Bayou on Penn
2519 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Bayou on Penn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bayouonpenn.com/
- Phone: 2022236941
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 3:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern
- Executive Chef: Rusty Holman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Friday and Saturday nights the music starts at 10:30 with concerts featuring a rotating line-up of local and national acts.
A word from Bayou on Penn
For world class live music, New Orleans inspired cooking, and that laid back Big Easy vibe, there"s only one place in Washington DC to go. Located at 2519 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, just steps from the Foggy Bottom metro, Bayou brings together the award winning cuisine of executive chef Rusty Holman, hand crafted New Orleans cocktails, and a rotating line-up of both local and national recording artists. With two funky floors of dining and dancing, Bayou suits any occasion. Whether it's grabbing a quick po'boy at lunch, sitting down to a three course dinner, watching the game with a cold Abita, or grooving the night away in our intimate concert space, Bayou is DC's number one spot to laissez les bons temps rouler.Continued
Open for Lunch and Dinner Tuesday-Sunday
Brunch served Saturdays and Sundays.
Open for Lunch and Dinner Tuesday-Sunday
Brunch served Saturdays and Sundays.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bayou on Penn reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (43)fit for foodies (26)great for outdoor dining (24)great for lunch (24)good for groups (19)great for brunch (15)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (8)romantic (8)late-night find (7)special occasion (7)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Oustanding Food and DirinkstooteeldDined on 8/22/2014The food at this restaurant is fantastic and I had the best Hurricane ever! Bayou's food and drinks are a very close match to my dining experiences in New Orleans. I also liked the décor and I had no problem finding parking.Special Features:
- Loved it!!!BrightEyesDined on 8/16/2014Had a very nice time. We went for dinner prior to going to a performance at the Kennedy Center. It is not far from the Center at all. The service was superb. Would love to go again!!Special Features:
- New Orleans in DCOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Bayou brings the flavors of New Orleans to Washington! From the gumbo to the po-boys to the jumbalaya to the mussels, everything was excellent. Impressive selection of cocktails, wine, and beer. Waitress was very helpful about highlighting her favorite items on the menu. Restaurant was accommodating when a few members of our party needed to join us late.Special Features:
- Pre-Kennedy Center mealJobroDined on 8/9/2014Great restaurant to visit before a show at the Kennedy Center. I had the boudin balls as my appetizer and Jambalaya as the main course. The food was delicious. Afterwards we walked the 3-4 blocks to the Foggy Bottom Metro station and took a shuttle to the Kennedy Center to see Jerry Seinfeld. It was a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Wonderful Cajun Cuisine!DeeDeeDined on 8/9/2014We had a party of six meet there prior to an evening performance of The Lion King. The food was awesome! Everyone enjoyed their meal except for my husband who ordered the catfish. The portion was not the same size as another member of our party. We all laughed when he lifted up his tiny piece of fish and found one little leaf of a collard green. Two ordered the Salmon, which they said was excellent. One ordered the NY Strip and he said one of the best he's ever had. I had the Fried Chicken Breast, which was the bomb! Crispy and well seasoned on the outside, yet moist juicy on the inside. I look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Creole foodFoodieDined on 8/7/2014I had a chance to taste real creole food and I liked it! I was with company who lived in the Bayou and said this is a great find in the District.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bayouGreatVIPDined on 7/31/2014Good food and customer service. I want to go back for band night.Special Features:
- Fantastic and Fun PlacePrefer2forageDined on 7/29/2014The three of us loved our meals, excellent quality, and great service. Shrimp gumbo was supurb. We sat at the bar first and had good laughs with the bartender and excellent drinks. All employees had wonderful personalities and were very accommodating in every way. Casual and inviting atmosphere. Will return for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Cajun and creole eatsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2014Since my first visit to Bayou on Penn, is has become key place in my monthly restaurant rotation. Food and drink are outstanding. I visit the New Orleans often and the food at Bayou on Penn represents very well.Special Features:
- ajh425Dined on 7/12/2014New Orleans style restaurant had delicious food and an eccentric atmosphere. The server was friendly and attentive. Drinks on the menu were creative and even included a different take on the famous Hurricane drink from NOLA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Louisiana NativeblueboybobDined on 7/12/2014As a Louisiana native I am always on the lookout for good home food. After going to Bayou I am still looking. The Poboy was great, though Poboys are mostly bread and they don't make there own bread. The seafood was not plentiful like back home. For $20 I kind of expected a lot more shrimp. The Boudin balls had too much liver and no spice. I imagine these are bought frozen and just cooked in-house. The red beans were way too soupy. The "cajun" fries, wtf is "cajun" the seasoning sucked. Though I will go back just because of the poboy bread, but I wont get anything else.Special Features:
- Food was Good, Service was TerribleAllisonLDined on 7/11/2014The food was very good but did seem very overpriced. The service was terrible. The server would disappear for long periods of time and we had to wait almost 45 minutes to get our check after we were finished eating. In addition, I saved half of my meal to bring home and when the server took the plate to the kitchen to box it up, they lost it and I lost half of my meal with no apology or other offer to resolve the situation. For the price we paid, we expected much higher quality service.
- BayouOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/9/2014I am from Louisiana and it was great. Poboy especially great. Gumbo not great. Red beans average. But poboy awesome. Cocktails a nice taste of home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dumbed Down CajunpandapaVIPDined on 7/6/2014Backhouse Cajun food. If you thought Senator Long had lasted beyond his prime avoid this place. It feels like it was there when Foggy Bottom was a swamp. Just missing the gators. Not much spice. Not much layering of taste. Food was fresh. Beer was not cold enough. Several choices of Abita.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2014The food was great and the atmosphere was casual and fun. The staff was very knowledgeable about all the dishes and were very friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014The food was delicious with a nice southern flair . Nice comfortable atmosphere .Special Features:
- great Cajun cookingfoodieVIPDined on 6/25/2014At lunch the other day, my oyster po' boy was as it should be: large, juicy oysters under a crunchy crust, just the right amount of dressing, lettuce etc. My friend, a vegetarian, was very pleased with her fried green tomato po' boy. And we both loved the kale salad - in a creamy sesame dressing, chock full of peanuts. Service was warm and welcoming. I will return with pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Love This Place!!!!!FoodieVIPDined on 6/21/2014I live in CA. Eating at Bayou is a MUST whenever I am in DC (which is often)! Everything is deliciuos, but the fried green tomatoes are a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bayou on PennflobowcavsVIPDined on 6/15/2014Nice casual vibe with good food are the earmarks of Bayou. With one exception (the fried chicken which was over-cooked) all items were well cooked and seasoned. Waiter Chelsea was excellent. Despite the chicken will come back and give them another chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Cajun in west endfoodmanDined on 6/12/2014A great little place for Cajun/creole/fusion! Reasonable prices, great service, and creative cocktails.Special Features:
- Excellent food and ambiencean14jeDined on 6/12/2014The service was very good and the food was excellent. We had a cup of gumbo which was tasty, spicy and thick. For dinner, 1 of us had the salmon, top quality and 3 had jambalaya, which was a tasty plate of a great mix of flavors and seafood. Plenty to eat.Special Features:
- Great Gumbo!chitowntaraDined on 6/10/2014Loved the gumbo and kale salad. The rest of th table got po-boys and jambalaya which they all loved too. Cocktails were fun and they have ABITA and not just turbodog.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeButterfly42Dined on 6/6/2014Being from Louisiana I really appreciate the authenticity of the food. I have been for lunch and dinner and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Yummy FoodBlueGirlDined on 6/4/2014I was feeling a little nostalgic for New Orleans so we decided to hit this restaurant (first time) with a friend who was in town on business. The food was fantastic (the biscuits with whatever that butter was is to die for!,) as well as the service. It's a hopping place so this is definitely not a venue to go to if you want to talk quietly but it was a fun NOLA atmosphere with beads hanging from the ceiling. We will definitely be back when I have a craving for authentic Jambalaya or a Po Boy. Also, the cucumber tomato salad was awesome. I recommend!Special Features:
- WrightoneDined on 5/31/2014If you love Cajun, then this is the spot...drinks are pricey but overall, a great place to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food!Supersupper13Dined on 5/29/2014The terrific menu makes up for the waiting! I had the gumbo, jalapeño guts and jambalaya. Everything was great, and the hot sauces were tasty.Special Features:
- Great for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/29/2014Very welcoming atmosphere. Creole and jambalaya were very flavorful. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Naw'Leans Food!NiceFoodieVIPDined on 5/24/2014If you are looking for southern cuisine with that new orleans twist- try Bayou. I was really impressed with the food. I ordered shrimp and grits and the shrimp were huge and plentiful. My boyfriend ordered blackened catfish with collard greens that was extremely tasty. The place is small and quaint but has a nice flare to it. They also have live jazz on the weekends. I went over the holiday so I wasn't able to experience the music but I will be back again. Their brunch menu looked appealing too.Special Features:
- Great food, slow serviceMDchickDined on 5/15/2014A group of co-workers and myself work in the surrounding area and ventured to Bayou on Penn last week. The food was very tasty - well seasoned, good portion size and overall just good New Orleans style food. However, the service left a lot to be desired. It took roughly 30min to get our food (this was during the lunch hour, but the restaurant was nowhere near busy). Although the food was indeed good, it just took entirely too long to receive it. Additionally, the appetizer ended up coming with the food...too late.Special Features:
- PedestrianWillGoAgainDined on 5/11/2014The food was good, not great. I oredered the cajun fried chicken breast with collard greens and red beans & rice. The chicken was the best part of that meal. The greens were almost cold, the red beans & rice were underwhelming. My wife and I ordered the boudin balls, they were pretty good. We also ordered the tuna tartar - not worth a mention. My wife ordered the shrimp and grits and she enjoyed it. All in all, I wouldn't recommend this place for a special event, or even for the food selcetion, but I would recommend to someone who wants an average meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good South Louisiana foodLaughlinDined on 5/11/2014The Sazerac was the perfect beginning to a lovely family lunch. My jambalaya was delicious, correctly spiced despite its tomato base. Salmon and Ahi dishes were very well preparedand the Eggs Benedict worthy of praise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and excellent serviceBoboDined on 5/8/2014The service is excellent! Food is good, delicious. The only thing that is really annoying is the noise. People enjoying happy hour in the bar, they are super loud. So it you want to have quite time, don't come here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK, just OKScottaeatDined on 5/3/2014More of a bar feel than a restaurant. Food was ok, the creole was for the most part good, slight over cooking on the muscles but the biscuits on the side were pretty tasty. We had 2 little kids with us, no kids menu but they were kind enough to knock some stuff up which was appreciated. Staff friendlyish. I would come rushing back.
- Before or After The Kennedy CenterIlv2trvlDined on 5/2/2014Service was great, but food was just average. Found it to be a step above typical pub food. Fairly good Creole selection. Had ribs and they were tender but only mildly flavorful. Sauce was added after the fact. Sides were really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 410 reviews are from the Bayou on Penn reviews archive.
- Fried green tomatoes.3sumDined on 4/27/2014I found this spot on yelp and am very glad I chose to go. I go on a date night each Sunday with my loves and this place fit the bill. We walked in to a VERY GRACIOUS host. We were seated in a romantic booth that was roomy for the three of us. Everything we ordered was delectable. Our waitress was the absolute BEST! Her smile was infectious, she was knowledgeable about the food and drinks and most of she was very attentive. We were her last customers of the.night, yet she made us feel like her first. I can't wait to go back again. The overall experience was GREAT!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodDessertAnoGoDined on 4/19/2014Food was really good an authentic. If you go late it's best to have reservations because you are then able to sit upstairs and away from the in and outs of the front door activity. The band at 1030 was decent - a little too honky tonk for my liking but a good sound nonetheless.Special Features:
- Washington DC tripmisspreea78VIPDined on 4/13/2014The menu was great and they had the best crawfish cheesecake that we only could find in New Orleans. The salads are enjoy for two . Lots of choicesSpecial Features:
- Authentic New Orleans FoodPhillygirl1807Dined on 4/12/2014Had reservations for 6 people. Everyone enjoyed the food. Place was a bit noisy. There were holding a private party upstairs, so we had to eat near the bar. Will certainly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great stuffgaryDined on 3/29/2014This place brings me right back to New Orleans where I could find Abita everywhere. Great food, even better service. Will be back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place to grab a biteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014A great place to grab a bite to eat before a game! We were in and out with plenty of time to get to the Verizon Center downtown. Great food and service!! Everyone in our party of four left satisfied with the meal and service. The biscuits and the sweet butter are delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.