Bay Street Biergarten
549 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Bay Street Biergarten
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://baystreetbiergarten.com/
- Phone: 8432662437
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 2:00am, Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason Walker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch
A word from Bay Street Biergarten
Big (i.e. Bier) things are happening on the corner of East Bay and Chapel in Charleston, SC! Taps at your table and craft beer always on tap. Charleston's first high-tech Biergarten. I'm talking real cool stuff here y'all. Things to look forward to: 60+ Taps, Tap Tables, Bavarian inspired-southern made cuisine, beer cocktails, wine, liquor, TV's, Outdoor Patio and a Beer Wall (yeah, you read that right, a wall full of beer). We're all about bringing everyone together in the ultimate communal atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Bay Street Biergarten - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Bay Street Biergarten reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (43)vibrant bar scene (39)great for outdoor dining (31)hot spot (27)neighborhood gem (25)great for lunch (18)late-night find (16)fit for foodies (13)special occasion (12)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (3)romantic (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Highly recommended!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014The Bay Street Biergarten is one of my favorite restaurants in Charleston! Really cool atmosphere and the food is always delicious. Great beer list too! I recommend this place to everyone.Special Features:
- greatjwgjrDined on 9/11/2014We have lived in Germany for many years, so nice to find a local spot where we can enjoy the food and beer! thanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2014Met a friend for a birthday dinner and for restaurant week. Food was very good, as was the service. Parking lot host, waitress and manager were all very personable, welcoming and helpful. Seemed to be a younger crowd enjoying the beer (which I don't drink but this is not a criticism) and the noise level was moderately high. Overall I enjoyed myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SCBabsDined on 9/9/2014Love the variety of beers. Food was very good, a little pricey but worth it. Atmosphere was exciting, not too loud but you could tell that people were really enjoying themselves. Will definitely go back again, next time with a larger group so we can sit at one of the tables with taps.Special Features:
- Good food, great service.EdebiDined on 9/5/2014Good food and good service. Noise level a bit high and parking a little tight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Weekyongesislander1Dined on 9/4/2014We enjoyed our restaurant week specials. The specials were all target at German style foods, and they filled a void that we have in Charleston. I talked briefly with the owner and suggested they add more German style offerings on their regular menu and he said starting with the cooler months we would see more German types on the menu, and we will be back. We live out in the country and this was worth the trip into town.Special Features:
- Great Servicemkclark13Dined on 8/29/2014My husband and I brought our friend out for dinner here over Labor Day weekend while he was visiting. He had previously lived in Germany and was excited about the Biergarten. He enjoyed being able to go to the different beer stations to pick out his own beer. Overall, the service was great, especially when needing help at one of the beer taps. Angela at the beer wall was especially helpful and knowledgeable. This is a good place to go with a larger group that would fit at one of the tables with personal beer taps. The pretzels are the best! Try the hot mustard!Special Features:
- Way way too noiseyskipDined on 8/22/2014I thought the food and service were good but the noise level was deafening and this is a 20's college group---very young. A woman actually fell down in the restaurant and nobody even asked if she was okay--I guess they assumed she was drunk-maybe she was.Special Features:
- service could use workthechopsaregoodDined on 8/16/2014It was most likely our waitress was new but they use iPads to take orders, which could streamline the ordering process but came across as awkward (not sure she knew how to use it). It also took a while to get attention from the server. Other than the service the food was great and atmosphere is good. I'll be returning in the hopes of having a different service experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BeirBarnabus76VIPDined on 8/8/2014This is the best place to go! I have come here many, many times. I will keep coming back. Great food, drink, and service.Special Features:
- 1st TimerBdaddyDined on 8/7/2014We finally tried the Bay Street Biergarten and weren't disappointed. They have a huge selection of beer and a neat concept with the various tap stations. We had the fried pickle and pig wing appetizers and they were excellent. For entree we ordered and split a BSB cheese steak sandwich and the sausage spatzle....lots of food and really delicious! It has a very casual and friendly atmosphere and the service was excellent. We will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good BrewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014This was our first time visiting the Biergarten and I have to say, it was enjoyable. We were comfortably seated right away, our server (Paige) introduced herself and explained how the whole thing worked. We opted for the beer at our table first. Tried all three taps - a chandy, a porter and an IPA - which suited the tastes of all at the table. We started with the famous pretzel appetizer, which was good and some fried pickles. What got me was the homemade sauces to dip the apps in...they were fantastic! Everyone enjoyed their entree selections and we sampled a few other beers from the main bar tap. Overall it was a great place to bring my visitors and catch up while having fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Timer was ImpressedScgirlVIPDined on 8/1/2014Totally enjoyed my first experience! Menu was unique and varied. All of the dishes were tasty and as described. The bacon jam was totally awesome! Fun atmosphere. Did not try the tasting wall but will at our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for craft beerCraftbeerloverDined on 7/26/2014Fun atmosphere with many craft beers on tap or in a bottle. The burger was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the hypeNY1944Dined on 7/23/2014The hype about trying different beers is a misnomer. As first timers we neded help understanding how to use the beer card. We put money on ou cards and waiter should us how to administer beer, however we used up our amount on card with just one beer. The cost to try several different beers is way moe expensive then just getting a glass or bottle of beer. Food was average. Atmosphere of restaurant is nice.
- Excellent ServiceMaryDined on 7/6/2014We came with a two babies and two sets of severe allergies and they handled both situations with ease. They had great special stands for our infant seats. They also checked to make sure that our food would not come in contact with any allergens. Server was really attentive and the food was delicious! I will be returning often!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun timesBarnabus76VIPDined on 7/3/2014I love this place. I am German and everytime my mother visits I take her here. The food is not all German, but she loves the vibe, beer, and food.Special Features:
- Fun experience!CindyVIPDined on 6/28/2014I have used the card system for tasting wine, but here you can enjoy tasting different beers while having a nice meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Free pretzels!SarahSmileVIPDined on 6/21/2014Everything was great! Our waitress was friendly, our food and drinks came out on time, but we were bummed that they were out of the presets!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingJp2721Dined on 6/18/2014We visit every time we are in Charleston; see you next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fathers day brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014Great food, service and a beer list that will knock your socks off. Everybody had something completely different and it all was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Good sports bar/restaurant. Noisy outside for older folks. But inside was great. Not that loud with all going on. We all liked it a lot! First time there.Special Features:
- Get the Reuben!SeaStarArtsDined on 6/11/2014Terrific service, decent beer list and way above average food took me to the Garten twice within a week! This is definitely a much needed foodie spot to take the place of the old Boathouse.Special Features:
- Try the GartenDowntownConciergeVIPDined on 6/3/2014We just went with a group of guys and had apps and beers. Pretzels were good, tots were a bit greasy but good. The beer list was HUGE! I ended up ordering a regular everyday beer just to drink while I looked over everything else. Great outdoor area, good bar spots, big booths. Service was just ok, but... like I said we were just there for apps and beer our guy knew enough about the list to answer any questions we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They almost had a vegan meal!VeganbtvDined on 5/27/2014They had a tofurkey dog, but it had to been sent out sans bun. Overall the outside was lovely, the garten was beautiful. Would return on my next trip to Charleston.Special Features:
- Perfect way to spend Memorial DaychshrlrDined on 5/26/2014We (group of 4) ate here for dinner on Memorial Day. The weather was perfect - a great time to sit outside. The outside space is amazing. We did walk in just to be seated. I've heard from friends of the beer wall and community taps but we weren't able to experience these. The pretzel bombs were out of this world (pretzels stuffed with smoked Gouda and served with Lusty Monk mustard). Two of us had the schnitzel sandwich, one had the meatloaf open-face sandwich and one had the cheesesteak. Very pleased with all the dishes. One thing to note, is this is not a "German restaurant" (As they say: Bavarian inspired, southern made). If you're looking for authentic German food, you will be disappointed. Grab a liter, sit back and enjoy. Prost!Special Features:
- The following 22 reviews are from the Bay Street Biergarten reviews archive.
- Great Find.HippisterFoodLatinGuyDined on 5/17/2014I came here Saturday night before a EDM show at the Charleston Poor House. I REALLY love the ambience! The beer selection was great, and my pork dish was splendid. I highly recommend this establishment to anyone looking for a great outdoor dinner!Special Features:
- Southern with a German twistTheDiningDivaVIPDined on 5/9/2014Go for the extensive beer list and jumbo pretzel. My Palm beer was delicious, but was served with a warm glass. I drank from the bottle as to not warm my beer. My husband ordered the BBQ ribs which he describes chewey, hard, and not much meat. The potato stuffed chicken was also not that meaty, but was better than the ribs. Seasonal vegetable had frozen carrots. I feel a seasonal vegetable should be fresh. There are a lot of TVs displaying sports. The German twist is a nice idea, but there was not enough. Perhaps some German theme uniforms, music, and additional food offerings would help. Also cold steins and boots for beer would encourage German flair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun NightJaneVIPDined on 5/8/2014A wonderful addition to the dining experience in Charleston. Staff are friendly and helpful, which starts your experienc on the right note. Server was friendly and available to our needs. The food was fun, delisious and many dishes had flavors that exploded in you mouth. We ate and drank and had a great night, all very affordable . Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun night in CharlestonGSSusanDined on 5/7/2014We had so much fun when we recently ate at the Bay Street Biergarten. An old building very creatively converted to a fun and vibrant bar and eatery. It was also fun to see a "clothing truck' parked outside so the girls could do a little shopping between courses! How fun!! Food was good and apps are great! Definitely a place to go for some fun in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- glad to see it on East BAydanmVIPDined on 5/4/2014glad to see something is utilizing this great building. A nice place for lunch, bar food, brats, german food.Special Features:
- Good service, energy, but noisyCharlestonSCDined on 5/3/2014Has a good party atmosphere - nice outdoor patio with bar. Very noisySpecial Features:
- Beer is good but so is the foodPbrownVIPDined on 4/29/2014At a beer garden you expect the beer to be cold and have a lot of good selections. But East Bay has a great food menu that is well executed to go with the beer. Try the meatloaf, Andouli brat and any burger.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2014I love this place and the food is great! We have been for brunch before and their brunch menu is awesome but the Easter brunch menu wasn't exactly what we were hoping for. Their were no brunch items on the special menu, we left disappointed! We will be back again for sure but probably won't go back fir a special occasion again if they don't have their normal menu!Special Features:
- Easter Brunch FailOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/20/2014A group of my friends were so excited to try brunch at BSB. We looked up the menu ahead of time and couldn't wait to order the chicken and waffles with sriracha maple syrup. Unfortunately, they failed to mention that they were not serving the traditional brunch menu for Easter and were only doing a buffet for $22 which did not contain their normal brunch menu items. We were so upset that this was the only place we could get a reservation and they decided to not serve their normal brunch menu!! I felt bad for the waitstaff because they all appeared miserable that they had to work on Easter and the restaurant was a ghost town. We normally have a good experience at this restaurant.Special Features:
- AmazingfoodielifeDined on 4/19/2014I picked it as a surprise for my German boyfriend, and he loved it! They brought out our meals very quickly and were very friendly. Even the manager stopped by to say hello. The portion sizes were huge, which was also nice. The only thing is they didn't have many gluten free options (and I'm Celiac). Overall, it was wonderful!Special Features:
- FUN!loveauDined on 4/18/2014BSB was a great place. Excellent beer, good service, good food. The four of us really enjoyed our visit. Live music was enjoyable and not too loud. A definite place to go when in Charleston. Want to try more beers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulBarnabus76VIPDined on 4/18/2014Being German it is nice to have a little piece of home! Good food, and beer. Had a great time.Special Features:
- Fun for ALLLovinItVIPDined on 4/11/2014We really enjoyed the restaurant. We loved everything we ordered from apps to dinner. The restaurant was hopping and a live. Our server was on top of everything. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Very Uniquedooze7Dined on 4/7/2014The Bay Street Biergarten is a very unique place with beer taps all over the place. There is a tremendous amount of craft and foreign beers and if your not that type of beer drinker, there are a couple of "regular" American beers on tap as well as bottled beers from all over the world. Some of the appetizers were very good but our entre' was disappointing. The Veal Schnitzel was flavorful but tough as nails. I had trouble cutting it with a knife. Because it is such a unique place, I will go back to try their sandwiches, Hopefully they will be better.Special Features: