430 Dauphine Street
New Orleans, LA 70114Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bayona.com/
- Phone: (504) 525-4455
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 1:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: Starting at 6:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Susan Spicer
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: All details regarding lunch and dinner parties as well as sample contracts can be found at the Bayona website.
A word from Bayona
Bayona, in its 22nd year, is nestled in the heart of the French Quarter in a charming 200 year old Creole Cottage punctuated by a lush, tropical courtyard. The cuisine of our James Beard Award winning Chef Susan Spicer is rooted in France, circles the globe for inspiration, and lands firmly in New Orleans to embrace the wealth of our local bounty and rich cuisine. Chef Spicer's partner Regina Keever has assembled a staff that is dedicated to expertly guiding you through your wine list and menu choices in order to seamlessly serve you in a knowledgeable, unpretentious, and professional manner. Regina and Susan would like to cordially invite you to join us and experience for yourself the atmosphere, cuisine, and service of one of New Orleans great gifts to the culinary world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Bayona - Best Restaurants in French Quarter ›
Bayona reviews from OpenTable diners
320 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (238)special occasion (198)romantic (173)neighborhood gem (138)notable wine list (125)great for outdoor dining (109)great for lunch (63)great for brunch (33)good for groups (30)hot spot (27)scenic view (19)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Happy anniversaryFoodmonkieDined on 11/22/2014Bayona has become our regular anniversary spot and this was another great year. Food was delicious; service was outstanding without being fussy and hover-y. We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real GemCaboroxyDined on 11/22/2014Bayona for lunch in the garden came highly recommended, it was a real treat and we will certainly return when in New Orleans again. They have fans for life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old World EclecticJRPjrDined on 11/21/2014I had not been here in a long time. It was very elegant on an old French Quarter street. We were looking for unusual food and we got it. Rabbit, Duck, Sweetbreads, Scallops, Garlic Soup. All very good and very interesting. You will not regret trying this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still wonderful!BookieVIPDined on 11/17/2014This was our second time eating at Bayona; the first was almost 20 years ago, and I still remember my meal with joy. This was also terrific. We had a mix of "classic" and contemporary dishes, and all were delicious. The mains were particular standouts: a rabbit roulade with mortadella was superb, the meat juicy and flavors strong. Lamb loin was also really flavorful. Each plate was copious and well balanced between meat, sides, and sauce. Our server suggested a wine that went very well, and the service was mostly excellent. (One issue was that he forgot to put in an order for an extra bread item.We almost cancelled it when it was not forthcoming, but I'm glad we didn't: the sweet potato brioche were excellent. And because of the glitch, he took it off the bill.) I hope I don't wait another 20 years to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You can do much better in NOLAJeannenepVIPDined on 11/15/2014We've eaten seriously and well in New Orleans. But not here. Service was poor from the moment we walked in the door. Cocktails ordered in the waiting area were delivered 35 minutes later when we were finally seated. Appetizers were fine. Main courses arrived, without apology 45 minutes later, well after our wine had been consumed in desperation, whilst cold air was blasted upon us because the air conditioner was turned up inexplicably. The only service expertise? Avoiding eye contact. At no time did anyone apologize or update us on the status of our order until we demanded that they do so. We paid check and left. No one said good-bye. We will not return.
- bonesVIPDined on 11/15/2014We were seated a bit late-it was so cold that they couldn't use the patio. None the less the food was wonderful. The quail salad is a classic, nicely crisp with a flavorful complements of greens. The duck and lamb both nicely prepared. It would be nice to have a valet parking arrangement. It is the quarter and very hard to find a place on Saturday night. Our server was so much fun wish I caught her name-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceDeirdreDined on 11/15/2014Our server was personable and very helpful when asked for menu suggestions. She was patient while we took awhile to make decisions. My companions had never been to New Orleans previously, so Bayona put their visit over the top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday 3 course specialAndyDined on 11/15/2014For such high quality food at $25 one of the great deals in dining in New Orleans .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome pre-theatre diningARF118Dined on 11/14/2014Excellent menu. Catered to every need. Food was excellent. Perfect complement before going to the theatre!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EWLDODined on 11/14/2014WAS A BIT DISSAPOINTED BASED ON THE REPUTATION. EVERYTHING WAS GOOD, BUT NOT GREAT. NOTHING STOOD OUT.
- Baying misses in their presentaionnicrakeDined on 11/11/2014We enjoyed the food especially the lamb but please plate the food in a more attractive manner. The crab special was monochromatic. White crab whith white slaw on a barely visible beige pancake. Shrimp appetizer on a large plate so they were a good three inches apart making it look very sparse. And I am sure their method of service works well for the waiters in the tight space. But for a customer spending a large sum it seemed perfunctory.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/10/2014It was my first but not my last time to visit New Orleans and I had studied the Lonely Planet guidebook which gave outstanding reviews to Bayona. We had an excellent experience and memorable food and wine at this superior restaurant in a beautiful 200 year old cottage in a quiet area of the French Quarter. Service was skilled and friendly which was a good combination. I look forward to another visit to New Orleans and would include Bayona on my next visit as a priority!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- snptsDined on 11/8/2014The restaurant was lovely. A very pretty room with beautiful flowers. The luncheon was delicious. Some "small plates" were very small. (Especially the sea scallop dish that was really 1 scallop.) However the presentation and flavor were delightful. The wine selection was good and pleasant for an afternoon meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was a +;Background music minusbamarphDined on 11/7/2014We returned to Bayona after a long absence after being insulted by a rude server. The food was as fantastic. Delicious, great presentation. We were not very pleased by our table in the "attic". Our server was top notch; he knew the menu and made on the spot recommendations. My pork chop with a coating of black pepper was special as were the brussel sprouts. A friend had pompano that raved over. Our wives both had the lamb dish, which judging by how little was on their plates was a hit. The biggest minus of our evening was the location of a speaker about 12 inches from my head in a wine storage cabinet. I love Motown music but that was not what we wanted to hear during our dinner especially as loud as it was.Special Features:
- Return tripFindafeastDined on 11/7/2014We had visited Bayona several years ago and were eager to return. The restaurant has a lot of charm. The chef was participating in a special event and perhaps that accounted for a bit of an uneven dining experience. The service seemed slow and there was an issue with one of the courses. They were apologetic and made proper amends. A bit of a disappointment but I would go again.Special Features:
- Outstanding DinnerDemoChicDined on 11/7/2014Really enjoyed Bayona. Our table had steak, pork, rabbit, and lamb entrees and all were outstanding. Wine list included offerings from a somewhat obscure winery we had visited in Australia. The only potential issue was the service, had to ask twice for bread (which is by request already anyway) and they had difficulty properly serving the member of our party that was sandwiched into the corner of the dining room.Special Features:
- Meal was fantasicOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/7/2014We spent a long weekend in New Orleans, and our meal at Bayona was one of the highlights of the weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Suestore1Dined on 11/6/2014This was to be our special night out for our 30 th anniversary and it did not disappoint! We loved the interesting flavors used in each of the dishes. Innovative spicing and pairing of ordinary and unusual ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't disappoint!LuluDined on 11/6/2014Haven't been able to get in for years - made sure this time in NOLA and it was as great as I remembered!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant night on the townBaxinNolaDined on 11/6/2014Bayona is a great restaurant not that far off Canal Street and close to theaters, shopping etc. The wine list was extensive and the red that we chose was a blend of three different wines and quite tasty. The breads and pickled vegetables that were brought out before the main courses were excellent. My wife and I had the chile-dusted duck breast with the tamale and Oaxacan mole and the steak with potatoes, haricot vert and bearnaise sauce. All were succulent, tasty, and well prepared. Even though we were late for our reservation, the staff was accommodating and very polite. A definite go to for a romantic meal or special occasion.Special Features:
- Serene courtyard dining gemBirdVIPDined on 11/6/2014A peaceful refuge in the French Quarter-- The best meal we had in our 4 days in Nola-- talented hands-on chef creatively cooking with the freshest local ingredients-- one of the best meals we have enjoyed in 6 mos-- includes Wash DC, San Francisco.Special Features:
- Perhaps an off night?CarlaVIPDined on 11/5/2014Charming restaurant with different rooms and a lovely outside patio. Our table was not ready when we arrived, so we were seated in a very nice lounge area where a hostess offered to take our cocktail order. Upon being seated, we had water and menus brought immediately but had to flag down a manager 15 minutes later when no one bothered to return. Apparently, there was some confusion. The pompano special was lovely and the lamb good but there was no wow factor. The food was presently attractively and the server who finally helped us was quite friendly. It was good but could have been better. We'll give them the benefit of another try on a less busy night. Carla, www.ACoupleofKidds.comSpecial Features:
- Amazing service, delicious!BrazilnutDined on 11/5/2014Our server was absolutely amazing - she knew the menu inside and out, recommend excellent pairings, was entirely enthusiastic and proud of the food she served, and good humored. She made the experience. We even let her choose our menu! One in our party is a vegetarian and the server and chef welcomed the challenge. The meal they prepared for my vegetarian friend was extremely good and welcomed after several days in a non-vegetarian-friendly town. The cocktails were the perfect balance of flavors and not too sweet. The small plates were my favorite.Special Features:
- Charming old worldNODinerVIPDined on 11/3/2014Excellent continental menu with a wide variety of wonderful offerings, some not normally available in New Orleans. Patio dining available on pretty weather days. Very good dining experience; wine list is priced in the middle.Special Features:
- Epic Culinary FeastOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014We were informed by a local that Bayona was a must do whilst in New Orleans, and I am ecstatic that we dined here. The service was perfect, both of our wait staff were knowledgable regarding the menu and wine list and we received attentive and personalised service without feeling like we were being rushed at any stage. Bayona is certainly one of New Orleans finest dining spots and we will definitely be back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, but expected moreLUV2EATnolaDined on 11/1/2014We enjoyed our dinner, but we were hoping for and unbelievable dining experience. Seating is a little tight (felt somewhat claustrophobic).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/30/2014I have been to Bayona many times and I am never disappointed. Always great service and amazing food. Already hankering for the duck pb&j sandwich!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative CreoleextremehumanoidDined on 10/30/2014Part of that class of relative cuisines that continue to evolve from Creole, with wonderful flavors and attention to detail.Special Features:
- Great French Qtr Restaurantwgr62Dined on 10/30/2014Really worth going to Bayona in the French Qtr. An amazing place, with a great staff, really interesting preparations, marvelous ambience, etc, etc. My wife and i loved it and when we return to NOLA next year will revisit Bayona.Special Features:
- Unique MenulakewolfeVIPDined on 10/30/2014Absolutely a locals favorite. Exceptional and unique menu. Had amazing sweet bread appetizer and lamb entry. Beautiful garden, very romantic on a warm NOLA night. Excellent service.Special Features:
- Not recommendedFoodie1Dined on 10/30/2014Food was mediocre at best. Limited, uninspired selection Decor was tired. Service average. Certainly much much better to choose from in the French quarter.
- Enjoyed dinner on the patioOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/29/2014It is unusual in NOLA to be able to dine outside but got lucky recently on a very pleasant night and was able to dine al fresco in the lovely patio. Dinner was delicious as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bayona Was NirvanaThinkConnieLDined on 10/29/2014Beautiful setting! From the street, we entered a garden area through an iron gate, and were promptly greeted and seated (in the courtyard) for our 6P reservations. The courtyard featured twinkling lights, fountains, lush plants, and star-shaped lanterns. It was comfortable and lovely. We were greeted by an owner and then by our server. The owner took time to review the menu with us, highlighting the evening's featured entrees and small plate dishes. From start to finish, it was an amazing dining experience. Beautiful presentation, appropriate portion size, everything prepared to perfection. I had wild Alaskan salmon and it was like butter. So good! The chocolate mousse cake for dessert was divine. We loved Bayona so much, we're going back.Special Features:
- One of best in New OrleansDavidDined on 10/28/2014Dined at dinner, a couple, upon recommendation of our hotel. No disappointments here. The restaurant is frequented by locals so that is a good sign in our book. Food, service and ambience are very good. Very good wine menu. There is a terrace for outdoor dining. Book a reservation for certain.Special Features:
- ExcellentnpmyycDined on 10/27/2014The food, servcie, ambiance are all excellent. Would definitely recommend for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal and servicecarolynwDined on 10/25/20143 words-Get the sweetbreads. Dinner was fantastic, service was personable, drinks from the bar were a little slow to be delivered.Special Features:
- FANTASTIC!MeatloafVIPDined on 10/25/2014Wow. We loved our night here. I was hesitant based on other reviews. Don't know what they were thinking. Perhaps the restaurant took note and made a difference? Regardless, it was awesome. The menu was great and made the choices hard. The food was incredible and perfectly cooked. Our waitress was a lot of fun and really hustled. The best of the night was a sweetbread appetizer. Nonetheless, the rabbit and pork chop were very impressive. We really enjoyed the atmosphere and felt like we were someplace unique within the French Quarter. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ten stars!!!KeydetDined on 10/24/2014Took my wife here for our 12 year anniversary. Service was outstanding and the food was even better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem that needs polishAmandaKDined on 10/22/2014I really, really wanted to like this experience. My husband, a chef, is a big fan of Susan Spicer. Regrettably, the dining experience I had with work colleagues only had glimpses of the classic this spot once was. The interior needs a lot of care and refresh. It felt dated and faded. We waited quite a while for our reservation, the service was inconsistent, and the food was also highly inconsistent. The salads were not dressed and had to be sent back. The entrees were good but came very late. There was nothing on the dessert list that was even tempting by the time we made it to that point. We left...tired and underwhelmed.
- Deja vuMungDined on 10/20/2014I surprised my girlfriend with a return to Bayona, where we had our first date 3 years ago. The service was fantastic, great selection of beer and champagne, and a wide variety of apps for sharing. We sat on the patio and the temp was rare and cool for LA. Overall, a really nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.