49 Melcher Street
Boston, MA 02212Neighborhood:
Fort Point Channel
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bastillekitchen.net/
- Phone: 6175568000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Adam Kube
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Bastille Kitchen offers two private dining rooms. The upper level is an exclusive and intimate 30 seat dining room that is perfect for private and business entertaining. Chalet is located on the lower level and may be booked for personalized private functions up to 140 guests. Chalet is conveniently equipped with a full service bar. Please contact us to plan your seated lunches, dinners, receptions, or meetings. We look forward to welcoming you to Bastille Kitchen.
- Private Party Contact: Roberto Porsia 6175568000x
- Cross Street: A Street & Summer Street
- Public Transit: Bastille Kitchen is easily accessible by the MBTA"s red line via South Station. From South Station head North toward Summer Street then turn Right onto Summer Street. Turn left onto Melcher Street and the restaurant will be located on the right. The walk will take you roughly 5 minutes. Please do not hesitate to call us if you have any issues.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We have arranged $5 validated parking as a courtesy to our guests at the Necco Street Garage directly behind the restaurant. Validation is available Monday through Friday after 5 PM. Parking is available for $5 all day on Saturday and Sunday.
A word from Bastille Kitchen
Bastille Kitchen is a neighborhood bistro that is reminiscent of those found along the streets of Paris. Situated at 49 Melcher Street in Boston’s historic Fort Point district, Bastille Kitchen is committed to providing value to our guests while delivering unrivaled food quality, au fait beverage service, and unpretentious hospitality. Our fare is classic Parisian bistro with a touch of modern influence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bastille Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (52)special occasion (43)neighborhood gem (39)good for groups (37)romantic (33)hot spot (33)vibrant bar scene (28)notable wine list (16)late-night find (11)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great Food & Ambiance, But....KADoDined on 9/13/2014Food was terrific, and it's a beautiful restaurant. The Servers are excellent too, personable and know their business. BUT the Kitchen is slow, and the Host/Hostess don't know how to manage their seating list. We waited over 1 hour to be seated for an 8:15pm reservation, plus we had "2 VIP Parties" seated ahead of us. They offered us a round of drinks and then never comp'd them and by 11pm we didn't notice. I'd go again, but try for a early reservation with the expectation of delayed seating again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A keeperWonderlandDined on 9/13/2014Loved that you could actually talk to your companions. Nice and quiet. Loved it. (The parking vouchers didn't seem to work for two of us.)Special Features:
- We'll be back soonOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014We decided to try a new place and couldn't have been happier with the results. The food was truly superior, punctuated most notably by the short ribs wellington. The onion soup was strikingly good, an uncommon comment for me to make on onion soup, which I love but doesn't often stand out. The decor is open and comfortable while still feeling intimate for a romantic dinner. Above all, the wait staff was superior in all aspects without any of the pretentiousness often found in a new upscale restaurant. Kai (hope my spelling is correct) took excellent care of us. We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CongratsMoopDined on 9/12/2014It is nice to see a new Boston restaurant open in full stride. The food was excellent. The wine list was well priced. The service was solid. The space is cool. I had the proscuito wrapped cod, came served in the pan, which kept it hot, on top of a delicious bed of beans and rabe...my wife had the boulebaise - excellent...Special Features:
- Enjoyed it during first visitgoldiemackVIPDined on 9/11/2014My best friend and I had dinner here since I'd heard buzz about the place. We sat in the upstairs part, where we had a booth made for two. Decor and lighting contributed to a very nice overall ambiance. Very capable service, good food, excellent cocktails. We had steak tartare, escargots, steak frites, apple tart tartin. They know how to make a quality Sazerac, which can a tough drink to find. Overall, a very nice experience. I would certainly return.Special Features:
- Service was poor; never to returnNotfuturecustomerDined on 9/11/2014Appetizers were good but entrees were B's and C's.
- Overall wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014We had drinks at the downstairs bar before our reservation. Then we were seated and had flatbread to start, main course and dessert complimented with a bottle of wine. Service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff stuff and slow kitchen.4tPointDined on 9/9/2014We arrived 10 mins early for 4 person reservation at 7:15. We had a drink at the bar. At 7:14, we closed out our tab, expecting that one of the many empty tables in the restaurant was for us. As we were about to go to the host stand the bartender said our table wasn't ready yet. Really? We decided to each get another drink. Now it's 7:16 and the host comes over with menus. Our table is ready but our fancy cocktails are still being made. We get to the table, order, and wait. Still waiting. While the food is good, the kitchen needs to pick up their speed and the staff needs to communicate better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BuckDined on 9/7/2014EXCELLENT! Great food, decor, service. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Mediocre FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/6/2014Interesting space. The food was not very good...very disappointing...the service was good. This restaurant would be fun for a group focused on cocktails, not food. We will not go back.Special Features:
- We'll be backhrjluvsfoodVIPDined on 9/6/2014I'll begin with the ambiance, the dining room is large, open and airy. There are booths lining one wall and a banquette & chairs on the opposing wall with tables down the middle of the floor. The lighting is appropriate for dining with cool light fixtures; some people may have a little difficulty seeing the menu. We did not visit the downstairs bar/lounge area but other reviewers have raved about it. The dining room bar was vibrant and somewhat separated from the main dining area. The food was delicious; a varied and different menu. My hubby and I had the short rib wellington. It was delicious and cooked perfectly and the sides were so good. I had the bone marrow appetizer with sweetbreads, where else will you find that on the menu?Special Features:
- C'est mganifique!CondoCookVIPDined on 9/6/2014We decided to use our Open Table dining check at this new neighborhood gem for date night, and we were not disappointed. Not only was the food delicious, but our waiter, Kai, was notable as well. We enjoyed the steak tartare, escargots, frites, and some delicious cocktails. Kai suggested a fantastic Muscadet with our oysters and we enjoyed that as well. We will definitely be back, and are happy we used our treat to try such a new great place. Bon Appetite!Special Features:
- Waited for the waiterDissatisfiedDined on 9/4/2014The Cod dish is served in cast iron. I stopped eating it, because of the metallic taste. The waiter did not come by for quite a while. Another person in our party said the same thing, when he was eating his Cod. After about 15 minutes, of sitting looking at it, I gave up and ate it. Finally, the waiter came by. I mentioned the "off taste" from the iron casserole. He said that I had to have iron in my diet, and he laughed, and just cleared the table. I don't care how nice the restaurant and bar may be, I will never return. We were not shy about ordering. Our bill came to almost $300. for 4 people. It's probably a great place to bring corporate guests, who'll most likely not return, either.
- A stylish restaurantPhilDined on 9/3/2014The building has been tastefully renovated to create a great ambiance. Tables spaced well apart to give privacy. Food and service to a high standard.Special Features:
- Great new spot in Fort PointJeninSomervilleVIPDined on 9/3/2014I went here with one of my girlfriends and it's a surprisingly large space with an upstairs and downstairs bar. Very elegant. Food & wine was delicious and our waitress was extremely knowledgeable about the wine and food- she was fantastic... would go back just for her! Great place for after work drinks or a dinner with friends or spouse.Special Features:
- MehQuik79Dined on 9/3/2014The menu is a bit too eclectic and the food was fair at best and cold. We were a table of 5 and nearly everyone's dish was room temperature. They also are much too liberal with butter. The food as a result is heavy. Service, wine and cocktails were all wonderful.Special Features:
- MaggiemaggieDined on 9/2/2014In our first-ever visit, we met an out-of-town friend for dinner. The atmosphere was chic and fun, not too noisy. The staff (hostess, bar, waiters) were attentive without being intrusive. The food was very good, with a nice, diverse selection. Excellent value for what we paid. We'd definitely come back and recommend it to friends. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/31/2014Need to work on improving quality of food Not up to Boston bistro standards.
- No AC and slow serviceTDROCDined on 8/31/2014Beautiful restaurant but unfortunatlly it was over 80 degrees outside and the air conditioning didn't work. The service was good but way under staffed. An hour went by after were served before we could get our check. No mention of coffee or dessert. The food was good and everyone enjoyed it. I ordered salmon and recieved perch with quinoa without apricots and it was full of them. I didn't say anything since the waiter was so overwhelmed but it was obvious he knew they really messed it up.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, inattentive servicewhr2gonxtDined on 8/31/2014I was really looking forward to trying this place and recently took my wife here for her birthday with another couple. It is a beautiful space. The service at the bar was excellent. When seated for dinner it quickly became obvious that they were understaffed on servers as our waiter seemed to have several tables including a very large party to attend to. He was very knowledgable about the food but quickly went MIA. After both my appetizer and entrée I was left with an uncleared plate and empty wine glass for 15-20 minutes despite numerous attempts to flag staff down. When I expressed my annoyance (something I don't think I've ever done before), service suddenly went into frantic overdrive which gave the feeling of being rushed out the door.
- Great new spot!CKESbostonDined on 8/30/2014The space itself is beautiful and they spread things out in the design so you don't feel on top of the table next to you. My husband loved his beef Wellington and the chocolate mousse dessert was insane. I've read some comments about the service early on but thought the bartender, host and wait staff were all helpful and attentive. A must visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good on all levelsDine19Dined on 8/30/2014The space is big and open, but not cold or uncomfortable. It works well for both a small two top or large group, and the sound levels are managed well. The drinks and food were both great. If you have time, the bar downstairs is unique for a city spot. It will be especially nice come Fall and Winter. As the name (Chalet) would suggest, you get the comfort of a ski lodge in the basement of a city establishment. Well done all around.Special Features:
- Food not so goodSqbean80VIPDined on 8/30/2014I did not enjoy the food and my guest did not either.Special Features:
- I will go again.rftdltVIPDined on 8/30/2014Bastille Kitchen is a beautiful space. Tables are not cramped and the Bar/lounge area is so cosy and inviting. The bar offerings are unusual and very well executed. We received wonderful and attentive service from everyone, hostess, busses and especially our lovely waitress. The food was good, but not "knock your socks off" good. While acceptable, the flavors were muted and a bit bland. It was nice enough to merit a second chance.Special Features:
- 14juilletDined on 8/28/2014We had a very enjoyable experience. The waiter, the space, the decor and comfort contributed largely to give us a good time. The menu is interesting and offers original ideas. A little better care in the preparation of the courses could make it an even better place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New kid in townalysiabVIPDined on 8/26/2014Everybody's talkin bout the new kid in town great french cuisine.Big open room, great service, nice wine list and did I mention great french cuisine~!?! The short ribs Wellington are to die for, Perch was fabulous and Lobster leak appetizer was superb will be back for moreSpecial Features:
- Great new spot for fall/winterellebeeVIPDined on 8/25/2014I went here on a dinner date on a Monday night. It was quiet and expected to be busier being new. the space was beautiful and would assume the scene is better on the weekend. the downstairs is fun with a hunting lodge-chic vibe and fireplace. It would be a great space to rent for a party or just drink red wine on a winter night. Ordered the gnocchi and mussels, both very good. the gnocchi was the softest/meltiest I have ever tasted and the mussels were out of shell, interesting and delicious. As entrees, ordered the scallops and he got a steak, both large portions/heavy. A great date aside from my ex showing up also on a date with a fat girl. Will go back when it is cooler out, too heavy for a summer meal and space is enclosed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expectations Not MetDHBOSTONVIPDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I were very excited to try Bastille. We have seen so much hype that we thought it was a can't-miss. We left very disappointed. First off, we had a later reservation and we still were not sat 20-25 mins after we arrived. Normally we would be ok with that if the restaurant was crowded. We could see open tables available throughout the restaurant. Some highlights: The Onion Soup was terrific and some of the other small plates were good. Really the worst part of our dining experience was our waiter. His lack of attention to us and other surrounding tables was just not acceptable. He seemed disinterested and his demeanor was a big turnoff. I hope that there are some changes as we live in Southie and love all the new restaurants.Special Features:
- Great Evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014We ended up staying at the bar cause Dara (I think I spelled it right) was just so personable and made a great martini. We shared a couple of apps all of which where delicious! Will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Promising SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/23/2014Beautiful and comfortable restaurant and bars. Just sat at the bar and had a few snacks and a drinks. Food was very good and service was terrific.Special Features:
- Perfect for everybodyDTXxxVIPDined on 8/22/2014singles, couples or groups, seating perfect for everyone. Great food and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding all aroundAlysiaVIPDined on 8/22/2014Had an excellent meal with fabulous service. LOVED our appetizers, drinks and entrees. The foie gras with the beef wellington was remarkable and cooked to perfection. The mussels had tremendous flavor and the steak tartare was very flavorful. Will definitely be going back. Our table had a few desserts, I hate to say it but I was less than impressed with all of them. Regardless, I am looking forward to round 2 at Bastille in the near future. Thanks for a great night!Special Features:
- Awful serviceanavarVIPDined on 8/18/2014Food is just not good enough,service is bad and unattentive.
- New restaurantNightdinerDined on 8/16/2014Potential to be very good as it just opened. We would recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014The hostess was very rude when we entered and not welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful new restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014We had the best waiter (Patrick) and the ambiance is wonderful there! Next time will go back to enjoy the lounge downstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- place to check outOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/15/2014it was our first time here, has opened only for three weeks now. They need more waiter to serve tables, service was slow and sporadic and communication unpredictable, friendly or formal, you could not predict? I had a duck confit salad, vinegar on it was overwhelming, steak frits was okay but frits was very greasy, my friend had a lobster tart she absolutely loved it and than house smoked salmon, she liked it but I did not like the taste, it tasted raw fish to me, not sushi and not as smoked salmon. We had pistachio Creme brulee but it tasted like it had imitation almond extract in it, it was too strong in taste. Overall, it is okay place, I probably give another shot at it if I run out of other places to taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2014I had such high expectations for this new restaurant, but it failed me. The food was bland. We tried 3 apps and a main course, and it all left something to be desired. The only good part about this place is that the restaurant itself is gorgeous! I would only go back for drinks in the bar/lounge area.Special Features:
- Newly openedSLLFVIPDined on 8/13/2014Like all new restaurants, Bastille Kitchen needs to work out a few kinks service wise and on getting food from kitchen to table. What it does have going for it is a creative menu and great food. The wine list is a bit pricey, but overall offerings are good. Expect to pay close to $200 for 2 with a moderate ($40) bottle of wine, appetizers and main course. We split the choc. mouse with marshmellow and it was one of the best desserts we have had and it is definately big enough to share so a must have! Overall enjoyable, but given the price points and the "off the beaten track" location, Bastille Kitchen needs to work on the overall service and maybe a few bar offerings for the after work crowd.Special Features:
- Not Quite Right!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2014Ambiance and service was great, the food not so much. The Steak Frites was not cut properly, and was very rubbery. Cocktails are amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.