223 Twin Dolphin Dr
Redwood City, CA 94065Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bay223sf.com/
- Phone: 6505087126x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday to Sunday:6:00am - 11:00am Lunch: Monday to Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm Dinner: Monday to Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French American, French
- Executive Chef: Alejandro Abad
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Bay223
Bay223 displays a warm and vibrant decor featuring contemporary Bay Area French cuisine. The chef's specialties at Bay223 offer an exquisite blend of local ingredients and flavors. The menu is known for its creative and balanced selection carrying French and Californian influences. The relaxed neighborhood feeling is enhanced by a magnificent vista of the lagoon. For that special occasion, be sure to reserve theContinued
exclusive private dining room accommodating up to 14 people. Bay223 also features a high-energy, WiFi, full service bar. Bay223 is located in the
Hotel Sofitel San Francisco Bay.
exclusive private dining room accommodating up to 14 people. Bay223 also features a high-energy, WiFi, full service bar. Bay223 is located in the
Hotel Sofitel San Francisco Bay.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Bay223 - Best Restaurants in Redwood City ›
Bay223 reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (9)good for groups (8)great for lunch (8)special occasion (7)scenic view (6)fit for foodies (5)romantic (5)neighborhood gem (5)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Good lunch spotJonMDined on 7/14/2014Bay 223 is located inside Hotel Sofitel. Food and service are both above average and it's located next to the Hotel Bar. Sofitel's hotel bar is the best in the area.Special Features:
- Should have been fore-warnedOnoliciousVIPDined on 7/5/2014I made reservations at this restaurant because of our previous experience there - we loved the ambiance of the dining room, so thought it would be a good choice to celebrate my husband's 82nd birthday. When we arrived, we discovered there was a fund-raising event going on with people hollering & running around and LOUD music blasting throughout the foyer and lounge area. Since we had reservations in the dining room, we thought it must be quieter there. WRONG! because the dining room was closed for the event, and the only dining was outside the main dining room, where all the noise was being generated. Our plans for a quiet & intimate dinner was a disaster; we could hardly hold a conversation above the noise of the music.
- Superb Light CuisinergbtooDined on 6/2/2014It's a hotel restaurant (albeit the Sofitel is not just any hotel), so honestly I had low to modest expectations. I was wrong. The cuisine is inspired! It is light and elegant. It has become a frequent destination for my wife and I for a romantic night out, and for me as a business dinner destination. I have not found any other restaurant in a modest radius that has such interesting food and yet the food is health conscious, devoid of heavy sauces and excessive garnish. Bay 223 is a French de-lite.Special Features:
- Expensive but excellent brunch!AlanDined on 6/1/2014There aren't too many places offer good brunch buffet in the Bay Area. Bay223 is one of the best! The food is very good, the environment is outstanding! Just wish the price was more affordable.Special Features:
- Great food, seating kinda meh...BayeaterDined on 5/25/2014Restaurant says the brunch starts at 11 am, but we can only get reservations for 11:30. There were tons of tables ready, but it took them 10 minutes to finally seat us, and we were the only ones there. There was a private function where the food normally was, so they had it in a side ballroom which was spacious, but then it didn't open until noon. Some of the servers are very attentive and friendly, while others are not, so it's hit and miss. Food and selection were pretty good though.
- Mother's Day Brunchasdfghjkl12345Dined on 5/11/2014We (party of 5) came here for Mother's day brunch buffet. There was a bit of confusion about the pricing but it was ok. It was expensive at $75/person, so I would only come here for days when you're willing to splurge on food that's not quite so special. It was a decent buffet with the traditional egg stations, salad, etc. I do wish they had a wider variety of pastries and that they had more options for beverages. The food was pretty good. I especially liked the corn and tomato salad, the chicken, the variety of fresh fruits, and the desserts! Only issue with service is that there was a long line to be seated, despite reservations. It took about 30 minutes just to be seated even though we arrived on time. Overall, a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than stellar this time aroundcaribthDined on 5/7/2014I've dined at Bay223 a few times and have always had a good experience, however, this time it was rather lackluster. We actually arrived a few minutes early for our reservation because we couldn't seem to catch the cocktail waitress's eye in the lounge and figured we'd order a drink at the table. We ordered drinks and bread was served, however it took upwards of 20 minutes before our drinks arrived. Pacing was slow, overall the food was good with the exception of my scallops - they were fishy, hard and too salty. I took one bite. The waiter cleared my plate along with everyone else that finished, didn't inquire about my meal (or why I didn't eat it) and at that point, we were just tired and ready to leave.Special Features:
- The following 158 reviews are from the Bay223 reviews archive.
- Pleasant experience!Nando1Dined on 4/12/2014We were concerned that the restaurant was in a hotel but the experience was amazing. The server sat us immediately when we told him of our reservation. The waiter was attentive, friendly, and efficient. The staff went above and beyond for us. We did not mention anything about the reason we were there beforehand which was for my mother's birthday but the staff surprised her with a birthday desert and even led the singing of happy birthday to her. The food was superb. Each dish was just a joy to eat. Many members of our party said it was some of the best food they've had in at least the last decade. The prices are very good and the meals were filling on top of being delicious. I would highly recommend the ceviche and creme brûlée.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Valentines Day Menu!thenotoriousmfgDined on 2/14/2014Our best meal ever - hands down - Chef Alejandro - from the seafood to the lamb to the gelatto - amazing and memorable! This may be our tradition for years to come!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Fixe Became a Late FixPiscesLover88Dined on 2/14/2014Overall rating is low because of the long wait we experienced to be seated. Our reservation was for 8:30 p.m. With that said, we planned for cocktails and hors d' oeuvres in the lounge. We waited for an hour & 15 minutes (after our reserved time of 8:30 p.m.) to be finally seated. Management knew it was Valentine's Day and should have planned for more assistance in the kitchen as well as servers to facilitate accommodation and service! By the time we were seated, it was too late in the night to enjoy the pre fixe dinner that we were looking forward to. We just want to take every dish to go. Yes, instead of enjoying every moment of the experience we felt that we were just going through the motion. Not our servers fault so we tipped way over.Special Features:
- Great food slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/20148 pm reservation, but didn't get seated until 830. We were told we were next to be seated, however 2 other couples were seated before we were, and we had to enlist the aid of the bar waitress and a manager to get seated. Once seated the food and our waiter were great. The timing of the courses was poorly planned out and what should have been an hour meal, turned into a 2 and a half hour waiting game. We would finish one of our selections and be stuck staring at the empty plates for another 10 or 15 minutes before the next course was brought out to us. That is fine if you are serving large portions, but the courses were not large and the dinner should have been paced towards our eating habits and not the restaurant's schedule.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was surprised to find outciaobellaDined on 2/14/2014I was surprised to find out that booking on Valentine's Day was for a fixed menu. No announcement on website or when i called to confirm reservations.Also surprised to find out that cozy tables in room furthest from bar was set aside for tables of two people only. It was disappointing. service was okay. seemed to leave a lot of dirty, finished plates on the table for longer than needed. Food was okay, the regular menu looked a lot better than the fixed menu served on valentine's day.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic ValentineMikesviewDined on 2/14/2014Great service and lovely setting, complete with complementary rose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly OffgregorsaurVIPDined on 2/14/2014The food was good, service was great.... ambiance just didn't feel right. The location of the restaurant was open and had windows looking outside the hotel but also right at the Front Desk and meeting space. Everything felt very public and lacked an intimate environment. Maybe I expected more from a restaurant in a Sofitel.
- This is a restaurant withinOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/13/2014This is a restaurant within a hotel in a business area. It's convenient to meet for business purpose. Food wise, don't expect too much.Special Features:
- Inconsistant by the Bayjimc45Dined on 1/28/2014We had dined at the Sofitel at Gatwick Airport near London for several nights in November and the food and service was great. So we decided to try the local Sofitel restaurant. If the restaurants are managed by the same folks, one would never know it. The Redwood City service seemed disjointed and the food was inconsistent. The serving people were friendly and helpful but the flow of the meal was uneven. Took a long time to take our order. The duck was presented well but had little taste. The short ribs were perfect but the rice was bland. The scallops were also presented well but had little taste and were a little gritty. The bread pudding was too sweet with the poached fruit. Seems to be a place for business not dining.Special Features:
- Outstanding experienceMagicVIPDined on 1/24/2014We had a wonderful dinner along with outstanding service. We each had the NY steak, caesar salad and potatoes. Started out with a lemonade that the lemons or hand squeezed with mint.Special Features:
- Wonderful Brunch on SundaysEmma72Dined on 1/5/2014We love it and come back for each special occasion. Pastries, crepes and macarons are a must :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed this timeRobertDined on 1/1/2014We have eated at the Sofitel, or Bay 223 as it now known, many times. Usually enjoyed the food, service, et al. This time the food was pretty good, but our overall reaction was disappointment. Food was pretty good, but the feeling in the dining room was not warm, the service not bad--but not really great, the waiter was a nice guy, but not what we really needed. Theln we got our bill and were really shocked--almost twice what we thought it would be. We left disappointed and will maybe be back but just for a late night drink.
- Great meal, attentive serviceRobinEDined on 11/1/2013I planned a surprise birthday dinner here for my husband and 8 friends, and was very pleased with the food, service and atmosphere. It was a bit quiet in the area where we were seated, but the upside was we didn't have to worry about noise from our table bothering other patrons. I especially liked that there was no set menu required for a party of 10--everyone could order exactly what he or she wanted. Our server was friendly, attentive and kept things moving at a good pace without ever making us feel rushed. The menu is French-influenced but not at all heavy, and both of the items I ordered were vegan by design (great for someone with a dairy allergy who often avoids French restaurants!). I would go back and would recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Sunday brunchEmma72Dined on 10/27/2013We love coming to Bay 223 for special occasions and especially for the sunday brunch. The array and quality of food is exquisite. Great service also and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food ok but....Yums4foodVIPDined on 9/21/2013Poor unfriendly waitstaff. Would not recommend or return.
- Great service and great foodFoodGodDined on 8/31/2013Gordon our waiter was FANTASTIC. He was friendly and funny. The food was great also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good placeJessicaBabyVIPDined on 8/23/2013I have been there many times for lunch and dinner. They didn't have my favorite lobster bisque that day. Kind of disappointed. Service and food are always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed opportunityTeleHillFoodieVIPDined on 8/14/2013It is odd that a French hotel would have a restaurant with such mediocre food and service. Not bad but also not good. The food and wine list is very American in flavor and overdone in style. The use of sugary accents pervades many dishes. The menu is amazingly long like restaurants used to have. Maybe the kitchen would do better to focus its efforts. This is not a place where the ingredients shine.The technique, however, seemed solid. The service is well meaning but not well trained - being overly eager but not well informed. It is a good place mid-Peninsula to meet someone not far from the freeway. The room is good looking and if you keep your expectations low and chose well, you can be satisfied.
- Great restaurantJessicaBabyVIPDined on 8/9/2013I have been there many times for dinner. It was my first time there for lunch though. The waiter provided great and caring service. Food was good. I love this place because I don't hear the usual noise that most restaurants have. Great place to go for small gatherings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable afternoonOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/26/2013Bay 223 is an enjoyable restaurant inside the Hotel Sofitel. I was seated after I checked in with the host, their staff of waiters and other servers made my lunch a very nice experience. My choice for lunch was the Lobster salad, it wasn't a big salad just enough for a light lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/21/2013Food and service were great. Love the views as well.Special Features:
- Elegant hotelLeungVIPDined on 6/18/2013I like the booth, the swimming pool and the seats for drinks. It is good for couples. It is a wonderful place that people should go at least once.Special Features:
- Brunch is fantasticBeckyDined on 6/9/2013The brunch selection here is great, and the mimosas are fabulous as well. We've been here a couple of times now, and generally have met with better service than this particular time - the drink refills were slow to appear, as was the check. But this is not the normal experience for brunch, as we've had excellent service in the past.Special Features:
- Business BreakfastRSB1VIPDined on 6/7/2013I needed a place on the peninsula with easy access to US101 for a business breakfast meeting. The Bay223 in the Hotel Sofitel was not only easy to get to, but we had a wonderful breakfast! The atmosphere was quiet enough for a great conversation and the food far exceeded by expectations!Special Features:
- BrunchBeckyDined on 5/5/2013I've been to Sunday Brunch here now twice, and both times have been wonderful. I will definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ambience was so sereneOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/30/2013The ambience was so serene and beautiful and we (us ladies with a party of 7) enjoyed it very much. Since I live in Redwood City it was nice for a change to not have to deal with the traffic and or parking trying to find such a nice Hotel to go to that wasn't located in the city. We tried the lunch menu at Bay 223 and felt the food could be better but I visited previouisly for the breakfast fare and felt it was very good so I was a little disappointed about the lunch menu. In any event I did want to point out that William our waiter was so attentive and fantastic that we really appreciated him and felt it necessary to comment accordingly. Also the rest of the staff at the Hotel were so welcoming...that ALONE is a reason to go visit...Special Features:
- Very Poor Service and ConcernOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/22/2013Arrived at 12:15. We were seated promptly and indicated we were waiting for third party. The waiter took our drink order and said he'd be back to take our order. At 12:30 the hostess informed us that our third party had called and would not be joining us. We asked the bus boy to send the waiter and a second hostess also. Still no waiter. My guest was very upset at the lack of service. It was now around 12:45 and still not waiter had come to take our order, offer more water or bread. When my guest decided it was time to leave all of a suddent the waiter arrived. It appears that our waiter was working in a seperate section of the restaurant and was not told by the hostess that our guest was not coming. Very poor communication and concern.
- We were looking for a restaurantresomnabulistVIPDined on 3/8/2013We were looking for a restaurant between Palo Alto and San Mateo. The setting was beautiful and the food was delicious. Our experience was only capped by the outstanding service. I would come here again (and again).Special Features:
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013Although a bit pricey, as is with all hotel restaurants, the food was pretty good. However, the service was excellent. Our server, Matthew I think his name was, was very friendly and helpful and even spent a few minutes chatting with us while he had free time.Special Features:
- Our first time to be thereOpt1VIPDined on 2/14/2013Our first time to be there to celebrate the Valentine Day. The special set menu of $70.00 including the champagne was too expensive. The server was not attentive. We brought our own bottle of wine and he immediately told us if we know they will charge corkage $20.00. We asked him to decant the wine and he is reluctanly replied to see if they have any decanter. The salad has too much goat cheese. The entree has either only Scallop or Filet. The fillet was overcook and the scallop is still fishy. We were offer the check even before having our dessert. The server thought we already finished. At the end, we were never offer our Champagne..... We did look at their regular menu and had very limited dishes so we went for the set dinner.
- Limited items served,and itGoodEatsDined on 12/25/2012Limited items served,and it was a holiday brunch. too pricey for $55 plates with limited variety offered. service was great. Not a lot of people there and I could understand why. First time here.
- Loved it! Went there withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/24/2012Loved it! Went there with 4 children and they were more than kind, courteous and obliging! Cannot wait to go back!Special Features:
- Went for Sunday brunch withBeckyDined on 12/23/2012Went for Sunday brunch with a friend - while pricy, it's fun for a special occasion. The mimosas were plentiful, delicious, and included with the price of admission. There were a LOT of food choices, and everything I tried was great.Special Features: