Beacon Hill Bistro
25 Charles St
Boston, MA 02114Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Beacon Hill Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.beaconhillhotel.com/
- Phone: 6177231133
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:00am Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 10am - 3pm Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Josh Lewin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Beacon Hill Bistro
Raised mahogany paneling, banquette seating, mosaic tile flooring, etched glass, discrete mirrors and a large fireplace help to create a refined and comfortable bistro environment on Charles Street in Beacon Hill. A true urban neighborhood venue, The Beacon Hill Bistro is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner 7 days a week. While breakfast and lunch have an American/International flavor, at dinner the accent is decidedly French. Jason Bond crafts menus calling on modern bistro cuisine, “striving to balance tradition with modern tastes and techniques.” The Bistro also serves late-night dinners until 11:00 p.m. for the after-theatre, symphony, and film crowd. And, of course, Sunday brunch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Beacon Hill Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (29)fit for foodies (21)romantic (10)great for lunch (10)great for brunch (8)special occasion (7)notable wine list (6)good for groups (4)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014Bad service taints a good meal. We were waiting for about 45 minutes before we got a waiter. The food was good, but brunch is the best time to go.Special Features:
- something for everyoneEZGourmandVIPDined on 10/18/2014We came with the whole family (2 teenage boys and a teenage daughter) while we were in town visiting my daughter in College. Her request was for steak,which is apparently lacking from the College cafeteria menu, and mine was anything but… Every single dish, from appetizer to dessert was fantastic! Even though I was worried that some of us wouldn't be pleased, i couldn't have been more wrong.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/3/2014Great non-cafe breakfast option well-located on Charles St.Special Features:
- Great servicetravelguyDined on 9/16/2014Really great friendly staff at this bistro. The food is beautifully presented and the atmosphere is very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BHBKLG1Dined on 9/7/2014The menu had changed since my last visit. Some excellent choices. Gnocchi, Pork Belly. As always the steak and frites is a hit! The fried green tomatoes; batter heavier and too fried for my taste. The yellow tomato salad delish. Our server was great but the Bistro appeared under staffed. Sorbet: sour cherry out of this world!Special Features:
- As AlwaysAcquaDined on 8/31/2014Another good meal and good time at BHB. So consistently good it's hard not to enjoy eating here.Special Features:
- delightfullindysalemDined on 8/28/2014The food is consistently good and the wine list is delightful. The wait staff is always accommodating.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2014The atmosphere was nice, food and service were good. For the price it was nothing specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/26/2014This is a restaurant which is consistently very good to outstanding. The staff is prompt and generally knowledgeable about the items on the menu. It is worth a visit.Special Features:
- Solid dining in Beacon HillL02118VIPDined on 8/25/2014We had walked by BHB many times before and finally decided to get reservations with friends for dinner. Service was lovely and the wine by the glass, while limited, was varied. Longer list by the bottle, and well-priced. Food was excellent from the appetizers to the entrees. Everything was done extremely well. Dessert, chocolate cake, was just good. Service was friendly, though a little slow at times for a Monday night. All in all, I would recommend. I love Beacon Hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JessicaJoojooDined on 8/24/2014The food was plated nicely but that was it. They got our orders wrong. My boyfriend likes his steaks well done the kitchen brought him a medium steak. He then asked When we commented to the waiter the food was not what we ordered he was very rude. The desert came straight out of the freezer and was frozen solid not fresh at all. The wait staff was rude and sarcastic the entire evening. Don't waste your money.Special Features:
- Shockingly deliciousEastCoastFoodieVIPDined on 8/21/2014We went to Beacon Hill Bistro during Dine Out Boston. There was a fabulous set of menu options, and we were delighted with our choices. The meal was refined, thoughtfully prepared and served, and, we were bowled over with the tastes. It was a fabulous choice and we highly recommend Beacon Hill to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodloverVIPDined on 8/20/2014Great food...I thoroughly enjoyed my scituate scallops and pork belly/crab cake appetizer. I wish there were 2 pieces of pork belly instead of the crab cake. My husband got the flat iron steak and the corn soup, both of which were prepared very well. The steak was very flavorful. I would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Very NoisyParisVIPDined on 8/18/2014It was restaurant week and the restaurant was full on a Monday night. The service was slow but the food was good and an excellent value on offerings from their special three course menu as well as the regular menu. I was at a table for two and could barely hear my dinner partner in the din. I often had to ask her to repeat herself. The tables are not all that close together but there seems to be no sound proofing in the long room. The sound level in Boston restaurants can be a problem from time to time but never like this!
- Super Summer Dinner PartyJohnDined on 8/5/2014Everything was excellent for our group of 4, each of whom had something entirely different and delicious. I appreciate the fact that BHB always has several seafood offerings. and the desserts were also excellent.Special Features:
- AverageJohnDined on 8/1/2014I was surprised that for the price the food was decidedly average. The menu was quite limited and therefore expected more.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemWalthamflyerDined on 7/25/2014A smartly appointed gem in the heart of Beacon Hill. Creative twist on traditional french cuisine.Special Features:
- Beacon Hill Bistro PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/17/2014I have eaten at Beacon Hill Bistro numerous times over the past decade. This place continues to impress, with outstanding food and service.Special Features:
- A pitty...PiematDined on 7/14/2014I usually don't comment but not this time. We are used to eat in many restaurants all over Boston and around the world. We booked for 10 people. 1hour for the first plate, exellent taste but cold ! unprofessional service, unprofessional manager this evening !
- Bland expensive foodLetdownDined on 7/11/2014We had high expectations for this restaurant but it was a let down. Ford was completely tasteless. I usually cook with little salt but this was extremely unseasoned, had to add salt and pepper to everything. Food took a long time to come out. Steak was cooked at the right temperature but again no flavor. Fish was over cooked. Not even the bread was good and that is crime to French bread. Did not even stay for dessert. Extremely expensive for the food. You can get very good French food and reasonable prices at any other French Bistro or brasserie in Boston. I think they can get away with those prices because of their location. Will definitely will not return or recommend.
- Wonderful FoodBostonvisitorDined on 7/4/2014Enjoyed delightful 5 course tasting. Food was outstanding; each course would be one to recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Your standard breakfast..HotsauceHankVIPDined on 6/25/2014Nothing special just a basic breakfast. Perfect if you have a business meeting. It's quiet and the waitstaff are attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 733 reviews are from the Beacon Hill Bistro reviews archive.
- Glad MidsommarSwedeInTheCityDined on 6/20/2014As a Swede who is hard pressed to find Scandinavian cuisine in Boston I was pleasantly surprised and impressed by the Midsommarmiddag. The dinner courses were spot on and delicious. I only wish there was a signature vodka drink and the dessert was Russian not Swedish, but we were so full by then it didnt really matter. Already looking forward to it next year! Tack!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Matt Singer is a gemPrecchioDined on 6/17/2014Sous Chef Matt Singer is a true culinary professional, with creative tastes, brilliant execution and artistic plating. AKA - that Dude Rules.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Odd but okj12551VIPDined on 6/14/2014The food was actually pretty decent although we thought some if the choices of their pairings were odd. I had the steak and frites which was rather unremarkable. My wife enjoyed the hake fish but thought the pairing with a ratatouille was odd. Quiet night for a Saturday evening visit; the dining room was less than half full. Truth is that while it was ok, there are a lot of more interesting choices in Boston.Special Features:
- Crashed and Burned!Gramps09VIPDined on 5/20/2014In the course of changing to a new chef, the restaurant also seems to have lost any adult supervision in the front of the house. We ate there on Tuesday night, and it was a real disappointment, especially since it has been a long-time favorite of ours. The new chef, in trying to give his own spin to menu mainstays, is missing the finesse of his predecessor. Except for one seven-year veteran of the waitstaff (unfortunately, not ours), the service staff seemed bored, indifferent or inhospitable. Plus, our waitress's entire vocabulary seemed to consist of only four words, which were used variously throughout the evening but which can be summarized as "No problem, you guys." We probably won't return until we see a good review.
- A Service CatastropheWrywriterVIPDined on 5/20/2014This normally reliable Beacon Hill restaurant failed miserably on this visit. After one guest asked about multiple ingredients to ensure that a vegetarian option was truly vegetarian, a meat-filled version of the dish was delivered. Two of us had the same wine by the glass; when I noticed that it was corked, the waiter replaced my glass but not the other until a second request was made. Bread did not arrive until after the starters were cleared. The room was not crowded so there was no excuse for such slow and indifferent service. Of the five of us, two enjoyed the food, two found it just OK, and one didn't eat because he was so upset about the service and veggie issue above. It was an embarrassing evening.
- fun, delicious, TOO LOUDsayThatAGAINVIPDined on 5/18/2014There are only great things to say about the food, service, general ambiance, and time we had. However, all was compromised by the terrible acoustics. The room does not have the pleasant buzz of a busy, vibrant bistro, but is just plain LOUD. My hearing is fine, thank you, and I could not hear the person across the table due to sound from one end of the room bouncing off the ceiling and ending up in our space. Sound tiles on the ceiling might help. After eating at a wonderful place like the Beacon Hill Bistro, the noise should not be as memorable as the perfectly prepared steak frites.Special Features:
- AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014A bit loud which is OK for 2 but may make a table of 4-6 difficult unless you talk very loud!Special Features:
- Still SolidOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/26/2014A friend and I returned to Beacon Hill Bistro after a 2 years break. (No reason for the break, but just happened.) We found we were again impressed with the food, cocktails, and service. The one comment I would make is that based on the other guests it can be noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencelex12345Dined on 4/25/2014The food was amazing and the staff was friendly. They even treated us to some special treats on the house for our anniversary. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- French with an American twistSyfoodDined on 4/24/2014The ambience and staff were very friendly. Our waiter helped us find the perfect wine to go with the Duck,which was very good!This was our second time ther and we'll sure return when in BostonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this placeHappydinerDined on 4/23/2014Have gone here many times with my husband, but this was the first time I took a group from work there. The experience was equally great. This place is a jewel, food is fantastic, service impeccable.Special Features:
- not as good as last visitbentleyDined on 4/22/2014disappointed in the food, ambience (too loud), portions were too small and expensive...........we left hungry
- Simple BreakfastOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/20/2014The breakfast here was pretty good, but nothing to rave about. My husband and I ordered eggs with bacon and our kids had pancakes. The service was definitely poor. I was one of those meals where you had to ask for everything and every time the waiter brought one thing over and walked away, you realized something else was missing. Over the course of breakfast we had to ask for butter, jelly, milk for our coffee, extra plate, extra glass and salt. It got a bit tiring towards the end. The place was not busy and there were more than enough waiters.Special Features:
- Passover ExcellenceMurphDined on 4/15/2014We couldn't resist the chance to eat out on Passover and to see what a top chef could do with these guidelines. It was great. Everything tasted special and good. From the soup to the dessert it was great. Even if it had not been special for Passover, it would have to be considered a great meal. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the bestroomDined on 4/14/2014We had the passover dinner so we didn't really expect much from it since all the food has to be kosher for passover. But paying $42 (not including tip) for the food they gave us was ridiculous. The portions were small, the desserts were dreadful, and it took way too long to get the food.
- Great Passover MealRarereviewVIPDined on 4/14/2014We were thrilled to find a good restaurant offering a Passover meal! Great matzo, great food in general...traditional with a twist. Nice, friendly staff and atmosphere. Please do it again next year for us folks without families nearby who enjoy good food and want to recognize the holiday.Special Features:
- After hearing great thingsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014After hearing great things about Beacon Hill Bistro from family and friends, my husband and I were very disappointed after dining there recently. I ordered the beet terrine salad. Instead of the rich earthy taste one expects of beets, the terrine had very little flavor and had a slight aftertaste of food that's been sitting in the fridge too long. My husband ordered the duck which was tasty, but nothing outstanding. What really disappointed us was the ice cream. We tried smoked chocolate, rosemary and pumpkin pie. While the rosemary was delicious, it was completely overshadowed by how bad the pumpkin pie tasted. The flavor was barely there and the texture was very unappetizing - tasted like it's been sitting around since the Fall.Special Features:
- Sadly diminishedSquirrelDined on 4/11/2014Hadn't been here for maybe two years. Nearly empty, and with reason. Slooooooow service. Worse than indifferent chicken salad of fried, battered chicken strips, wilted greens, dabs of goat cheese, and over-toasted hazelnuts. Generally tasteless. Toilet paper strewn around the ladies' room floor. It was quiet, but not in a good way. Like lunching on a ghost ship, which indeed it was, the ghost of a neighborhood favorite gone way down hill.Special Features: