Bastille Cafe & Bar
5307 Ballard Ave NW
Seattle, WA 98107Neighborhood:
Ballard / Fremont
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Bastille Cafe & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bastilleseattle.com/
- Phone: 2064535014
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Su-Th 5:30-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:30pm-11:00pm
Brunch: Su 10:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: French, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Jason Stoneburner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Holly Robinson 2068615199
A word from Bastille Cafe & Bar
Opened in June of 2009 and housed in an historic 1920’s building in Seattle’s Old Ballard neighborhood, Bastille Café & Bar is a bustling homage to a Parisian brasserie. Owners Deming Maclise and James Weimann scoured Paris flea markets and local salvage stores for vintage accessories to create a truly authentic feel. From the white subway tiles, antique mirrors, and Paris Metro clock to the zinc-topped bar and stunning crystal chandelier that takes center stage in the Back Bar; they’ve truly hit the mark. Chef Jason Stoneburner creates French focused cuisine inspired by the abundance of seasonal product found locally---and it doesn’t get any more local than the restaurants 4500-square-foot organic rooftop garden. The wine list is French focused with a smattering of NW wines and the bar offers an extensive collection of absinthe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bastille Cafe & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (77)neighborhood gem (68)great for outdoor dining (55)special occasion (46)romantic (44)great for brunch (40)good for groups (34)hot spot (30)vibrant bar scene (23)notable wine list (18)great for lunch (15)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great food - will be going back!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014LOVED how each dish was prepared. My husband and I had 5 different dishes and loved each one - could not rate one over the other because they were that good. Service was good, but not stellar. All else was memorable.Special Features:
- Yumm glad I went!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Reserved a table for a group. I was even a little late for our reservation but the table was still ready for us when we arrived. Food was fantastic. I had the salmon omelet special and it was delicious. I wasn't a huge fan of the bloody marry mostly due to the large amount of horseradish.Special Features:
- DisappointingmcleanmanorVIPDined on 8/31/2014I love a French café, I love France. This was not a great representation of either. The interior was very nice, but the food was overly salty and nothing to brag about. Brunch eggs were burnt and what was supposed to be poached were hard boiled with overly salty ham. The bread was so hard to chew for $4 I thought I needed to go to the dentist. The tab was $58, so not worth it, should have eaten the street food at the farmers market which looked much better.
- LikeableloloDined on 8/30/2014The food was good with some misses. Flat iron steak was awesome but ricotta tasted ok not particularly memorable. Toulouse sausage was hard but the accompanying sauce with chantrelles and corn was outstanding. Wine was excellent as was the waiter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeall4foodDined on 8/29/2014We visit this restaurant about twice a month. The service is great. The servers are not always super friendly but they do a great job. Food is always timely and delicious. We visit other restaurants in the area but Bastille remains on the top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Storm the Bastille!RichardKelleyDined on 8/17/2014We have eaten at Bastille before, and it is always great. The only real failing is the very small number of entree choices, although the ones they have are excellent.Special Features:
- Food was very goodKnittingninjaDined on 8/17/2014Friends met up to celebrate a birthday. Loved the food, servings were just right for us, not super huge so if you've got a real hunger guy, you may want to get an appetizer. Not a place if you want a quiet romantic dinner due to the noise level.Special Features:
- Good food bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014My wife and I came for dinner on my birthday. The food was very good but the overall experience was not worth $95 (the total after a weak tip). The entrees came out within 5 minutes of the appetizer, which is not terrible, but not the best timing for a nice meal. After we finished our entrees, we sat with empty plates and glasses on the table for at least 10 minutes. Finally, our waiter came back to bring a new bottle of water but did not remove the dishes. About 10 minutes later, he came to clear the dishes, but did not ask if we wanted more drinks or anything else. We sat at our table drinking water for at least 30 minutes after the meal until finally we could pay and leave. The waiter certainly earned his poor tip.
- Great experienceSusanDined on 8/16/2014We enjoyed food, wine-- service was great and knowledgeable! The only drawback is noise level-- pretty much had to lean in and speak in your loud voice!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was just okayaugmomDined on 8/9/2014We love Bastille especially in the summer time. However our last visit wasn't the best. The food choices had few veggie orientations. Not that we eat only veggies, yet the wonderful grilled cauliflower or the shaved cauliflower and mushrooms were not an option. It was more on the heavy side. The fresh garden salad was fabulous yet the clams were just okay. This was a special occasion that was dented by the food choice. We ordered champagne- the lowest and highest price flute for comparison. At $16 a glass (the high side) was flat. The server was very kind and brought us another flute. It was nothing superlative, as French champagnes can be. The $11 glass was much better. Hopefully better luck next time!Special Features:
- YumHappytodineDined on 8/7/2014Food was excellent and portions were very reasonably sized. We sat in the patio which was very pleasant.Special Features:
- RecommendFieldGoodDined on 8/6/2014Excellent food and great wine list and specials. I liked the tasting flight of rose wines. Our waiter was initially quite attentive, then seemed to disappear. Another waitperson picked up the slack though. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- I am a discriminating cook/diner...moandmoDined on 8/4/2014...and I highly recommend Bastille. The food [ingredients, preparation, and presentation] and service were of the highest order.Special Features:
- Great place for anniversary dinnerworkingclassheroDined on 8/4/2014Bastille is not only convenient after spending a long day exploring Ballard, but it is really a neighborhood gem. My husband and I were celebrating our one year anniversary, and while we are much more comfortable in a pub than a fancy restaurant, we felt totally comfortable in this really nicely decorated dining room in our jeans and tee-shirts. The decor is really beautiful, but the food is even more so. I had the fish of the day and I don't think I've ever seen such a beautiful plate of salmon. The skin was salty and crispy, and I would have called the experience good if that was all I got on my plate. I love that they have a rooftop garden and source their food from local farmers. The food is fresh, local and absolutely delicious.Special Features:
- Great date night!AprilVIPDined on 8/2/2014We took friends here for a double date night and had a great time! The service was outstanding and the food was delish. The pork belly and tartines are a must to start with. We also had the salmon, chicken and a pasta dish that were all very good. Unique flavors and really fresh. The wine was also a good choice.Special Features:
- Finally good foodBelleDined on 7/31/2014Sorry, but I find it hard to find realy good restaurants in Seattle, but this one made it to the best 10 so far. The salads were different and very yummy, even though they are a franch restaurant , they make excellent falafel and humus (and we come from Israel , were almost every place serves it) and the mussels were delicious ! Heartily recommendedSpecial Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2014Have had the steak frites here twice. Comparable to the ones in Paris. Never been disappointed.Special Features:
- cafe and farmer's marketfroggyDined on 7/27/2014We were thrilled to find such a gem for a carefree delicious brunch on a busy Sunday. The choices were diverse and fun to choose from. The wait staff was knowledgeable and friendly. We were happy with the fresh herbs and produce used in our dishes. We had a bonus with the Ballard farmers market going on right outside the door to enjoy after our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014We were a party of 5 with a reservation and our table was not big enough. Our overall service was spoty we sat for a while with a lot of dirty dishes on the table which was awkward because there was not enough room on the table. I loved our server she was great.Special Features:
- Very good, as usualHeynowDined on 7/26/2014Bastille has long been a standby of ours, consistently serving very good food with nice atmosphere. This visit was no exception.
- Everything is beautiful.NancyKickDined on 7/20/2014We ordered the mussels, the 1/2 chicken and the sausage and all were amazing with beautiful flavors. Plenty to eat as well. The service was spectacular as well.Special Features:
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/20/2014Brunch was good, though not remarkable. Nice to have a reservation because Ballard is so busy with the Sunday market.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EvelynOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014The food ans service was good. The pate made with chicken was really poor on flavor and too cold... We was glad to enjoy our meals with the company of the bees, keep those alive!Special Features:
- Not Top NotchFrenchieinSeattleDined on 7/16/2014My husband and I made a last minute reservation. When we arrived I asked if we could be seated outside. The hostess indicated that we could not. She seated us in the main dining area. I noticed several empty tables outside and assumed they were reserved for other parties. As the evening passed, several tables remained open. Meanwhile we were inside and it was actually quite warm inside. We sat for a long time before our waiter came to the table to take our drink order. Our waiter was pleasant and relatively attentive. We both ordered the steak frites and both steaks were cooked to order; the frites however were extremely salty. The side order of baguette was very tough; not what I expected for the additional charge. Overall disappointing.Special Features:
- Fun venue with good food & servicepansyollieVIPDined on 7/15/2014Enjoyed another meal at Bastille. Our waiter was knowledgable and enthusiastic. In a non-annoying way. Mussels and frites were fantastic. Amazing carrot broth. I eat a lot of mussels and this was one of the best preparations I've ever had. Good wine. Nice people. Great fun spot. Parking is a bit of a challenge but worth it.Special Features:
- Bastille on Bastille Day!SpikeDined on 7/14/2014Captures the feel of a Parisian bistro .....in Ballard. Similar fare to Luc's, but trades Luc's intimacy for a louder, energetic, locale. Depending on your mood, one or the other fits the bill for simple, but excellent, French food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliableOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/13/2014Consistently good food, good service, good atmosphere, at a reasonable price.Special Features:
- Great FindAutumnnDined on 7/11/2014This restaurant was a pleasant find. Coming from Austin, it proved to be a foodie hot spot to see. The scenery, as well as the inside, was completely breathtaking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThanksDined on 7/10/2014We enjoyed our evening with our close friends & our waiter Paul was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- couple of food notesStephanieDined on 7/6/2014the croque madame wasn't as great as previous visits. i've dined here many times, and will continue to, and LOVE Bastille, but this was kind of a bummer - not served in the cast dish anymore, was a bit dry and had to ask for sauce mornay on the side to add to it. there also weren't any beans in the 'eggs en cocote' not sure if that was an oversight or a menu change but it was preferable the previous way. service was good, drinks were good, just a couple notes on the food. ;)Special Features:
- I Love BastilleMooseCatelDined on 7/6/2014I always try to bring out of town visitors to Bastille because I think it is a great representation of Seattle's love of good food, local sourcing, in house made specialties, and fantastic cocktails. The brunch menu is delicious and all the food is beautiful. Did I mention the yummy cocktails? Bastille also poaches eggs just right!Special Features:
- Great food in a great settingTommyDined on 7/5/2014When the meal started, I was slightly disappointed that the baguette we ordered showed up room temperature, but I didn't need to worry. I didn't have another complaint the rest of the night. The mussels were fantastic! And the profiteroles to die for. Bastille came highly recommended to me from a friend and I will surely recommend it highly to othersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Friends, Great DinnerSeattleVanGuyDined on 7/3/2014My friend, who was my Best Man, is getting married soon. We decided to go dinner with his Best Man. The groom chose Bastille. As it turned out, my friend's Best Man was a no-show. So, the two of us had a fantastic dinner. We started with the house-smoked salmon appetizer, on to the house salad with lardon. We both chose the Steak Frites accompanied by a fine Corbières. Dinner was followed by a couple of rounds of a nice Armagnac. Overall, a great dinner, with a great friend. We are looking forward to returning. Next time with the Best Man.Special Features:
- Outstanding restaurantFoodie33Dined on 6/22/2014My partner and I are avid foodies. We try to go out somewhere new at least once a week and try out all types of cuisine. Bastille is one of those go to restaurants where we know we are going to be happy! Everything is outstanding from the wine, cocktails, apps, entrees, and dessert to the service and ambience. I highly recommend it for your next date night.Special Features:
- Fabulous brunch!GoodEaterKimDined on 6/22/2014We had a fabulous brunch on a sunny Sunday with the farmer's market buzzing on the street outside the restaurant. Our server was terrific and took very good care of us. There were four of us and we each had a different dish and each of us loved what we ordered. We were never rushed even though there were people waiting to sit out on the patio where we were seated. It was a wonderful experience all the way around. I also highly recommend Bastille for happy hour as I believe they have one of the best burgers in the city and there food and drink prices are a deal.Special Features:
- A perfect Sunday morning.susieqDined on 6/22/2014Like a mini-vacation in Paris. Great ambiance and spectacular food. I wish we could eat here every day. We drive from south of Seattle all the way across town to the north side to have Sunday brunch here. It has the added attraction of being next to the Ballard Farmer's Market, which is open all year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlohaChoDined on 6/21/2014We have been eating at Bastille since it opened. It is our favorite restaurant. We brought our friends here and it is now their favorite place too. We have never had a bad meal or bad service here. I don't think I can say that about any other restaurant. Whenever my husband and I are celebrating a special occasion Bastille is our go to place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerfairbadDined on 6/20/2014My wife and I appreciated the first class dining experience at Bastille and look forward to going again soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheMOBOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/18/2014I really enjoy the ambiance, the service is great and the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Bistro w/ an American twistchemixenDined on 6/12/2014Large portions of excellently prepared food. Come hungry. Not traditional French cuisine but very close.Special Features: