no pen and he was very short with us, saying, he would provide a pen AFTER he ran the credit card.Special Features:
- Two thumbs up!TokioDined on 10/12/2014Prices are on the higher end, but overall great ambiance, delicious food, and overall a fun brunch location in SE!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014We each enjoyed a different waffle and shared an order of Belgian fries. We've been here a few times for brunch and the food has always been outstanding. I do wish they would have Belgian hot chocolate available more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great 4 Belgian waffles or mussels!VAFoodieDined on 10/12/2014Brunch offers many waffle or eggs Benedict options. Or how about a waffle stuffed with smoked salmon?! There's something sweet and/or savory to tempt you. Don't expect large IHOP portions. This small, classy restaurant on Barracks Row serves European dishes in normal portions at DC prices. My absolute favorite and #1 reason for dining here is the mussels! The menu offers a great variety of cooking styles or sauces from traditional wine and garlic to Thai style. The bucket of mussels is a most generous portion and served with Belgian frites with freshly-made mayonnaise. Yummy! And if you like Belgian beer, then you have found your new favorite place in DC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Long wait.SpincanaDined on 10/11/2014The food for brunch was great. The waiting, even with reservation, was ridiculous. I don't recommend large groups. Also there's nowhere to wait in the restaurant. Bit disappointing...it was my bday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic WafflesDinersVIPDined on 10/11/2014Had some wonderful savory food for brunch! Enjoyed the Duck Confit and fabulous omelette fare...Special Features:
- Authentic Belgian CuisineKnifeAndForkReadyDined on 10/10/2014Been a while since we've been back, but it's great food even if prices have gone up. Great selection of authentic beers. Nice to see owner and Chef talking to customers.