514 8th Street, SE
Washington, DC 20003Neighborhood:
BelgianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.belgacafe.com/
- Phone: 2025440100
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:00am - 10:00pm
Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm,
Saturday: -Brunch 9:00am - 4:00pm -Dinner 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday -Brunch 9:00am - 4:00pm -Dinner 4:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Belgian
- Executive Chef: Bart M. Vandaele
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We enjoy creating a special prix fixe menu to make your large event a memorable one.
- Private Party Contact: Daniel Mahdavian 2025440100
- Entertainment: Join us for monthly beer dinner. Last Tuesday of the month! We offering 7 beers, 3 courses
Mussel Tuesday on every Tuesday!
Our signature mussel pots with fries are only $15.95! Special price available all day!
- Special Events: We offer various special menus for various occasions. Join our e-mail list for all the details of these special upcoming events.
A word from Belga Cafe
Belga cafe is a great place to eat typical Belgian cuisine. Combining an intriguing atmosphere with excellent, light and healthy interesting food. Belga Cafe is a little bit of Brussels on the Hill, with an open kitchen and a sidewalk cafe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Belga Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
304 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (154)fit for foodies (143)neighborhood gem (142)great for outdoor dining (140)great for lunch (64)special occasion (52)hot spot (34)notable wine list (31)romantic (30)vibrant bar scene (21)kid-friendly (21)good for groups (20)late-night find (10)scenic view (4)Show More
- Oops forgot to convert from EurosFirozeVIPDined on 8/26/2014Reasonably good food; but pricey. This restaurant has all the three high spots of the successful restaurant, location, location, location. The standard Belgian fare is well represented, mussels five different way. The fries are very well done and served correctly with mayonnaise. The beer list is huge as you would expect. The prices are high. For what they charge you would expect white table cloths - no, you get plastic place mats. The portions are not tapas style but this is America we expect larger portion. The presentation is nouvelle cuisine. All in all a fun restaurant, but they could be hugely popular if they either lowered their prices or served larger portions. But then again they usually are over two thirds full so why change.
- Great Belgian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/24/2014We enjoyed a take on a savory waffle and a pot of mussels--two Belgian standards but with interesting twists. The waffle was corn/cornmeal with pulled pork, and the mussels were in a garlic-cream broth that we ate with a spoon like soup. My husband enjoyed the German non-alcoholic beer very much. It was a bit noisy, but that was not unexpected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming neighborhood eateryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Ate brunch here with two teens while visiting DC. The menu held interest for all of us. The food was great. Loved my mango waffle. Service was attentive, but not obtrusive. Phoned front of house when is was clear I would be around five or ten minutes late for my reservation, they were most accommodating despite a queue waiting for tables.Special Features:
- Great FindJimGDined on 8/22/2014Great location...wonderful Belgium style food...got us right to our table and everyone was very friendly and helpful!Special Features:
- Belga Cafe is delightful dining!!MarthaCritiqueVIPDined on 8/20/2014A fantastic culinary experience from the waffles to the mussels of all flavors. I wholeheartedly recommend them for all occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not goodDisappointedDined on 8/20/2014Don' t order the Waffle with Crab. It says King Crab legs served with it. The crab legs we got were about 4 inches long and as big around as a chopstick. We also ordered the halibut and it was tough and very dry. Salads were good. There were four of us and we had one glass of wine and Pierre and the bill was $141.00 without the tip. Very disappointing - would not go back.Very disappointing - would not go back. Best part of dinner was when we left and got ice cream at another place.
- Awesome FoodJeditexanVIPDined on 8/19/2014Menu is fantastic, bread is wonderful - fabulous selection of Belgian beers. Just a special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid !patjeDined on 8/18/2014Good to find in a country so far from home the delicious Belgian food. The different choices we made (6 persons) were very good and tastefully prepared and you could eat with your eyes. Very friendly and attendful personal, the attention for the Belgians guest was very kindly. Felicitations to Bart and his team.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Stop Before a Nats Game!xxxxxxVIPDined on 8/17/2014Mussels and Frites + Belgian Ales. You can't go wrong at Belga Cafe. Did you know that it is possible to "hit for the cycle" with single, dubbel, tripel and quadrupel selections from the extensive beer menu.Special Features:
- Wanted to love itKerinkVIPDined on 8/17/2014But didn't. It wasn't a comfortable space. I couldn't hear my dining companion...at brunch. The service was harried and maybe I just ordered wrong. My egg on the short ribs was like leather, my friend loved her green eggs. And, $8 for a little frites seems kinda bonkers. The crepes were good because, Nutella. I preferred B Too to belga.Special Features:
- Bucket of Bacon w/ a Side of WaffleYLeeCoyoteVIPDined on 8/17/2014Yes, they have a bucket of bacon, and yes, it is very good. After that, the waffles stuffed with crab is a sweety versiosn of crab cake, but the saffron sauce sets it off. The pulled pork waffles is also amazing. The staff is great, and my coffee mug never got below half way full.Special Features:
- Great Menu, Bad FoodTheGazzVIPDined on 8/16/2014Just look at the menu on OT.com. I sure could not resist. We were welcomed (actually not at all) by the coldest host you have ever seen. Our waited was a bit warmer, but one of those servers you need to ask three times for him to actually get it for you. My waffle with cinnomen apple compote was the size lf a large "wafflt fry", hearvy as lead, with four (yes -- you could count them) slices of the smallest apple I had ever seen with some raisings cooked down. I could not eat the waffle - it was so heavy and tought Hubby had some kind of eggs with basil and spinach an it lookied like a green of guacomole on an english muffin. Green eggs --no ham. Just really disappointed in this one.
- Above avg food, horrible serviceDcdiner928Dined on 8/16/2014We were seated in a tight corner so right between other tables out server couldn't get to the table...if he tried. He didn't tho instead he took 15 minutes to greet us and his treating was "What do you want?". We ordered two cocktails which at $11 a piece I would expect decent quality booze instead it was rail quality bourbon. I know $10 cocktails are the norm in dc now but at least most places make it worth it. We both ordered food which came out quickly and was played well. Literally the second the food was dropped the server did his "mandatory" how is it? Uhh I don't know I haven't gotten to bite into it..he never came back again until he dropped the check. When he dropped the check he didn't say thank you or anything. Never coming back
- Great place for brunch!CapnBen22Dined on 8/16/2014We had reservations and arrived a bit early. But no worries we were seated right away! The Bloody Mary's were excellent and the waffles fantastic! We'll go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favorite restaurantBaconLoverDined on 8/15/2014The food and service were amazing. The beer list was extensive and wonderful. New favorite restaurant on Capitol Hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently excellentpassionate4foodDined on 8/15/2014I return again and again for high quality fish and mussels prepared perfectly every time. I have yet to be disappointed by my experience here.Special Features:
- Great place to meet friendly folks!LeonardDined on 8/14/2014Met some really neat people and had a great time with my dog Delta who was with me and a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch time crunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2014We decided to try Belga Cafe during DC Restaurant Week. There was a prixe fixe menu that was very reasonably priced and sounded delicious. I chose the Sea Bass Roulade, Braised Ox Tail, and Passion Fruit Sorbet with tart. The food tasted great but, it was very slow in coming out. Typically, I don't slower service but, this was lunch and with only an hour break it's harder to forgive.
- Very good food, very noisy insideProud2BBelgianDined on 8/13/2014For Belgian tradition: to much noise inside, sometimes we could not understand each other! Very good kitchen, nice place to be!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EatsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/11/2014Great food and excellent service. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and servicehilldinerDined on 8/9/2014I visit often and Belga always delivers. The menu offers a blend of comfortable and unusual that provides a good choice for all. It also looks as good as it tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bucket-o-Bacon says it all!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Took my friend Debbie there for brunch 10 Aug 2014. The bucket-o-bacon says it all! Nice outdoor spot as well.Special Features:
- Liz90VIPDined on 8/9/2014Excellent brunch. We split a waffle with berries, scrambled eggs and bacon. The eggs were perfect. Even though the restaurant was crowded, we were not rushed at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014Beer was ok, food not! I wasn't proud being Belgian.Special Features:
- OutlierOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014I've been to Belga Cafe times in the past few years. However, this time was not so good. I had to prompt the waiter to take our orders, our orders were mixed up, and the food was not cooked very well. My friend and I didn't even finish our meals. Hopefully, this was a one-time occurrence and next time will be a return to the great food and service I've had in the past.
- Mostly BelgianBorisDined on 8/8/2014Ate from the 100% Belgian portion of the menu--very good and fitting for a chef who appeared on Top Chef (though not a finalist). A bit disappointed that the "frites" were 100% American, and not at all Belgian! Shame on chef Bart. Looking around at the other tables, seemed as if the majority of Patrons were eating the mussels. Hope these were not Americanized too.Special Features:
- MietDined on 8/7/2014Being Belgian, we had to try out Belga cafe. We absolutely loved the food and atmosphere. Really felt at home!! Great chef!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eduardo was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/6/2014We loved the potato soup, the tomato & goat cheese salad, and the mussels! Eduardo was the best!Special Features:
- Pretty good overallOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/6/2014Had a lunch date with my hubby. Meal was good, not great. Beer selection was fabulous. Service was eh. Our waiter seemed unenthusiastic to put it lightly. Although the manager did check on us so that's a hopeful sign that they recognize that service is important. Overall, I'd recommend going because of the great location and great beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels Diabolique!xxxxxxVIPDined on 8/4/2014I've tried them all and this is the best! I enjoyed the calamari and jalapeno especially.Special Features:
- Great Brunch Spot!SaharaDined on 8/3/2014Brunch was delicious! Loved the restaurant, but had to wait 20-25 minutes even with a reservation. Service was a bit slow as they were very crowded in a Sunday afternoon, but the food was well worth it!Special Features:
- Great Second VisitTexaninDCDined on 8/2/2014We dined at the Belga Café in 2012 at the suggestion of our daughter and son-in-law. We were not disappointed! We returned this past weekend for a family member's funeral and made a point to dine at the Belga Cafe again! The location on 8th SE is great and I wish we had time to stroll the street from Pennsylvania Ave. down to the Marine Barracks. Our waiter was wonderful and he was very helpful in decided what to order. The menu choices offered something for everyone. The only thing we couldn't get in the evening was Belgian waffles. My daughter had her heart set on them. There is no doubt we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Belgian CafeVirginiaRipDined on 8/1/2014I love a good pot of mussels and steak frites, and Belga did not disappoint. We were a party of 5 and everyone came away very happy with the meal. It's a bit more expensive than some of the other restaurants on Barracks Row, but if you're looking for a great meal, this is definitely a great spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you haven't been to Belga ....MtVernonDinerDined on 7/30/2014Belga Cafe, that is, you need to go. I had heard about this place for years and finally had the opportunity to check it out. Mussels are perfect, steak frites (steak and their fabulous fries)) is awesome. OK, so maybe the fries aren't that healthy but for a now and then indulgence - yummy! Will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Good service.TOP DINNERSpeedyDined on 7/29/2014Nice restaurant with Very good food and perfect Service , you feel very welcome in this restaurant... Feels like coming home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for business lunchOut2lunchDined on 7/29/2014Mussels and Belgian beer are a great combo, and loved the cheese appetizer and dame Blanche dessert.Special Features:
- Merits a Second ChanceGayConnoisseurVIPDined on 7/29/2014Had an early lunch with a friend. Waiter kept us waiting while he folded napkins by the bar. The manager came to take our order instead when my friend asked if there was anyone who could take our order. Overall, the food was quite good, albeit slightly overpriced for lunch. No wonder very few diners when we were there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels and fries.BelgaliciousVIPDined on 7/27/2014Order the mussels and fries. There are at least 10 different variations, and Belga Cafe does not disappoint. While I'm all for a good, salty/sweet brunch, one of my favorite meals is--you guessed it--mussels and fries. Also, I really enjoy the ambiance here. Our server was either French or Belgian, which gives it that nice authentic feel. The drinks were good. Overall, I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot, noisy, overchargedquormVIPDined on 7/26/2014In the past Belga has been a pleasant place for dinner. At our latest outing, the restaurant was very hot and humid (apparently Belga has no air conditioning). The noise level was very high. The waiter was curt and inattentive. And we were overcharged -- items appeared on the bill that were not ours.
- Very Accomodating and great food!FlanfedDined on 7/26/2014Planned to have an early dinner before a concert in DC...Traffic was gridlocked on all major routes so we called and they held our reservation open for an extra half hour on a Saturday nite! It was well worth it. My wife and her friend had the mussels and I had a steak - all cooked to perfection. We travel extensively to Europe and this was comparable in quality to some of the best we have had there, and the service was great; prompt, attentive but not overbearing.Special Features: