3853 Piedmont Avenue
Oakland, CA 94611Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.baywolf.com/
- Phone: 5106556004
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Monday (Monday Menu), Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Michael Wild
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Meet, Eat, Collaborate, Celebrate
at BayWolf Restaurant! We invite you to think of us when planning your meetings, celebrations and gatherings of all kinds. We have the perfect space for your party, from intimate to gala, inside or out.
- Private Party Contact: Larry Goldman 5106556004
- Special Events: Join us every Monday for our "Monday Menu" featuring a weekly changing set of offerings made special just for Monday nights.
Please visit our website for details: www.baywolf.com
A word from BayWolf
Since 1975, BayWolf has been Oakland's favorite neighborhood restaurant, consistently delivering vibrant, world-class food in a Victorian home made modern with its popular terrace and eclectic dining rooms on Piedmont Avenue. BayWolf has several options for those looking to celebrate or meet with large groups of friends or business associates. The dinner menu changes monthly, always featuring the abundant locally-grown seasonal produce of Northern California and utilizing the culinary traditions of the Mediterranean. Additionally, the menu always showcases duck, raised especially for us by Liberty Ranch in Sonoma County. BayWolf remains a home away from home for all lovers of food, art, wine, friends and most of all family, which is who we consider everyone dining with us to be.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
BayWolf - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
BayWolf reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (94)special occasion (85)neighborhood gem (85)romantic (59)notable wine list (42)great for outdoor dining (34)good for groups (22)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Never fails to pleaseAK19VIPDined on 10/11/2014Very consistent and never fails to please. Will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always consistent and delightfulGKBSBDined on 10/8/2014still one of the best Caesar salads - never tire of it and our dishes were beautifully presented and very good. Noise level for anyone desiring conversation with dinner was perfect. This restaurant never disappoints. Only missing ingredient for us is a full barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Dinner!SonusExMachinaDined on 10/4/2014My partner and I recently had dinner at BayWolf to celebrate our anniversary. The food was delicious, and well-prepared. The little gem/duck prosciutto salad was quite tasty. I enjoyed my pan-seared stuffed chicken; my partner liked her duck leg & sausage. As the server recommended, the chocolate cake (with crème anglaise) was surprisingly light. My partner enjoyed her apple crisp (as did I). All in all, an enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably good food!elfieDined on 10/1/2014Bay Wolf is always pleasant and good! Parking is a challenge and the service was slow. BUT, the food was worth the hassle.Special Features:
- Still going strong -- very strong!dowagerqueenDined on 10/1/2014I have eaten at Bay Wolf off and on for over thirty years and I'm amazed by its persistently excellent, interesting food and superlative service. The service is truly remarkable -- small "wobbles", which happen in every dining experience, were corrected with grace and generosity, leaving one with the feeling of being truly cared for. I have taken special guests there twice in the last three months and both times they were boundless in their praise for the restaurant and their enjoyment of the occasion. Bay Wolf is also a remarkable bargain for fine dining, and has an extensive and varied wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Oakland diningn2brasilDined on 9/27/2014Bay Wolf is an elegant, classic restaurant with excellent food, wine and service. Highly recommend!
- Good but not greatROC94546Dined on 9/26/2014First time to the Bay Wolf. I personally loved my meal but unfortunately, my wife did not enjoy her dinner as much. I had the Morocan style chicken that was full of wonderful flavors. The Ceasar salad was very good but too much dressing for my taste. The wine paring for my meal was very nice.
- Spectacular duck dinnerFiddlingSuzyDined on 9/23/2014For a special occasion (60th birthday) we went to Bay Wolf for their special anniversary duck dinner. Duck is a Bay Wolf specialty, always on the menu, but this was extra amazing - not only over-the-top delicious but also beautifully presented. The "Deconstructed-reconstructed Caesar salad" was like a beautiful sculpture but without being fussed over in any way, just the care taken with stacking the grilled Little Gem lettuces. The kind of thing that would take one extra minute, but most restaurants wouldn't bother. The special wine that was available by the glass was fabulous. The owners of the restaurant went from table to table greeting the diners. The service was impeccable. Bay Wolf made our special occasion dinner truly special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the BaydgansDined on 9/22/2014We celebrate our wedding anniversary at Bay Wolf every year. In a town that is bursting with great restaurants, Bay Wolf remains at the top of the list. This year we timed our 20 anniversary celebration to match the restaurant's 39th, and we're very glad we did! Double duck delight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful mealClaudiaCDined on 9/21/2014I went with friends to BayWolf's 2014 "Double Duck" event. I had been looking forward to an entree of the perfectly cooked duck breast I'm used to getting there, but they didn't have it on the menu. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise, because I ordered something different for a change: bacon-wrapped filet mignon with duck livers. I must say, the duck livers blew my mind with how unexpectedly delicious they were. The duck mini-tostadas were delicious, as was the "Walduck" salad (a modern take on a Waldorf salad, with duck prosciutto). I ended the meal with a chocolate souffle that was incredible. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- close to a perfect meal as possibleDutchtreatVIPDined on 9/21/2014I eat out a lot , but, perhaps because it was an anniversary dinner ( 39 years for Baywolf) one of the best dinners I've had all year. Wines were superb ! Service, friendly and extremely knowledgeable was perfect. RobertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent servicerestaurantmavenDined on 9/20/2014This would have been five stars had I been able to stay for dinner. Here's what happened: my friend is a Doctor who happened to be on call that night. We were just finishing our amazing appetizers (truly) when he got the call and we had to rush out. The staff was amazing and our waiter was incredibly understanding and helpful, packing up what we could. Hopefully we'll be back to finish soon and really looking forward to it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeDined on 9/15/2014lovely and delicious...and been that way consistently for a very long timeSpecial Features:
- FabulousKleverkarlVIPDined on 9/14/2014Went to the paella party. It was fabulous as always. Decades of consistently wonderful dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mmm, Paella!ClaudiaCDined on 9/14/2014Went for Paella and Sangria. Both were delicious. The calamari in the Paella was super tender, the clams were perfectly done. I'd never had Paella with pork ribs in it, but it really worked! The one thing that could have been improved was that the Sangria wasn't cold enough. Our server gave us more ice, but it would have been preferable to have it chilled more without ice so as to minimize dilution. But that is a very minor issue, and did not affect my enjoyment of the meal.Special Features:
- Bay Woof still top dogRayRAYDined on 9/13/2014So lucky to have this spectacular restaurant in our neighborhood. Never disappoints. The duck is still the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good!MrParticularDined on 9/13/2014Bay Wolf remains one of our go-to places for excellent food and quiet conversation. The food is always carefully prepared at Bay Wolf; this time it was outstanding. We both had the chicken tagine. Very generous portion, absolutely delicious. And the chocolate cake with creme anglaise afterwards: one of the best chocolate desserts ever! I wish we had ordered two of them rather than sharing one. Only one thing detracted from this fabulous meal: the background music. Never noticed that Bay Wolf had it before. It was not loud, but a tad annoying. We would have preferred no music at all, or, if absolutely necessary, then classical or something otherwise unobtrusive. Nothing with a beat, pop vocals and drum rolls, as this music had.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Heard great things about this place, so my boyfriend and I decided to try it and it definitely lived up to the hype.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingBrianDotNetDined on 9/6/2014This place is amazing. Nothing we've ordered weren't top notch. My lamb was superb and all my friends loved it too. The most amazing restaurant I've been to in OaklandSpecial Features:
- YummyYumtothetumDined on 9/6/2014The food was very good. Loved the different combinations of vegetables, everything was cooked to perfection. A very good selection and the dessert menu had many options. The service was excellent. We had a foursome and it was a fun evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bay Wolf remains excellentLuv2dineoutDined on 9/2/2014I've been going to Bay Wolf since it opened. It has never failed. Food excellent, especially anything with duck. Interesting side dishes included with entrėes. Service friendly and not stuffy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved everything but the foodsmoorthyDined on 8/29/2014Loved the ambience, the architecture of the outdoor balcony, the wine list, and the service. The food, however, was a little disappointing.Special Features:
- mzreviewsDined on 8/26/2014The food was very nice. Not amazing, but very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meet the parentsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2014Went to Bay Wolf with future in laws and it was marvelous, we could talk, loved the food and drink and service was great. Beautiful art as well.Special Features:
- Amazing service!DarvulyaDined on 8/23/2014Our server was kind, courteous, and informative when we had questions, and was happy to give recommendations. We had a delicious anniversary dinner on the terrace. We started with the tapas plate, which was light and tasty, although the man didn't care for the olives. I had the roast chicken with bread salad (so good) cucumbers and tomatoes, from the Spanish menu, and my fiancee had a dish I don't remember the name of, but was very similar to a seafood paella made with noodles instead of rice, accompanied by duck wings. We ended the night with the cobbler, which was ok, but I wouldn't order it again. Some candied pecans would have been a great addition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going stronggmanDined on 8/17/2014Been going to bay wolf for 20 years with a little respite with younger kids. They are older now and we have gone a few times this past year. Still a great menu and excellent service.Special Features:
- Had our rehearsal dinner hereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014This place is pretty amazing, but in business 35 years and has not missed a beat. Fantastic food, great service.Special Features:
- Great service.....OK foodOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/16/2014Had the seafood paella: disappointing....there was a white sauce dribbled on top which overwhelmed the paella flavors (I tried to scrape it off so I could enjoy the rest of it), the mussels and clams were scarce and tiny, no sausage (?), and the duck wings did nothing. I guess I was looking for a more traditional "meaty" paella. Since Bay Wolf is known for their duck, they found somewhere to use the wings.
- Just perfection!jwpoonVIPDined on 8/15/2014The character cap on this review will most likely NOT be able to adequately capture how SPECTACULAR a night we had here, so let me start off by giving a HUGE thank you to our waiter, Sam!! I chose this place (1st visit!) to host a family reunion with extended relatives that I had NEVER met before - and am so thankful that I did! Not only was the food amazing, but in meeting these family members for the first time, there was a LOT of catching up to do. We stayed for almost 3 hours, savoring each delicious bite and making truly amazing memories! Bay Wolf accomplishes what most aim to do but rarely achieve by marrying the warmth of home with food no everyday mom could ever prepare. Thank you for a truly amazing experience. We'll be back!Special Features:
- 20 years laterLetsGoNancyJoVIPDined on 8/15/2014We use to go to Bay Wolf for special occasions back in the early 90's when it was the one and only upscale, California cuisine restaurant in Oakland. With the boom of the restaurants in Oakland, we've had numerous restauranrs to try. Returning to Bay Wolf, we were thrilled to find the food and service as spectacular as it was two decades ago. And much to our surprise, the once seemingly "expensive " restaurant was actually less expensive than other restaruants bursting on to the easy bay scene! All 3 appetizers, 3 main courses and 3 desserts were all fantastic. It won't be another 20 years before we return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic RestaurantMarkVIPDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I loned this place. We sat on the terrace, which had just the right level of noise and ambiance. Our waiter was helpful, friendly, and paced the food well. He made great suggestions from the wine list. The menu was very flexible and we were able to choose small plates. Great experience overall.Special Features:
- An Oakland TraditionGailFoodieDined on 8/14/2014I had never been to Bay Wolf before, but it has been an Oakland staple since long before the recent restaurant boom. The atmosphere is upscale and classy. You won't see the hipster kids here. The wait staff is friendly, accommodating and professional. I enjoyed a glass of Cava, which was quite good. They had an eggplant starter. I shared the small portion with my brother. We found it both tasty and an adequate size for 2. I had the slow cooked pork as my entrée and my brother had the rockfish. I thought the red sauce with the pork was a bit bland and found the dish to be mediocre overall. My brother enjoyed his rockfish immensely. Overall a good price to quality value. I would eat here again but I didnt find it mind blowing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific food, great spacefoodietravelerDined on 8/14/2014A delicious dinner in a really lovely old house-space. They are famous for the duck (and I had it for appetizer and entree!) and it completely lived up to the hype, and more - flavorful but not fatty, delicately flavored, perfectly cooked. I love duck, but this was above and beyond. Seafood paella was really great also. The eggplant, which could have been just fine, was instead awesome. Picky eating companion ate entire plateful. And dessert - also perfection. The space is an old house and so divided into different spaces - which not only adds to the ambiance, it also keeps noise down. Really a lovely choice - we will be back!!!Special Features:
- It's still The Place for duckUrsaMinorDined on 8/14/2014We return every year or two because of the duck: the flan, and the roast duck. It was still awfully good, but the skin was not as crisp as recalled from prior visits, hence four stars instead of five.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- East Bay must try...jmorindaDined on 8/13/2014Our meal was fantastic. The Paella was well flavored and we over-ordered just to have left-overs (which were just as good.) The Gazpacho was mouth watering, a definite must for warm weather. They are carrying Chartogne-Taillet on the list, a great yeast balanced Champagne that went well with all the appetizers. For 20+ years I've been hitting this East Bay spot. Always been on the top 10 list and happy to enjoy their wine list and food any time.Special Features:
- Special Paella DinnereatwelloftenDined on 8/10/2014I attended the fixed price Paella Dinner. We were seated on the patio that adds a rustic casual touch. The meal started with a very fresh grape tomato salad with basil and cheese slices (pecorino). The seafood paella was moist with the delicious saffron & chorizo flavored rice and with lots of shellfish and calamari. The spice cookies were just the light finish, although we added scoops of iced cream. The meal was a definite hit. While the wine list was varied and reasonably priced, we brought a special bottle and found the corkage acceptable. It got very busy but service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BelgoVIPDined on 8/9/2014The food here is well-prepared, local and fresh. The service is professional an unobtrusive, and the setting homey and quiet. If I could think of one way to improve this place, it would be to lower the insane wine markups.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, intriguing,& comfortablejakiVIPDined on 8/6/2014We ate dinner on their porch, and the ambience was marvelously calm and relaxing; and the service attentive, personal but also discreet and not overwhelming. This, combined with delicious food and intriguing menu items, made it a real winner for us. We liked it so much, we have already booked another event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BayWolfPleasedDined on 8/2/2014We had a delightful experience while dining at the BayWolf on Piedmont in Oakland. Our sever was attentive but not overbearing. He paced our meal perfectly. The wait staff moved effortlessly and allowed us to enjoy our conversation. We certainly enjoyed our well prepaered meals without a second thought to "logistics".Special Features:
- Food was perfection however...JenzieDined on 8/1/2014Of course the duck flan was impeccable. Our entrees of duck and chicken superb. I was seated beside a wall and the ac seemed to be out as there were fans to move air. The wine by the glass section was lacking and glasses were less than half full. The dessert menu did not peak my interest. I expected creme brûlée or perhaps chocolate mousse; none to be found. The espresso was somehow bad. However, the food we did order was impeccable. I would recommend some sea salt on the duck flan, as well as salt and pepper on the table. Service was decent. I would return but ask to be seated on the patio/porch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.