218 W. Kinzie St.
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://bavetteschicago.com/
- Phone: 3126248154x
- Hours of Operation:
Friday and Saturday 5pm-12:30am
Sunday 5pm- 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, European, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Bavettes
Bavette’s is a European-Style steakhouse. The signature is a prime ribeye that is dry-aged in house. There is also a wide variety of fresh seafood, including a daily selection of fresh oysters, king crab, and shrimp cocktail. Bavette’s also specializes in classic cocktails with a focus of brown spirits. The value driven wine list is eclectic and global.Continued
Reservations made through Open Table will be for Bavette's main dining room. The largest party size that the restaurant can accommodate are groups of six. Currently, we do not offer any private dining.
Reservations made through Open Table will be for Bavette's main dining room. The largest party size that the restaurant can accommodate are groups of six. Currently, we do not offer any private dining.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Bavettes - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Bavettes reviews from OpenTable diners
343 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (247)romantic (238)fit for foodies (208)hot spot (140)notable wine list (94)neighborhood gem (83)vibrant bar scene (81)late-night find (53)good for groups (49)scenic view (4)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Wonderful RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014The food was fantastic. Everything we ordered was cooked to perfection. Large portions so share the sides. We will definitely be going back when we visit Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014OUTSTANDING!!! the food was amazing, the customer service was amazing and the ambiance was perfect for a celebratory dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DannieDined on 8/29/2014Awesome place! Was probably the best steak I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrating fiance's birthday!FoodAddictDined on 8/29/2014Loved the good and service! My fiancé fell in love with the ambiance 1920s Chicago feel to it plus theistic was just right for the time. The lamb and steak were delicious! They brought our dessert with a lighted candle celebrating his bday! Gotta try it! So Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply awesomebjamiesonDined on 8/28/2014I took a friend here for her birthday without any real idea of what we were in for. It turned out to be one of the best and most enjoyable meals I've ever had. The service was unbelievable and the food was stupefyingly delicious. We started off with the Foie Gras Terrine which was amazing. She had the Steak Frites and I had the 6oz Filet Mignon - both were perfectly cooked and flavored to perfection. Serious, my-eyes-rolled-back-in-my-skull, perfection. It's only been a few days since and I'm already trying to figure out an excuse to go back.Special Features:
- One of Chicago's best!foodieatheartVIPDined on 8/28/2014No one wonder it is always hard to get a reservation at Bavettes, their food was delicious! Me and my husband are carnivores and we have tried a lot of steakhouses here in Chicago...Bavettes is definitely going to be one of our favorites now. Their menu was impressive.We tried the duck and goat cheese terrine and the arugula salad with manchego/candied pecans which were both delicious! Of course the prime ribeye steak was the star! We also tried the Delmonico steak and Chicago ribeye, both equally delicious! Will definitely go back! Ambience was unique (speakeasy vibe) and service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic all aroundDavnjacDined on 8/27/2014We came to Bavette's for our anniversary with great expectations from what we'd heard from our friends. They were surpassed and then some. Everything we tasted was delicious and high quality. The price was well worth the food and environment -- so it was a great value. The corking fee is brilliant and fun -- sending a glass of our wine to another table. There was a minor delay with our steaks and the manager more than made up for it. We enjoyed every moment and would recommend this spot to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of our new favorites for steakendhungernowDined on 8/26/2014We tried the special a lamb ravioli and this was good not great. Oysters were very good, had a serving of 3 and really enjoyed them. Then the steaks came. We had a filet mignon and a Delmonico and both were great. Had them cooked medium and they were outstanding. Definitely will be back. Its a very nice place but getting a reservation at a decent dinner time took awhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2014The decor at Bavette's is fun and makes for a great bar scene. The steak is very good, too. The "pommes frites" and bacon sides were average and uninspired. The server was either overburdened or just not that good. He was absent a lot, so service was slow, and the drinks were totally out of sinc with the food. We were served the food and then got the glasses of wine 10 mins later, while the chilled lobster warmed up and the hot steak cooled down too much. During dinner and all the waiting, I realized they were playing Frank Sinatra and other jazz that was completely mismatched to the hipster wild west decor. Trying too hard to play to popular tastes, the combination felt cheap and gimmicky. Overall nice, but not worth the weeks-long wait.Special Features:
- Lives up to it reputation3squaresDined on 8/22/2014Reservations were difficult to get, but it was worth the effort. Wonderful decor and and lighting makes it feel private and laid back. Attentive and knowledgable bar & wait staff. Oysters were fresh and cold, salads were excellent. The steak was as good among the best I've ever had. Can't go wrong with Bavette'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic foodie date nightbunnieVIPDined on 8/22/2014Everything here was spot on. This was my third time dining at Bavettes and each time is even better than what I remembered. It's dark, romantic, classy, energetic, and a little quirky. Like you've been transported into a 1920's speakeasy. The wood and leather surrounding you is warm and cozy, the plates are mismatched, and reflections in the oxidized mirrors give off a noir feel. I would recommend trying at least one cocktail, the foie gras, shortrib stroganoff, elotes, and chocolate cream pie. Other notable dishes are the fried chicken, the filet, fries, crab stuffed avocado, and bone marrow. All winners. I am still thinking about the foie gras and chocolate cream pie days after.Special Features:
- Great food at a great placeNotyonachosDined on 8/21/2014My wife and i had dinner here on our last night in Chicago. The first thing i noticed was how nice it is inside. Classy setup and lowlit. The staff was friendly and attentive. The food was outstanding. We were also the beneficiaries of another table's corkage fee (they shared a glass with us!). I did lots of research before deciding where to make reservations, and i believe i made the right decision. Many thanks to Bavette's for making it a special nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014Loved the food and the service was great. Overall we had an awesome experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceswimmer1120Dined on 8/19/2014Ambience is romantic and dreamy, but you still feel like you can have a loud and hearty laugh over dinner. Our server, Eric, was a delight. We were not aware of the generous portions so he helped us with some recommendations in ordering. Just the right amount of attentive. Food - portions are larger than expected. We ordered the duck terrine (delicious, balanced flavors), the ravioli special (surprising bright flavors, although I found the pasta a bit too thick), the Chicago style rib eye steak (perfectly cooked and great smokey charredness), and a side of creamed spinach (large portion, yummy but nothing mind blowing - it's creamed spinach). Overall great experience and will be definitely coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant BavetteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/19/2014We absolutely loved the whole experience - the ambiance, the service but most of all the food. Some of the best steaks we've ever had - both generations agreed. Shame we're only here for a week but we will be back. Hope other steak houses live up to this.Special Features:
- An outstanding dinner and memoryFoodReddyVIPDined on 8/18/2014We went to Bavettes for a family celebration and the restaurant did not disappoint. The ambiance is classy and old-world, the service warm but not obtrusive and the food and drinks spectacular. My Old Fashioned was perfect and the wine corkage "fee" fun. We brought a nice cabernet and had to share a glass with another patron. Our appetizers (shrimp de jonge and baked goat cheese) were wonderful and portions generous. For the main course my husband ordered the burger, my son and I shared the 20-oz Chicago-cut ribeye and my other son had the filet. All were outstanding. The accompanying mashed potatoes and creamed spinach were also great. We ended the meal with a whiskey-infused icecream. A memorable dinner and an incredible memory.Special Features:
- Great all around experienceFoodPoliceDined on 8/17/2014Have dined here a few times and it gets better everytime. Terrific drinks and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner and a showFoodiequeenVIPDined on 8/16/2014I loved the venue, but the food was lacking in a big way for me. I had the salmon tartare which was on par with every other restaurant. For dinner I had short rib stroganoff and it was under whelming. The meat was ok, but the noodles were very under cooked and uneatable. My boyfriend had the wedge which was ok except for the extremely fatty undercooked bacon. He had the meatloaf and said it was good. I do want to applaud the bartender for cutting off a loud over serviced group near our table huddled around a small bar table. Some one did come over to see if we were ok, but didn't do much about it even after noticing the disruption it was causing other diners meals.Special Features:
- Chicago's Best SteakhouseGonzo70VIPDined on 8/16/2014Third visit to Bavette's and it has been consistently fantastic. Love the swanky but unpretentious vibe and am three-for-three with receiving friendly, attentive servers. The food is simply amazing; while the dry aged bone in ribeye is one of the most delicious things you will ever consume the entire menu is allotted equal attention. From the mind blowing seafood tower to the wedge salad topped with the best bacon I have ever tasted to the incredible elotes to the outstanding fried chicken - even the desserts here (Featuring Black Dog gelato) are must eats despite probably already being stuffed after the awesome savories. Definitely deserves to be awarded a Michelin star. Bavette's is doing steakhouse right Chicago!Special Features:
- MarvelousPumpvixenVIPDined on 8/15/2014Great ribeye, perfectly cooked. The avocado salad was fresh and delicious. We Loved the wine corkage policy, they don't have one. Instead if you bring your own bottle of wine you have to share a glass with a fellow patron. We were the lucky recipients.Special Features:
- Best Steak I Ever HadRichDined on 8/14/2014We eat at some great places, this is in my Chicago top 2 now. The best bone-in rib eye in the world. It had a crust of seasoning on it, cooked perfectly. I love béarnaise with steak...it came with some....I didn't touch it. Wine decanted & waiter John was awesome and sincerely excited to represent the place. Got one of the awesome booths in the basement. Note if you want one, make the res on Open Table far ahead, then call and specifically request that. We didn't and when I called to confirm they said we were confirmed upstairs, and told me about needing to call to request downstairs. When we arrived they accommodated us downstairs anyway...THANK YOU to the hostess who I assume took note of that after I called and made it happen.Special Features:
- Winner Winner Steak DinnerNotNormallyASteakFanDined on 8/12/2014Booked for my bf's birthday after scouring websites for great steak places (book a few weeks out to get optimal time). Bavette's did not disappoint. Food, atmosphere, and service were spectacular. Our table wasn't ready, and we were told to grab a drink at the bar. Only disappointing point of our meal- bartender was slammed, told us to have a seat on the couches and a server would come by (10 min and nobody paid us any attention). After that, it was smooth sailing. The cocktail menu offers a great selection of classic drinks. We split the baked goat cheese appetizer (AMAZING!) and the mixed green salad with apple. Steaks were perfectly prepared. We ordered three sides to split (baked sweet potato was my favorite). Romantic and Delicious!Special Features:
- Bonne viande,ambiance agréableFabienneFrance33Dined on 8/12/2014Nous avons pris du boeuf et des frites car nous étions partis depuis un bon moment de france et cela nous manquait.Nous n'avons pas été déçus,viande très goûteuse,cuisson comme la demande, et les frites sont savoureuses.Le personnel est aimable et l'intérieur style pub ,ambiance tamisée est agréable.Nous avons eu notre réservation alors que l'endroit était plein.Merci !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to the hypeSabine1215Dined on 8/11/2014This was my first time in Chicago, and Bavette came personally recommended from a friend who spends a lot of time in the city. The ambiance is great- old school, classic steak house,with the old signs, exposed stonework and old wooden floors; I was surprised to learn the place is only a few years old - but whether the look is "faux" or not it works. Service is very friendly, familiar in a good way; very efficient. Food was amazing. I was dining alone and really enjoyed the staff's friendliness and camaraderie- they actually recommended other restaurants in the city to try ( unrelated to this one). I've been to ALOT of NY steakhouses, and this place was great. Would go back in a minute-Special Features:
- WeekenddinersVIPDined on 8/10/2014Great food! The wedge salad was one of the best I have had...the bacon on top...heavenly!! Excellent steaks. Prices comparable to other good steakhouses in town. The restaurant got crowded toward the end of our meal and the service slowed considerably. Lemon meringue pie dessert was also delicious. Overall, a good experience and we will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the better steakhouseshahveyVIPDined on 8/9/2014Classic leather banquettes, big cool chandeliers, but modern and cool. Great Old Fashioned's, thoughtful service, delicious big steaks and giant portions. Portions may even be too generous. Steak was perfectly cooked. It came out too early, but the staff was all over it and more than made it up to us. All in all, a new favorite in Chicago.Special Features:
- Memorable Dining ExperienceFinerThingsEnthusiastVIPDined on 8/9/2014Bavette's has elegant charm and a high-style setting. T-shirts and shorts should feel out of place here as they should in such a fine establishment. The food (from apps to dessert) is fantastic. Simply served fine cuts of meat with lots of flavor. Wait staff is attentive but not overly so. Best of all, you can hear the conversation at your table but not necessarily that of neighboring tables. Love the BYOB policy to share a glass with a fellow guest. Will go back as many times as I am able.Special Features:
- A+ Steak Housennp4evaDined on 8/9/2014If you're looking for great steak and seafood with a french flare, this is it. The steak is the best I've had in Chicago and the drinks are outstanding too. A great place when you want to splurge.Special Features:
- Best restaurent ever.joeszwDined on 8/6/2014We ordered filet mignon and salmon. The filet mignon was incredible and the salmon was also amazing. Both melted in your mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak HeavenSpoonerGirlDined on 8/6/2014Honestly, this is my favorite steak restaurant in all the world. I'm a senior who lived in NYC for decades. Over the years I've had some incredible meals at NYC steakhouses. But IMO, Bavette's zooms to the top of the list. This restaurant has the best steaks I've ever had...and A+ atmosphere. The aged ribeyes...the mashed potatoes...the mushrooms...the soaring red brick walls...the moody low lighting... the jazz music. Ahhhh.Special Features:
- The REAL deal!DDKEDined on 8/6/2014Old-school steakhouse with a twist. From the moment you walk into the restaurant, the dim lighting meets you and you think you were being thrown back in time. Expecting to see Capone sitting at the table next to us, we were greeted by our waiter who was prompt and efficient. The Chicago cut ribeye was 20 ounces of fury and was cooked perfectly. My wife had the petite filet and it was great. My two children shared one order of pasta, it was on the smaller side. We had the fire roasted corn and it was rockin. crabcake and the wedge or appetizer were good. Overall, great dining experience and for the money, this steak dinner cannot be beat. Why go to a restaurant steakhouse chain when you have this to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerPattiDined on 8/6/2014Lived up to it's reputation. The staff is top notch, very attentive and knowledgeable. Out steaks were done to perfection. Will return to explore the menu further.Special Features:
- Amazing quality foodtiger3110VIPDined on 8/6/2014This food was amazing. We each had the petite filet, a few side dishes, and started with shrimp cocktail. Everything was done to perfection. I do have to say the price for a petite filet steak was $36, very pricey since that's ONLY for steak with no sides. The atmosphere is very rustic old world charm and intimate. It's hard to get a reservation so plan weeks in advance unless you want to eat after 9pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BavettesJbeanDined on 8/3/2014I love this restaurant with all my heart. The food is consistently amazing, regardless of what was ordered. I love the lighting and love the music. It's like being transported to Paris in the 1930's. The entire experience, from food to ambiance, is a complete package.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!NicaDined on 8/2/2014This restaurant left an amazing impression on me and my hubby, the ribeye we tried was the best steak we have ever eaten in our lives, what a superb sear, it was juicy and so flavorful. We also loved the ambiance, it is romantic with beautiful chandeliers and dim lights. We are trying to come up with any kind of excuse to come back.Special Features:
- Best steakhousehappybellyDined on 8/2/2014This past weekend was our second time dining at Bavette's. The first time we tried it just by chance. We were so impressed with the quality of food that we knew we would be back. This past weekend we were celebrating a special birthday of 2 friends. We once again visited Bavette's and once again, it couldn't have been better! The steaks are outstanding. We got the bone in fillet and the petite fillet. The bone-in was one of the best steaks we have ever had. We also had the tomato and bacon salad. It may not sound like much, but it is wonderful! Complete your meal with one of their signature cocktails and you will not be disappointed! We can't wait to go back again!Special Features:
- Roaring 1920's in 2014NicoDined on 8/1/2014By stepping through the door you enter the Times of prohibition - feels like a hidden Bar from a far more glamourous time. Highly recommand Food, Drinks and especially the extraordennary service for a Special date night or a Long Night with friends.Special Features:
- Bavetts is AmazingModiDined on 7/31/2014I discovered Bavetts last year when I took my wife there for her birthday... She loved it so much she requested to go back again this year. You won't be disappointed the steaks are top notch! Always cooked to perfection, and the side dishes are heaven in your mouth. I have nothing bad to say about Bavetts 5 stars all day longSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014Steak (with marrow) was amazing! Definitely try four gras tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfecthardtoimpressDined on 7/30/2014I booked Bavettes for a recent wedding anniversary. It was the perfect choice from start to finish. The hostess greeted us by wishing us Happy Anniversary, as did our server. We had a lovely table that was tucked into a romantic corner. And the food was great. Really great. would absolutely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.