3853 Piedmont Avenue
Oakland, CA 94611Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.baywolf.com/
- Phone: (510) 655-6004
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Monday (Monday Menu), Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Michael Wild
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Meet, Eat, Collaborate, Celebrate
at BayWolf Restaurant! We invite you to think of us when planning your meetings, celebrations and gatherings of all kinds. We have the perfect space for your party, from intimate to gala, inside or out.
- Private Party Contact: Larry Goldman 5106556004
- Special Events: Join us every Monday for our "Monday Menu" featuring a weekly changing set of offerings made special just for Monday nights.
Please visit our website for details: www.baywolf.com
A word from BayWolf
Since 1975, BayWolf has been Oakland's favorite neighborhood restaurant, consistently delivering vibrant, world-class food in a Victorian home made modern with its popular terrace and eclectic dining rooms on Piedmont Avenue. BayWolf has several options for those looking to celebrate or meet with large groups of friends or business associates. The dinner menu changes monthly, always featuring the abundant locally-grown seasonal produce of Northern California and utilizing the culinary traditions of the Mediterranean. Additionally, the menu always showcases duck, raised especially for us by Liberty Ranch in Sonoma County. BayWolf remains a home away from home for all lovers of food, art, wine, friends and most of all family, which is who we consider everyone dining with us to be.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
BayWolf - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
BayWolf reviews from OpenTable diners
139 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (100)neighborhood gem (92)special occasion (86)romantic (58)notable wine list (43)great for outdoor dining (40)good for groups (24)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- MferVIPDined on 11/16/2014Service was smooth and impeccable. Salads were perfectly balanced and featured seasonal ingredients. The duck was fabulous. Not greasy just juicySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good serviceBerkeleyDined on 11/9/2014Welcoming, attentive waitstaff, tasty food, kid-friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosphere not as good as expectedBernalGal1VIPDined on 11/8/2014We were sat in the room to the right all the way in the back in the corner. It felt kind of boxed in, and the room was noisy. I remember sitting once on the other side in much more comfortable, mellow and less cramped conditions. Other than that, delicious food (even though I really don't like pork that pink), good wine.Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/7/2014Caught a great dinner before heading off to the movies. The salmon was outstanding and the salad with persimmon and blue cheese was beautiful as well as tasty. Very reasonably priced including the glass of wine? Only problem is the parkingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodbillishungryyyyyyDined on 11/4/2014we were there on election night very quiet tuesday. food outstanding,good wine list Roederer Estate brut was great. best bouillabaisse... better than from Marseille. beef shoulder as good as it gets. good place! we drove from elcerrito and found parking in front of the door!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too quiet ( I love quiet!!)NooneyDined on 10/30/2014Great place for old people (I'm 62 and it was too sleepy)The food was standard, cooked ok but nothing about any part of the experience was memorable or would make me want to return. Very disappointing.
- Delightful Mexican DuckJustthebestDined on 10/29/2014Healthy, beautiful, very tasteful duck pozole, duck taco, and mole poblano with heaven sent Mexican Wedding cookies. All this with a great bottle of wine and great friends on the night of the nail biter game 7 of the World Series: a confluence of magical occurrences for the perfect night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Duck DinnerBonTonVIPDined on 10/29/2014Just too much of a good thing, was the special night of duck…posole was very good; the tostada, not so much; the relleno with duck was outstanding and the mexican wedding cake was a bad choice with the rich duck dishes before…not a green thing in sight--way too much duck with nothing to balance the richness…missed fresh local ingredients from the farmSpecial Features:
- Wonderful, wonderfulBzerkeleyVIPDined on 10/25/2014Cozy environs, complex flavors, friendly service. A wonderful experience all around. This restaurant continues to deliver year after year. Only disappointment was the sorbet...flavors too subtle for our palate.
- Over-ratedloveeatingoutDined on 10/25/2014Service was REALLY slow - took over an hour to be served after ordering. Had to ask for everything twice; food, wine; check. Food was ok - nothing special.
- Celebration with FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014One of my dearest friends had her birthday and I wanted to show her my appreciation by hosting this dinner at Bay Wolf. My friend was honored! There were seven of us to hold a lively, engaging conversation. The food was delicious and the ambiance was conducive to a relaxed, friendly time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014I've been going there since they opened. Rivals Chez Panisse.Special Features:
- Always a good timeFrequentDinerDined on 10/18/2014Brought our friends to this beautiful, quirky restaurant and they enjoyed it as much as we do everytime we go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent QualityTuesdayDinerDined on 10/14/2014BayWolf has been a consistent high-quality restaurant since they opened in the 70's. On our most recent visit everyone in our group of 5 found each dish to be outstanding. It doesn't hurt that they feature duck on their monthly menus. Their menu varies monthly with additional special days. The desserts were outstanding, as well. BayWolf is one of the top two restaurants we frequent for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/11/2014Excellent food, wine, and atmosphere for a birthday dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails to pleaseAK19VIPDined on 10/11/2014Very consistent and never fails to please. Will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always consistent and delightfulGKBSBDined on 10/8/2014still one of the best Caesar salads - never tire of it and our dishes were beautifully presented and very good. Noise level for anyone desiring conversation with dinner was perfect. This restaurant never disappoints. Only missing ingredient for us is a full barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Dinner!SonusExMachinaDined on 10/4/2014My partner and I recently had dinner at BayWolf to celebrate our anniversary. The food was delicious, and well-prepared. The little gem/duck prosciutto salad was quite tasty. I enjoyed my pan-seared stuffed chicken; my partner liked her duck leg & sausage. As the server recommended, the chocolate cake (with crème anglaise) was surprisingly light. My partner enjoyed her apple crisp (as did I). All in all, an enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably good food!elfieDined on 10/1/2014Bay Wolf is always pleasant and good! Parking is a challenge and the service was slow. BUT, the food was worth the hassle.Special Features:
- Still going strong -- very strong!dowagerqueenDined on 10/1/2014I have eaten at Bay Wolf off and on for over thirty years and I'm amazed by its persistently excellent, interesting food and superlative service. The service is truly remarkable -- small "wobbles", which happen in every dining experience, were corrected with grace and generosity, leaving one with the feeling of being truly cared for. I have taken special guests there twice in the last three months and both times they were boundless in their praise for the restaurant and their enjoyment of the occasion. Bay Wolf is also a remarkable bargain for fine dining, and has an extensive and varied wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Oakland diningn2brasilDined on 9/27/2014Bay Wolf is an elegant, classic restaurant with excellent food, wine and service. Highly recommend!
- Good but not greatROC94546Dined on 9/26/2014First time to the Bay Wolf. I personally loved my meal but unfortunately, my wife did not enjoy her dinner as much. I had the Morocan style chicken that was full of wonderful flavors. The Ceasar salad was very good but too much dressing for my taste. The wine paring for my meal was very nice.
- Spectacular duck dinnerFiddlingSuzyDined on 9/23/2014For a special occasion (60th birthday) we went to Bay Wolf for their special anniversary duck dinner. Duck is a Bay Wolf specialty, always on the menu, but this was extra amazing - not only over-the-top delicious but also beautifully presented. The "Deconstructed-reconstructed Caesar salad" was like a beautiful sculpture but without being fussed over in any way, just the care taken with stacking the grilled Little Gem lettuces. The kind of thing that would take one extra minute, but most restaurants wouldn't bother. The special wine that was available by the glass was fabulous. The owners of the restaurant went from table to table greeting the diners. The service was impeccable. Bay Wolf made our special occasion dinner truly special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the BaydgansDined on 9/22/2014We celebrate our wedding anniversary at Bay Wolf every year. In a town that is bursting with great restaurants, Bay Wolf remains at the top of the list. This year we timed our 20 anniversary celebration to match the restaurant's 39th, and we're very glad we did! Double duck delight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful mealClaudiaCDined on 9/21/2014I went with friends to BayWolf's 2014 "Double Duck" event. I had been looking forward to an entree of the perfectly cooked duck breast I'm used to getting there, but they didn't have it on the menu. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise, because I ordered something different for a change: bacon-wrapped filet mignon with duck livers. I must say, the duck livers blew my mind with how unexpectedly delicious they were. The duck mini-tostadas were delicious, as was the "Walduck" salad (a modern take on a Waldorf salad, with duck prosciutto). I ended the meal with a chocolate souffle that was incredible. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- close to a perfect meal as possibleDutchtreatVIPDined on 9/21/2014I eat out a lot , but, perhaps because it was an anniversary dinner ( 39 years for Baywolf) one of the best dinners I've had all year. Wines were superb ! Service, friendly and extremely knowledgeable was perfect. RobertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent servicerestaurantmavenDined on 9/20/2014This would have been five stars had I been able to stay for dinner. Here's what happened: my friend is a Doctor who happened to be on call that night. We were just finishing our amazing appetizers (truly) when he got the call and we had to rush out. The staff was amazing and our waiter was incredibly understanding and helpful, packing up what we could. Hopefully we'll be back to finish soon and really looking forward to it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeDined on 9/15/2014lovely and delicious...and been that way consistently for a very long timeSpecial Features:
- FabulousKleverkarlVIPDined on 9/14/2014Went to the paella party. It was fabulous as always. Decades of consistently wonderful dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mmm, Paella!ClaudiaCDined on 9/14/2014Went for Paella and Sangria. Both were delicious. The calamari in the Paella was super tender, the clams were perfectly done. I'd never had Paella with pork ribs in it, but it really worked! The one thing that could have been improved was that the Sangria wasn't cold enough. Our server gave us more ice, but it would have been preferable to have it chilled more without ice so as to minimize dilution. But that is a very minor issue, and did not affect my enjoyment of the meal.Special Features:
- Bay Woof still top dogRayRAYDined on 9/13/2014So lucky to have this spectacular restaurant in our neighborhood. Never disappoints. The duck is still the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good!MrParticularDined on 9/13/2014Bay Wolf remains one of our go-to places for excellent food and quiet conversation. The food is always carefully prepared at Bay Wolf; this time it was outstanding. We both had the chicken tagine. Very generous portion, absolutely delicious. And the chocolate cake with creme anglaise afterwards: one of the best chocolate desserts ever! I wish we had ordered two of them rather than sharing one. Only one thing detracted from this fabulous meal: the background music. Never noticed that Bay Wolf had it before. It was not loud, but a tad annoying. We would have preferred no music at all, or, if absolutely necessary, then classical or something otherwise unobtrusive. Nothing with a beat, pop vocals and drum rolls, as this music had.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Heard great things about this place, so my boyfriend and I decided to try it and it definitely lived up to the hype.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingBrianDotNetDined on 9/6/2014This place is amazing. Nothing we've ordered weren't top notch. My lamb was superb and all my friends loved it too. The most amazing restaurant I've been to in OaklandSpecial Features:
- YummyYumtothetumDined on 9/6/2014The food was very good. Loved the different combinations of vegetables, everything was cooked to perfection. A very good selection and the dessert menu had many options. The service was excellent. We had a foursome and it was a fun evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bay Wolf remains excellentLuv2dineoutDined on 9/2/2014I've been going to Bay Wolf since it opened. It has never failed. Food excellent, especially anything with duck. Interesting side dishes included with entrėes. Service friendly and not stuffy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved everything but the foodsmoorthyDined on 8/29/2014Loved the ambience, the architecture of the outdoor balcony, the wine list, and the service. The food, however, was a little disappointing.Special Features:
- mzreviewsDined on 8/26/2014The food was very nice. Not amazing, but very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meet the parentsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2014Went to Bay Wolf with future in laws and it was marvelous, we could talk, loved the food and drink and service was great. Beautiful art as well.Special Features:
- Amazing service!DarvulyaDined on 8/23/2014Our server was kind, courteous, and informative when we had questions, and was happy to give recommendations. We had a delicious anniversary dinner on the terrace. We started with the tapas plate, which was light and tasty, although the man didn't care for the olives. I had the roast chicken with bread salad (so good) cucumbers and tomatoes, from the Spanish menu, and my fiancee had a dish I don't remember the name of, but was very similar to a seafood paella made with noodles instead of rice, accompanied by duck wings. We ended the night with the cobbler, which was ok, but I wouldn't order it again. Some candied pecans would have been a great addition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.