Beecher’s – The Cellar
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Beecher’s – The Cellar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.beechershandmadecheese.com/Locations/NewYork.aspx
- Phone: 2124663340x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday Noon - 3pm
Dinner: 7 days 5:00pm
Happy Hour: 3pm - 7pm (M-F) or 5pm - 7pm (weekends)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Wine Bar, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kurt Dammeier
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Beecher’s – The Cellar
Just downstairs from our cheesemaking kitchen, guests can enjoy a cocktail or glass of wine alongside a selection of sharable plates. The menu features embellished mac and cheese, fresh salads, braised meats, soups, and artisan cheeses and charcuterie. The Cellar is 21 and up.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Beecher’s – The Cellar reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (10)neighborhood gem (9)good for groups (7)romantic (5)great for lunch (5)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (3)special occasion (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- LOVE THIS PLACEOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2014This is one of my favorite NYC spots. Love cheese. Love bread. Love wine.Special Features:
- Mac n Cheese!FlyinpanfanDined on 9/6/2014The "worlds best" is actually in the running! It was so delicious! Also the mushroom tart was to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So darn goodLICGuestVIPDined on 7/21/2014The cheese plate is a must! After that be sure to do the mushroom tart. One of the best meals I've had in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Casual DiningDeaZDined on 6/29/2014Very friendly service, excellent dishes for casual dining. I liked the décor and atmosphere. Both times I've dined here, we ordered a bunch of dishes and shared. Mac & Cheese is divine, but all the other dished were terrific also.Special Features:
- Great food, Not so Great ServiceflatironeaterVIPDined on 5/23/2014Let me start by saying that I am a huge fan of Beecher's - I love the cheese and the restaurant in the basement made me very excited. For good reason, as every time I have been there the food, particularly the mac and cheese (no surprise there) is delicious. The only problem with the restaurant is that there is normally only one bartender and the waiter, but the restaurant has to have about 20 tables, some scattered and some behind pillars...meaning that a waiter has to actually go to the table to see if the diners need anything and can't just spot things from across the restaurant. Unfortunately, there has been multiple times I have sat for 20 minutes before being served or waiting for a drink. If you're willing to wait, its a great place!Special Features:
- PATEEATSVIPDined on 5/21/2014some of the worst tunafish I have ever tasted. More like Tabby Treat.
- The following 32 reviews are from the Beecher’s – The Cellar reviews archive.
- Great happy hour deals!shanagementVIPDined on 5/6/2014Love the happy hour deals at Beecher's $5 wine and also specials on cheese and Mac and cheese. Generous portions on the salads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheese galore!ketaVIPDined on 5/5/2014Although I've been in Beecher's quite a few times, this is the first time I've had lunch there. I'm SO glad we did! It was wonderful! My husband had the 3 cheese plate which was great (we shared our dishes) and I got the 'world's best' macaroni & cheese. YUM YUM!!! I don't know if it was the 'world's best' but it was way up there! I absolutely loved it! Our waiter was very friendly also so it made for a great lunch. I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- different and delicious!JoannelizVIPDined on 4/28/2014Fresh good with fabulous cheese themed food.Mac n cheese and kale salad are must trys.wine is pricey but high quality.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceReturnCustomerVIPDined on 4/12/2014We were a big group and a handful, and the waiter was kind, patient, and made us feel welcome. No impatience at our indecision (it's a great menu with lots of choices) or eye rolls about splitting the check. I'll make this my go-to for a group as long as there are reservations.Special Features:
- Lunch Meeting....EBB3Dined on 4/3/2014I had to host a lunch meeting for 5 of us and it was great. The restaurant was super helpful and they were very attentive without being a distraction to our meeting. The food was excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great decor, great cocktailschopsDined on 4/2/2014Great decor, great cocktails (our server talked me into The Big Stick, which was amazing!). Mac and cheese is also mention worthySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy place with great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/26/2014My coworkers took me to launch for the last day of my tenure with out company. We had such a great time and the food was delicious. We all will be back... very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience, top-to-bottom!GM3131Dined on 3/14/2014Incredible place to dine. Recently planned a birthday gathering of 7-8 people and the bar and restaurant areas were both spacious enough to accommodate everybody in the group. Don't be fooled by the cafe and cheese store upstairs...once you go down the steps, a great venue for an evening dining experience awaits you. Had a drink at the bar before being seated at our table. Staff was very helpful and friendly, and they even worked with me when I dropped off a birthday cake earlier in the day to have it brought out after our main course was finished. They added candles and everything. Prices were very fair for what we got, and the drink tab was reasonable too, especially given the neighborhood. I can't recommend The Cellar enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for lunchLuv2lunchDined on 3/6/2014The food and atmospher is the best great easy place for lunch The only thing that could be improved is the beer list it's really poor the beer I had was undrinkable Stick to wine As simple as it is - the Mac and cheese is the worlds bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kale salad was crisp and tasty,harrysaberDined on 2/28/2014Kale salad was crisp and tasty, prepared with a citrus dressing that played well against the greens. Macaroni and cheese, curried with cauliflower was heavenly, rich cheesiness counterpointed by slightly spicy curry. Gnocchi were nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2014Amazing food - we shared the mac n' cheese, meatballs, and kale salad. The kale salad was seriously the best salad I've ever had, with kale, roasted brussel sprouts, roasted mushrooms, almonds, shredded flagship cheese, with a very light dressing. Still dreaming about it. Go now!Special Features:
- Mac & Cheese!!JenRDined on 1/18/2014It's worth going there for the mac & cheese alone. Went with a group and all we got was a big cheese plate & mac & cheese. After having dessert one of the boys in the party also got an extra mac & cheese to go but the kitchen had already closed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mac and Cheese!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2013We went to Beecher's with a group of friends and we all decided to try the different kinds of mac and cheese! Delicious! But we had to go for a walk after dinner to avoid a food coma - so rich - in a good way! Great drinks and atmosphere, we'll definitely be back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mmmm...NYEatsVIPDined on 3/29/2013Don't expect a varied menu but what they have is mucho bueno. It's also a really cool place; you won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- The mac and cheese here isOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2013The mac and cheese here is rich and satisfying, and the salads are on point as well! I had a large group and while everbody loved the food, the loud noise level makes it hard to talk to everyone at a big table. Perfect place to enjoy their happy hour with a smaller group. Try mac n cheese, kale salad, and either wine/cocktail to finish it off.Special Features:
- Girls night outOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2013The decor was fun and inviting. Our server was knowledgable. The cheese selection was great. The best was the accompaniments for the cheeses. We found the pasta overcooked. Fun place for groups except the noise level was crazy. We were shouting to each other to hear.Special Features:
- This is a favorite of mineOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/21/2012This is a favorite of mine in the Flatiron district. I discovered it when it was brand new and not so busy. It was a great basement hideaway. Then the NY Times reviewed it and it's impossible to get in! They have a small curated menu and wine list (based on cheese...) but everything is tasty and the curried mac and cheese is TDF. The service has always been friendly and informative. You have to look for this restaurant if you are on the street: it's in the basement of a cheese shop. BTW: the cheese is awesome.Special Features:
- Beecher's is a favourite ofOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2012Beecher's is a favourite of ours, with great food, interesting cocktails and an overall atmosphere that ties it all together. If you don't want cheese, don't bother though. Fabulous.Special Features:
- Food was really not great,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/30/2012Food was really not great, in some cases not as described on the menu. Cheese portions were mini. Really, we felt like we had to ration. Drinks were weak, bad tasting in general. Deafeningly loud. Really, it was over the top. We have been here before and were really looking forward to this visit with a big group of friends, but I don't think we'll be back with all of the other choices out there.
- Mac and cheese is amazing,AnonymousDined on 10/2/2012Mac and cheese is amazing, charcuterie and cheeses were fabulous. Main dishes were just ok, I don't recommend them.Special Features:
- Great cocktails and cheese!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/15/2012Great cocktails and cheese! Quiet on the weekends and easy to get a table. Great for groups. The servers know a lot about the food and drink so ask them for pairing suggestions.Special Features:
- Great small plates! Amazingleeley18VIPDined on 8/1/2012Great small plates! Amazing cheese and wine. Loved eating downstairs...very cool!Special Features:
- This place was great! we hadOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2012This place was great! we had a great experience the staff was very accommodating!Special Features:
- Came here after work bothOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/11/2012Came here after work both mid-week and on Fridays. Great Happy Hour (5 dollar beers and selected wines/infused liquor/food for 7). Server was always friendly and helpful. We had so much fun we ended up staying for dinner. Everything we ordered was delicious: cheese plate with house-made cheese, cold cut plates, mac&cheese, ceasar salad, onion soup, porkbelly... Cocktails were fantastic as well.Special Features:
- Went here for my 30th birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/16/2012Went here for my 30th birthday dinner. Great food, great wine, great atmosphere. It was exactly what I wanted. Love this place!
- We came for dinner, but everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/28/2012We came for dinner, but everything was salty and expensive. The cheese platter was good and wine selection was good, but overall pricey. Not fit for a laid back glass of wine.
- I like this place--a bit ofyummycriticVIPDined on 2/14/2012I like this place--a bit of a speak-easy feel below Beecher's Handmade Cheese shop. Dark, romantic ambience, and the happy hour is decent. However, the food could use a bit more work. Mac and cheese is great, but I had scallops & prawns with a side of brussel sprouts with duck fat, and both were very so-so for the price. If food can be improved, it will definitely be on my top of list for regular visits.Special Features:
- Went to The Cellar with co-workers.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/31/2012Went to The Cellar with co-workers. It was the the perfect spot to relax and enjoy each others company. The wine list was extensive and interesting (but all from the US) and the accompanying food was just right.Special Features:
- Really fun and lively environment.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/20/2012Really fun and lively environment. Good for groups with an advance reservation. Delicious World's Best mac and cheese (I wasn't crazy about the other types of mac and cheese though). Amazing cocktails and great wine selection.Special Features:
- Good Atmosphere, lots of buildOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/10/2011Good Atmosphere, lots of build up with mac and cheese and was somewhat of a let down with all of the hype.Special Features:
- Great food, wine and atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/24/2011Great food, wine and atmosphere. Still some kinks to be worked out in the area of hostessing and reservations.Special Features:
- A little pricey consideringOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/9/2011A little pricey considering the size of the dishes.Special Features: