Bears Den Restaurant
254028 Bearspaw Road NW
Calgary, AB T3L 2P7Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Bears Den Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bears-den.ca/
- Phone: 4032417611
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday & Sunday: 5:00 Pm - 10:00 Pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 Pm - 12:00 Am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Wild Game
- Executive Chef: John Udell
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We welcome private parties of up to 150 guests, as well as a Private Dining Room that is suitable for 10-25 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Em Dobbin 8883022026
- Entertainment: Our entertainment features some of Calgary’s most experienced musicians. Styles range from jazz to pop to show tunes, but always tasteful.
A word from Bears Den Restaurant
Warm cherry wood walls, crackling fire, crystal, crisp linens, great steaks, fresh fish and wild game...Bears Den is a one of a kind restaurant in North West Calgary.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bears Den Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Alberta beef at its finest!DrFumblefingerDined on 6/2/2013One of the best steakhouses in Calgary! A little out of the city, but the quality of food and service make it well worthwhile. I've visited this restaurant a number of times and have never been disappointed. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerXodiusDined on 6/1/2013Very romantic hideaway for a specia dinner or fancy occasion. Very upscale, dress code in effect. Plan about $100/ person but it is worth it for the food/ ambience/ service. Very pleased, will definitely do againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After our excellent meal,LoriDined on 6/1/2013After our excellent meal, , we headed over to the lounge for dessert. The service was fabulous, and the bartender was engaging. We had a wonderful time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FANTASTIC DINING EXPERIENCEJRTRASHDined on 5/27/2013I can not say enough about the friendly and knowable service and the excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite RestaurantKassamDined on 5/25/2013For any special occasion, the Bear's Den is the place to go! Now that they have the B-Side, where things are less formal, we can go more often. The food is unsurpassed. The presentation is beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casey and Lucas were wonderfulDrJMDined on 5/24/2013Casey and Lucas were wonderful and very good servers. We did notice that as time got into the later evening (After 6pm) the place did fill up and the service got a little slower. The food also took some time to arrive but the servers kept us informed. I wasn't surprised by the length of time it took for the main course because of all the other comments AND it also made sense seeing how busy everyone was when the place was a full house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a visitOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/19/2013Excellent food! However, our service was questionable. We were already finished our appetizers and our wine had not yet arrived. When our server came back she informed us they were out of the wine we ordered. She could have done that much earlier. The same happened with dessert. We had our dessert long before the port we ordered arrived. There was a bad sewage smell in the lounge. That said, we will give this one another try before we write it off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemTonyVIPDined on 5/18/2013We had great service combined with great food! The restaurant is actually like a Bears den, with amazing large Wolf, Bear paintings on the walls combined with the Dark wood interior construction. We were pleasantly surprised and impressed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, service andsupperoutDined on 5/18/2013Excellent food, service and ambience! Great for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner wife my wifeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2013We sat on the dining side and had a great evening and nice quiet dining experience with my wife.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bears DensharonDined on 5/17/2013At first glance this is a nice step back into retro upscale dining, although unfortunately it ends there, service was horrific, which sets the tone for dinner, the food was okay at best, the spices used did not blend well with the meal, so became overpowering. on an up note we also attended the bistro/bar side, service was much better, but the food was also lacking and over priced for what was offered.
- Memorable occasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/13/2013Our family has been going to the BearsDen for many years. We save the visits for Birthdays, Mothers Day and Romantic evenings. My son ate his first Bison, Venison and Rabbit there ...now he cannot wait to return. The steaks are always done exactly as you want them. In fact their meat dishes are so good it has been difficult to choose some of the Chef's Features as an alternative. So we have made it our habit to choose a "Feature dish" to share with our main courses. The biggest difficulty with this practice is knowing when to stop eating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is fine dining but casualbagelo56Dined on 5/12/2013The food here is fresh, flavourful and cooked to perfection. Selection is suitable for all tastes and while it is fine dining its casual comfortable. This Mothers Day was our third visit. Start with the Bears Den Delicacy, Its an amazing appetizer that was satisfying for all three of us. Our mains were the Pan Roasted Salmon, the Seared Ahi Tuna Steak and the Rack of Lamb all were amazing and from our past experiences they rival thhe red meat offerings we've tried as favorites. You can't go wrong with any of the dessert offerings. Dinner is perfectly complimented by any of the wines from the extensive range offered as well as a well designed cocktail and liquo menu. Special occasion or not the Bears Den is great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best dining expereincesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2013One of the best dining expereinces in Calgary. Food and service are excellent!Special Features:
- Excellent food. Well preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2013Excellent food. Well prepared and service was great as well. Recommend the steak entreesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place to dine. Superbjsut4youDined on 5/5/2013A great place to dine. Superb food and relaxing atmosphere. Waiters are very courteous and professionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Disappointed!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/4/2013Have eaten at this resaturant many times in the past for special occasions and was very disappointed with the lack of service (None!) from a restaurant that is know to have a higher standard? In fact, a work colleague mentioned the same thing (No service) with his first time experience??? We will not ever go back as there are many better options in Calgary! Very surprised with the way the manager handled our complaint.... with social media and many other options for dining??? You should be a little more proactive? As a Bears Paw resident, I will certainly let my neighbors know about our experience!
- Still great to eat at the Bears DenDempseyDined on 4/30/2013We have eaten at the Bears Den from the day they opened. Their door step is not worn down from our visits; we eat there once or twice a year with very special occasions and know that the evening will be perfect. This time my wife and I celebrated our 49th wedding anniversary and once again everything was indeed perfect. Although the after dinner coffee was warm and I prefer it it real hot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, excellent servicePapaWhiskersDined on 4/29/2013Really enjoyed our trip here. Even though it was snowy outside, it was warm and friendly inside. A great experience I would recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrated a wedding anniversaryFoodie21Dined on 4/28/2013Celebrated a wedding anniversary on a Sunday evening. Nice quiet atmosphere, very enjoyable. Highly recommend the bison tenderloin - it was cooked perfectly and was very tender and flavourful. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Disappointing experienceAnneualVIPDined on 4/27/2013After not having been to the Bear's Den for several years, we decided to go back for a special occasion. We live in SW Calgary, so this restaurant is a long drive for us. We were extremely disappointed in the service. Our waiter seemed to be rushed and overworked and did not spend the time with us that you would expect in a fine dining establishment. He was inattentive, borderline rude, poured the 3 different wines that we ordered without offering us an opportunity to taste them, gave us no suggesions or information when we were ordering and basically "slapped" the food on the table. Plate presentation of the food was poor/non-existent. Food quality was good once we tasted it, but presetation was unappetizing. Decor needs to be improved.
- Brutally slow service. SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/26/2013Brutally slow service. Steak was not cooked to order even when returned to the kitchen. Totally unacceptable especially when you are paying that price. We have previously been to Bear's Den but the friends we were with had not. None of us will return.
- When ordering steak I askedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2013When ordering steak I asked for medium well, but going further to ask the waiter if that would mean to the chef it would have just slight pink in the middle. He said yes. All 3 of us ordered the same but we all ended up with med rare and 2 ended up with there steaks blackened and we were specific to have it just prepared without any of these extras.
- Anniversary Dinner, very disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/23/2013Anniversary Dinner, very disappointed in quality of service, food was mediocre. A poor choice on our part.
- Our party of 3 enjoyed ourRickEVIPDined on 4/23/2013Our party of 3 enjoyed our dinner, but it wasn't amazing, and I'm not sure it was worth what we paid. Our first visit to Bears Den was outstanding, but the last couple of times didn't quite live up to the first.Special Features:
- lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/19/2013This restaurant is quite noticeably under-staffed. The dinners, when they did finally arrive, were on the cool side and not prepared to order (ie, steak). The server was run off her feet trying to keep up and the wait for drinks initially was the tell tale sign of things to come. Considering the 'high end' pricing and 'rich' ambiance, I expect far more than the 'experience' on Friday night, as it was a special occasion (girlfriends birthday). We would have been better off waiting in the lounge at the Keg for a table than a reservation at the Bears Den (B-side bistro). I live 5 minutes away but will go elsewhere in the future.Special Features:
- Bears Den specially made aOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/18/2013Bears Den specially made a dark chocolate birthday cake for my fiancé 40th Birthday. It was so delicious, you can't not buy from others place.Special Features:
- Disappointed :(LauraDined on 4/8/2013We have been to Bears Den several times in the last few years and have never been disappointed - until now. We were not greeted at the door - after a 5 minute wait I had to go track someone down to be seated despite having a reserved seating time. Our server, Todd, was curt and inattentive. We had to ask for the specials/features, tell him that we were ready to order and ask several times for refills on our drinks/water. Perhaps it was because he was the only server, but it was tedious none-the-less. The calamari was delicious, and steaks were cooked as requested, but the potato gnocchi was salty to an EXTREME (and I even like salty). It was not the worst restaurant meal that we have ever had, but was definitely not the best!Special Features:
- We have been to the Bear'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/7/2013We have been to the Bear's Den several times and it never disappoints! We are always full and very satisfied. Always delicious and everything we ordered done to perfection.Special Features:
- Too much money for what wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2013Too much money for what was delivered. Waiter was by when he had time. Seemed like he had better things to do. Would fill my wine glass without asking. Someone has too drive... Steak was excellent. Scallops were cold and flavourless. The room was large and square with no privacy.Special Features:
- My Wife's birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2013Nice fine dining steak place. Upscale and so you need $$$ to dine there. Friendly service. If you are a sucker for good service then this is the place for you. We were offered a complimentary dessert to celebrate my wife's birthday. Ambiance was quite romantic especially in the main dinning area as opposed to the bistro are.Special Features:
- The food was fantastic asWeberDined on 3/16/2013The food was fantastic as always. But this time the service was terrible, long waits for dinner. The waiter was trying his best, but they appeared to be quite short staffed. Still a great place to go, and we will go back again.Special Features:
- Was told before we even satOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013Was told before we even sat down that they overbooked and we would have to leave in 1.30 hrs for next table, This wasnt a good start to our dinner, Server was nice, had to send steak back as was rare not medium, but was resolved and a complimentary glass wine. Was a big issue with crefid card machine took about 15 minutes to credit then recharge on other machine as one was broken. Over all, just felt that was a little unorganized.Special Features:
- WE were celebrating our anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/10/2013WE were celebrating our anniversary and the evening was very enjoyable. Michael did a great job helping us with the food and wine selections. The calamari was very good and the tuna and steak were delicious. The chocolate fondue was the topping of the evening. we were totally satisfied.
- Excellent restaurant. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2013Excellent restaurant. We would highly recommend it to friends and adult family members for a special occasion. Compliments to the chef, everything was beautifully prepared and the plating was delightful to the eyes. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Good food, but overpriced.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013Good food, but overpriced. Meat portions were good, but found them to be a little small with the sides. There is better food and value to be found elsewhere. Very nice ambiance though.Special Features:
- A little disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/1/2013The site was out of date since we were expecting to order the bison prime rib roast. So a big disappointment when we were told it was only for the fall season. We found the duo duck to be a little dry and surprised to find out there was no sauce to go with it.Special Features:
- Great wine/Food, lacked manners.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/27/2013Wife and I thouroughly enjoyed the menu items and presentation was impeccable. I had the opportunity to order the buffalo and it was done to perfection. We did notice the lack of salt/pepper on the table but realized why when the meal arrived seasoned to perfection!Special Features:
- Won't be backOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/26/2013Ownership change is good but management and staff change was not good
- We went for my birthday dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/23/2013We went for my birthday dinner. It was relaxing and quiet. The fireplace, lighting and small number of tables give it an intimate feel. The extensive wine and spirit menu should suit anyone with refined taste. The food likewise was exceptional. We would return for a special occasion!Special Features: