Bastille Cafe & Bar
5307 Ballard Ave NW
Seattle, WA 98107Neighborhood:
Ballard / Fremont
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Bastille Cafe & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bastilleseattle.com/
- Phone: (206) 453-5014
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Su-Th 5:30-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:30pm-11:00pm
Brunch: Su 10:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: French, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Jason Stoneburner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Holly Robinson 2068615199
A word from Bastille Cafe & Bar
Opened in June of 2009 and housed in an historic 1920’s building in Seattle’s Old Ballard neighborhood, Bastille Café & Bar is a bustling homage to a Parisian brasserie. Owners Deming Maclise and James Weimann scoured Paris flea markets and local salvage stores for vintage accessories to create a truly authentic feel. From the white subway tiles, antique mirrors, and Paris Metro clock to the zinc-topped bar and stunning crystal chandelier that takes center stage in the Back Bar; they’ve truly hit the mark. Chef Jason Stoneburner creates French focused cuisine inspired by the abundance of seasonal product found locally---and it doesn’t get any more local than the restaurants 4500-square-foot organic rooftop garden. The wine list is French focused with a smattering of NW wines and the bar offers an extensive collection of absinthe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Bastille Cafe & Bar - Best Restaurants in Ballard / Fremont ›
Bastille Cafe & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (90)neighborhood gem (70)romantic (59)special occasion (55)great for outdoor dining (47)notable wine list (39)good for groups (38)great for brunch (37)hot spot (33)vibrant bar scene (31)late-night find (17)great for lunch (14)kid-friendly (9)scenic view (3)Show More
- Love this placeCarolynRDined on 11/23/2014No matter how many restaurants I go to, I always come back to Bastille. Bastille is my absolute sure thing. I'm always sure that when I recommend this place to a friend or go myself that it will be a great experience. Keep up the good work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cassoulet, Cassoulet, Cassoulet.BlueboarDined on 11/22/2014Handsomely appointed and deliciously French, Bastille is worth the jaunt to Ballard. I'm still dreaming about their cassoulet. C'est magnifique!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful! he waitstaff was wonderful friendlysherryDined on 11/22/2014the food was great and the wine was great. The stewardess was really fun Our waitress was really great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Ballard's FinestTripDined on 11/22/2014My wife and I had dinner with another couple. It took a while to get us seated, even with a reservation, but we were very early (5:30 pm). Otherwise, all good. A good, dependable, classy place. Plenty of tables, but I've noticed they do fill up later in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greeting was very slow, waited 15 minutes.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/22/2014Greeting was very slow, waited 15 minutes in a badly formed line. Rest of the experience was good, server, food and ambiance was great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Loud to TalkjkonDined on 11/21/2014Overall we had a dissatisfying experience. The restaurant was so loud I couldn't hear my boyfriend who was directly across from me at our small table. Not a great place to take someone you are remotely interested in having a conversation with. In addition, our server was extremely rude when he finally came to take our order. I heard him say something and when I asked him to repeat his response was, "Miss, why do you think I'm standing here?" Not a great way to make someone feel welcome. Beyond this, the food and wine was great as usual.Special Features:
- Steak FritesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014Steak frites cooked perfectly. Server was attentive and friendly. Special Chateauneuf du Pape wine flight was tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One word....CassouletHeatherSDined on 11/19/2014I live in Portland, but get up to Seattle every few months or so. I had won a gift certificate to Bastille and was anxious to see what they had going on. My husband and I could not have been more pleased. From the first interaction with the hostess on the phone to the moment we left, the customer service was delightful. Knowledgeable and lovely, the staff made our experience that much more... We started by sharing a salad and Onion Soup. Both beautifully done. The smoke on the hazelnuts in the salad was nice. My husband had the special of Chicken Oysters on a parsnip mash with braised cabbage, and I had one of my favorites...Cassoulet. I must tell you that I love Cassoulet, and it is mighty hard to find and on top of that trying to find a good one! This met my expectations completely. Duck Confit, Pork Belly and Sausage and lovingly melded with beans....so yummy and so decadent. Good Job Chef! What more can I say...GoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, distracted servernathansDined on 11/15/2014All food was great. The server seemed overworked and distracted. Everything took longer than it should have. Annoying but the food was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tough night in the kitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/15/2014Even though we had reservations, they seated us on the outside patio, which turned out to be quite chilly. It was in the low 30's that evening, and they might consider not using the outdoor seating - despite the wind screen and space heaters - in such temps. We ordered cocktails, and it took 4 attempts by the bartender to actually pour a glass of Pampero rum. The first three attempts came back clear, and since Pampero is a dark rum, it was pretty obvious I was getting something else. Our waiter maintained a great sense of humor through it all, so kudos to him. We enjoyed (finally) our cocktails and apps, and all was going well until we ordered dinner. We waited and waited; after about an hour our waiter went to the kitchen to check things out; then we waited some more. I finally went to the hostess and did some arm waiving, and we finally got some attention. It still took another 15 minutes, but ultimately they comped us the dinners, so at least they were fair and apologetic.Special Features:
- lovelymissmatttsDined on 11/12/2014absolutely delicious... get the steak frites. you wont be dissapointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off it's gameBallardEaterDined on 11/9/2014Bastille has stoped trying. Poor service, lackluster food. We won't be back
- Everything is Tres Bon!BRC2272VIPDined on 11/6/2014Warm, cozy ambience, eclectic menu, wonderful wine list and gracious, capable service! Love the entire dining experience!Special Features:
- Truly FrenchSeasunkoaDined on 11/1/2014We love French cuisine, and yet have found most "French" restaurants in Seattle not up to par with the little French bistros in Paris. Bastille, however, did a very good job, and we would go back. Not being very familiar with their wine list, they offered a 3-wine taster of cabs, all of which were acceptable, with 2 very good. Steak frites close to Parisian version, though fries were thicker than what we think of as true frites - must be catering to American tastes. Salad was good, but also huge - we'd split it next time. Wife loved the oysters. Did not like the toasted bread with pate as the typical French approach is to serve the morning's stale bread with pate in the eveninig. But overall very good restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun splurgeanonymousDined on 10/30/2014The ambiance, service, food, and drinks were all fantastic--would highly recommend! The prices were high and the portions were small, though, at least for the Restaurant Week menu from which we ordered.Special Features:
- 3 for $30jazzDined on 10/30/2014Left hungry, but spent a ton. Brusell sprout gratin entre, more like a side dish vs entre, and very few brussel sprouts. Beautiful place and bar and great service, but looking around at the other 4 entres, very over priced and just "nice food" expected more satisfaction in the food area, and I'm usually the one taking home doggie bags never can finish my entre, not here. We couldn't read the menu, they didn't supply good lighting.Special Features:
- I love BastilleCindyloohooDined on 10/30/2014Always surprises me with their special menu selections and never disappoints! Very much love their hidden back bar as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, not great.nsm33Dined on 10/29/2014Cafe only half full but extremely noisy. Bread will cost you $4. For the money it just did not impress me. Service was fast. Mussels were large, broth had nice wine flavor but I missed garlic or any other nuances.
- Great food and atmosphereactionDined on 10/28/2014I love the food and I love the ambience. The service was slow...be prepared to spend some quality time with your dinner mates...which for me worked out really well.Special Features:
- Pleased everyone in our partyFofinhaDined on 10/26/2014This was the first time for the 4 of us. Some highlights: steak tartare, the sommelier, wine flights, service experience. We had the Seattle Restaurant Week menu which had ample choices for our different palates. Finding parking was a bit challenging even on Sunday night but that's because the restaurant was full along with other local business. We will surely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance is worth the visitslenderfenderDined on 10/25/2014This was our first time eating at Bastille Café and Bar and we enjoyed the ambiance as much as the food. The cocktails were great and the food portions were larger than we expected for a French restaurant in this price range. I wish we could have stopped at Back Bar before dinner because it really is beautiful and feels intimate. Our server was a little scattered and forgot to put in something we ordered but overall we had a nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bastille DinnerExquisiteDined on 10/19/2014The menu was very creative yet true to French cooking. Waiter was knowledgeable about the dishes and wine pairings. The mussels in the broth were delicious, and we soak up all the juices with the wonderful Columbia City Bread. We enjoyed the atmosphere and the decorations. The picture window seating was particularly wonderful, allowing us to observe the neighborhood quietly.Special Features:
- Great brunch!MaplaoDined on 10/19/2014Awesome brunch with the ladies, the waiters were great and they seated us on the patio just as we requested.Special Features:
- NOISE LEVEL WAS TERRIBLEIvoryDined on 10/18/2014Unable to carry on a conversation on a Saturday night. Incredibly loud!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service & ambienceRSmutDined on 10/17/2014I've been the Bastille a couple times for dinner and brunch now and have enjoyed each of my meals there. I especially recommend sitting at a table in the outside covered patio area. The food is consistently good and the service has always been polite, attentive, yet personable. I recommend it for a casual night out or for something special.
- Perfect Friday NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014I was with a party of two others and we had made a reservation the day prior to dinner. We were greeted fairly promptly and were shown to our seats. Despite it being mid October in Seattle their heated patio was perfect. The wine was delicious and every dish we had was delicious, although the mussles were absolutely stellar and my favorite by far. Desert and coffe were in point and our server was both knowledgable and patient. It was a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best ballard brunchlavirdenDined on 10/5/2014Love this gem of a restaurant for brunch. Had a fabulous waiter and a great meal. Fun to watch the market goers on Sunday. Enjoy fresh food and promt service. A must in BallardSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not recommended for vegetariansOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/3/2014In general Bastille was fine, not great, but not bad either. Despite having a lot of menu items that could be vegetarian, almost everything was cooked in pork or another meat. The vegetarian dish I did have was bland and somewhat uninteresting as was the salad we had before the meal. That said, our cocktails were quite good. It was a busy Friday night, but they felt understaffed. It was also loud and dark (I'm 35 and not going deaf or blind). I had trouble hearing my date most of the evening (we were even in a corner). We asked about the darkness, and our waitress commented that she sees a lot of people trying to read the menu by cellphone light. With so many good places in Ballard to eat, I'd pass on Bastille in the future.
- Nice SettingheidiVIPDined on 10/3/2014This is restaurant offers a beautiful patio area that can be enjoyed year round. Their wine flight is wonderful. Remember to visit the back room bar.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014The food and the ambiance was very nice. Unfortunately, the outdoor area was noisy, not your flat, as that friday night it was some kind of music festival and the nois 9drumming) was very loudSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Merci Bastille!Grmz09Dined on 9/30/2014Excellent food, great service in a wonderful restaurant. We really enjoyed our evening we had the crispy pork belly, the tomato soup and the burger and every thing was magnifique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood keeper.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Limited but good and adventurous menu. Roof top garden so the salads are very very nice. Steak Frites quite good. It is always noisy because there are very few soft surfaces. We went early and that helped with the volume since it was not crowded.Special Features:
- Great food and ambiancelovetodineVIPDined on 9/21/2014We had a great experience. Our service and food was great. The ambiance out on the patio was very romantic and we loved it.Special Features:
- Great as AlwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/15/2014I have been to Bastille many times and I am always delighted to return. The wine flights are great for exploring different Pinot Noirs or other wines form the same grape and areas. The food is always mouthwatering. I take out of town guests here and recommend this place whenever they ask for advice.Special Features:
- Great food - will be going back!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014LOVED how each dish was prepared. My husband and I had 5 different dishes and loved each one - could not rate one over the other because they were that good. Service was good, but not stellar. All else was memorable.Special Features:
- Yumm glad I went!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Reserved a table for a group. I was even a little late for our reservation but the table was still ready for us when we arrived. Food was fantastic. I had the salmon omelet special and it was delicious. I wasn't a huge fan of the bloody marry mostly due to the large amount of horseradish.Special Features:
- DisappointingmcleanmanorVIPDined on 8/31/2014I love a French café, I love France. This was not a great representation of either. The interior was very nice, but the food was overly salty and nothing to brag about. Brunch eggs were burnt and what was supposed to be poached were hard boiled with overly salty ham. The bread was so hard to chew for $4 I thought I needed to go to the dentist. The tab was $58, so not worth it, should have eaten the street food at the farmers market which looked much better.
- LikeableloloDined on 8/30/2014The food was good with some misses. Flat iron steak was awesome but ricotta tasted ok not particularly memorable. Toulouse sausage was hard but the accompanying sauce with chantrelles and corn was outstanding. Wine was excellent as was the waiter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeall4foodDined on 8/29/2014We visit this restaurant about twice a month. The service is great. The servers are not always super friendly but they do a great job. Food is always timely and delicious. We visit other restaurants in the area but Bastille remains on the top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Storm the Bastille!RichardKelleyDined on 8/17/2014We have eaten at Bastille before, and it is always great. The only real failing is the very small number of entree choices, although the ones they have are excellent.Special Features: