Baume & Brix
351 W Hubbard St
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Baume & Brix
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.baumeandbrix.com/
- Phone: 3123210351
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 2:00am, Saturday: 5:00pm - 3:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Thomas Elliot Bowman and Ben Roche
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room
A word from Baume & Brix
Guests will consider themselves foodies and have a playful fun approached to dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Baume & Brix reviews from OpenTable diners
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2013A Saturday evening and not only were there no specials, but they had run out of regular menu items. The service was slow and she spoke so quickly we couldn't understand her. Considering the house wasn't even half full, there should have been no excuse for the poor service. Mixed drinks were awful... Don't ask for a French martini. The entrees were just OK. When we left, the doormen/valets would not help us get a cab. Thanks for nothing. Won't be back.
- This is our fourth time here.MameVIPDined on 7/18/2013This is our fourth time here. Food is delicious and creative. Will return with great service and ease of reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good and fun.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/15/2013Food was very good and fun. Service seemed a little unsure of things. I would go back if they were going to be open more long then a this week. If you go before they close get the pork belly, if was gooooood!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+barb64VIPDined on 7/3/2013What a great restaurant! Loved both the cheddar cheese risotto and the potato chip gnocchi. And, Dustin, my server, couldn't have been better. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/1/2013This restaurant was exceptional all around. The customer service was great and all the staff seemed to be extremely knowledgeable about the food and drinks. The food was unique, superb, and of very high quality. Try the grilled octopus fun dip - you'll thank me later. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keeps Getting BetterOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/22/2013Baume & Brix has been a favorite since it opened. It has an imaginative menu that is fun as well as delicious.. The menu has changed and it is better than ever. The cocktails are fun and the food is better. This is my favorite spot in town and keeps drawing me back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovelyluv2dineDined on 6/22/2013This restaurant was great! Service was outstanding!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service, but noisyChicagoInMy30sVIPDined on 6/21/2013Everything is fantastic here, from food to service to the dim lighting and visual appeal. The only thing detracting from the date was the noise level. Loud.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingRudyDined on 6/14/2013The menu is too limited... and it is not that unique. I had the grilled Octopus. It was a good portion, and you could dip it in 3 different type of spices. But honestly, any place in Greek town makes grilled Octopus 10x better. Also had the broccoli risotto that was sitting in some Left Hand Milk stout. It was "ok". The risotto was slightly overdone. Wife had some tuna tartar and some fish (halibut or sea bass?). Nothing was unique about it... the jasmine coconut rice it was served with was good. After the meal the wife and I had we just didn't feel the $150 for 4 small boring dishes was worth it. Maybe we chose the wrong dishes, or they were having an off night. The dinning space and bar are are beautiful.
- Needs more timeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/12/2013Went for lunch and although the food was good the service was slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- B&B - SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/10/2013Stunning experience. Some of the best food in Chicago (arguably), efficient, friendly and informed servers, and a wonderful ambiance. Dishes are creative, presentation beautiful, and everything tried was delicious. Octopus, Sea Bass and Cookies & Milk are must-tries. Wine list is a little steep - could use some more moderate and domestic choices - small criticism. Two dinners, two memorable meals. The interior is hip, clean and simple-modern, and offers various dining experiences, from open, to semi-private to private if desired. Great bar as well, for hanging with friends or alone. A winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New, with possibilitiestevronVIPDined on 6/5/2013My first reaction - unexpectedly good. The decor is both exciting and calming... not boring. It just seems "special". The menu is varied and imaginative, not always a good thing if you are slow on experimenting. Their nomenclature and classifications take some explaining - which the staff is ready to provide. In fact the individualized reviews describing the content and preparation of each dish helps to answer the inevitable question "What IS this? Is it what I ordered?". That said, everything is delicious. Portions are modest, and a bit pricy. But no grudges because the flavors excel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- while the service was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/3/2013while the service was great after the food service started, it took over an hour to even get the bread basket. this was in a restaurant only 30% occupied (Monday evening). overall, the excellent food made up for the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bien Bueno Baume & BrixcabgoesleftVIPDined on 6/1/2013This place is excellent. What a find for a west coaster. Exceptional cuisine - amazing octopus dish for starters! A rare find among too much steak and potatoes in the surrounding blocks. This place is really good. Great service. cool space. Definitely go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will definitely come backCanadianTravellerDined on 6/1/2013This was a great Chicago experience. The servers and sommelier made us feel like we were the only table. The food was delicious and the atmosphere was great as well. I will definitely come back next time I'm in town!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worst service and food-- inexcusablOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/30/2013worst service and food-- inexcusably poor service. No one was in the restaurant and I can understand why...
- Trying to hardChicagoBoundDined on 5/28/2013Very small portions, expensive, creative food prioritized over good food.
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/25/2013Baume & Brixe is perfect for both foodies and those people that just want a good meal. The restaurant is tucked away in a new location near the East Bank Club. It is a perfect location to eat prior to a show. Baume & Brixe is prime location to celebrate. My husband and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary there and we noticed a large group of females celebrating for a bachelorette party. The cocktails, entrees, and desserts are delicious! The restaurant staff paid attention to detail and was attentive and provided exceptional recommendations. The meal even started with a glass of champagne!Special Features:
- Cool eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/24/2013Our experience was wonderful. The food was really good-highlights included the octopus, the brined pork chop, and that darn bread! Amazing. Booth seating was perfect for our family-three college aged. Our server, Rafael was excellent. Great music track. Only regret-should have called ahead to reserve the chef table. Thanks!Special Features:
- A Special ExperienceGreatDaneDined on 5/22/2013This was an amazing dining experience in a city full of great restaurants. This is a terrific, high-quality restaurant off the beaten path that's perfect for those wanting a wonderful, modern menu and fantastic service. The chefs at Baume & Brix are top notch - LOVE their creations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/21/2013Really interesting menu, very welcoming ambience and our server made the experience truly exceptionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portions; overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/21/2013The portions are very little, especially the carpaccio. And it's overpriced : I paid $150 for 2 with only appetizers, main course, 1 glass of wine, no dessert, no coffee !! Maybe that's why it was very quiet when I was there.
- Dismissive and disorganized serviceHeatherWildeVIPDined on 5/20/2013This highly rated restaurant offers tasty food... accompanied by a side dish of cold service. We received a warm welcome by hostess and bar staff.... but the female server for our table seemed less than eager to deal with us. It was as though we so lacked in hip and cool she simply couldn't be bothered. She was altogether dismissive and although we found the food very good, we left without even considering dessert or coffee. We thought coffee at a Starbucks might afford a friendlier atmosphere. I will likely not be returning.Special Features:
- Jackpot!Main319Dined on 5/18/2013The whole dinner was truly amazing. From beginning to the end. Service was not quite up to snuff though. Dirty dishes on the table for too long, left by service staff that visited the table between courses. Obviously an 'it's not my job' attitude. Gorgeous modern restaurant. The food was stellar, clean, fresh and full of flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our server Dustin was outstanding.dineout2muchVIPDined on 5/18/2013Our server Dustin was outstanding. We appreciated the staff working with one of our guests on food allergiesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun food for foodiesEliseDined on 5/17/2013Inventive dishes that don't seem to be repeats of every other new restaurant! Everything was delicious.Special Features:
- Dece, kinda priceyChiFoodJunkieVIPDined on 5/16/2013Food was pretty good but the service a bit spotty. They dont have Kettle One or Blu cheese olives which was what my date wanted. So after being denied, they took about 20 min to make the drinks which were then "comped". They also brought out a wrong appetizer but it was also comped. The Burratta was phenominal and the Octopus was also pretty good. The entrees were were it was at! I had the Red Curry Short Rib which had awesome flavor and a good bite to it(spicy). Date had the Butterfish, which she enjoyed. Would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itTJBCHIVIPDined on 5/16/2013This was a spur of the moment reservation ans we LOVED it.That was probably the best service I have ever had at a restaurant in Chicago.Special Features:
- Good food but seemed abandonedchicagoesqVIPDined on 5/14/2013The menu is small but impressive and while we all ordered something different (including several different starters) they were all very good. The drinks are also impressive. I will say that while some places are a little too noisy, this one was actually quite quiet. I would come here again but try it closer to the weekend so it isn't quite as much like a library.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice people, interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2013very nice people, interesting food, wait staff was educated, informative, and enthusiastic. the menu is somewhat limited, choices eclectic, it is hard to imagine people returning repeatedly for either the menu or the ambience.Special Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/11/2013The menu was a work of art. Such flavor and creativity. We loved it and cant wait to go back!Special Features:
- Worth the trip to ChicagogreatfoodloverVIPDined on 5/10/2013I flew in from Arizona. Decided to make a reservation and was delighted! The food is amazing. The service superb. The entire experience is sublime. Everyone from the moment you step in wants to make sure you and your party have a magnificent experience. Everything was absolutely delicious but please try the octopus as one of the appetizers!!! Thank you for making everything so personalized and memorable. I went on a Thursday evening and I look forward to returning for a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific in Every WayLaneBVIPDined on 5/4/2013This restaurant has been open for about five months and operates up there with the best. The space is cool, the servers well trained, and the food imaginative and delicious. The wine list is pretty good but on the pricey side as is the food but it is well worth it.Special Features:
- Wonderful Creative MenuGlobalphileVIPDined on 5/3/2013Had a wonderful dinner with friends. The menu is very creative and the food really outstanding. Had a great server who was able to accommodate our every need.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/3/2013Day #2 of serving lunch. All systems go! Pork belly mazuna appetizer was great. Burger with a fried egg was different and delicious. Service with lots of smiles. We look forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedBday2014Dined on 5/2/2013Everything tasted wonderful, but when you are paying entree prices for appetizer portions...I also thought this was a hot spot and was a bit dismayed as how empty it was when we walked in.Special Features:
- Great addition to the neigborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/2/2013I had a great experience and will definitely go back. Everything from the food to the service and atmosphere was perfect. We tried the grilled Octopus, Burrata and Red Curry Short Rib and was loved them all. I also found the portion sizes to be appropriate for the price. Our server was very helpful in guiding us on the menu and cocktail list too, the Kimura was very refreshing. I can't wait to go back and try the Butterfish and Gnocchi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very clever menu almost doesn'tBuzzVIPDined on 4/27/2013Very clever menu almost doesn't do the inventive and exciting food justice. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Love the blending of flavorssansuVIPDined on 4/27/2013Great food with a nice blending of flavors. The foie gras and oysters were outstanding. So was the pork chop and the red curry beef. The cocktails were so yummy. We would definitely go back. It's a good place for groups and its loud in there. We went on a Saturday night.Special Features:
- The Naked Lobster and CrispyOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/27/2013The Naked Lobster and Crispy Duck were highlights, but everything was really good.Special Features: