Inside Battery Park
across from 17 State St.
New York, NY 10004Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.batterygardens.com/restaurant.html
- Phone: (212) 809-5508 ext. 1
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday 11:30am - 9:00pm & Sunday 11:30am - 3pm. Beer Garden open daily (weather permitting) starting at 11:30am.
Based on the event schedule; Lunch or Dinner may be served in an alternate dining room. A member of the management team will notify reservations if effected.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Ari Nieminen
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: SOCIAL:
From intimate to extravagant, traditional to unexpected; we are dedicated to creating your ideal wedding and reception. Battery Gardens invites you into its elegantly appointed functions rooms which represent the special tradition of Manhattan's elegance and beauty. All of our catered affairs are custom designed to meet your every need and expectation. Contact our experienced professionals to plan your special day.
- Special Events: CORPORATE:
Whether it's a cocktail party with exotic passed hors d'ouvres, a food station buffet or a plated event, the chef and his staff will insure both the food and presentation are exquisite. You can select from one of Chef Ari Nieminen's special event menus or the chef can customize a menu to fit your specific needs and desires.
For smaller, more intimate gatherings our garden suite may be the perfect alternative. A private dining room with a large outdoor patio, set in Battery Parl, the Garden Suite can accommodate up to 60 people.
A word from Battery Gardens
Battery Gardens Restaurant is a beautiful waterfront facility that offers panoramic views of New York Harbor, the statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and more. Featuring two outdoor patio areas and a wood burning fireplace this is the ultimate waterfront facility in Manhattan. The menu is contemporary American/Continental cuisine with Asian-Fusion elements which reflects New York's diversity.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Battery Gardens - Best Restaurants in Battery Park ›
Battery Gardens reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (30)great for outdoor dining (27)great for lunch (13)special occasion (12)romantic (11)neighborhood gem (6)great for brunch (5)good for groups (5)notable wine list (3)late-night find (3)fit for foodies (3)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/9/2014One of our favorite restaurants! If you are looking to have a beautiful lunch, an amazing dinner, or host an event..you have come to the right place. Lamb osso buco delicious!Special Features:
- Nice lunchonecogDined on 11/2/2014We came for Saturday lunch. It was very quiet and really nice. The staff was very accommodating and attentive. The food was excellent! Great view of the river and the ferries going across to The Statue of Liberty!! Not cheap but worth it!Special Features:
- Battery Garden Reviewsooga92Dined on 10/25/2014Restaurant is simply amazing. The food, atmosphere, wait staff, and view was unbeatable. The best part of it all is the owner Paul. No one is better than him!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beAlanDined on 10/14/2014The views at this restaurant are among the best in the city. Simply fantastic view for a business lunch. However the food has declined in quality significantly. This is evident from the rather small attendance by other guests.I hope the food improves soon or this restaurant will not be around.Special Features:
- Amazing view!lvbks40Dined on 9/20/2014we had to eat outside because a wedding was underway! Not a problem as you go there for the view of the ny harbor and the Statue of Liberty. It was a perfect clear evening so especially lovely outdoors. The food was good though not exceptional. Small menu but wide range from pizza to small plates to burger to full entree which is another reason for my original selection of these restaurant. I recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- funtoshareDined on 9/6/2014Very enjoyable last minute find. Bread was stale(acknowledged by waiter). However, brought fresh bread, but not until requested. Good food. Great salad that we shared. It was a beautiful evening, so hard not to enjoy. Rating is because staff was not as attentive as would expect.Special Features:
- Needs upgradeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Beautiful spot -- very tired decor, design...one of the best spots in Manhattan deserves more attention, investment. The outdoor section was not full on a beautiful September evening--on Friday! We left -- why sit alone?
- NicknameVIPDined on 9/5/2014Clearly a tourist or event venue. Nice terrace. the dining room had an unpleasant odor - would not have stayed if outdoor seating was not available.Special Features:
- Lunch on the runTravelerDined on 8/30/2014We had one day in NYC and tried to jam as much in as possible. We had tickets for the Statue of Liberty and a set time for the top of the rock. It was a day outing for our two grand children who had never been to NYC. We ran in and had to be out in a half hour. The restaurant was lovely. The staff was understanding and got our food out as quickly as possible. It is a white table cloth restaurant with wonderful food and outstanding service. Everything is delicious and it is in Battery Park so walking distance to the boats to the Statue. I would love to return with more time. The view is wonderful and the glass wall looking toward Lady Liberty works perfectly.Special Features:
- Nive viewIsabelleDined on 8/25/2014Food was Ok; service was prompt. Go there for the view...Special Features:
- View is greatLarInPhillyDined on 8/16/2014We ate at Battery Gardens on the terrace on a Saturday evening about 7 - 8:30 p.m. The food was good. The service attentive without being overly present. The prices are reasonable. But the reason we ate there was for the view which is quite good with the boats on the river, the Statue of Liberty across the water and we were rewarded with a very nice sunset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scenic Lunch SpotSuburbiansDined on 8/15/2014Two of us had lunch here. We ordered the leek and bacon pizza and whole grain medley salad. The presentation was nice for both entrees, especially liked the Pansy flower petals on top of the pizza. Portions were good, enough for the both of us. The pizza could have used more ingredients, lacked on cheese and too many forkfuls of plain crust. The service was fair but the bus girl could have been more attentive in bringing water, especially when that's all you are drinking should be monitored closely. The location overlooks the water and is ideal if you're planning on doing a boat cruise.Special Features:
- My First and LAST time at this spotOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/14/2014Granted, the view is lovely as long as you are not seeing it through the spotted and dirty plexiglass divider on the upper patio. The decor is truly weathered (stained and torn chair covers, dirty globe lanterns) While our waiter was pleasant, it took 50 minutes for two appetizers to make it out to our table. ( The restaurant was half empty, as a side note) The goat cheese salad was nice, but the pizza was room-temperature at best! Our entrees were brought out while we were still eating our first course. I had them take it back to the kitchen, and upon it's return, my filet mignon was no longer hot. Tasteless side dish, too! Overpriced and very disappointing! I do not ( and will not) recommend nor will I return!Special Features:
- Wonderful AmbienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014When my fiancé and I entered the restaurant it was quite a view to behold. Without a doubt one of the most romantic restaurants in New York. The food did not disappoint. The service, however, could have been better. Our server ignored us and even waited on a table that was sat 15 minutes after us before we were even greeted. I had to complain to the maître d' to be served. Other than our first initial moments of service our experience was wonderful and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention to DetailjipsVIPDined on 7/29/2014I've come here many times and each time I am never disappointing. Many restaurants who have such a striking view let food quality and service suffer, but not here. From Jenny the maitre d to waiters like Caleb, they are attentive and provide wonderful service. The food is always top notch.Special Features:
- The following 402 reviews are from the Battery Gardens reviews archive.
- great view, mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/25/2014While you get a great view of the harbor, the food is not on par. My red sangria was watered down. The pasta bolognese was underseasoned. The service is extremely slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rating based on reservation policyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/23/2014I made a reservation that included out of town guests days in advance. As we were traveling to the city, Battery Gardens called to say they were moving our reservations to outside. That was unacceptable as the weather was very hot, rain was forecast and our guests were elderly. Turns out that the indoor restaurant had been booked for a private party! The hostess explained that internal communications were sometimes a problem. The last minute cancellation was a major problem and embarrassment for us and our guests. Instead of dinner we had to sit in the nearby ferry terminal to escape the heat (it was air conditioned). Why the last minute notification that our reservation was a problem? Very unprofessional handling of reservations.Special Features:
- With a view like this,GeneKellyVIPDined on 7/22/2014but it was well worth eating anyway. My table enjoyed the small plate of mussels, the monkfish, the crabcake. But the scene on the promenade, the traffic on the water, the Statue of Liberty as the sun went down on a hazy evening are all unforgettable.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/21/2014I live in the neighborhood and it was my first visit and was pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately, there is a lot of construction, but once inside you don't really notice it. The service was extremely slow despite the fact that there were few tables, but again, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food and had a nice evening with friends. The space is fantastic for an event and left me wanting to come up with a party idea, so I can have it there. Definitely a hidden gem and i will definitely return for dinner or as host of a party!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scenic ViewHonoraryNewYorkerDined on 7/21/2014My favorite place to go when I am in NY during the summer to sit outside and enjoy the sunset. Food is great and the view is amazing.Special Features:
- Wait staff accommodatingDccraigDined on 7/17/2014Wait-staff was not chatty, and shouldn't be, which I appreciated, and they graciously obliged a request to make the dessert for the birthday guest special, adding a candle and singing "Happy Birthday," which I did appreciate. The view from our table was killer, and the sunset was picture perfect.Special Features:
- Lilly DaleLillyDaleDined on 7/14/2014Outstanding view! Excellent service. Quality food; however, I chose Tap water which was refilled often but was not cold (on a very humid night)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view...Great PizzaJim1952VIPDined on 7/13/2014Pricey but worth every penny with a great view of the Statue of Liberty and great thin crust pizzaSpecial Features:
- Don't go.LillDined on 7/8/2014My experience at Battery Gardens was nothing short of horrible. The food was good but completely overpriced. The service was horrible. No new water was brought to the table. No waiter came by to give us the check until we asked for it one full hour after finishing our meal. Then we were handed a check that was charging us for 3 times the amount of food that we ordered. When we finally got the correct check, the waiter was rude about HIS mistake. We asked for the manager and he said that he was the manager. When we asked a different employee for the manager, a different man (the real manager) came out. All in all, don't go. The food and beautiful view wasn't good enough to make up for the lack of service and the overpricing.Special Features:
- Very DisappointingEasygoingeaterDined on 7/4/2014We arrived and found out we had to order from buffet and with 2 small children we were very displeased. $231.00 for 2 adults and a 3 and 5 year old seemed excessive since we knew the kids would not eat very much. The food on the buffet was not worth the cost and a lot of the food was not replenshished. We did not even have our water glasses refilled and left shortly after arriving. I would not recommend this place other than the view.Special Features:
- Overrated.SarahInThisCityDined on 7/4/2014We paid paid $150 for two people for a buffet on the 4th of July (incl tax, tip). I didn't have high expectations, being a buffet and being 4th of July. But, it was terrible value for money and I actually felt cheated/ripped off by the experience. Food was so so - edible, but mostly cold and overcooked. Dessert was a joke - some dry cookies, dry brownies etc. Service was equally as terrible, possibly even worse. Waited ages to order drinks, we popped the champagne ourselves, but still paid 20% tip (added on automatically) for the pleasure. Zero ambience. Would not recommend ever, at all, to anyone. If you want a view, make a picnic and sit in the park! You will enjoy that SO much more.
- Battery Gardens and HistoryOldNewYorkDined on 7/1/2014Very pleasant lunch outside viewing the Statue of Liberty, Harbor Ferries and assorted water happenings. Lunch was excellent although the listed main courses were too heavy (and sparse) for summer lunch. The small plate menu offered excellent choices and we all had two items each which were excellent and more than enough food. We four senior true New Yorkers highly recommend Battery Gardens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharlieDined on 6/28/2014Food was good, overpriced. Our service was not that great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceystmsDined on 6/23/2014Food is average and pricey. On a beautiful day it's a lovely spot. View not great from lower terrace. Upper terrace often used for events and parties so if it's a view you are after check when you reserveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehMollyBDined on 6/15/2014I was excited about eating outdoors along the water on a beautiful day. We were seated promptly, and then ignored. It took nearly 15 minutes for a server to get to us--the place wasn't that busy. No one checked on us, no one brought us braes, and it took a very long too me to flag our server down for the check. A 20% gratuity was included! but you had to read the fine print to find it. The additional tip line was quite prominent, though. I won't return.Special Features:
- Go for the Gorgeous ViewscrsnycVIPDined on 6/5/2014I was looking for a special-occasion restaurant and had been to Battery Gardens a couple of times for lavish work-related events. On those occasions--lots of fancy hors d'oeuvres and a raw bar--I thought the food was excellent. And the views are perfect: on the water, sunset over the Statue of Liberty, always lovely. It seemed like a great choice for a birthday celebration. Unfortunately, though the views didn't disappoint, the food did. It wasn't bad, just pedestrian; bland and unimaginative (and quite small portions for the money). The best choice was actually my son's pizza (not my expensive lobster risotto). I'd recommend this restaurant for drinks (especially outdoors), snacks, and views, but not for a fabulous meal.Special Features:
- Very good foodHappyDinerDined on 6/4/2014I started with the Tomato Basil soup. Good fresh chunks of tomato, but not enough basil for my liking. My wife had the mixed green salad , which was fresh and nicely dressed. I had a Salmon filet which was good size and nicely cooked. Not rare, but not overdone(which was my preference). Served with lentils and tomatoes bits. My wife had steak frites. The steak was rare as ordered and tender. The frites were good and hot, but lacking the advertised truffle oil. The panama cotta with strawberries was very good. The chocolate chip ice cream cookie was tasty, although the cookie was crisp, but it didn't stop me from eating both sandwiches. We ordered from the prix fixe menu which was a good value. The outdoor dining was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor diningBobdelandeDined on 6/1/2014It was a great pleasure - weather permitting - to have lunch with some good friends on the terrace while overlooking Liberty Statue, Ellis Island and Governors Island from iconic Battery Park. You're in the midst of movement: people walking and biking the Park, ferryboats landing and departing, sailships passing by, helicopters from all directions, without ever experiencing disturbing noise. Don't expect exceptional culinary miracles, but the food is really good, with excellent ingredients. We will definitely return here with other friends as the occasion occurs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let me know when I bookMikeDined on 5/31/2014We had dinner about 6PM on Saturday. The food and service was excellent. Unfortunately, a wedding took over the entire restaurant and the upper terrace of the patio. We were seated at the lower terrace level and the view of the harbor was substantially obstructed by a hedge around the terrace. Our waiter told us that this is a normal occurrence on weekends. The terrace is not covered, nor were there any space heaters, so check the weather forecast before you go. Also, when you book, they should give you the location of a garage in the area. Street parking does not exist and many of the area garages close early. The food was great and I would go back- maybe midweek. Hopefully, they will do something about the hedge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/25/2014Hadn't been here in a while and it was such a pleasant day to eat outside, it reminded me what a gem the restaurant is.Special Features:
- Wonderful Experience85OnTheRoadDined on 5/17/2014Our wonderful experience started with arriving to an amazing view walking up to the restaurant. The view was stunning with the ferries and boats going by with the Statue of Liberty behind. We were met at the door by the wonderful staff and sat by the window overlooking the view of the Statue of Liberty. We dined late evening and they had a private party earlier however the dining area was clean. From the wine to the appetizers and then the dinner we were extremely pleased with the presentation and quality of the meal. The owner of the restaurant walked through the dining room checking on tables which was an added bonus to the evening.Special Features:
- My Favorite Spot in New York CityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014We could not have picked a better place for a wonderful Mother's Day Brunch on a beautiful spring day in Manhattan. Battery Gardens has never disappointed me, my family or friends. The food is excellent, the staff is excellent ant the ambiance is wonderful. We have gone to Battery Gardens for special occasions as well as just a quick bite to eat or cocktails overlooking the Lady in the Harbor!! Owner and host, Paul Nicaj always makes his guests feel welcome. He is a warm and charming host. I recommend this lovely establishment to all our friends.Special Features:
- Beautiful placekitty358VIPDined on 5/11/2014We went there yesterday for Mother's day brunch. Excellent food, waiters were very attentive and accommodating with my 10-year old's request. The Filet Mignon melted in my mouth. My only negative thing was more a personal taste, we did not care for the Sno Cone parfait. I would totally recommend this place.Special Features:
- Best Part was the ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/4/2014Food was unremarkable but the view of New York Harbor and the Statue of Liberty make up for it.Special Features:
- Highly recommended!GregDined on 4/1/2014Good food, good service, beautiful ambiance, and amazing views. Unfortunately the outdoor patio was not yet open, but I have no negative remarks about dining here. It is pricey but that was to be expected. If its a beatiful day out and your in lower manhattan, I strongly recommend making a stop here.Special Features: