900 Bayside Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.baysiderestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9497211222
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Paul Gstrein
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live music 7 nights a week and Sunday Brunch
- Special Events: From wedding receptions to corporate functions, Bayside can accommodate from 20 to 200 guests with the ideal setting. Take a tour of the rooms available to you.
A word from Bayside Restaurant
New American cuisine comes to life in this custom-designed location overlooking the harbor in Newport Beach, California. Award-winning Executive Chef Paul Gstrein brings culinary drama to his inventive dishes for lunch, dinner and the enormously popular Champagne Sunday Brunch. Lunch, dinner or brunch dining may all be enjoyed al fresco on our wrap-around patio, made comfortable with built-in heaters and sun drapes. Complementing the kitchen is a circular glass wine cellar that boasts more than 2500 bottles of wine favorites from around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Bayside Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
Bayside Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (87)neighborhood gem (60)fit for foodies (60)romantic (50)great for brunch (43)great for lunch (42)notable wine list (41)good for groups (39)great for outdoor dining (39)vibrant bar scene (37)scenic view (29)late-night find (15)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (8)Show More
- consistently greatLeneVIPDined on 8/31/2014We are in Newport 1 week a year and we make sure to come to Bayside one night because we always have great dinners there. Our guests always agree.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantKeithDined on 8/30/2014Great menu selection, excellent food, terrific service, reasonable prices, and very pleasant view or the Bay. Due to my hearing disability with noise sensitivity, we asked to be moved to a quieter table. The manager and staff were very accommodating and pleasant about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014Had the prawns and the chicken. The prawns were excellent. The chicken was good, but not on par with the prawns. Service was extremely slow at times. Our reservation was at 6:30 and the place was practically empty. From the time we finished eating till they cleared our plates was just under 20 min. Then another 10-15 before the waiter came to offer coffee or dessert. They had live music which was perfect. We didn't mind the wait due to the music and great conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good food, but....TimmyTDined on 8/25/2014I love this place, and this normally hasn't been my experience, but the hostess was a total B. Some young lady with dyed blonde hair with this total arrogance; no smile, no eye contact, downright rude. Unfortunately, you find that type of attitude at a lot of the fine dining places in Orange County, but I hadn't experienced it at Bayside. Hopefully she doesn't stick around for long.
- Worst Service I've ever received!DisappointedDined on 8/16/2014Our party of 4 arrived to the restaurant around 6:40 pm. We were seated right away in the corner patio with the view of the bay. Very lovely. The waitress came to the table and presented herself very aloof and sloppy. We ordered 2 MaiTai and 2 Pina Coladas, the 2 MaiTai were extremely strong and distasteful and the Pina Coladas were runny and also distasteful, not too go without mentioning that the first one I received had a black hair in it. We ordered and our food came out about an hour and 20 minutes later. Another guest from a different table complained about their wait for their meal. The bill was a total of $262, half of the food and most of the service were not worth the amount we paid. Left very disappointed.Special Features:
- Great as usual!JohnVIPDined on 8/16/2014Another wonderful dining experience! Food is excellent and service is top-notch!Special Features:
- Bayside has always good foodmaryannVIPDined on 8/14/2014Bayside has been one of my favorite restaurants since I moved to Newport Beach in 1996 for its consistently good foodSpecial Features:
- dundeeDined on 8/9/2014Our dinner the other night was wonderful. Servicewas great.Special Features:
- Wonderful surprise!FoodieGalDined on 8/8/2014We booked a special dinner at this restaurant for my daughter and her two best friends to celebrate heading off for college - they are all headed in different directions. We called ahead of time and asked to make the evening special for them. The staff did, and they really helped them have a lovely, lovely evening. So thank you!Special Features:
- DeliciousDietitianVIPDined on 8/5/2014Bayside is consistently excellent. When dining outside the traffic noise is loud therefore we'll stay inside on our next visit. We'll return soon especially for the New Orleans Bread Pudding which is worth any calories consumed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014The best fish entree (ocean trout) steel head that I have ever eaten. Service was fantastic. Great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceSGVDinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014This is our first visit and we enjoyed the entire experience. We ordered the crab cake, shrimp and crab salad and the Halibut which were all fresh, delicious and well presented. The venison was outstanding. We sat at the outdoor deck which is quiet and scenic while people who like music can enjoy the live performance inside the restaurant. We will surely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/29/2014Celebrating my birthday. Dinner and service were superb. Was planning to leave after dinner but enjoyed the live piano and stayed to enjoy the evening a little longer in the bar area. Food was delicious. Expect to be back.Special Features:
- SIMPLY THE BESTOCDINERVIPDined on 7/24/2014Bayside is the best restaurant in Orange County! The food and service is always excellent, no matter what you order. If you haven't dined here, you need to.Special Features:
- Remodeled gemEricDined on 7/21/2014Perfect place for a late night dinner. The food was excellent, my swordfish was done perfectly and the waitress knew exactly what we were describing for our wine preference and had very good recommendations. The "Piano Man" played old favorites but was not intrusive and it was easy to converse over him. Because it was late the restaurant was not full but I feel it might be noisy if it was close to booked. My husband loved the Venison. The waitress was definitely experienced and did an excellent job, she knew when to pour wine and check on us and when not to .She described the entrees very well and let us know how the chef prepares dishes. She was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experience.AaronDined on 7/21/2014My girlfriend and I went here for a special date in SoCal and was not let down. The Bayside has amazing food with a extremely trained wait staff. We could not have had a better experience. Our waitress recommended the rib-eye steak, which turned out to be a gift from the foodie gods. In addition to the rib-eye (5/5), we ordered the Shanghai Calamari (5/5), Smoked Salmon Flatbread (4/5), Venison with Potato Gnocchi (5/5). We had a great overall experience.Special Features:
- Bayside - Newport BeachSteakloverVIPDined on 7/19/2014Had another excellent dinner at Bayside this weekend. The atmosphere is very nice, although the music can be a little loud if you sit close to the piano. The service is very good. But, most importantly, the food is absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvnewyorkdiningLuvnewyorkdiningDined on 7/19/2014My husband & I had been traveling all day & dealing with cancelled flights, delays & airline personnel. We just wanted an early dinner in a relaxed atmosphere. At Bayside we got much more than that! The service was fantastic & the food was delicious. We shared both an appetizer & entree. They split the plates for us. The mussels were among the best I've ever eaten. The risotto was great & the chocolate cake delicious. We definitely will return before we leave.Special Features:
- Definitely a FanKatKDined on 7/18/2014Loved the food, service and musical entertainment!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 7/18/2014absolutely delicious!!!! crab cake was amazing as was the snow crab cocktail. went for lunch and would love to go back for dinner. wonderful service.Special Features:
- Great Dinning ExperienceLovetodineVIPDined on 7/15/2014Bayside is one of my favorite restaurants in the OC. Friendly, relaxed but yet sophisticated. There is a European feeling with very good food, attentive and professional service and a great wine list. You never feel rushed and there is the neighborhood feeling of a restaurant that wants you to come back often. A wonderful place for a quiet and relaxed lunch and with good live music every night.Special Features:
- Solid ChoiceMicMozVIPDined on 7/12/2014While Bayside may not be trendy, it delivers with comfortable well designed space, gracious service, and well prepared if predictable offerings. So it is not a good choice for foodies, but if you want a really well prepared meal with generous portion sizes this is a great choice. It's nice to have side dishes included with the main course and have those sides be well prepared. The lobster appetizer was great as was my rack of lamb and my wife's seafood pasta. All good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014The food was amazing both in flavors and presentation, but the service was not on par. We orered appetizers and felt rushed because the salads arrived before we had finished. Our waiter seemed oblivious. The busboy who was filling our water glasses did an outstanding job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014Our food was great and our server Jamie was one of the best all-around we've ever had. He is an experienced professional and his service made the dining experience one we will repeat soon.Special Features:
- WeebeastieDined on 7/9/2014Very interesting preparation and presentation of their food. The service is fun and very professional . The room has a nice buzz and a very good piano player near the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for business lunchbearcubsmomDined on 7/9/2014the pea risotto with shrimp was outstanding! Service was outstandingSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/8/2014Nice local restaurant and I always get a good meal there with a nice bar scene.Special Features:
- Good food but terrible serviceEastcoastNativeDined on 7/5/2014Some of the food was really good and some not so good. It took 45 minutes to get a menu and an hour before we got our initial drinks. The bread actually came out after the appetizers which were about 1.5 hours and when the main course finally came they brought 2 dishes from another table and completely missed a meal. The whole restaurant seemed to be running in slow motion. However some of the seafood was very good. I might go back just to see if it was the server or the whole operation that was that bad.
- paradise7Dined on 6/28/2014Food was great as always. The waiter we had was wonderful. I was there for a special occasion and it was and they handled it just right. I would recommend this to my friends.Special Features:
- Meal to remember!ShoshanaVIPDined on 6/28/2014Every course was outstanding. This restaurant won us over from the friendliness and professionalism of the staff to the delectable dishes. Try the bruschetta! The scallops were perfect (I'm very picky), and everything was beautifully prepared. We are already planning our next dinner at Bayside.Special Features:
- BunkerVIPDined on 6/27/2014We had a very enjoyable meal and good service. Music in bar a little loud but good jazz. Overall very good
- bayside beautfulJohnDined on 6/27/2014This was my first visit to the Bayside. It is a nicely decorated spot nestled in Newport. The bar looked like a hot spot and the live music from the piano sounded sweet. The staff was friendly and service was very good. We sat on the patio with a beautiful view of the bay. The food was outstanding and dessert yummy. I will definitely return and highly recommend the Bayside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An old-school placemarkVIPDined on 6/23/2014They get a "fair" because the food was very good. Everything else is stuck in the 80s and poor. Not good service, not good valet (didn't even want to give us a ticket!), dated appearance, server clothes actually quite gross and dirty looking (and smelling). Not a professional service staff at all - yet expensive menu items. Won't be back.Special Features:
- Finally tried out BaysideGotmeatDined on 6/21/2014My wife and I have heard great things about Bayside for years and finally tried it out. The service was impeccable and the food was exceptional. We will be back.Special Features:
- Beautiful with Terrific FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/21/2014I went to Bayside for dinner with my girlfriend and found a wonderful and elegant restaurant in the process. The restaurant is located almost in a residential area and is surrounded by tasteful piano bar music and high-standing cream drapes. My girlfriend and I are foodies and think that Bayside is a great romantic restaurant with solid service and a smile. We both had a nice bottle of wine (the restaurant has a nice wine list). I had the spicy crab cake and chicken. Both were moist and excellent. My girlfriend had the beet salad and paella. Both dishes were incredible, fresh and very solid. If you are looking for a laid back restaurant with high class feel and grace, Bayside is indeed a proven winner.Special Features:
- stilesVIPDined on 6/20/2014Always a fabulous meal. Both the compressed lobster salad and the tuna tartar among the best anywhere. The lamb and Venison are incomparable. And the jazz is a welcome addition.Special Features:
- thank youOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/20/2014went out for my birthday and very much enjoyed dinner, wine and the excellent entertainment!Special Features:
- Bayside Rocks!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2014Fine dining. Top notch service and food at extreme prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FATHERS DAYNewportSupDined on 6/15/2014I ALWAYS CONTEND THAT MOTHERS DAY AND FATHERS DAY ARE THE WORST DAYS TO GO BUT THAT BEING SAID THE FOOD WAS VERY GOOD. IT WAS VERY CROWDED SO THE STAFF WAS OVERWORKED BUT FOR A HOLIDAY I WAS VERY HAPPY. THEY HAVE GREAT SALADS AND OUR WAITRESS WAS VERY PLEASANT. IT WAS COLD ON THE PATIO THOUGH AND OUR HEATER DID NOT WORK..Special Features:
- Familiar neighborhood.MarkBVIPDined on 6/14/2014Bayside has a long standing relationship with the local neighborhood and Balboa residents, delivering consistent and familiar fare. Service is very good, very friendly and engaging. The food is pretty basic and "safe" but given the clientele doubtful the restaurant will get too adventurous and will continue to stick to a formula that works - my mother would definitely enjoy this place. The bar scene is pretty good, a few Tv's and a nice combo house band playing a mix of music.Special Features: