Houston, TX 77002Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.batangahouston.com/
- Phone: 7132249500x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Thurs: 11 a.m. - 10 p.m.
Fri - Sat: 11 a.m. - 11 p.m.
Sun: 11 a.m. - 11 p.m.
Sun - Thurs 11 a.m. - 12 a.m.
Fri - Sat 11 a.m. - 2 a.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Latin / Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Ray Vandergaag
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We feature live Latin Music from some of Houston's best known artists every Wednesday through Saturday, including Samba, Bossa Nova, Flamenco, Salsa, Merengue and more.
- Cross Street: Travis
- Public Transit: One block from the Preston Stop on the Houston Metro Light Rail.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking Thursday, Friday and Saturday at our front door. Free parking on city streets Monday - Saturday after 6:00 p.m. and all day Sunday. Hundreds of paid parking spots within two blocks on surface lots and garages.
A word from Batanga
Tapas (small plates) restaurant featuring dishes from various regions of Spain and Latin America, such as Colombia, Brazil, Mexico, Cuba, Peru, Chile, Argentina, and more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Batanga - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Batanga reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (79)good for groups (65)fit for foodies (47)hot spot (34)neighborhood gem (30)special occasion (26)romantic (26)late-night find (23)vibrant bar scene (21)great for brunch (19)great for lunch (13)scenic view (11)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- My Experiance at BatangaDLB0789Dined on 10/18/2014Over all this was a super cute place I loved everything about the atmosphere. The food was really good! My only complaint would be the chairs are super uncomfortable.Special Features:
- DelightfulLeslieDined on 10/18/2014I cannot wait to go back and try more of the amazing tapas. We tried six and five out of the six were definate gems. I won't order the Cerviche again, but the mushrooms, quail, bacon wrapped dates, tuna, and beef were all excellent. It was our wedding anniversary (33 years) and I could not be happier with our choice. We will definately return and bring a group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice but poor servicejemejoVIPDined on 10/17/2014Food's good and so is setting, but service is always poor even though staff is nice. Takes forever to get a drink, then a while to have a complete table setting, and then waiters aimlessly wandering from table to table asking if this or that is your food ... sometimes it is, other times it isn't. Happens every time we go. Just very poor restaurant management.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodYummyTummyDined on 10/12/2014Went for brunch and there was plenty of seating since I got there around 11:30. They have a great brunch menu and the stuffed french toast are one of a kind! So many flavors in one bite, but I could say that about all the things that's my party and I ordered. We sat outside and it was very pleasant due to the umbreallas they have for the tables and the building itself provides some shade. Service was consistent on checking in to see if everyting was well and if we needed anything, but they had a good balance of the time in between drop ins. Overall this place is great for brunch! I plan on coming back for dinner sometime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find across from Hotel IconMarticoDined on 10/11/2014Saw this neat place across from the hotel and gave it a go after checking Trip Advisor. It was a real pleasure to eat here - friendly staff, good service, and interesting take on Tapas food. Very enjoyable eveningSpecial Features:
- Such a fun place to visitJoytiDined on 10/11/2014Great tapas. Wonderful music and atmosphere Recommend meeting up w friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/10/2014We come here 2-3 times a month… it's always a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceService101Dined on 10/4/2014The service was the worst I have ever seen here. It took 45min for drink orders and even longer to refill water. The waiter either was bad or swamped but no excuse. A lot of the drink orders was just beers so should have been fast.Special Features:
- disappointedfoodie2Dined on 10/4/2014Great drinks/bartenders but poor customer service in the dinning area and horrible food.Special Features:
- Last Minute Happy Hourr063rtDined on 10/3/2014On a whim decided to finally go to Batanga! The Happy Hour servings were great and well priced! Delicious as well. The olives were seasoned so well and the chickpea was perfect. Those ribs were amazing as well. We loved the table, wanted to sit outside but they were booked for an event. It was setup gorgeous for the event though and lovely to see. Well definitely go back!Special Features:
- Great patio, food...blehYummytummyDined on 9/27/2014Sitting on the patio was great! You do not feel like you are in Houston. The food was fair, I have had better. I did however enjoy their speciality cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014The worst service I've ever received at a restaurant- no one even greeted us at our table for 30 minutes after sitting down and it was by the hostess. 30 min in and we didn't have enough waters, plates, silverware and had one menu to share amongst 10 people. After waiting for 30 min, no server ever came, only the hostess, who took our order but was very flustered as she was doing the job of a server in addition to our own. When we addressed the issue with the manager, he said that he would get our server but was not apologetic. A server finally came to take a drink order but never apologized for not getting to us for 40 minutes. He served us a round of drinks but didn't even get everyone's drink orders and one friend never got hers.
- Will not returnKateDined on 9/20/2014A group of 12 ladies out to enjoy a nice dinner and drinks. Took 25 minutes for our drinks to be delivered and only 6 came out! The other 6 took an additional 10 minutes. Mojito's were a disappointment! Food was delivered in a chaotic manner. Some dishes did not even come and we asked for them several times. After being there for 3 hours we had only 2 rounds of drinks! Server could not keep up. Finally, we asked for our bill. 45 minutes later... 2 managers were trying to assist the server with our bill. They delivered a round of drinks to our table to make up for the delay... Nothing like a non-alcoholic mojito! Then we receive our bill. It was not accurate but we paid our $500 and left. Management could have handled much better!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014First time, great for outdoor dining. In downtown and a place to hangout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeabeelove08Dined on 9/19/2014I had an awesome night here with my friends, there will definitely be a next!! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but terrible service!ChantelleVIPDined on 9/13/2014The food is really good if you can put up with the horrible and slow service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere,disappointing foodOutdoordinerDined on 9/13/2014We had reservations at 7:30pm on a Saturday night. We showed up late because parking in the area was horrific but we were seated right away upon arrival. Many of the reviews we read prior to coming noted slow service for food and drinks. We did not have this experience, with the exception of one of the dishes we ordered (they must have forgotten it). The server was quick and we didn't have to wait long for food, drinks, or anything else we requested. The food itself was not so great. We had shrimp, empanadas, hangar steak, grilled avacado, chicken skewers, fish tacos, & tres leches. The meats were all over cooked. The chicken - although a little dry-had good flavor. The hangar steak was bland. however, the shrimp & tres leches were good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014The order was messed up and we only received 3 dishes in stead of 10! Had to cancel the rest as by the time the waiter noticed it was too late as we had to leave for a concert!Special Features:
- Dinner: Food is GreatBrunchDined on 9/13/2014The food was fantastic. I recommend on that alone. Our waiter, Mario, was great too. However, the bar/bartender(s) need(s) alot to improve. I understand that drinks take time but at one point we waited 15 minutes for our drinks. We also ordered coffee with Bailey's and a B-52. That's not what we received nor received on time. We were already on our 2nd cup. Alot of improvement is required to getting drinks out in a more appropriate manner and time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy & laid-back.LokeVIPDined on 9/12/2014Perfect place to unwind after office. We enjoyed the mussels, mushroom croquette, chef special ceviche, crispy potatoes but definitely will not order the meatballs again. Downside is trying to park our car cos we couldn't find the valet and with the heavy traffic in the area we had to circle 3 times before deciding to park at The Icon Hotel across the street. Waiter was very attentive and worked hard to ensure all went well BUT we had to wait quite awhile before someone came to seat us. Noticed the same with other patrons.....soon a crowd is around the entrance waiting to be seated even though there were many empty tables. Need a more efficient hostess/greeter.Special Features:
- nothappyDined on 9/5/2014The service was outstanding. The food is not worth the effort. The food, especially, the fried food had a taste as if the oil was old and was used on every single item so the flavor could not be distinguished. The calamari was to spicy and when told, the waiter took the plate back and I recieved back a plate with less calamari and spicier. I would suggest the owner and the chief taste the food that is going out to their customers.
- TapasKTMemphisVIPDined on 8/31/2014First, I was seated under a leak so I moved into the aisle. We waited 15 min for a waitress and watched people who were sat after us receive water and have their orders taken. We were finally helped and Priscilla, our waitress, moved us to a new table. They were out of th hanger steak so that was disappointing. The ceviche was not good but the bacon wrapped dates were amazing. To top it off, the restaurant marked me as a no-show and I had to work to get their error resolved.Special Features:
- Non Houston feeling restaurantHungryaxonDined on 8/29/2014Brilliant atmosphere, felt as if we were in some magical place and not in Houston. Food is delicious but the service is slowSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, average serviceKarlynn113Dined on 8/27/2014Excellent tapas and flavor in the food! Can choose between adorable outdoor patio with a view of downtown courtyard or sit inside with live music. My only complaint was it took a waiter 15 minutes to greet us at the table, and it was only when we told the hostess that we hadn't been seen yet. The wait staff seemed confused on who was supposed to pick up our table (we sat outside). Other than that, The waitress was very apologetic and helpful with answering questions about their menu. Favorites were the PORK BELLY and PORK RIBS and Kale Salad. Overall, the excellent food and great atmosphere! Definitely will need to come back to try the paella.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/23/2014Made a reservation, but when we arrived there was only seating available outside.
- Bad Food/ Terrible ServiceEater08VIPDined on 8/22/2014There are way too many restaurants in this town to waste your time or money at Batanga.
- TastyDined on 8/20/2014waitress was a bit dingy and it was kind of loud but overall Great food, wonderful mojitos, Probably the best patio in Houston, LIVE music.Special Features:
- Tapas made rightBobDVIPDined on 8/18/2014Batanga is just that. Food is great, service is prompt, friendly and attentive. Bacon wrapped dates and paella are not to be missed. Wine list is carried and prices are reasonable. If you're a tapas person this is a place to go.Special Features:
- Tiny bites, big flavorAlysiamaeDined on 8/17/2014Headed to Batanga for a date night with my super hard to please gf and she was in love. The ambiance was just right, not to dark or loud. We ordered calamari, bacon wrapped dates, hangar steak, olives, and beet salad. Everything was delicious and slightly different from the typical. My only regret we didn't bring more people so we could sample more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good tapas, big portionsFeaselDined on 8/17/2014Went for a quick dinner here before heading to the cinema on a Sunday night. We were advised that you needed about 3 tapas dishes per person so that's what my husband and I ordered - in fact, we probably could have managed with only 5 between us. Our friends shared a 2-person paella and 2 tapas dishes and came nowhere close to finishing the paella - it was huge! All of our tapas was good though, and our friends liked the paella, and food was served quickly. If we're in the area again, would certainly consider going back to try more of the tapas dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They have great brunch drink prces2amoursundaybrunchDined on 8/17/2014I would recommend for the good brunch drink prices and the food was pretty good but we did have two dirty glasses that we had to notify the waitress about and we had to beg then to do separate checks and there were only 4 of us. On the menu it says no separate checks for groups of 8 or more so that was misleading! Service was slightly slow even though the restaurant wasn't full but the staff was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food could be betterlizjazvilDined on 8/16/2014The tapas we selected were okay. The big beef dish pretty good. Liked the fries. Compared to the other tapas place (spanish tapas) & expected more from Batanga. Ambiance is fantastic. Not a fan of Brazilian music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurfergirlVIPDined on 8/16/2014Our server came by to take drink orders & asked for our food selections at the same time. One would think she'd offer to put drink orders in and then come back, but she just stood there looking at us while we looked at menu. Food arrived and it was good. We inquired about our glasses of wine. We inquired a 2nd and 3rd time, but no luck. My husband went to bar & ordered wine and brought it back to table for us. The wine we originally ordered showed up after we were done eating. We requested bill - we were charged twice for two items and charged for a dish we didn't order. We considered asking for mgr, but by this time the experience was a joke. Overall score of fair only because food was very good.Special Features:
- Fun Tapas night at BatangaRutlanddinersVIPDined on 8/10/2014One if the benefits of downtown living is a vibrant restaurant scene. Batanga fit that nicely. We had a taps sampler of 8 tapas, ranging from fish tacos to yucca fries, and a bonus 50% off bottles of wine on Sundays! Great fun, good food. Definitely a return trip in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor at bestBloodyleprechaunDined on 8/8/2014While our waiter was friendly, the delivery staff was awful. Food was literally pitched onto the table and no care was made to where it was placed. In a tapas restaurant you want to make sure everyone at the table has access to the food. The food resembled dog food at times and tasted like mediocre fast food. The food was something I would be appalled at serving in my own home.Special Features:
- okayCjandcjVIPDined on 8/6/2014this restaurant is just ok, nothing amazing or extravagant. would not go back. bill still ended up >$100 for 2 people and the food was not that memorable.Special Features:
- Horrible expierenceDutchtexasDined on 8/3/2014We went here for Houston returaunt week and ended up having an entirely awful expierence. I got the cucumber and avocado salad, the steak, and the tres leches.It took sometime to get the salad which wouldn't have been an issue if the salad wasn't awful.There was so much lemon juice on the thing that it was difficult to eat.Everything up to this point was tolerable it wasn't until we waited for almost an hour to get our steak only seeing our waitor once that my girlfriend and i started to get upset.However after seeing an overcooked steak that looked like it had sat under a heat lamp that we began to get really annoyed.Then we tried to eat the steak. The steak was disgusting.if we didn't have to meet someone I would've sent it back and left
- Yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014Really enjoyed Batanga for dinner. Food was great and our server was very helpful in picking dishes and drinks to compliment them. Each dish was great! We sat inside, but the patio area is awesome. Would go again and probably go for brunch next time.Special Features:
- HoustonVIPDined on 8/1/2014Really great! Had only been here for lunch before. Made a reservation for a work diner. Although I was late the hostess was very nice and our waiter coulnd't have been better. The group was happy about having tapas/small bites because it allowed everyone to taste a little of everything. Very authentic cocktails!!!!!Special Features:
- Nice Spot for Early DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2014Enjoyed an early dinner here. Service was properly attentive. Food was good but not great. However, the Happy Hour pricing on select drinks and food made it a real bargain. Ribs were meaty though a bit fatty and served a bit lukewarm. Califlower dish was good but lacked punch - a bit bland. Four small plates made a nice dinner for two.