Beaker & Flask
727 SE Washington Street
Portland, OR 97214Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Beaker & Flask
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.beakerandflask.com/
- Phone: 5032358180
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tu-Th 5:00-10:00 PM, Fri-Sat 5:00-11:00 PM, bar open until midnight. Closed on Sundays and Mondays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Anthony Walton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Beaker & Flask
Beaker and Flask, an award-winning cocktail lounge, features the seasonally driven and creative cuisine of award winning chef Anthony Walton. Owner/Bartender Kevin Ludwig showcases his talents with an innovative artisanal cocktail menu.Continued
Expect a knowledgeable, professional, friendly service staff.
Expect a knowledgeable, professional, friendly service staff.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Beaker & Flask reviews from OpenTable diners
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/31/2013My wife and I tried Beaker and Flask for the first time on Friday and we were not very impressed after all the good reviews we read. The quinoa salad was runny. My wife had the rabbit which was "OK" however, the lemon ricotta it was served with was very overpowering. I had the fried chicken and was very impressed with it and the mashed potatoes were excellent.Special Features:
- Better for cocktails than dinnerPortlandAJDined on 5/31/2013As we were reviewing the menu, we asked the server for recommendations/what they are know for, referring to dinner. She replied "cocktails". The dinner was okay, but this is a better place to go for drinks and finger food, rather than a nice meal. I guess we were expecting more, from other reveiws. Prices were reasonable and it has a good clean feel to the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Formerly my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/28/2013Inattentive service and poor food was the hallmark tonight. It took quite some time before we were even acknowledged after sitting down, and it was NOT busy. After describing the beautiful tuna dish to us, the server came back to inform us that it was no longer available, but the chef suggested that he could do the same dish with prawns. The prawns were wonderful, but the dressing on the arugula was bitter, and the black rice completely crunchy and undercooked. We ordered coffee after dinner, and received the check right away, but not the coffee. My companion was diabetic and needed dietary accommodations, and I wonder if our server's poor attitude had something to do with this... What a shame. Beaker and Flask used to be wonderful!
- Fun for us!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/23/2013We had a good time at Beaker & Flask, although the drink service was kind of slow throughout, the food came fast and hot. We had the Black Tea Fried Chicken and it was excellently crispy. The greens and garlic mashers that accompanied it were delicious. The Quinoa risotto was so good I cannot wait to make a version of it very soon. The drink list is a concoction of their finest specialties and the round half circle booths are very intimate for two or great for a big group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine diningGManDined on 5/16/2013This restaurant has a great ambience and better than average menu. If you can be seated near the kitchen you can actually converse with the chefs. Prices are high but competitive. It meets my criteria for fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic menu and cocktailsluvchsVIPDined on 5/11/2013Went here with our son his girlfriend. Not in tourist area and missed the building a few times. But glad we found it. Very interesting converted warehouse. Friendly staff, knowledgeable and did not rush us. Tried some interesting cocktails and shared a few dishes. Recommend the short rib small plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The drinks are ok...take awonderwindypdxVIPDined on 5/4/2013The drinks are ok...take a little long to get, the food is good and came timely. The tuna was delicious :) My husband had the sandwich of the day, the pork ears, and the pork cheek dish....loved it all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/4/2013We were with out of town friends who were dubious over the menu selections but ended up wowed by the black tea fried chicken. The waiter was very conscientious and arranged to have the pork gravy replaced with butter. I had the short rib which was fantastic. It's small and loud, but worth it for the food... just go early before the crowd really gets going if you are just going for the great food.Special Features:
- Imaginative food in a hip place.homegirl44Dined on 5/3/2013Food is imaginative with many unusual pairings. We had the braised short rib, which just melted in your mouth, and the blackened chicken. The skin on the chicken was very tasty. I kept thinking about cholesterol but I kept eating it! The broccoli rabe and cauliflower ( the chicken and ribs respectively) were in-season and good. The broccoli stems could have been dispensed with. I found the stems hard to chew. Dessert? Of course. A rhubarb brioche I believe, sweet bread with a not-so-sweet fruit. The servers are all young and hip and know their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Freindly BartendertomskiDined on 5/2/2013Whet in for a bite to eat. - it was very quiet night. We just sat at the bar - the bartender was GREAT - very friendly and made us a couple of excellnt cocktails. We just had a salad and the creamy grits with pork and an egg on top - Both weere excellent. I was surprised how slow it was - maybe because it was a beautiful sunny night and Portlanders want to be outside when it's this nice. Good spot - Thnaks to the bartender for the great, friendly service.Special Features:
- Eat the meat, and drink the drinks.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/27/2013They accommodated a seventh person at the last minute, provided some great cocktails, and deftly served our large party all night. The nightly specials were very good - do seriously consider their meat plate whatever it is. The kitchen certainly has some charcuterie skill. Cocktails were inventive and well mixed, which is something I find you cannot always rely upon, even at foodie-friendly places. Well done!Special Features:
- Inventive drink menu, goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013Inventive drink menu, good food, and good service. However, I think the value is a bit off. Drinks are an ok value, but the food is a bit overpriced for what you get.Special Features:
- The food was absolutely amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/20/2013The food was absolutely amazing! BRAVO CHEF'S. The ONLY downfall to the experience was our waitress. She was very short with us, mumbled and acted as if she was too cool to serve us...which i guess she was, because she only brought our food to the table twice...Good thing EVERYONE else at the restaurant was wonderful and they brought us our food and smiled and talked with us a bit about how our evening and experience was. We will go back, but will make sure we are in a section where that waitress is not working! Thank you for the wonderful food Beaker and Flask...Rabbit is my new favorite meat:)Special Features:
- The meat plate was awesome,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/16/2013The meat plate was awesome, the salad we had was great. The service was both sweet and accommodating. They really know what they're doing and they have something for everyone. Their drink list is great, but we didn't get to try anything.Special Features:
- Everything was generally justOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/15/2013Everything was generally just fine, but I was disappointed in the number of menu items that were "86ed." I'm not in a rush to get back there, but would consider it for a small, celebratory gathering because the round booths were so comfy.Special Features:
- I have been here many timesOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/11/2013I have been here many times and it was one of my favorites for a while. But I have to be honest, this last dining experience was one of the worst I have had in Portland. The server ignored our table throughout the evening. The food came out lukewarm, and overall it was not a pleasant experience. Sad to see such a great place change.
- This place has changed. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2013This place has changed. The portions are small and overpriced. The service was fair. Its not a place for a vegetarian. ThSpecial Features:
- My chef friend recommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2013My chef friend recommended I try out this restaurant and I was blown away. What a gem! The food was an incredible mix of flavors and the people were wonderful. The cocktails were delicious too. I can tell the care that is put into the food and drinks - so nice to see. I will definitely be back and have already recommended this place.Special Features:
- Our waitress was outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2013Our waitress was outstanding. Great service. Would highly recommend the beef short rib with yogurt and pistaschio and for dessert the panna cotta with beignets,orange peel, whisky sauce & cherry. Great cocktail menu, lots to choose from. Definitely want to return.Special Features:
- Hoping it was an off nightJoePDXDined on 3/28/2013We've been to Beaker & Flask 2 or 3 times, but the last time was probably well over a year ago. We had friends visiting from out of town. We thought Beaker & Flask would be a great place to take them. Our cocktails were very good & the salad was good. For our main dishes, I had the Quinoa risotto & my partner had the pork belly sandwich. The Quinoa wasnt much more than a side dish & the pork belly was especially fatty on what appeared to be a Fred G Meyer roll. We're not sure what has happened in the the last year, but we were very disappointed. Our friends did not say if they liked their dishes(one had the ribs, the other had the fried chicken)& we did not ask. We are hoping that we just hit on an off night.
- Good food but a little offleenypDined on 3/22/2013The food was delicious, but the presentation and serving sizes were off. The pork belly was two small pieces of pork belly, which is acceptable because it is rich, but they came swimming in this giant bowl of grits. Way too many grits. Another example was the fried chicken, which had this great crispy skin, but was sitting on top of a pile of mashed potatoes. If you didn't take the chicken off the potatoes right away, the skin would get soggy. The cocktails were enjoyable, but not as interesting as I expected.Special Features:
- We are food snobs, yet wereGManDined on 3/16/2013We are food snobs, yet were impressed with the food choices. We actually split an entree (risotto)for our first course, then shared a small plate and another entree. The food was very well seasoned, just the right sized, and plated nicely. We will return.Special Features:
- OX Little Brother-Cute & Tries HardOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/13/2013I had the meat plate, brussel sprouts, pork chop, something else, and two specialty drinks. The pork was cooked perfectly, the brussel sprouts were okay, the meat plate was pedestrian, the something else was forgettable. The drinks were a let down. When you dedicate half your menu to drinks they should review good to amazing. The two other problems I had with the place were: A) There was no sign and everyone in our party had issues finding the place; B) The place had no energy. Everyone in our group came away thinking B&F was a watered down version of Ox. In a nutshell, if you are on the east side and can't get into Ox, Beast, Toro Bravo, Tasty and Suns, or Pok Pok then you'll be super happy with B&F.
- Amazing dinner with some ofOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2013Amazing dinner with some of the best service we've had in a long time. My fiancee was eager to have a drink that used to be on the menu which she loved. After explaining it to our server, she was able to figure it out and had the bartender whip one up. Also, the food was extremely original, came out so fast, and was delicious. We would highly suggest the venison flank steak with the raw brussels sprout salad.Special Features:
- Just fine.hazelDined on 2/21/2013Just fine. Doesn't reach the level of Portland's many fine restaurants. Drink menu more interesting than food menu. On the expensive side considering the "just fine" food.
- The food was very good. OurOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/16/2013The food was very good. Our server was very accommodating, substituting another type of fish when the steelhead special ran out. Strong cocktails. Kind of mellow for a Saturday night outing.Special Features:
- Fabulous dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013Fabulous dining experience from start to finish! Raw brussels sprout salad w/amazing reduction dressing. Beautiful short rib. Astounding quinoa risotto! Server, whose name escapes, me was excellent: attentive and knowledgeable. Only slight shortcoming; while I appreciate the mixologists effort at perceived value, my cocktail, a Negroni, was a bit too spirit-forward, but tasty nonetheless.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT cocktails! CrazyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013EXCELLENT cocktails! Crazy combinations that tasted GREAT! The cocktails are what did it for me. The food was delicious but when I think of B&F, I think Amazing cocktails!Special Features:
- Kitchen needs helpOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2013The wait staff and bartender were excellent and properly attentive. However the food here was what was lacking. Staring out with a bib-lettace salad, we were disappointed by far too strong a fennel flavor,even though I really enjoy the flavor of fennel. The buttermilk dressing was bland, thin and flavorless. The chicken dish was also quite un-inspired as the crust was simple and bland though the chicken itself was properly cooked. Included on the plate were pureed potatoes, bland as well and too wet, and greens that were very bitter though they were colorful. Generally I very much enjoy all greens, even those naturally somewhat bitter but these were too much so. We want to come back but they have to do better in the kitchen.Special Features:
- Not Just a Great Place for CocktailOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/25/2013Beaker and Flask is a great place to have a cocktail, but it also serves delicious food. We ordered two drinks from the cocktail menu. Both were great. For our second round, I ordered another cocktail but my husband ordered a double bourbon on the rocks. We let the bartender pick the bourbon. The selection was smooth and just what my husband wanted. For food we ordered The olive and nuts starter - so good. Everything was warmed and the olives had a buttery texture, the pork cheeks with grits and we fought over this one, the short rib which was very tender but too smoky, and the brussel sprouts salad was good. Our server was very knowlwdgeable about the drinks and food menus and provided the perfect amount of attention. We had a great night!Special Features:
- This was my second time atOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/19/2013This was my second time at Beaker & Flask and both times the service has been outstanding. The staff are friendly, attentive and laid-back. The food is amazing and always fun if your feeling adventurous (i.e. rabbit stuffed cabbage with lambs tongue, YUM!) and the drinks menu is unique and divine.Special Features:
- My only reason for 4 starsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/5/2013My only reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is because the food took a very long time to come out.Special Features:
- THe food was pretty awful.Cindy2DineDined on 1/5/2013THe food was pretty awful. The dried beans served as a backdrop for my son's steak were only paartially cooked and the when this was pointed out to the waitress the chef had the nerve to say that he liked his beans with some crunch. My som was illl the next day. We won't be back.
- EnjoyableHagarDined on 1/4/2013Went there with a small group, dinner was good and the service quite acceptable. Enjoyed the various items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Year's surpriseFuManShoesDined on 12/31/2012Beaker & Flask delivered one of the best meals we've ever had in Portland, which is saying something. The Wagyu was buttery rich with a great hazelnut sauce. The black-tea fried chicken was really moist, though the breading could use a bit more kick. Cocktails are imaginative and flavorful, and throughout our meal great smells emanated from the open kitchen. This place is a real gem.Special Features:
- Highly recommendedSB52Dined on 12/27/2012The service is outstanding at Beaker and Flash, attention to detail but not hovering. Very friendly and helpful. Extremely comfortable place to sit, acoustics are such that it is not a strain to hear others at your table even when the restaurant is crowded. Excellent bar and wine list.Special Features:
- Third time for dinner at B&F.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/24/2012Third time for dinner at B&F. Had hoped the menu might have had a few changes since our last visit, but we do enjoy the pairings and contrasts in flavors and presentation. Nice evening for Christmas Eve dinner. Bar makes a very good martini!Special Features:
- The food is a little too odd.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/21/2012The food is a little too odd. Our waiter made the evening!
- We used to love this placecalkal92Dined on 12/17/2012We used to love this place and this visit was awful. Everything from the wines by the glass to each and every piece of food was really terrible. Such a shame because this was a go-to place for us.
- great cocktails, great blackOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/15/2012great cocktails, great black tea crusted fried chicken. Desserts were good too and service was extremely fast. They even brewed a fresh pot of coffee without me asking for my after dinner drink when the pot was low and a little cold. Reservations are a plus, but you may still have to wait 15min for your table to be clear so it's more of a skip in line.Special Features: