Belfry Inne and Bistro
6 Jarves St
Sandwich, MA 02563Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Belfry Inne and Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.belfryinn.com/
- Phone: 5088888550x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; (Tuesday dinner beginning 5/23)
Lunch and Brunch after April 1
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Devin Broo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We accommodate private dining up to 30 in the Sanctuary Room. The Tower room holds up to four (4). We hold private events up to 110 inside and 150 outside under a tent.
- Private Party Contact: Christopher Wilson 5088888550x
- Entertainment: Piano on Friday and Saturday
Sunday Live Entertainment Brunch
Friday Seasonal Patio Jazz
A word from Belfry Inne and Bistro
Set like a jewel in the heart of historic Sandwich Village, Cape Cod, the Belfry Inne & Bistro beams its warm welcome. The Belfry Bistro is set in a former church; an architectural masterpiece. Soaring ceilings,sumptuous decor, glorious stain-glass, and imaginative interior. Offering fine New American cuisine set in a one of a kind setting. The menu changes frequently and represents New England local seasonal offerings. Cape Cod casual attire is welcomed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Belfry Inne and Bistro - Best Restaurants in Sandwich Village ›
Belfry Inne and Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (51)romantic (43)fit for foodies (34)neighborhood gem (24)great for outdoor dining (21)notable wine list (16)great for brunch (4)good for groups (4)great for lunch (3)hot spot (3)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Belfry Inn& Bistro a DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/22/2014This was the first (and last) time mY Wife and I would visit this restaurant. The Dinner cost almost $200, that's with 1 glass of wine for me and none for my Wife! We arrived at 6:30PM and found the dining Room almost filled with "wine tasters" who are noisy and some are dressed like St. People. I believe the Belfry should have notified me that Their Restaurant would be filled with noisy, raucous, Wine Tasters! We were seated in a remote corner of the room that felt like we were being punished. We believed we were coming to a quiet, romantic restaurant.....not a VERY expensive Restaurant filled with a noisy Wine Tasting Crowd! I expected fine dining in a romantic setting with gourmet food.overall-disappoint!
- Super food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/19/2014The squash and apple bisque was to die for. I had the Statler Chicken off the special 'restaurant week' menu and it was super. My wife had the fish selection and was equally pleased. My wife and I wish we lived closer so we could go there more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jackVIPDined on 10/18/2014well prepared food,though somehat bland, with prompt service
- Friday Night DateWoodyMitchDined on 10/17/2014My wife and I stopped to enjoy a quiet dinner and restaurant week. The hostess at the door was extremely nice, our table & server were great, food was good. A really nice experience. The old church really makes a interesting experience and my wife's pumpkin risotto was one of her best.. and she would know. Been to Belfry before but this was just a drop in and enjoy. Recommend to everyone. I don't think it is a "kid spot" so I would never take a baby or a toddler, but enjoyable for friends and groups.Special Features:
- Poor serviceNefoodDined on 10/11/2014Pretentious establishment, potential to be excellent, lovely setting, pianist etc but let down by service. Food Ok but not outstanding. Difficult to justify title of 'fine dining'
- sieataVIPDined on 10/9/2014The Belfrey is one if our very favorite restaurants on the Cape. We have never Been disappointed. The atmosphere is most interesting considering it's history as a former Church and is really lovely inside. The tables are far enough apart that you don,t feel crowded and can carry on conversations. The food is delicious. My husband always orders the duck he claims it is the best and he has tried it all over in FL and MA....the best. I had the scollaps which were very tender and moist. There was a little too much sauce to my taste and to be honest the scollaps were so tender you didn't need any. We love this restaurant and will be back next season when we are on the Cape.Special Features:
- Does not disappoint.nancyceeVIPDined on 10/5/2014We have been to the Belfry Bistro on a few occasions. It is a bit of a drive for us, so we save it for special occasions. We brought out of town guests this past weekend, and it was lovely from start to finish. Our reservation at 8 on a Sunday night was a little late in the evening for an October night, and so we and one other party were the only remaining people after a short time, but we never felt rushed. The four of us had: Bouillabaisse, Lamb Shank, a Pork Chop, and the filet and we all enjoyed every part of it. Appetizers were the special shrimp/corn chowder (delicious), shrimp cocktail and Caesar salad. The person who ordered the Caesar salad was not crazy about it, but everything else was great. Good quality & service, pretty spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tops in dining in any respect.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Having dined at the Bistro many time in the past and since it's inception, I feel it's the ultimate in dining for anyone wishing to dine in an elegant and gracious atmosphere. The Innkeeper , Chris, makes it a point to greet his guests and make them feel welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing...we may not returnhappy2BhereVIPDined on 9/24/2014When we are vacation at the Cape in September, dinner at the Belfry has been a habit for the last 3 years. Our evening was not what we remembered the past 2 years. The portions seemed smaller perhaps to accommodate the prices. Our server seemed inexperienced and inattentive. He would wander away and not return for extended periods. He clearly was not knowledgeable as to the wine selections. We ordered our bottle, he replied "excellent", then he vanished only to return after 15 minutes or so to tell us they did not have that wine. The selections were "minimal" and we were not told about any "specials". Perhaps our server forgot to mention them. The ambiance/grounds are stunning. If it had been warmer, we may have dined on the patio.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014One of the best places on the Cape. Food is excellent and service is what you expect and beyond.Special Features:
- What happened??disappointedVIPDined on 9/19/2014Belfrey Inn is a lovely building and the restaurant is very attractive. Unfortunately, the quality of the food has deteriorated signficantly. We have had a number of dinners there over the last few years. I am not sure what happened, but the food just isn't worth bothering with. It is boring, not particularly well prepared and far too expensive for what you get. I think we just had our last meal there. There are far better restaurants within a relatively short drive. We would love to have a great restaurant in Sandwich....hopefully they can make the necessary changes. There is a reason that you can almost always get a table.
- Cape PerfectionLeeLeeVIPDined on 9/19/2014The food, decor, service and live piano music make The Belfry a perfect Cape special occasion dining experience.Special Features:
- Wanted to like it (2nd try)JoeCDined on 9/17/2014This is our second time there, never again. Very rushed service: dinner brought to table before salad completed, entire meal served in less than 20 minutes. Risotto was swimming in green oil, unappetizing and disgusting. sent back and removed from tab. Manager was in restaurant, didn't bother to speak to us. Wrong ice cream on my dessert, gelatinous "Bavarian cream" on my wife's -- but by that time, just wanted to leave. I guess the staff did too, as all the waiters and kitchen staff were just milling around (at 8:15) waiting for us to finish. More than $100 down the drain for an atrocious experience. Will write more complete critique on Trip Advisor.
- Nice dinnerOrganista65Dined on 9/12/2014Overall the meal was very good.our only complaint that for the price the pour of wine was very small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningPoqualVIPDined on 9/5/2014Wonderful food,terrific service and delightful piano music in a creative setting!Special Features:
- Love itMikedVIPDined on 9/5/2014This continues to be one of our favorites places to dine while visiting Cape Cod. The food is fresh and well prepared, the staff is very attentive and friendly and the setting is great. A must visit restaurant on the Cape!Special Features:
- BelfrySandwichOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/5/2014This use to be a must a few times a year for special occasions, I still love the ambience and the piano player. But I must say since the Chef change things seem a bit different. They have cut back on some things and while the food was good, it was plain and I was surprised to see that two dishes (beef tenderloin and baked cod) had the exact same sides, fish and beef, really? Not only were the mashed potatos bland, the carrots almost raw and the asparagus pretty boring. I was a bit disappointed, especially in the mussels appetizer. The mussels were either overcooked or just the smallest I have ever seen. The shells were large but inside the mussels appeared shriveled up to nothing. I will go back but will stick to the basics.Special Features:
- Always excellenttonirDined on 8/30/2014This was our second time at this lovely restaurant. Food is so fresh, the quality of the ingredients is evident. Very accomodating to my gluten-free requests. One of the nicest restaurants on the Cape.Special Features:
- Holy Cow - that was good!ChuckVIPDined on 8/29/2014The renovated church is a terrific venue for fine cuisine. The food was excellent, and the pianist playing non-stop was very relaxing as well. A bit on the pricey side, but we had a great time non-the-less. Be sure to ask to be seated in the open area seating to get the full effect of the atmosphere, unless a more quiet and subdued evening is your preference.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!makingreservationsDined on 8/22/2014Every summer my husband and I make a trip to Sandwich, MA. and dine at the Belfry. It was once a church and has been recreated into a beautiful dining area. The menu is well thought out and creative. The wait staff is personable and add to the experience. I would never miss an opportunity to dine there.Special Features:
- Fantastic FindOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/21/2014We were celebrating a wedding anniversary. The owner treated us to a couple of glasses of Prosecco. We had a hard time choosing what to have for dinner as there were quite a few wonderful choices. The waitstaff was friendly and helpful. The dinner was fantastic. Will be going there again to try something else on the menu! We've already recommended the Belfry Inne & Bistro to a few of our neighbors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wouldn't rush backToughtopleaseVIPDined on 8/16/2014We had reservation for 4 and when we got there they were going to seat us in a small room, off the main room, with one other table-a large party of around 20 people. This was unacceptable to us. The manager was not especially helpful, telling us there were no other tables available, until we told him we would sit at two high-top tables in the bar area, and then he was nice to us. Menu is somewhat limited and uninspired. Food was good but not memorable for the price.Special Features:
- Liz2Dined on 8/16/2014Our all time favorite restaurant - always look forward to coming to Sandwich so that we can dine at the Belfry.Special Features:
- Recookrich60Dined on 8/13/2014Wife's steak was well overdone. It was replaced. It took some time to cook another. Put a damper on the experience.Special Features:
- The Belfry is definitely worth it!FrequentVisitorVIPDined on 8/10/2014The Belfry Inn has been a favorite romantic spot for celebrating our anniversary and New Year's Eve for many years! And this visit did not disappoint! We had an excellent, experienced waitress who recognized our desire to spend some quiet time talking and sipping wine before we ate. She gave us attention and space without interfering with our anniversary celebration. The wine list affords plenty of choices and our chardonnay was superb. The food is always exceptional here and the tenderloin steaks continued to uphold that reputation. The dining room was full and, yet, we were able to chat quietly and enjoy our time together. A wonderful place - be sure to try it!Special Features:
- Beautiful spaceDreamshopperDined on 8/10/2014In a church converted to a restaurant, this space is beautiful: stained glass, warm wood, beautiful fireplace. The inside is a large open space, and the outside is a deck and lovely courtyard. I give the ambiance top grades. I wish the food were as good, but it's not. The menu is limited, with very few salads. The selections sound wonderful, but the actual taste and prep is not. The food is mediocre at best, in addition to which it is very expensive. All four of us at the table agree on this, as do other friends who've dined with me there. I wish I could continue to go there because it's so beautiful. But it's just not worth the money.Special Features:
- OkBatmanDined on 8/7/2014The service was very nice. But the food was sub par. My mushroom risotto was lukewarm, bland and only had six little mushroom pieces. My husband's lamb chop was rare in places. He ordered medium. The meal was so disappointing that we didn't even consider dessert.
- deliciousJodyDined on 8/3/2014Really delicious. Unusual to find such good food these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lack of pro-active staff responsedriftwoodDined on 7/31/2014We have dined at this restaurant for years and expect excellence. However, on a very quiet weekday summer evening our expectations were not met. We were pestered by dozens of fruit flies. We let the waitress know and at our request she removed the lemons from the table. We killed more with our hands, napkins, etc. One was in my daughter's water, which the waitress replaced. We asked about a large flower arrangement near our table. Our waitress did not attempt to move the flowers. We asked for our table to be moved. However, we were harassed again. One flew in my daughter's wine, which the waitress also replaced. The pacing of our dinner was also rushed and one entree was lukewarm with mushy salsa. No manager apology offered.
- Lovely summer's eveningHealthspeakerVIPDined on 7/31/2014We took a business associate to dinner here. The setting was stunning on a beautiful summer evening, the food excellent. The service was a bit slow but still attentive. We will be back to this special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedUK2USDined on 7/30/2014We were seated in a corner where we could not see anyone and therefore I think got a bit missed by the server. the food was Ok but overpriced and the setting was a bit too old fashioned for our liking.
- We love the BelfryKatyDined on 7/16/2014We met friends for dinner at the Belfry on Wednesday. The weather was rainy so the Wednesday night wine tasting was in the dining room. It was fun to hear about the wines being offered while we sipped on our own cocktails. Once again, the offerings were very interesting and everyone was very happy with their choices. We had a lovely evening, and can't wait for our next visit.Special Features:
- Mixed resultsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/16/2014Looking for a special night w two close friends we were instead treated to a disaster. The appetizers were ordinary by most standards. One meal was thoroughly undercooked which was sent back. Second time arrived in same condition. So one member of our party sat there and watched the rest eat. Third time was the charm, but the rest of us were ready for dessert. They tried to make it up w free dessert, but way too late. Special din re was ruined. You can't charge these prices and be incompetent. There are other choices on the cape
- A 5 star hidden in plain sight!!Assassin77Dined on 7/13/2014This trip to the Cape was my wife and I third time. All three visits to Sandwich, MA were very calm and truly relaxing. The Belfry is one beautiful place to take the one love you have for an romantic dining experience. Chris, the owner, was very friendly. He cared how our experience was each time we went. Our waitress was very knowledgable with the different wines and spirits. She knew what paired with what for the meal. Each time we went to the Belfry my wife and I celebrated our anniversary. Last night's dinner was our 18th and still going strong. The food was very delicious. Presentation was phenomenal, and the service was extremely friendly. Chris has done some very wonderful things in the Sandwich community. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodETPhillipsVIPDined on 7/12/2014We love this restaurant. The food and wine are wonderful. Lovely wait and host staff. We have been a number of times this summer and we feel like they know is. This is a lovely way to spend a Saturday evening and there is live piano playing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Cape Cod gemRichardDined on 7/12/2014Having visited the Cape for over 50 years, one perpetually disappointing fact is the absence of quality eateries with nice atmosphere, good food, and acceptable prices. The Belfry Bistro never disappoints. Also the tables are far enough apart that you can actually carry on a conversation. Bravo!Special Features:
- Great Dinner in SandwichbriozVIPDined on 7/11/2014We enjoyed a wonderful dinner here recently, with attentive service and fabulous food! My mother and I both got the cold cucumber soup, which was similar to gazpacho. It had yellow tomato in it, which gave it a beautiful yellow-gold color, and it was chunky and refreshing. We both had the lobster roll, which was also quite good. The only reason I didn't give this restaurant 5 stars was because the lobster mixture on the brioche roll had celery in it, which I detest. Just my opinion, but I like lobster to stand on its own merits, without lots of fillers like mayonnaise, celery, etc. Each of us had a dessert--me, the Belfry pillow and Mom had the cheesecake. Both quite good, although not outstanding. Overall, an excellent dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/9/2014Almost everything was perfect. The filet mignon was big and super moist and tender. Cod was like butter with a crisp coating. Service was fast and timely. Only complaint was lack of meat in the mussels app the sause was excellent thoughSpecial Features:
- Anniversary DinnerBobandNancyDined on 7/6/2014We had an early dinner on our anniversary which allowed us to have a relaxing drink at the bar then a wonderful dinner by the piano. The music, ambiance and food was great. The setting in an old Catholic Church memorable and Marty our waitress made us feel right at home. A great Anniversary Experience!Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningpolabear21Dined on 6/28/2014We had dinner at the Belfry Bistro recently and it was wonderful. The service was excellent, the food great and they have an excellent wine list Thanks for making our 39 anniversary special !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.