3853 Piedmont Avenue
Oakland, CA 94611Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.baywolf.com/
- Phone: 5106556004
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Monday (Monday Menu), Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Michael Wild
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Meet, Eat, Collaborate, Celebrate
at BayWolf Restaurant! We invite you to think of us when planning your meetings, celebrations and gatherings of all kinds. We have the perfect space for your party, from intimate to gala, inside or out.
- Private Party Contact: Larry Goldman 5106556004
- Special Events: Join us every Monday for our "Monday Menu" featuring a weekly changing set of offerings made special just for Monday nights.
Please visit our website for details: www.baywolf.com
A word from BayWolf
Since 1975, BayWolf has been Oakland's favorite neighborhood restaurant, consistently delivering vibrant, world-class food in a Victorian home made modern with its popular terrace and eclectic dining rooms on Piedmont Avenue. BayWolf has several options for those looking to celebrate or meet with large groups of friends or business associates. The dinner menu changes monthly, always featuring the abundant locally-grown seasonal produce of Northern California and utilizing the culinary traditions of the Mediterranean. Additionally, the menu always showcases duck, raised especially for us by Liberty Ranch in Sonoma County. BayWolf remains a home away from home for all lovers of food, art, wine, friends and most of all family, which is who we consider everyone dining with us to be.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
BayWolf reviews from OpenTable diners
139 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (92)neighborhood gem (88)special occasion (84)romantic (61)notable wine list (42)great for outdoor dining (37)good for groups (25)great for lunch (7)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/14/2014Went to the paella party. It was fabulous as always. Decades of consistently wonderful dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bay Woof still top dogOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014So lucky to have this spectacular restaurant in our neighborhood. Never disappoints. The duck is still the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good!MrParticularDined on 9/13/2014Bay Wolf remains one of our go-to places for excellent food and quiet conversation. The food is always carefully prepared at Bay Wolf; this time it was outstanding. We both had the chicken tagine. Very generous portion, absolutely delicious. And the chocolate cake with creme anglaise afterwards: one of the best chocolate desserts ever! I wish we had ordered two of them rather than sharing one. Only one thing detracted from this fabulous meal: the background music. Never noticed that Bay Wolf had it before. It was not loud, but a tad annoying. We would have preferred no music at all, or, if absolutely necessary, then classical or something otherwise unobtrusive. Nothing with a beat, pop vocals and drum rolls, as this music had.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Heard great things about this place, so my boyfriend and I decided to try it and it definitely lived up to the hype.I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyYumtothetumDined on 9/6/2014The food was very good. Loved the different combinations of vegetables, everything was cooked to perfection. A very good selection and the dessert menu had many options. The service was excellent. We had a foursome and it was a fun evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bay Wolf remains excellentLuv2dineoutDined on 9/2/2014I've been going to Bay Wolf since it opened. It has never failed. Food excellent, especially anything with duck. Interesting side dishes included with entrėes. Service friendly and not stuffy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved everything but the foodsmoorthyDined on 8/29/2014Loved the ambience, the architecture of the outdoor balcony, the wine list, and the service. The food, however, was a little disappointing.Special Features:
- mzreviewsDined on 8/26/2014The food was very nice. Not amazing, but very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meet the parentsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2014Went to Bay Wolf with future in laws and it was marvelous, we could talk, loved the food and drink and service was great. Beautiful art as well.Special Features:
- Amazing service!DarvulyaDined on 8/23/2014Our server was kind, courteous, and informative when we had questions, and was happy to give recommendations. We had a delicious anniversary dinner on the terrace. We started with the tapas plate, which was light and tasty, although the man didn't care for the olives. I had the roast chicken with bread salad (so good) cucumbers and tomatoes, from the Spanish menu, and my fiancee had a dish I don't remember the name of, but was very similar to a seafood paella made with noodles instead of rice, accompanied by duck wings. We ended the night with the cobbler, which was ok, but I wouldn't order it again. Some candied pecans would have been a great addition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going stronggmanDined on 8/17/2014Been going to bay wolf for 20 years with a little respite with younger kids. They are older now and we have gone a few times this past year. Still a great menu and excellent service.Special Features:
- Had our rehearsal dinner hereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014This place is pretty amazing, but in business 35 years and has not missed a beat. Fantastic food, great service.Special Features:
- Great service.....OK foodOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/16/2014Had the seafood paella: disappointing....there was a white sauce dribbled on top which overwhelmed the paella flavors (I tried to scrape it off so I could enjoy the rest of it), the mussels and clams were scarce and tiny, no sausage (?), and the duck wings did nothing. I guess I was looking for a more traditional "meaty" paella. Since Bay Wolf is known for their duck, they found somewhere to use the wings.
- Just perfection!jwpoonVIPDined on 8/15/2014The character cap on this review will most likely NOT be able to adequately capture how SPECTACULAR a night we had here, so let me start off by giving a HUGE thank you to our waiter, Sam!! I chose this place (1st visit!) to host a family reunion with extended relatives that I had NEVER met before - and am so thankful that I did! Not only was the food amazing, but in meeting these family members for the first time, there was a LOT of catching up to do. We stayed for almost 3 hours, savoring each delicious bite and making truly amazing memories! Bay Wolf accomplishes what most aim to do but rarely achieve by marrying the warmth of home with food no everyday mom could ever prepare. Thank you for a truly amazing experience. We'll be back!Special Features:
- 20 years laterLetsGoNancyJoVIPDined on 8/15/2014We use to go to Bay Wolf for special occasions back in the early 90's when it was the one and only upscale, California cuisine restaurant in Oakland. With the boom of the restaurants in Oakland, we've had numerous restauranrs to try. Returning to Bay Wolf, we were thrilled to find the food and service as spectacular as it was two decades ago. And much to our surprise, the once seemingly "expensive " restaurant was actually less expensive than other restaruants bursting on to the easy bay scene! All 3 appetizers, 3 main courses and 3 desserts were all fantastic. It won't be another 20 years before we return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic RestaurantMarkDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I loned this place. We sat on the terrace, which had just the right level of noise and ambiance. Our waiter was helpful, friendly, and paced the food well. He made great suggestions from the wine list. The menu was very flexible and we were able to choose small plates. Great experience overall.Special Features:
- An Oakland TraditionGailFoodieDined on 8/14/2014I had never been to Bay Wolf before, but it has been an Oakland staple since long before the recent restaurant boom. The atmosphere is upscale and classy. You won't see the hipster kids here. The wait staff is friendly, accommodating and professional. I enjoyed a glass of Cava, which was quite good. They had an eggplant starter. I shared the small portion with my brother. We found it both tasty and an adequate size for 2. I had the slow cooked pork as my entrée and my brother had the rockfish. I thought the red sauce with the pork was a bit bland and found the dish to be mediocre overall. My brother enjoyed his rockfish immensely. Overall a good price to quality value. I would eat here again but I didnt find it mind blowing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific food, great spacefoodietravelerDined on 8/14/2014A delicious dinner in a really lovely old house-space. They are famous for the duck (and I had it for appetizer and entree!) and it completely lived up to the hype, and more - flavorful but not fatty, delicately flavored, perfectly cooked. I love duck, but this was above and beyond. Seafood paella was really great also. The eggplant, which could have been just fine, was instead awesome. Picky eating companion ate entire plateful. And dessert - also perfection. The space is an old house and so divided into different spaces - which not only adds to the ambiance, it also keeps noise down. Really a lovely choice - we will be back!!!Special Features:
- It's still The Place for duckUrsaMinorDined on 8/14/2014We return every year or two because of the duck: the flan, and the roast duck. It was still awfully good, but the skin was not as crisp as recalled from prior visits, hence four stars instead of five.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- East Bay must try...jmorindaDined on 8/13/2014Our meal was fantastic. The Paella was well flavored and we over-ordered just to have left-overs (which were just as good.) The Gazpacho was mouth watering, a definite must for warm weather. They are carrying Chartogne-Taillet on the list, a great yeast balanced Champagne that went well with all the appetizers. For 20+ years I've been hitting this East Bay spot. Always been on the top 10 list and happy to enjoy their wine list and food any time.Special Features:
- Special Paella DinnereatwelloftenDined on 8/10/2014I attended the fixed price Paella Dinner. We were seated on the patio that adds a rustic casual touch. The meal started with a very fresh grape tomato salad with basil and cheese slices (pecorino). The seafood paella was moist with the delicious saffron & chorizo flavored rice and with lots of shellfish and calamari. The spice cookies were just the light finish, although we added scoops of iced cream. The meal was a definite hit. While the wine list was varied and reasonably priced, we brought a special bottle and found the corkage acceptable. It got very busy but service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BelgoVIPDined on 8/9/2014The food here is well-prepared, local and fresh. The service is professional an unobtrusive, and the setting homey and quiet. If I could think of one way to improve this place, it would be to lower the insane wine markups.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, intriguing,& comfortablejakiVIPDined on 8/6/2014We ate dinner on their porch, and the ambience was marvelously calm and relaxing; and the service attentive, personal but also discreet and not overwhelming. This, combined with delicious food and intriguing menu items, made it a real winner for us. We liked it so much, we have already booked another event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BayWolfPleasedDined on 8/2/2014We had a delightful experience while dining at the BayWolf on Piedmont in Oakland. Our sever was attentive but not overbearing. He paced our meal perfectly. The wait staff moved effortlessly and allowed us to enjoy our conversation. We certainly enjoyed our well prepaered meals without a second thought to "logistics".Special Features:
- Food was perfection however...JenzieDined on 8/1/2014Of course the duck flan was impeccable. Our entrees of duck and chicken superb. I was seated beside a wall and the ac seemed to be out as there were fans to move air. The wine by the glass section was lacking and glasses were less than half full. The dessert menu did not peak my interest. I expected creme brûlée or perhaps chocolate mousse; none to be found. The espresso was somehow bad. However, the food we did order was impeccable. I would recommend some sea salt on the duck flan, as well as salt and pepper on the table. Service was decent. I would return but ask to be seated on the patio/porch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Exindustry26Dined on 8/1/2014We had a great time, our server was nice, the food was fresh and lovely. There was a crazy loud car alarm in front of the patio we were sitting on, but that was not the restraints fault. We really liked it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BetsyDined on 7/26/2014Bay Wolf has always been consistently excellent. I have been going there for over 30 years. Of course, the duck is my favorite.Special Features:
- DeliciousEatsDined on 7/26/2014They were very gracious when we were 15 min. late (just after they opened.) They set us down at a table of our choice and the food we ordered was excellently prepared and delicious. All four of us agreed on this evaluation.lSpecial Features:
- The neighborhood gemLPitmanDined on 7/21/2014I love going to Bay Wolf. It's the food, it's the service, it's the wine list, but it's so much more. Just the idea that this restaurant has been serving such creative and wonderful food for so many decades appeals to me. Bay Wolf was trendy back when no one knew what that meant, and they still have it. Three of us had a family birthday dinner there. The service was perfect, with just the right amount of attention. The food was gorgeous as always. The surprise was the plate of filled doughnut holes for dessert. What a delightful treat! Perfect foil for the piece of flourless chocolate cake that also somehow made its way to our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect DinnerLindaDined on 7/18/2014Always riquissimo and perfect service! Always my go to for an elegant meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliably excellentshoshannaVIPDined on 7/17/2014I have been dining at Bay Wolf for over 30 years. I used to live close by in Oakland, now I live in NY City, but still make it back there almost every time I visit the Bay Area. The food is inventive, delicious and though the menu is relatively short the variety can meet the needs of a wide range of eaters. The servers are warm, knowledgeable and competent. Two great dishes -- the duck flan, on the menu for decades and still a smooth delicious appetizer; the chocolate cake, perhaps the best chocolate dessert on the planet (seriously). Better in texture than even the iconic New York Gotham Bar and Grill chocolate cake. Go there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic and classicGreenieVIPDined on 7/14/201437 years and going strong. True to its roots of a warm French household setting, BayWolf is honest food, prepared carefully and served very knowledgeably. No attitude and no artifice or pretense. You feel at home except it is an elegant home with delicious food. Great place for special occasions or just spending quality time with people you care about.Special Features:
- love the place but disappointedFunproDined on 7/7/2014The lamb tagine was mostly fat, couldn't discern the Moraccan influence. I left a pile of fat and bone on the plate... too bad.Special Features:
- oldtime favoriteJB42Dined on 7/7/2014After all these years still a place for excellent food, imaginatively prepared. Latest visit marred a bit by service that was slow and a bit oddly toned...an exception to the usually excellent service on most visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu needs more detailHoosierDined on 7/6/2014I have eaten here at least 40 times in the last almost 40 years. This visit was a bit disappointing. Our server, although pleasant, was a bit bland and also absent. It felt like they under-staffed for the night. I ordered the rockfish which was described with eggplant, tomatoes, olives and I believe capers. No capers, but about 40% of the veggies were red peppers, to which I am allergic. Had that been noted I would have chosen differently. I did not want to make a scene so I separated them and ate what I could. No one checked on us and when they cleared my plate and saw a huge pile of peppers, nothing was said. I do love this place but feel like it had no spark on this visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- magmag1Dined on 7/5/2014baywolf doesn't get the love it deserves. went with friends last saturday night...great food, service and we could actually have a conversation. i hadn't been there for a few years and now wonder why. while trying out the latest and greatest new places, baywolf tends to be overlooked. big mistake.Special Features:
- Lovely Neighborhood restaurantDiningcubDined on 7/1/2014Lovely Ambiance and gracious classy waitstaff. I asked the server what she thought was worth investigating and she suggested the duck. "BayWolf is known for its Duck " she said. I found it perfectly grilled but unremarkable in flavor. The corn pudding was wonderful and so fresh tasting. My husband had chicken and said it was good but not rave worthy. The corn clam chowder and cheese filled squash blossoms were very tasty. The chocolate cake was very very good but my berry nectarine tart was a little lackluster. I wished there were pork or beef options for the entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long lived dining in OaklandcnalscVIPDined on 6/28/2014We took in Bay Wolf on our last visit to Oakland and we were not disappointed. Still going strong after all these years; situated in an old house that has been remodeled and expanded many times; we love the place. Warm welcome, somewhat limited menu of Californian-Mediterranean dishes that are expertly prepared; incredibly interesting wine list. Don't skip the desserts. It proves there is a way for English majors to make a living.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectPigFancierDined on 6/25/2014Not only could we sit out on the enclosed porch, we had a great waiter (Dylan) and superb food. I had five different items (being a vegetarian, I tried many small dishes that were meatless rather than a large dish of meat or fish) and they were each excellent. 'Can hardly wait to go back.
- Bay Wolf - Even better than beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/21/2014My husband and I were in Oakland for the weekend. We invited our niece and her new husband to dinner and wanted a restaurant near Downtown, with food and ambiance good enough to make a BART trip for them worthwhile. I found Bay Wolf in a list of recommended restaurants. I remembered eating there a few times when I lived in Oakland 10 years ago and finding it good if not memorable. We were thus pleasantly surprised that the quality, service, and ambiance were even better than we remembered, with choices on the menu to well suited to each of our appetites (my duck w/ corn pudding and blackberries was particularly good). We had a lovely evening and the kids are already planning another trek to Bay Wolf, this time with foodie friends in tow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.