Bec's Bar and Bistro
2271 Shattuck Ave.
Berkeley, CA 94704Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Bec's Bar and Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.becbistro.com/
- Phone: 5106471790
- Hours of Operation:
Quite Dinner 6-8:30pm, Dinner with Live Music 8:30-10pm every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Cafe Hours: 10am-4pm everyday Bar Hours: 4-1:30pm Monday-Saturday; Sunday 4-12pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Located upstairs our private dining room is reserved for special parties and events. The room features a fire place along with direct bar access.
- Private Party Contact: Jean Yves 4155776766
- Entertainment: BEC’s features a live band and DJ every Thursday, Friday, & Saturday. Wednesday is Open Mic Night available to anyone interested in performing.
A word from Bec's Bar and Bistro
Located in the Historic Tupper Reed Building (1925) BEC’s Bar & Bistro offers a variety of cuisines to satisfy any appetite. Our wonderful menu includes fresh salads, specialty flatbread pizzas, sliders, and a wide assortment of entrees including steak, roasted chicken, mussels, and much more. Take advantage of our two full bars and try one of our delicious cocktails or craft beers on draft. Private banquet facilities available upon request. Reserve your party now!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bec's Bar and Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
- I really liked the space withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/9/2013I really liked the space with fireplaces, a balcony, and a wide array of entertainment but they didn't have the full menu that they advertise online available for dinner which was disappointing. It was extremely loud after 10pm and the DJ music was sub-par at best. Wait staff were patient and helpful.
- The restaurant seemed to beOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 1/26/2013The restaurant seemed to be undergoing a change in management. The menu was incomplete and one couple left after being informed there was no red wine. The food and service was good, although this place is more a bar than a full service restaurant. Expect very casual.Special Features:
- The food was good but limited.OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 1/17/2013The food was good but limited. They were in the process of changing the menu so were out of many items listed.Special Features:
- They were out of all goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/5/2013They were out of all good menu items. The poor server tried to make up for it but just spent the whole night apologizing. This place is fine but not worth the price tag.
- Good food. Good live music.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/5/2013Good food. Good live music. Nice ambiance. No decaf coffee avilable. Lovely fireplace. I look forward to returning for another evening and lunch too.Special Features:
- A MUST GO!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/24/2012Met alumni high school friends there for drinks and food the other evening. We sat in a cozy corner, right by one of two fireplaces in the restaurant. We had great food and drinks. We especially LOVED our waitress Monica. She was AMAZING, gracious, fun, accommodating, and very attentive. I suggest when you go to Bec’s, ask for Monica. You’ll be glad you did! ☺Special Features:
- Bec's was very accommodatingfujicat00Dined on 10/12/2012Bec's was very accommodating for our group that ended up being bigger than expected by a couple people. Service was not super fast (but obviously we had a lot of people to feed so it took longer) but we had a great time. They even gave our birthday girl a free drink!Special Features:
- Good neighborhood placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/22/2012Fun, pub atmosphere. The wait staff was good - our table was ready when we arrived and staff was ready to take our orders. The service wasn't slow or fast - just the typical bistro/bar - which allowed for our party to visit without feeling rushed. Paella wasn't as good as advertised on the menu. Probably best to stick with the old standards (e,g, fish and chips, burgers)Special Features:
- Great food. Not a restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/15/2012Great food. Not a restaurant for ambience. (It was our anniversary, and I wouldn't suggest it for that occasion.) More of a late night bar, live music, hor's deuvres place.Special Features:
- Not for UsStevAVIPDined on 8/31/2012Did not like food. The place is noisy but perfect for college students who want to talk and eat pizza. Nothing on the menu for vegetarian to enjoy.
- Wow, place was empty. FoodBzerkeleyVIPDined on 5/6/2012Wow, place was empty. Food so-so. Staff distracted even with only a few tables occupied. Don't think they care to much about food. Mostly the bar part I guess. Won't go back.
- Bec's - undercookedCatullusVIPDined on 5/3/2012This is the first unfavorable review I have written on Open Table. My meal had several problems. I told the polite waiter I cannot eat tomatoes or peppers. He warned me not to order the paella and said the salmon was safe. It arrived coated in tomatoes, but he told me the tomatoes were just added, not cooked in. I scraped them off to find the salmon was very undercooked, not seared. It was uncooked. When I again got his attention I sent it back to be cooked. Two strikes so far. When it returned to me it was considerably smaller than before, but not cooked much more. He should have replaced it. By now we are in compensation territory. None was offered. I won't return and will warn others.
- Ok, still figuring it out.emmaVIPDined on 4/13/2012Ok, still figuring it out. Our server was attentive, but was clearly overloaded with too many customers. Calamari was really salty, but we figured, no problem, it's fried food... you kind of expect it to be salty. But then my salad tasted like a salt lick. I had to send it back. It came back with less salt, but also no dressing. Took about 15 minutes for me to get some dressing for it. Also, the beets were super dried out. Not awesome. Paella was tasty though (also pretty salty). Seriously, the chef needs to check the food that is leaving the kitchen. You shouldn't need to dilute each bite of food with half a glass of water. And management should bulk up the service staff. We'll probably be back to give it another chance.
- College HangoutRexsterDined on 4/5/2012In a college town, wanted a college hang out for some light dinner and drinks. Was not disappointed.Special Features:
- Would not recommend TheyOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/27/2012Would not recommend They didn’t have the ingredients for the bloody Mary Were out of Lagunitas IPA Drinks were so slow getting to the table and came to us one at a time over fifteen minutes Asked for something to put unfed table to keep from rocking waitress totally forgot to look for something House specialty Paella was awful and spicy, which I like spice, but should have been told before in case you don’t like hot spice. Guacamole was chopped avocado not guacamole This is all I can remember off the top of my head A total disappointment
- They ignore reservationsAlanVIPDined on 2/18/2012We made reservations for dinner, and when we arrived (a) they had no record of the reservations because they didn't even have the OpenTable service turned on, and (b) they weren't serving dinner.
- Great per-movie spot.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/16/2012Very busy but seated right away with reservation, and when I said I was going to a film in 1/2 an hour, served quickly. Very happy with Bec and have recommended it already.Special Features:
- Everybody was very nice, butOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/11/2012Everybody was very nice, but they are very disorganized there. Lots of moving diners from table to table, slow service. Two sets of diners left before having their orders taken. The food was actually pretty good. Delicious salmon, chicken was tasty and moist (but lukewarm, as was the accompanying polenta). Apple tart arrived (after a long wait) with a burnt crust. It wouldn't be my first choice restaurant, but you get a decent meal there for the price. You just have to go in knowing they are not efficiently run.
- Happy Customer!SusieDined on 2/4/2012Friendly service, accommodating staff, and many options for outstanding burgers. Bec's fries are also a treat. We loved the architecture and quaint atmosphere in this historic building.Special Features:
- For a bar, the food is decent.outingsDined on 1/23/2012For a bar, the food is decent. Beer list is good, but wine list is limited. Staff was friendly but inexperienced. We were there early in the week between 6 and 7 and there were plenty of tables, including by the fireplace, and it was still quiet.Special Features:
- Boring menu, horrible service.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/20/2012Boring menu, horrible service. All of our food came out at different times; many of the orders were wildly wrong. This is a bar, not a restaurant. Not good for kids, obviously, and you don't need a reservation.
- Had our table even thoughJoAnnDined on 12/9/2011Had our table even though we had been stuck in traffic. Ideal location for Berkeley theater attendees.Special Features: