49 Melcher Street
Boston, MA 02212Neighborhood:
Fort Point Channel
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bastillekitchen.net/
- Phone: (617) 556-8000
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Adam Kube
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: A Street & Summer Street
- Public Transit: Bastille Kitchen is easily accessible by the MBTA"s red line via South Station. From South Station head North toward Summer Street then turn Right onto Summer Street. Turn Right onto Melcher Street and the restaurant will be located on the right. The walk will take you roughly 5 minutes. Please do not hesitate to call us if you have any issues.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We have arranged $5 validated parking as a courtesy to our guests at the Necco Street Garage directly behind the restaurant. Validation is available Monday through Friday after 5 PM. Parking is available for $5 all day on Saturday and Sunday.
A word from Bastille Kitchen
Bastille Kitchen is a neighborhood bistro that is reminiscent of those found along the streets of Paris. Situated at 49 Melcher Street in Boston’s historic Fort Point district, Bastille Kitchen is committed to providing value to our guests while delivering unrivaled food quality, au fait beverage service, and unpretentious hospitality. Our fare is classic Parisian bistro with a touch of modern influence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bastille Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
217 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (121)good for groups (90)special occasion (84)neighborhood gem (80)hot spot (78)romantic (70)vibrant bar scene (70)notable wine list (40)late-night find (18)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- pretty awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 11/24/2014this place stacks up well against NYC gold standard of french bistro dining, Balthazar. The steak tartare was different but awesome, short rib wellington and the vanilla butter poached lobster were really outstanding and perfect truffle fries. great, prompt service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NeveronSundaysDined on 11/21/2014Appetixers, including Fruit des mer extremely mediocre and the brioche on the foie gras was stale. Main courses were fantastic...the cod and lamb shank were top notch. The service is very amaetuerish...the waiter was quite proud to tell me that the chablis I ordered was in fact a sauvignon blanc. "We have one of the only chablis that is sauvignon..." Of course, when I asked for a glass of chablis to enjoy with my oysters I wasn't expecting to be surprised. Stylish place, great cocktail bar. The place is just not really a serious restaurant. It is more like a serious night club serving french-type food.Special Features:
- First visit, won't be the lastSharon123Dined on 11/17/2014There is nothing but "great" to describe my first visit to Bastille Kitchen. Parking was easy, the place is beautiful and spacious, the service was attentive and very customer-oriented, and the food and wine were excellent. My party of 6 all agreed that this is a MUST COME AGAIN. Excellent first impression.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A 50%-50% Split!FoodLoverDined on 11/15/2014The restaurant was cold/drafty. My meal was great. My wife's meal was not so great. Unfortunately it was her birthday! Her escargot was rubbery, her frites were cold and her cod entry was tasteless. My salad was good, the lamb shank was great but my frites were cold as well. I will say the broccoli rabe was fantastic. I also thought they had a poor selection for deserts. Because of the mixed results I am willing to give them a second chance. Just one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience, not so great dining experienceMandyLewDined on 11/14/2014My friends and I had high expectations of Bastille Kitchen. Unfortunately the ambience of the restaurant does not match the dining experience. The ambience is incredible; I love the décor, the basement lounge is amazing. It is breathable yet cozy. Our dining experience was not great. Our waiter was not very knowledgeable about wine, and did not have much input in the food. We felt rushed the entire time; the staff on the dining floor were way too pushy when it came to clearing our plates. The food itself was mediocre. Good but not outstanding. Not good enough to be memorable. I would come back for drinks, but I would not eat dinner here again.Special Features:
- Was hoping to love this placeeuniw84Dined on 11/14/2014My best friend and I decided to check out Bastille kitchen. We immediately loved the decor and ambience there. The restaurant is very beautiful. We decided to order and share a few apps, flat bread, and the octopus cerviche. Everything we shared was just ok and mostly pretty bland. We also felt a little rushed by the servers. I was hoping to love this place but I think its a one and done kinda deal.
- great place for drinks... onlyhonestfoodieVIPDined on 11/11/2014The lounge was nice. The restaurant looks great, with high ceiling. The croissants for the table were probably the best thing we ate. I envisioned the onion soup with fried egg to be a lightly fried, like poached egg on steaming hot soup but got a greasy fried egg on lukewarm half flavored soup with the cheese not melted. Escargots, not in shells, but in a soup like sauce which tasted like raw sherry... Steak frites was ok. Butter poached lobster was more like a split in half stir fried overcook one instead. Creme brulee had this weird gello liketexture, like they used corn starch instead of cream, not good. Overall, the food was disappointing, which was a shame because the space and service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Biggest Waste of Money in BostonwakawakawakaVIPDined on 11/7/2014My party of 4 was sat at a table for 6-8 people, so we could barely hear each other, and were sat next to two large groups, so I couldn't even hear myself think. I had to literally shout my order to the waitress, which is not what I expect at such a high-priced venue. The reservationist should be fired, because we absolutely should have been sat somewhere else. The food was terrible: mushy gnocchi, tough pork shank, and unevenly cooked scallops. Of course, the waitress didn't bother to check in until the end, when she tried to foist dessert upon us. The best anyone could say about anything they ate was "it was fine." If you want a $400+ bill for "fine" food, then this is the place for you.Special Features:
- lovely space nice food tiny portionCiaoMarisaVIPDined on 11/6/2014first trip. beautiful space. portions are small. special occasion prices.Special Features:
- Horrible servicearielVIPDined on 11/4/2014Essentially ignores by our waiter the entire meal.
- SuperbEastbankhankDined on 11/1/2014A superb restaurant - the food is just exactly perfect.Special Features:
- Earl WLongTimeFanVIPDined on 11/1/2014excellent meal with attractive and comfortable atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bon Appetit!!eatwell7Dined on 10/24/2014This was our first experience at this little gem so, had no preconceived notions. It was a birthday celebration and couldn't have been better!! The food is brilliant and the service is impeccable! Our party of four chose a non-traditional perusal of the menu (mostly the appetizers) ordering several items that we shared and tasted and were accommodated without issue. The specialty cocktails are unique and wonderful. We easily spent three hours enjoying our several "courses" as we tried many options. Never once were we made to feel rushed or that we irritated the staff. Lovely, wonderful...French food to make a mouth water in anticipation and in recall!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big space!!IballVIPDined on 10/19/2014Went on a Sunday evening and was impressed how full they were. Mussel app is tasty. Cod is yummy- wrapped in bacon- how could it not be? Lots of variety of French food. Service was great! Ki was a great waiter. The seafood stew was full of seafood but not well seasoned. Great bar downstairs too...Special Features:
- Good French BistroPeterkussellVIPDined on 10/18/2014Boston doesn't have a lot of easy going French bistro type restaurants. It has Menton, which costs a small fortune and is very very upscale and elegant. Bastille Kitchen is definitely more affordable and laid back, but has distinctly French atmosphere and menu. The waiters are all native French, so you can try out your francais and also they don't have the attitude of Parisian waiters...a good thing. The food was definitely French bistro, with good portion size and interesting creations. The wine list was good for single glasses and good variety for full bottles. Place was definitely lively and pretty high volume - but that was a Saturday night with near capacity seating at 8-10 PM. Walls have a lot of brick and so sound bounces around.Special Features:
- great new restaurantjenjVIPDined on 10/18/2014I've been here twice and loved it both times. Definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- Great ambiance, good food.JessiccaDined on 10/15/2014Ambiance was great, food was good....appetizers were wonderful, entrees were ok. we got the mussels and french onion soup for an app, and they were both great. For entrees, our waiter said that the cod was wonderful, however it was just ok, I really enjoy seafood, and did NOT love it. My fiancé ordered the short ribs, and thought it was great. The SERVICE WAS TERRIBLE!!! Our waiter made us wait soooo long for each course....drink order, app order, dinner order, and forgot our second round of drinks. It was dreadful....the young manager checked on the older couple next to us, and walked right past us. They clearly were having a better experience than us. If you want just ok food, with terrible service, go to bastille.Special Features:
- Great SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014Very cool spot in a hot area. The space is open and not too loud, but very vibrant. Downstairs bar was super cool.Special Features:
- Great dinnerReginaDined on 10/10/2014Enjoyed our dinner at Bastille . Drinks were great, had the the Paris st Germain. For apps we had octopus ceviche and steak tartar, which was incredible . I had cod for entree which was delicious .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous new place!JaneDined on 10/10/2014When will you open for lunch? Everyone enjoyed the ambiance, food and excellent service. Great decor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stick with the AppetizersPapaBDined on 10/10/2014We got three courses and the appetizers were by far comprised of the best dishes. The steak tartar is one of the most unique takes on the classic dish that I have had. The mix of mustard and steak on top of a fried pickle is perfect. The house cured salmon was also amazing - salty, smoky, and creamy. I highly recommend these dishes. Unfortunately, the scallops could not live up to the standard set by the appetizers. The scallops were well made, but the lobster risotto was not creamy enough and had a toothy mouth feel. Similiarly the pork chop was cooked perfectly, but the potatoes that the pork chop was served on were disappointing - overcooked on the outside and undercooked on the inside and not seasoned properly.
- Exquisite in all respectsgotringsDined on 10/5/2014Impeccable service, excellent food, beautiful restaurant and wonderful champagne.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidTreefingersDined on 10/4/2014Tea smoked mussels were super, and the pistachio creme brûlée a nice way to wrap it up. Both entrees: Pork Chop Au Poivre and Short Rib Wellington were solid. Nice wine by the glass list, RecommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShaLeeALHADined on 10/4/2014My husband and I reserved a table at Bastille to celebrate our anniversary...out, and far away from our own children. Unfortunately we were seated next to two parties WITH children. It was a bit disappointing. Everything else really couldn't have been better, but some thought about strategic placement of diners would go a long way toward keeping the atmosphere more relaxing and enjoyable for all.Special Features:
- Unbelievable food::DEF MUSTStellaBlueDined on 10/3/2014A few great spots in Boston have closed over the past year or so. I'm Trying to branch out and this one was on my list and it popped to the top for a special occasion. I have not had food this good in the city in AGES. The whole "experience" was perfect from in to out. Gorgeous space, kind people, and belicious food! Oh! And unpretentious which is very hard to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing food & outstanding servicecamilleDined on 10/1/2014Everything we had ordered was amazing, the steak tartare and gnocci as apps were perfectly cooked, usually gnocci is a little gummy but at bastille it just melted in your mouth. The vanilla butter lobster was a bit of a splurge but worth it! I have never eaten better. I don't remember our server's name but he was outstanding, great suggestion for the wine pairing. We did have to wait around 30 minutes for our table but these things can happen.. it was worth the wait! Would definitely recommend to friends and would return on my next visit to Boston. Would suggest making a reservation like we did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisy tasty kitchenme1nyVIPDined on 10/1/2014The lamb shank with eggplant & grits was tasty with herbs & rich juices, the port chop was generous and accompanied by delicious veggies, the hangar steak was prepared medium rare & juicy just perfectly though the fries were greasy. The tongue flatbread pizza with mushroom was an unexpected find…But the noise level made it not so comfortable to dine…second cup of coffee not offered as it seemed we were rushed out for the next party to be seated..So even if you dine on a weekday early evening this is a jumping bar scene….discounted parking a plus though you only find out by calling the restaurant. They don't seem very well organized as the hostess staff seemed to be confused about where to seat us.Special Features:
- nice addition to Fort PointRegulardinerVIPDined on 9/25/2014We had a delightful meal. It is very loud, but the food and service were suberb.Special Features:
- Great spot for tasty foodAimes10Dined on 9/24/2014Great new spot, I'll definitely be going back soon!Special Features:
- Try the LambBenUDined on 9/23/2014The Lamb shank was delicious and enormous. The service was perfect. A great night was had by all!Special Features:
- JohnVIPDined on 9/22/2014Was surprised at how relatively quiet the restaurant was but this may be because we went on a Monday evening. The room was very large and nice decor......almost like a club rather than a restaurant. I found it appealing. Was disappointed that my Moscow Mule cocktail did not come in traditional copper mug and the ice was not crushed. This was very low end for such a large and appealingly designed bar / restaurant. My chicken was very good but the scallops were overlooked. Mussel appetizer was very good but the lobster taste was so so Would be a nice bar room to meet and then stay for a meal but not a destination restaurant by any means.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance better than the foodSusieQDined on 9/22/2014Food is sometimes a little too cute at this renovated industrial style restaurant. Sweetbreads were unrecognizable by appearance or taste and incredibly difficult to eat so stay away. Gnocchi Parmesan too rich an d too much as an appetizer. Perch meunière amandine were heavy and fatty not lite and delicateSpecial Features:
- A+ food & atmosphere, F serviceShooflyDined on 9/20/2014Four of us made a reservation for 9 pm, we arrived at 8:30 to have a drink at the bar. The place is spectacular. The drinks were delicious, but the female bartender was actually down right rude. At 9:10 we were told that our table wasn't ready and we should go downstairs and check out the bar. So we did. Again, spectacular space. We all ordered great wine by the glass. At 9:40 our table was ready. We placed in the back of the restaurant where many tables were missing, so it was isolating and we asked to be moved. We finally got a new table at 10pm. Took about 10 minutes to get water and our french accented waiter seemed tired and overwhelmed. We ordered lots of wine and had an unbelievably delicious meal. PS - lots of bulbs out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- top notch French dining at bargainBingVIPDined on 9/18/2014Wonderful serving staff, widely spaced tables, and thoughtful preparation of foods made up for its lackluster Bastille like location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Ambiance, But....KADoVIPDined on 9/13/2014Food was terrific, and it's a beautiful restaurant. The Servers are excellent too, personable and know their business. BUT the Kitchen is slow, and the Host/Hostess don't know how to manage their seating list. We waited over 1 hour to be seated for an 8:15pm reservation, plus we had "2 VIP Parties" seated ahead of us. They offered us a round of drinks and then never comp'd them and by 11pm we didn't notice. I'd go again, but try for a early reservation with the expectation of delayed seating again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A keeperWonderlandDined on 9/13/2014Loved that you could actually talk to your companions. Nice and quiet. Loved it. (The parking vouchers didn't seem to work for two of us.)Special Features:
- We'll be back soonOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014We decided to try a new place and couldn't have been happier with the results. The food was truly superior, punctuated most notably by the short ribs wellington. The onion soup was strikingly good, an uncommon comment for me to make on onion soup, which I love but doesn't often stand out. The decor is open and comfortable while still feeling intimate for a romantic dinner. Above all, the wait staff was superior in all aspects without any of the pretentiousness often found in a new upscale restaurant. Kai (hope my spelling is correct) took excellent care of us. We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CongratsMoopDined on 9/12/2014It is nice to see a new Boston restaurant open in full stride. The food was excellent. The wine list was well priced. The service was solid. The space is cool. I had the proscuito wrapped cod, came served in the pan, which kept it hot, on top of a delicious bed of beans and rabe...my wife had the boulebaise - excellent...Special Features:
- Enjoyed it during first visitgoldiemackVIPDined on 9/11/2014My best friend and I had dinner here since I'd heard buzz about the place. We sat in the upstairs part, where we had a booth made for two. Decor and lighting contributed to a very nice overall ambiance. Very capable service, good food, excellent cocktails. We had steak tartare, escargots, steak frites, apple tart tartin. They know how to make a quality Sazerac, which can a tough drink to find. Overall, a very nice experience. I would certainly return.Special Features:
- Service was poor; never to returnNotfuturecustomerDined on 9/11/2014Appetizers were good but entrees were B's and C's.