Belfry Inne and Bistro
6 Jarves St
Sandwich, MA 02563Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Belfry Inne and Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.belfryinn.com/
- Phone: 5088888550x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; (Tuesday dinner beginning 5/23)
Lunch and Brunch after April 1
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Devin Broo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We accommodate private dining up to 30 in the Sanctuary Room. The Tower room holds up to four (4). We hold private events up to 110 inside and 150 outside under a tent.
- Private Party Contact: Christopher Wilson 5088888550x
- Entertainment: Piano on Friday and Saturday
Sunday Live Entertainment Brunch
Friday Seasonal Patio Jazz
A word from Belfry Inne and Bistro
Set like a jewel in the heart of historic Sandwich Village, Cape Cod, the Belfry Inne & Bistro beams its warm welcome. The Belfry Bistro is set in a former church; an architectural masterpiece. Soaring ceilings,sumptuous decor, glorious stain-glass, and imaginative interior. Offering fine New American cuisine set in a one of a kind setting. The menu changes frequently and represents New England local seasonal offerings. Cape Cod casual attire is welcomed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Belfry Inne and Bistro - Best Restaurants in Sandwich Village ›
Belfry Inne and Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (53)romantic (43)fit for foodies (37)neighborhood gem (26)great for outdoor dining (24)notable wine list (18)good for groups (7)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (4)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Always a Treat!KatyDined on 6/11/2014We had a lovely romantic dinner at the Belfry Inn. I tried one of the new items on the menu and it was wonderful! The mushroom risotto is memorable, chunky with a variety of mushrooms, and their subtle flavors. The Beet salad was outstanding and the Haddock was memorable. We had wonderful martinis to start and enjoyed every minute of our visit, again. Can't wait to go back to the Belfry Inn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Inadequate ServiceLowCarberVIPDined on 6/7/2014We waited a 1/2 hour to get a drink and place our order. By time we ordered, they had run out of what I wanted. Then it took much too long for our food to come. The food was delicious when it did arrive. They definitely do not have enough staff either waiting on tables or in the kitchen. needs to be fixed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlowerchildDined on 6/6/2014Extremely limited menu with very small portions for the prices charged!Special Features:
- DinerVIPDined on 6/5/2014Visiting Sandwich village, you don't expect this. The Belfry Inn is a hidden jewel. Sophisticated food and a remarkable dining room. The food is not "cape cod" style fried food or basic steak and potatoes. It is what you would find in finer restaurants in Boston. Very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WayneOfRenoVIPDined on 6/5/2014Friendly service, less than satisfactory delivery.Special Features:
- portion sizeMandoVIPDined on 5/31/2014while we had a very nice evening the portions were definately on the small side, all 4 of oursI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great settingmtnMartyVIPDined on 5/30/2014The lobster roll was only OK. Outdoor setting was lovely and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative, excellent cuisine!BonnieRDined on 5/28/2014We enjoyed this meal from start to finish. The chef is not afraid to try innovative combinations and presentations with excellent results. Lovely interior, good waitstaff. Would gladly recommend and take friends and guests to Belfry. Two thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another fine mealtrussDined on 5/25/2014I continue to give the Bistro high marks. On this visit, we were not seated in the main dining room which is where you want to be, and I had not realized that the night we were there (a Sunday), there was no piano music and the piped in music was somewhat too loud. Caesar salads are usually just Caesar salads, but this was somewhat different and was wonderful.Special Features:
- The following 287 reviews are from the Belfry Inne and Bistro reviews archive.
- 2Little 2 LateChowderheadsDined on 5/24/2014We had an 8:30 reservation but the restaurant was obviously in turmoil. We weren't seated for a good 15 minutes. My boyfriend ordered chowder which took at least 40 minutes to seeve. It was $13 for an infintissmal amount of thin lackluster chowder. Entrees took forever and they too were very overpriced and spare. The salmon was barely warm an was accompanied by barely a tablesoon of wheatberries. So very disappointing!!Special Features:
- Dinner no.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/24/2014The menu selection is limited. Service extremely slow- took an hour to get appetizer.
- Surprising GemCapedinerDined on 5/24/2014We found this restaurant while exploring around our new home. We loved it so much that we actually went twice in one weekend, something we had not ever done before. The complimentary amuse bouche that is presented before dinner is always an amazing few bites. The unusual veggie choices, and creative preparations make this a very special dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/21/2014Lovely new discovery for us, and the hospitality and service were top-notch. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MackVIPDined on 5/17/2014Food offerings were good, but for such a grand atmosphere, would bave preferred a few more menu options in appitizer and entree categpries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningtriciaDined on 5/16/2014We haven't been to the Belfry for a while. We found it so much more warm and welcoming. Everything - service, piano music, food, ambiance - was wonderful. We plan to go back again soon. It definitely is wonderful to have this wonderful restaurant in our home town.Special Features:
- Three for ThreeTiamahtDined on 5/10/2014This was our third time at the Belfry and was as excellent as the first and second. It was a dual occasion, Mother's Day and a birthday, and the food was superb, the service wonderful, and it was altogether a fabulous dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- top notch experiencetrussDined on 5/2/2014Clearly one of the most romantic settings on Cape Cod; the live background piano music makes it more so; Service has been outstanding on our two visits. The food, generally, is very good and a bit eclectic; expensive, but worth it. Worth driving 35 minutes for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In a churchpopseedDined on 5/2/2014A decades old church remade into a finder food restaurant: stain glass stations of the cross mixed with crackling wood fire and a bartender who knows how to pour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just What the Cape Needs!table42Dined on 4/30/2014We love great food. The talent and tastes we discovered dining last evening with friends was exceptional. The layers of flavors and textures and presentation were, bar none, the best meal we've had anywhere on the Cape. Special, creative, and impressive; kudos to Chef Broo. It is so nice to find this quality of food and service locally. Beautiful atmosphere. Will most definitely return and recommend.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014My husband and I were appropriately greeted by staff. Our server was polite. The bottle of wine we ordered was delicious as was the bread. My salad was very oily and salty. I would not recommend it. The Ricotta/Toast Chips was good. We waited a very long time for our meal; in fact, the server and a manager came over to apologize. The chef sent out a plate of salty, oily peppers as his compliments (?) My cod was fresh, light and well cooked but again way too salty. The sweet taste of fresh fish was lost in a salt lick. My husband's salmon was nice; nothing fabulous but nice. Our Panna Cotta was fine; the server graciously gave us each a glass of sparkling wine to celebrate our anniversary (or take away the sting of the meal).
- Totally disorganizedSandwichpeopleDined on 4/26/2014Seated at 7pm; entrees arrived at 9pm. The one appetizer "soil" in the title was in edible. Truly awful. One dish was ordered and turned out that it "fell on the floor?", even tho we had been told there was one reserved for us, so had to order another entree. Many apologies and excuses from the manager for the very long wait time. The food when it arrived was mediocre. Despite all the negatives we were given free desserts to compensate. The entire meal should have been comped, or at a minimum the coffees afterward. Please note: we have eaten at the Bistro a number of times within the last year and liked it very much--great food, service, etc. The menu was better and the quality of food. The new chef that started recently should be replaced.Special Features:
- Stunning Restaurant. Truly Divine !ServicefoodieDined on 4/24/2014The Belfry Inn & Bistro is like no other restaurant we have ever been to. Located in an old 1900 church with 50 ft ceilings, stain glass windows, lots of oak, white table cloths and large fire place sets the mood. The piano is playing, soft and gentle music filtering through the restaurant. Well spaced table around the room allowing guests to see and be seen. The small well stocked bar is set to the back of the Dining room and is two steps up."Alter height" It is dressed in oak and offers 8 seats at the bar; Two high tops and two dining tables. There is a flat screen hidden from the dining room. The food and service is what one would expect from a Top Fine Dining restaurant. Most staff have been here for years; They know how to please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwfulLocalsDined on 4/20/2014Food was terrible as was service. Atmosphere depressing. Place almost empty even though a holiday and all other restaurants booked solid way ahead. Very disappointing, couldn't wait to leave.
- old fashioned and not so fineVirginieDined on 4/19/2014We were attracted by the idea of having dinner in an old church, but the decoration was in fact very classic. We were seated in a small adjacent room that had no charm. The waitress was nice and efficient but we waited an hour for our meal...that was not exceptional: not as sophisticated as it sounded in the menu and not so fine (cod too salty, carrots tasted like flour...). Overall we found the dinner "heavy".
- the best tenderloin of my lifefood4meDined on 4/19/2014I am not joking, it melted in my mouth! The staff was so nice and the food was exceptional! My husband and I had a lovely romantic dinner and we both agreed that if we had one more inch of room, we would have ordered the whole meal over again!Special Features:
- The BelfryOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/19/2014Great ambiance, good food. Loved the oyster sliders!Special Features:
- Wonderful Family Lunchasc0638VIPDined on 4/19/2014The Belfry Inne and Bistro went out of their way to accommodate a family event that was before they had opened for the Season. They were proactive in letting us know they were closed, but could provide us a lunch menu to make sure it would meet our needs. The menu had great choices. We all enjoyed our meals and delicious appetizers. The service was very attentive and friendly. We enjoyed the Belfry Inne and Bistro very much.Special Features:
- Elegant New EnglandBelfryDined on 4/17/2014A taste of New York within a quaint New England church.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful gemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/9/2014Imaginative food and an excellent wine list with good by the glass choices. Seemed like our server's first time. She was attentive but not very knowledgeable which led to some confusion about the menu. I have never before seen LI duck described as Pekin. However accurate that might be, it bears some explanation especially as there are other Asian dishes on the menu. It was excellent but not as expected! We were asked how the entree was after barely a mouthful (an increasing and irritating trend in restaurants) but our table was not visited by anyone else later in the meal. Comping our dessert in honor of my wife's birthday was a nice touch. Definitely worth a repeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MenuPinegirlDined on 4/5/2014With the hiring of the new chef, the menu is not attractive and limited. Small portions for higher prices.Special Features:
- DinnerMarandedDined on 4/3/2014We loved the atmosphere and the food was excellent. I had the salmon which was perfect. My husband had tenderloins which were cooked to perfection. The menu was limited but we found plenty of items which we both could have ordered. The service was great, not rushed, but attentive. It was a bit pricey, but totally worth it for a special night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place!TrishDined on 3/29/2014The food was great, but I especially liked the atmosphere. Great church 'touches' everywhere you looked and beautiful art! The piano player added a romantic touch also. I would absolutely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They "forgot" to prepare oneOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2014They "forgot" to prepare one person's dinner. When it finally came out it looked and tasted microwaved, which does not do much to make meat tasty
- A Birthday DinnersummerfoxDined on 3/8/2014First time here and we'll be back. All the food was tasty and cooked right. Menu had variety but all items seemed unique. A little pricey but good for special occasions.Special Features:
- A Beautiful Decordmb02339Dined on 3/1/2014The Belfry Inn is in an old church which still retains all it character and charm. We were celebrating the birth of my dates granddaughter with nice bottle of champagne. The wait staff was very attentive but never rushed us. Our classes were filled a couple of times before we even glanced at our menus. The food was first class and the creme brule' was outstanding. Definitely a nice place for a romantic date or a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at the BelfryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014I have never had a bad experience at the Belfry. The last visit was wonderful and did not give me the feeling of a crowded Saturday night which many restaurants do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!ScottVIPDined on 2/26/2014Upon arrival at Belfry Bistro, we were considering the weekly wine tasting. It might be fun with a group but we decided to go right to dinner. We were sat in front of the fire and on a cold winter night, it was delightful. Dinner started with house made ricotta and Hudson Valley foie gras. This was followed by pasta with crab as well as a lobster entree. Both were delicious. Finally, Creme Brûlée for dessert nicely ended the meal. Lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I know I will not be going again!NeverAgainDined on 2/16/2014My wife and I were there in July and were very pleased. The food was great, service was wonderful, and the ambiance pleasant. We recently returned and were extremely disappointed. The new menu is just atrocious, actually not much on it that I would prefer to eat, we almost left. Lesson learned; do not assume that the menu will not change. The portion size was extremely small, almost tapas like, and for all intensive purpose there was no vegetables served. The price was outrageous for the amount of food that you received. Essentially the value proposition did not exist. My salad was larger than my entrée – I went away hungry due to the portion size. I used to recommend, but no more, unless of course you want to overpay for tapas.
- This old church turned restaurantGMD47VIPDined on 2/8/2014This old church turned restaurant is unique inside with great use of the old space. We were fortunate to share a very beautifully decorated private room for 4. While the food was very good the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miss The Old ChowderLeeLeeVIPDined on 2/8/2014Between Christmas Eve 6 weeks ago and this past weekend, the chef changed at The Belfry. The food is just as good, but I preferred the chowder under the last chef. The room is a bit too loud and sometimes it's hard to hear your dining companions. That said, the rooms are gorgeous and the live piano playing is just lovely. WILL RETURN!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.