532 S. Western Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90020Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.beerbellyla.com/
- Phone: 2133872337x
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm
Sunday - Tuesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Wednesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Wes Lieberher
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Late Night
A word from Beer Belly
Beer Belly is a craft beer bar that serves beer-inspired comfort food along with a selection of local and fresh craft beer on-tap.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Beer Belly - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Beer Belly reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (50)hot spot (37)neighborhood gem (32)vibrant bar scene (32)good for groups (28)late-night find (22)great for outdoor dining (21)great for lunch (19)special occasion (9)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (6)notable wine list (3)romantic (1)Show More
- Beer belly in my bellyAnndrew626Dined on 8/23/2014Good food and good beer. A bit noisy but that is to be expected from a gastropub. Other places to go if you want something quieter. Restaurant can be hard to spot while driving so drive slow. It's next to Iota bakery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room for improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014We were very excited to go experience the food and brews at this joint. First off, make a reservation well in advance or be prepared to wait. The place is small, but there is an outdoor patio area out front where you can have cocktails while you wait, if you can find a spot. The death by duck fries were nothing less than decadent! A must try if you go here, but plan to share, they're VERY rich. We had crawfish macaroni and the duck French dip. Both were pretty disappointing to say the least. Crawfish were in short numbers in the Mac, and hard to discern flavor-wise under the overwhelming seasoning of celery (or sage?). Duck in the French dip was way overdone and overall just kind of bland and boring. Deep-fried pop tarts = awesome!Special Features:
- creative diningbhdinerVIPDined on 8/17/2014Intersting menu, duck fries are amazing, so were Brussels Sprouts. Servers should be able to answer questions about the very limited wine list. Great for asking the table next to you what they are having when you have order envy!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/17/2014Absolutely loved Beer Belly. It's a total local dive restaurant. The food is yummy, the service is prompt and everyone is friendly. It's perfect for a bite to eat on a budget and/or in a fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- excellentAmbieDined on 8/17/2014The food was excellent. I loved it. It was a nice touch to treat my hubby to a birthday dessert. Atmosphere was loudish at lunch time. The only reason we went for lunch and not dinner was because we had our two little ones. I woudl highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastySocaldanrodDined on 8/15/2014My girlfriend and I had the shirt ribs and the chicken strips and they both were really good. Oh yeah and the Duck Fries! The aioli dipping sauce's are are must. Ask to try all of them specially the curry aioli!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodGOODFOODDined on 8/7/2014The pork belly chips were good and the grilled cheez was good as well. The short ribs were a little disappointing but I may have been expecting too much, it was still pretty good. Will try this place out again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond Expectations!akiakiDined on 8/7/2014I have to admit, I didn't know about Beer Belly until I saw it on DDD. But boy am I glad I was paying attention to the TV! This place is an institution. We ordered about 10 things including Death by Duck, Curried Chicken, Pork Belly Chips, Duck French Dip, Deep Fried Twinkies and Oreos...phew!! The attention to each plate that Chef Wes takes is incredible as the food was spot on. I cannot say enough good things about Beer Belly- you have to experience it for yourself. GO TODAY!! Oh, and make sure you make a reservation as seating is limited...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best hidden gem.mperryLADined on 8/5/2014My boyfriend and I discovered Beer Belly at Coachella 2014, and we had to go to the restaurant to try more of their food. Turns out, it is not only as delicious as we remembered, but the servers are THE nicest and coolest people ever! The entire experience is fantastic, and the food is just ridiculously good. We've had the buttermilk fried chicken, curry fried chicken, garlic and mozzarella mac and cheese, and grilled cheese sandwich, and they have all been stellar. The best part, though? Dessert. Deep fried Oreos, deep fried oatmeal cream pie, and deep fried poptarts: all incredible. GO HERE. You will not be sorry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and good variety of beerluckymamaDined on 8/3/2014This was my first time at Beer Belly. My son goes there a lot, and it appears to be very popular with the young adults. We enjoyed our beer, appetizers and dinner - everything was fabulous! The fig salad was scrumptious. Death by Duck was heaven. Pork belly was done nice and crisp, and the accompanying sauce went well with it. We ordered the duck french dip, grilled cheese with egg, and curry fried chicken - we tried each other's food, and greed that everything was wonderful. We enjoyed trying all the unusual (to us) and decadent foods, and it was fun choosing from the playful names of the beers on draft. We will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrating a 21st birthdayPRJMGRDined on 8/2/2014My family and I were out celebrating my daughters 21 at birthday. As such I thought it was a perfect spot that was hip for her and served good quality food in a relaxing atmosphere. She ordered one of the sweeter bottled beers (Zombie) and was pleasantly surprised. Our staff was very accommodating and helpful. I enjoyed the tapas like atmosphere where we were able to sample all entrees. I had the pork belly, death by duck, surf and turf and mac daddy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Short Rib Puff Pastry was excellentHnLAVIPDined on 7/31/2014The short rib was really great, I thought the duck fat fries were ok, no different than other fries, maybe more greasy in a bad way. The crawfish mac and cheese was also really good. One of the cheesiest ever. Great selection of beers. The two I had on tap, IPA's could have been colder. The waiter was very nice, attentive and she gave great advice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I crave this place!MikeDined on 7/31/2014This was my second time here. After the first, I had recommended it to everyone, including two chefs that are very well known at high end venues. The grilled cheese and fried chicken are simply the best ever. I will give my arteries a few weeks off, then be back! Solid and unique beer selections round out the experience. Service was great. Took a work group of 6 and our server (Dana) could not have been better with suggestions and a great table side manner. A must go!Special Features:
- Bring a whelchairChefChutneyDined on 7/30/2014The food is the main draw. It is scrumptiously rich and decadent. Bring a wheelchair or stretcher, as you won't be walking out on your own. The grilled cheese trumps the mac n cheese and the devils stick are barely so-so. The chicken wings are moist and well done, the crab cake dip interesting and the duck fat fries are divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected betterAndrewDined on 7/26/2014We went here based on a tv show I saw that raved about the duck here. Tried most of what was on the menu and literally all of our food was meh at best."Death by Duck" fries were not as advertised due to them being out of part of it and they did not mention it at all. When we asked about it our waitress was surprised we cared and didn't just dig in. $9 fries missing the portion that sets them apart? And I noticed? 3/10. Normal fries with "duck" on them (their duck tastes like turkey due to duck sourcing IMO)Duck french dip also was bland, chewy and overall pretty bad, coming from someone who LOVES duck. 3/10 again. Would not recommend this place lest for the beer choices. Otherwise go in with low expectations and you may have a better time.Special Features:
- Deep fried oreos...coffeefoodwineDined on 7/26/2014I'll be back for the deep fried oreos alone! Saw the spot on Diners/Drive/Ins/Dives and had to go. I had the duck french dip which was excellent but next time I'll be trying the catfish. The deep fried oreos alone will bring me back though. And the great beer selection. The only issue was the service. The girl was great but forgot that we ordered an appetizer. I asked her as food started coming and she said yep, it's on its way but the food comes out as soon as it is ready. Finally, we all had our meals and still no appetizer. She came back up and apologized saying she'd thought she'd entered it but turns out she hadn't so it would be out shortly. Finally came, it was good, but at that point she should've just asked if we still wanted it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StaciePDined on 7/25/2014Beer Belly was fun and different. Fantastic grilled cheese and top notch service. We had a big party, who ordered a wide variety of dishes. Everything was great! Will definitely return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beer Belly from Food NetworkYumyumDined on 7/15/2014The Food was Outstanding! The Service was Great and my Friend Loved the Beer!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, beer is...FoodieGDined on 7/8/2014The food is amazing! I would go there everyday if I lived nearby. Why I said the beer is ok, is due to the temperature. On three occasions now, the draft beer hasn't been as cold as it was originally. I've been given different reasons why that is, but bottom line is that beer that's not as cold as it should be, diminishes in taste and overall quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodPubs1Dined on 7/7/2014The death by duck fries and the duck french dip are to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything's tastyiLikeEverythingDined on 7/3/2014I've now been there for four different occasions: my birthday celebration, two casual dinners with friends, and a first date. During each experience, I found the service to be great. On my last visit, we didn't eat, only ordered drinks. We sat on the back patio. I should mention though, that when I passed through the restaurant to use the bathroom, it became tempting to order food because of how amazing other customers' meals smelled. Had it not been a first date, I probably would have suggested that we order food. My friends and I felt compelled to order beer, apps, and dessert when we visited beer belly for a casual dinner, considering everything's very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Duck!!!BeerAndFoodDined on 6/29/2014Death by duck is amazing!!! Went with a group of 5 and we ordered a bunch of things for the table. All were delicious! Grilled cheese, wings, Mac & cheese. Our waitress was super nice, great service and Beer!!!Special Features:
- Kinda DisappointingZilchieDined on 6/29/2014Was excited to try the french dip duck sandwich after it featured on DDD, but the sandwich was lacklustre - the few slices of duck inside were good, but the dip, the bread & the small amount of aioli in the sandwich were disappointing. We also ordered the duck fat fries with bits of duck meat & crackling - fries were great (crisp, tasty & good-salty) but there was so little duck & crackling that I don't know why they even bothered. Brussel sprouts were a little overcooked, & the pancetta fat needed more rendering. Braised short rib on cheese puff pastry was ok, & the beers were the best thing. Mebbe we caught them on a bad day.Special Features:
- Great PlaceSavopDined on 6/28/2014If you love Beer and Wine with a guilty pleasure of food to follow then this is the place for youSpecial Features:
- Great ExperienceawesomesauceDined on 6/15/2014I want to thank all the staff for the great service, food and time we had celebrating Father's Day. We will be back soon!! LONG LIVE THE DUCK!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMMY!!!!!KokoPopDined on 6/13/2014By far the best grilled cheese sandwich I have ever eaten and the mac 'n' cheese mos def with make you wanna slap your momma. My boyfriend and I will definitely be returning to unleash our inner fat kids again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishJaneSmithDined on 6/6/2014My date and I tried the following: - Pork Belly Chips (so yummy) - Death by Duck (duck confit on fries? You can't go wrong) - Brussels (I'm jealous I can't make these at home) - Buttermilk Fried Chicken (delish serving of tender meat) - Jidori Hot Wings (Buffalo Blue - spicy and Honey Dijon & Cilantro - not spicy) - Drinks 2 Hefeweizens, a cider, and ginger beer (mmmmmm ginger beer) Each dish was thoughtfully created. The accompanied sauces balanced the sweet, spice, kick, etc. perfectly. Their aiolis are LIFE! I could eat them on everything in my near future & be a happy girl. Ambiance was hip & casual. Def looking forward to making another reservation soon (after several weeks of working out the calories consumed during this meal)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousStephanieDined on 6/4/2014Great beer list and delicious menu items all at really decent prices. They have a great happy hour too. Staff is incredibly friendly and welcoming. Hip without the hipster vibe.Special Features:
- neat spotadasawVIPDined on 5/28/2014Small inside space with some outdoor seating. Set back from the road so can be a little tough to spot. We walked so not sure about how easy parking might be. Really nice, reasonable draft list which is focused entirely on California microbreweries. Was able to try a few beers that I can't get in AZ. Food was outstanding. Definitely will go back if in the neighborhood again.Special Features:
- GastropubSteveVIPDined on 5/28/2014Beer Belly is good for a stop prior to a show at The Wiltern. It is busy and noisy, and the tables are very close together. The few menu standouts, like fried chicken, catfish, and grilled cheese are good. Most other items are fair to good. The beer selection is very good, the servers are friendly, but busy, and they've always seated us promptly with our OpenTable reservation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- XhotwingsXTwatterrorizorDined on 5/26/2014Best wings i have ever had. 29 33 36 39 42 45 48 51Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice place for group hangoutOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/25/2014nice place to hang out have a few beers and chat, tho the music is bit loud, not a huge problemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beer selection, creative foodJDinAZDined on 5/24/2014While visiting LA we came across the name of this restaurant first and had to check it out. The beer selection is very good and the food was outstanding. The only thing diners should aware of is the food comes out as soon as it is finished in the kitchen. The chef does not time the dishes to come out together if your dining with a group. So you not be able to actually eat your meal together. A little strange, but the food is worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beer, food, and fun!TJFlyBoyVIPDined on 5/21/2014We saw Beer Belly on a popular food show and we're not disappointed when we tried it for ourselves. We made reservations for dinner before a show at the nearby Wilteen Theater. Reservations are a must! Most people were waiting over 90 minutes for tables in this tiny space. However, there is a lively bar scene inside and out to pass the time, and the beer list (draft or bottle) is great. The menu is small, but packed with unique tastes. We went all duck on this visit, but we'll be back to tackle the bacon dishes next time. Our server was friendly and fun. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/21/2014The food and was outstanding and the service was just as great!! Walking distance from the Wiltern which makes for a great place for dinner & drinks before or after a show!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Duck fat, what more is there to saySeekerofGoodEatsDined on 5/10/2014Great! Don't miss Death by Duck. Perfectly cooked fresh ingredients, friendly space and a food loving crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome.DBLCVIPDined on 5/10/2014Was visiting from Chicago and sought this place out after seeing their food and taplist. Was not disappointed. The beers were awesome and the food was outstanding. Ryan was a great server also. Those deep fried Oreos are to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 142 reviews are from the Beer Belly reviews archive.
- Fantastic Food and Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014We drove from San Jose to LA for an event last weekend, and this was our first (and much anticipated) chance to eat at Beer Belly. We are thinking it would be worth the 10 hour drive just to go back to Beer Belly again. Everything we had was excellent, and the staff was friendly and attentive. The brussel sprouts were the best we have ever had, hands down. Can't say enough about the duck fat fries either. Go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hits all the right spotsRonnybiggsDined on 4/30/2014My only fault is their draft beer list is ALL IPA. Seriously, this isn't Portland. Some warm weather brews would be nice. Aside from that, the food is great, though on the mild side, the waitstaff knows how to both serve and leave you alone, and you can carry a conversation in a vibrant bar scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OnVacationDined on 4/26/2014Saw this on DDD and had to give it a try. It's a perfect comfort food gone upscale hit. Great beer selection as well. Glad I made a res for 3:30 Saturday afternoon. The place was hopping. Great service as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.