430 Dauphine Street
New Orleans, LA 70114Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bayona.com/
- Phone: 5045254455x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 1:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: Starting at 6:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Susan Spicer
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: All details regarding lunch and dinner parties as well as sample contracts can be found at the Bayona website.
A word from Bayona
Bayona, in its 22nd year, is nestled in the heart of the French Quarter in a charming 200 year old Creole Cottage punctuated by a lush, tropical courtyard. The cuisine of our James Beard Award winning Chef Susan Spicer is rooted in France, circles the globe for inspiration, and lands firmly in New Orleans to embrace the wealth of our local bounty and rich cuisine. Chef Spicer's partner Regina Keever has assembled a staff that is dedicated to expertly guiding you through your wine list and menu choices in order to seamlessly serve you in a knowledgeable, unpretentious, and professional manner. Regina and Susan would like to cordially invite you to join us and experience for yourself the atmosphere, cuisine, and service of one of New Orleans great gifts to the culinary world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Bayona - Best Restaurants in French Quarter ›
Bayona reviews from OpenTable diners
253 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (185)special occasion (164)romantic (153)notable wine list (99)neighborhood gem (97)great for lunch (69)great for outdoor dining (61)great for brunch (42)good for groups (32)hot spot (24)scenic view (16)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Best of New OrleansDarrenMuseDined on 9/27/2014From the second I stepped into Bayona, I knew I was in for a special experience. Phenomenal service and amazing cuisine. I had the peppered loin of lamb and it was likely the best food I've had in New Orleans...and that's saying something! James Beard winner, so you know you can't go wrong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST OF THE CRESCENT CITY!bayareatransplantDined on 9/27/2014Bayona is a terrific restaurant - no surprise it's currently celebrating its 24th anniversary. We've come here each time we've visited New Orleans over the past twenty years and it has never failed to exceed our expectations. The service is friendly, attentive and helpful without being overly solicitous. Weather permitting, the outdoor courtyard is a wonderful spot. The food is amazing - on this, our most recent visit, we had two of their classic dishes, the cream of garlic soup and the sweetbreads, as well as one of their daily specials, the hanger steak - WOW! Their mixologist concocts some of the most interesting signature cocktails - the gin-based "Fascinator" is a perfect start to a great meal. Bayona Rocks!!Special Features:
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/26/2014We got to the restaurant for a late dinner and waited for over 15 minutes for our waiter to come over. The man only had a few other tables, but spent all his time chatting at his five person table. Another waiter came over at least three times prompting us for our wine selection, but we couldn't make that choice until we decided to fish or meat. When he did come by he was brief and not very personable. Overall, a very poor experience for us .
- Better Late Than NeverWhoknewVIPDined on 9/25/2014After 15 years of twice-a-year visits to New Orleans, we finally tried Bayonna. Wish we could reclaim those other 30 trips. The food, setting, and service were excellent. Best meal we've ever had in the French Quarter.Special Features:
- Nice but overrated & overpricedMNWesDined on 9/24/2014On special occasions,we always choose a local restaurant that we've never been and we never look at the menu ahead of time.We were pleasantly surprised by the ambiance and enjoyed dining outside in the courtyard.Thank goodness it was a breezy, non-humid night in September. We had trouble understanding a lot of the food on the menu. We were very surprised at the limited selection of entrees. We selected two appetizers and were completely unsure of what they really were, but we did enjoy them. I really didn't have a choice in entrees because of all of them (6), I only found one that fit my preference (fish) versus two of my partner (duck & fish). So, for not being wowed by the meal, I thought $180.00 for the two of us was very expensive.Special Features:
- Not up to parOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/2014We sat in the courtyard which was lovely. We ordered drinks and appetizers which were very good. The sweetbreads app was excellent. Two of our party liked their entrees but my son got the rabbit stuffed with boudin. He said that there was too much onion in the boudin stuffing (and he likes onion). I had the pompano special with beets and pomegranate. I love pompano and can't say that I've ever had it badly prepared in New Orleans, but this was weird. The fish was presented upside down, skin side up which made it hard to eat. Not a good combination of flavors. The fish was a little overcooked as well. The other problem was service. We had to flag down another waiter to get drinks. Not good for this type of restaurant.Special Features:
- Elegant and interestingdebhallDined on 9/22/2014This is a beautiful restaurant in the middle of the French Quarter. Lots of the expected formal classical touches in the decoration and table setting. It was nice to see the chef, Susan Spicer, going around and visiting tables. The waitstaff was very attentive and knowledgeable. Everything we had was well done. I ordered the Bayona salad as I was needing some fresh greens and found it a bit boring, nice lettuce, fresh taste, but nothing special. I tasted my partner's sweetbread appetizers and thought it was delicious. My duck entree was well prepared and my partner's rabbit stuffed with boudin was excellent. We were both pleased with our dining experience here.Special Features:
- Wouldn't Go BackNotNewOrleansToDieForFoodDined on 9/20/2014There was only one thing on the menu that appealed to me and I must say it was wonderful. The others in my group had flounder; not exceptional. Food, in general, to "new school" for this seasoned New Orleanian. It is a very nice facility and the staff is excellent, just not my type of food. However, I would recommend the braised pork, it was exceptional, but not the strange vegetable. The Ceasar Salad was different but very good.
- The best of New OrleansBrockoloBinTrabucoCanyonDined on 9/20/2014I have dined here six times before and have never been disappointed with Bayona's staff, their amenities, the food, etc. Just an overall ideal place QUIET in the French Quarter. A few patrons might have taken care to dress accordingly, but the warm atmosphere overshadowed the rough and rowdy guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You NEED to make a reservation.KerrynDined on 9/20/2014Two of my girlfriends and I dined at Bayona for a lovely birthday dinner. Our beyond wonderful server, Jane, insisted and I mean INSISTED that we get the sweetbreads as a starter and I have never been more thankful for anything in my entire life. Absolutely delicious. Also to start, we got the scallops which were cooked to perfection and a delish salad with grapes and ricotta. Entrees of hanger steak and flounder nicely followed our grand start and we closed with two decadent desserts. I can't remember the exact name of the dessert, but it was basically and elegant take on the s'more. One of my friends claimed that as her own and devoured every bite. I thought she might actually lick the plate. Needless to say, just go and order everything.Special Features:
- Special occasion!ChrisDined on 9/19/2014Perfect restaurant for a special occasion. 2nd visit to this place. Some permanent items on the menu, the all time best for this place (rabbit, sweetbreads, shrimp with black bean cakes). Has also a selection of "in season specials". However, desserts are disappointing. Very short and not very creative selection. I was expecting better from this type of restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!vintara123Dined on 9/18/2014This was our first visit to Bayona. Food was excellent and service was even better. An enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food a 4, Dessert a 5CAdinerDined on 9/17/2014The entree was excellent, but not quite exceptional. The dessert however was quite exceptional. We will have to return and try other entrees and see if we just happened to order the 4 star ones. Would order the apple tart every time. Apparently a new pastry chef- kudos to him/her.Special Features:
- SuzanneDined on 9/13/2014Really good food, extremely good table service, but a bizarre reaction when told by us and two other tables near by how cold we were in the restaurant. They offered us pashminas and wouldn't touch the temperature. When my mother told the manager we didn't order dessert because of how cold it was, they said they kept the temperature at 74 degrees (no way) and that was it. There was no apology or anything else. It was weird because we had such good service from the wait staff, and it clearly was not only our table that was having difficulty.Special Features:
- AmazingJimboDined on 9/12/2014Wonderful service and top notch food. Susan came to our table and helped my mother with her crutches. She is very caring and she is a great chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Love2eatDined on 9/12/2014Bayona was the first restaurant that came to mind for a special dinner with friends. The classics are still as good as the first time I had them years ago and the specials were unlike anything on any menu around town, and always delicious!! Service was professional & efficient. This is truly a local gem that stays true to itself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyableMknAWave504VIPDined on 9/12/2014Hard to believe Bayona has been there 24 years! The favorites are as good as ever, and the specials are pretty darn good too. My waiter could have been better as he seemed a bit bored and tired but we all have our off days I guess. Have been before and will go again! 20 year Nola resident and self proclaimed foodie.Special Features:
- To die for!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2014Bayona was amazing an excellent experience!!! The cream of garlic soup is one of the best things either of us had ever tasted! Our waitress Jane was unbelievable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExceptionalUptownFoodieDined on 9/11/2014My boss and her husband were in town for the weekend, so I decided to start their foodie experience with dinner at Bayona. As I hoped, we weren't disappointed! I've lived in New Orleans for a couple of years now and enjoyed Bayona a couple of times. The restaurant NEVER disappoints. Susan Spicer and her culinary team always prepare and present an outstanding meal, from salads and soups to the sweets after dinner...lest I forget an outstanding menu of main dishes, both classics and a daily list of special entrees. The wine list is also terrific. I can't recommend Bayona enough.Special Features:
- A favorite placeGofigrDined on 9/11/2014We visit Bayona every time we visit New Orleans. On this occasion rated 3 stars for Service due to a couple of entries on our bill which we did not order. Correction was quick and without issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always PerfectBettyDined on 9/10/2014Bayona knows how to feed and treat their guests. Food is always wonderful and creative, flavors are always perfectly balanced. The service is impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KloveDined on 9/6/2014We were seated upstairs. It felt like we were in a completely different restaurant and we possibly had the worst table available. The wait staff upstairs were definitely the 'B Team'. The food was very good, but the service and ambience were not at the same level.Special Features:
- Entire experience unsurpassable!EnjoygreatdiningDined on 9/6/2014Glorious experience! Quail & pear salad a special treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another amazing meal!WIfoodie27Dined on 9/6/2014Another of the best meals we had while in New Orleans! We were seated in the upstairs of the building. All of the decor was beautifully done. Our 2 waitstaff were awesome! Trovell was SO knowledgeable about the menu. He gave great recommendations & descriptions of the menu. Our drinks were great--my husband had a few of the beers on their list & I had the stormy morning drink. We enjoyed everything we ordered--the quail salad, yuzu crab custard, chile-dusted duck & tamale, the special rabbit roulade, PB & raspberry jam tart with ice cream and the chocolate mousse cake with sorbet. Nothing else to say but AMAZING! If you're in New Orleans & looking for a restaurant for a special occasion or just a delicious meal, look no further than Bayona!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/5/2014amazing sweetbreads, everything else was pretty good tooSpecial Features:
- A Lovely EveningDCDad12Dined on 9/5/2014Bayona was absolutely lovely. We arrived early and were seated in their small lounge while our table was being prepared. We were waited on promptly and selected drinks from their list of signature cocktails. The dining room was intimate and warm and the server helpful and professional. We selected the Grilled Shrimp with Black Bean Cake and the Bayona Salad for our starters. For our entrees we had the Wild Alaskan Salmon and the Peppered Lamb Loin. Everything was outstanding -- a 5 star experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The long road to an average mealDCdoesNOLADined on 9/5/2014We were considering Bayona for a rehearsal dinner for our destination wedding, so we booked a table for Friday night while we were in NOLA for wedding planning. We were seated quickly but had to be moved because the overhead lights were blinding. The painters had sealed the can lights so they couldn't be adjusted. We happily moved and ordered wine. The servicer was incredibly knowledgable about the menu and food prep but the overall service was very very slow. We still didn't have our food two hours after being seated. When it finally arrived, it was tastey but no better than another other mid to high end restaurant in NOLA and without the charm. The bill was high but our experience was on the lower end.Special Features:
- Always AmazingFoodFansDined on 9/1/2014One of the best restaurants in New Orleans. The atmosphere, food and service are stellar. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!Special Features:
- Worth the waitSimpleBumpkinDined on 9/1/2014Do not go in to Bayona expecting a quick meal. The service is friendly yet dreadfully slow, although that may be by design as they mentioned that the chef and owner stressed a slow eating style. That said, every thing we ordered was well worth the wait. For an appetizer, we went with the prosciutto wrapped asparagus that was fantastic with a little risotto with it. The crispy quail salad was so smoky and delicious, with a surprising amount of meat with the salad and the spicy pecans were a great touch. I had boudin stuffed rabbit with a fried leg. I could not say enough good things about this. My gf had the duck. The tamale with mole was out of this world. Some of the best mole I've ever had. Waiter made a great wine recommendation.Special Features:
- Great entrees. Desserts ehhhSDKSanDiegoDined on 8/30/2014Our appetizers were delightful and not too filling. Salad was prepared incorrectly at first but corrected quickly. Wait staff was spotty. The main waiter was attentive but his assistant did not fill in where he should have. The entree was great and interesting. The assistant waiter actually served the entree while my husband had excused himself to the men's room.The main waiter did ask how the entree was and if it was prepared correctly. The dessert though was just awful though recommended by the main waiter. We left 90% of it and the waiter did not ask once if we enjoyed it. He was ready to rush us out the door at the end of our meal. All in all not out of the park and the restaurant was not packed. I'd give it a B+ at best for price.Special Features:
- ExperienceTriniVIPDined on 8/30/2014My sister was visiting from out of country, she was extremely impressed with the flavour of the food, friendliness and professionalism.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointingWillyTDined on 8/29/2014we were recommended this place by friends who visited several years ago. I was underwhelmed by the experience, food in my view was no better than ok, nice dining room but no flowers or even a candle on tables, background music too loud in my view. Trading on reputation I think. as an example, much emphasis on home made ice cream and sorbets but only 3 ice creams offered, none of which was fruit based, and only one sorbet. again , it was not fruit. the choc icecream we selected was ok but I make better at home. We went to a local bistro the day after - Louisiana Bistro - which was really excellent and good value and then to August which although slightly more expensive than Bayona was far better and much better value.
- Going back again and againMareksmomDined on 8/29/2014The service was superb, the food killer. Be sure and have tea with your dessert for a sensational end. If I lived in NOLA I'd be a regular.Special Features:
- Excellent VisitZameseDined on 8/29/2014Excellent food, service and atmosphere. Our favorite atmosphere in NOLA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Had the $25 lunch special. Amount of food was sparse but we enjoyed what we ate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceMYTouristDined on 8/28/2014We went for lunch, and the 24 cent martinis! The dining room is lovely, setting the stage for the dining experience. The service was very good, and the food was exceptional. It sounds strange, but do not miss the Smoked Duck PB&J. It is out of this world.Special Features:
- Great as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014Bayona never fails to impress. Great service, great food, great ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressed!MelsieDined on 8/27/2014I was excited to dine here and was so disappointed in the food. The crouton was good and the quail salad also was good. The restaurant was empty, yet they stuffed us all in one area so that every time a server walked by they bumped my chair. They brought me the wrong wine, but that was no big deal to me. Our server was average, but I like a server that seems happy. When I told them I did not like my salmon they asked if I wanted anything else and took it off the bill.
- Bayona bestmomoDined on 8/27/2014Bayona's food has always been fantastic and their martinis are the best. We love going there every time we go to New Orleans.Special Features:
- Delicious!Eatnola38Dined on 8/23/2014I enjoyed every sip and bite! The sommelier was quite helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.