3503 E. Colfax Ave
Denver, CO 80206Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bastiens.com/
- Phone: 3033220363x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:30PM - 9:30PM
Friday & Saturday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM
Sunday 4:00PM - 9:00PM
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Ryan Bastien
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
A word from Bastien's Restaurant
HOME OF THE SUGAR STEAK Family owned for 75 years we are in the fourth generation. we have won many awards like the best kept secret for 5280 magazine, best steak house by westword. We also boast that we made it to the national historic landmark for the googie syle architect. If you are in the mood for Sinatra, steak and retro cocktails, this is the place for you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bastien's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (25)special occasion (21)romantic (15)fit for foodies (14)good for groups (4)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (2)notable wine list (2)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- New favorite steak place!CarniVeronicaDined on 8/23/2014I chose Bastien's for my birthday dinner on a recommendation from a friend who told me to "get over Fogo de Chao" and similar overpriced steak buffets. He was right! The atmosphere was excellent, quiet, intimate, and not swarming with screaming kids. The steak was beyond wonderful, served to order with house-made sides. The service was friendly, quiet, and unobtrusive, allowing us to have exactly what I wanted: a quiet, perfect dinner. I highly recommend Bastien's to anyone wanting a quiet, friendly dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best SteakiluvfoodDined on 7/30/2014This will be our go to steak restaurant from here on. The 10 oz Sugar steak was cooked to perfection. The Steak David was excellent as well. The sauce was really really good. We will be back.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/18/2014I haven't been to Bastien's in a few years so I was excited to go back. The Filet was one of the best I have ever had. Very tender and great spice!!! The service was great. The only thing I would say is I wish they would have keep the more retro look.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Blast from the PastJoeConciergeDined on 7/2/2014Bastien's is a true Denver institution. With both an exterior and interior which can be used by the producers of Mad Men, the scenery itself is an attraction. Yet the food is very pleasing. While the steaks will not compete with The Palm, Shanahan's, Del Frisco or Elway's, the environment and pricing will be most agreeable. Portions are large, all cooked to order. Desserts are decadent and the bar menu, an era before flavor infused vodka's offering traditional Manhattan's and Rob Roy's. If you are in search of an overall fun experience, put on those clothes from the Camelot era and make a reservation, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- This place is a gem!CraigEVIPDined on 6/17/2014Highly recommend, where else can you find a "grilled" caesar salad for one, among the great selections of steaks and appetizers?!? I don't even know how they do it. I've never been disappointed, this place is delicious! You have to try the sugar steak and go from there, I've even had the trout, very tasty! I always leave full and satisfied!Special Features:
- disapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/15/2014we went for fathers day dinner. Our server was not to pleasant at first but warmed up as the dinner progressed. however the dinner was another thing. the bread was cold, our appetizers were very good. then we waited for our dinner. when the dinners arrived my steak was medium not rare. The second time my steak was barely seared and raw in the middle. They finally got it right on the third try. The dessert was the salted caramel and cake. The cake was like any frozen cake that you get at the supermarket and tasted like it We usually have a great meal here I hope it returns next time we eat here
- Good place for a treatMsdivideDined on 6/10/2014We frequent Bastien's 3 or 4 times a year for a quiet dining treat. The sugar steak is superb so we can't seem to try anything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedDiningDiva1Dined on 6/8/2014Darn, I really wanted to like this place. The food was simply okay. My husband had their signature sugar steak which he said was grisly. My shrimp salad was mediocre at best.
- Outstanding experience!kathiDined on 6/7/2014Bastien's is always outstanding. I recommend for any occassion. Service and food are impeccable!! Well done, as always!Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphereDenvereaterDined on 6/7/2014A friend and I checked out Bastien's because we live a few blocks away and absolutely loved everything about the experience. The food, we got their signature sugar steaks, was excellent. The meat itself was some of the most tender, I've ever received at a restaurant. The atmosphere was a great 1950s chic. It was like dining with the Rat Pack.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteaksMdevoDined on 6/7/2014Our second time there and the steaks were great both times. Service is friendly and attentive without being in your face. Full bar and Rat Pack music - what more do you need.Special Features:
- fun atmosphere, good foodkloopDined on 6/5/2014I had the sugar steak which was very good but not great. Good bar, funky decor. Would be great with a good sized group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit DATED, but still CLASSIC.SloHighDined on 6/3/2014It's tough to complain about the food. Perfectly cooked apps, seafood and the steaks were really a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as UsualCOFoodieDined on 5/30/2014Always enjoy visiting Bastiens and the food was exceptional as usual. It was a very busy night and every seat was filled. The Filet Mignon was outstanding!Special Features:
- Ok, would try againSWColorado14Dined on 5/28/2014I chose Bastien's based on reviews and thought I would give it a shot for my husband's birthday as he loves steak. We arrive and are greeted by a harried waitress who doesn't even ask for our reservation. She delivered our drinks and we said we needed another minute to decide. 20 minutes later she returns for our order! The food was ok, I had the Fusion steak; good flavor but a little too much fat on the meat. My husband had the beef stroganoff; he said it was really good but had at least a whole onion sliced in it-a bit too much! The atmosphere was quaint, quiet. Seems to me that Bastien's rests on its laurels and doesn't try thier best every night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- queenbeeVIPDined on 5/22/2014Great for steaks, terrific desserts and music by Frank Sinatra. We love it. A bit pricey now that the cost of beef has gone up so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bastien'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/15/2014My friend and I really enjoyed the experience. The food was delicious (we both thought the horseradish mashed potatoes were interest and delicious, and the vegetables on the side were cooked perfectly. Both of our drinks were well mixed. When we came in, we were warned about a particular loud group and given the option to sit elsewhere. We appreciated that the option was given. If it weren't for that one rowdy group, the whole experience would have been very upscale. However, that reflected on the group of people, not Bastien's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with Frank "Blue Eyes"RDCATDined on 5/5/2014Always think of Bastiens when I am craving steak..Generous portions and oh so good. Ambience is romantic and mood setting and certainly nostalgic. Love to bring new people to Bastiens...old timers from Denver and out of towners. The old-time Denverites thank me for re-introducing Bastiens to them. And thank you, Bastien's, for a wonderful dinner experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 112 reviews are from the Bastien's Restaurant reviews archive.
- Throw back!HappyCustomerVIPDined on 5/2/2014This was a great find. I would have never gone in except we had a GroupOn- Once in, we loved it. The FOOD was really great, mixed drinks great- short wine list, but mostly, the food will bring us back. Service was fairly good and tight tables. This is a family-owned throw-back restaurant, so if you know that going in, you'll love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Dining - Reasonably PricedPeggiDined on 4/27/2014The decor is outdated, there's a Rat Pack (Sinatra, Martin, Davis, Jr.) ambiance to the restaurant, the staff are knowledgeable regarding the food / wine and friendly, but best of all is the food. Some entrees are the usual, while others combine flavors and textures I haven't seen / tasted before and loved. Bastien's is one of my favorite go-to places, and I highly recommend it for the discriminating palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a Classic!BoneDaddyDined on 4/25/2014I can't tell you how many times I've mentioned going to Bastien's to people who've lived in Denver -- sometimes right in the Colorado/Colfax neighborhood -- for years, and they say they've always been curious about the place but never gone in. I don't know if that's a blessing or a curse, because it's never overcrowded or too noisy in there and the food is ALWAYS excellent, period-perfect Cold War-era steakhouse fare. Fine -- their loss, as long as this place keeps going.Special Features:
- Extremely SatisfiedDzLeoDined on 4/24/2014The food was excellent! It was a very busy night for the restaurant because of the Project Angel Heart event. So the service was a little slow, but that food was worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food here is consistentlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/6/2014Food here is consistently great and I have had excellent service on previous visits however this time it was fair. I did not appreciate the server arguing with me about how I wanted my steak cooked. The menu states that steaks cooked beyond medium cannot be guaranteed together same tenderness. That said, I understood exactly what I was risking when placing my order.I typically order medium well which gives me the exact amount of pink that I enjoy. I thought it rude that she felt the need to question my choice then inform me that she was going to put the order in as medium medium. Had I been alone I would not have stayed but my friend was looking forward to his first meal there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining Experience!!luv2dineVIPDined on 4/5/2014My favorite is the Sugar Steak! Shasta, our server, was great. Food was very delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Really Nice Surpise!asil525Dined on 3/29/2014Finally went to Bastien's, with a Groupon, on a Saturday evening. I've been around that place many times wondering if it was ever open, the outside looks so dumpy! But you open the front door, and WOW! Frank Sinatra on the walls, Rat Pack singing, the place is super awesome inside! And there are multiple levels to the place. ordered the famed sugar-steak, and it was cooked to perfection. What a delicious caramelized sear! My date ordered the Cajun steak, which he could not stop talking about, especially the shrimp sauce that covered it. We were too full for dessert, but will definitely be back! Oh, and the drinks were pretty good too. I enjoyed a couple of delicious sidecars...very happy with our visit to Bastien's.Special Features:
- Food was good. Service waswarrenilesDined on 3/28/2014Food was good. Service was good. Seemed a bit over-priced. Probably wouldn't make a point to go again, but I'm glad we went once. It's a place with a lot of history and we appreciate that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreEricVIPDined on 3/22/2014I had high expectations for the food and low expectations for the service going in. However, having to wait for 15 mins at the hostess desk to be seated when I had a reservation was a terrible first impression. The steak was cooked well, but really just ok. The flower garnishes were very amateur and silly on the plate. Also, the canned olives stuffed with blue cheese were a poor choice to put in the drinks. I get that this place is on Colfax, but the experience across the entire board is really mediocre for the price.
- A blast from the past!BabushkaVIPDined on 3/21/2014This is definitely an oldy but goody. Used to be THE place to take your date, especially for prom. Break out the 57 chevy and head over for a fun reminder of the "good old days" of the 50's and 60's.Special Features:
- Team DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/18/2014We had a group on 5 and all in the party raved about the food and service. The Banana Coconut Cream Pie was a wonderful finishing touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Steak for EveryonemsfunnybonesVIPDined on 3/14/2014The choices at Bastien's seem endless when it comes to, "How do you like your steak?" Culinary choices abound. I usually stay with their famous Sugar Steak, which is just amazing on it's own, but they have so many choices and preparations. I could find something different to eat every day of the week and not get tired of it! They have been around a very long time, and the decor proves it. It's housed in a rotunda, or round building that is dated and the decor is dated as well. The bathrooms definitely need updated. The food and service is so good, that I believe the decor should match it more. It's tired and old. The food is worth the trip, though. We drove from Highlands Ranch to East Colfax for their great food. The prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for special mealMsdivideDined on 2/19/2014Celebrating a birthday, anniversary, holiday is a pleasant experience at Bastien's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing in an unpredictable areaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/16/2014The food and service was perfect. The staff made food and beverage recommendations that were a complementary match.Special Features:
- We always love itMangeonsDined on 2/14/2014It's not DelFrisco's but it's close enough for us and a whole lot more economical. And fair to say, a piece of E. Colfax history. Even on Valentine's Day they were accommodating, friendly, and efficient. We've never regretted a trip to Bastien's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great night at Bastiens!COFoodieDined on 2/12/2014I love this place. The food is always top notch and the service comes with a smile.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceToothdocDined on 2/1/2014Scared us when we got out of the car, outside wasn't the best looking. Opened the door and the pleasant experience began. Great food, great service, great prices for what we got.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent steak dinners77yumDined on 1/30/2014We three ordered steak and fish entrees. The appetizer of mushrooms was tasty. The Black and Tan steak was mouthwatering and my son liked his sugar steak as well. My companion stated that his trout also was delicios.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not impressedluluDined on 1/17/2014bastiens was recommended to me by a friend that had not actually been there herself. I took my dad thinking it was a good.pi k.for an older.man to eat a steak. The steak was mediocre, the baked potato was undercooked and the service unattentive and slow. I will not.go.back.
- Fun birthday placeNhernandezDined on 1/14/2014We picked this place for a birthday dinner. Steaks were great and incredibly affordable. It's got a very old-school feel and the birthday guy really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old favoritesmittyDined on 1/11/2014We have gone here for many years. It is always reliable and good with a good menu and friendly, attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2013Although this restaurant has been a Landmark here in Denver for many years, it's one that you would normally just drive by as you were driving on Colfax Ave. Luckily my wife and I decided one evening to try it and we were hooked!!! The best steak on the menu is the Sugar Steak, amazing. Since our first visit, we have been back 5 more times and this was roughly a year ago. As you walk in you feel as though the Rat Pack will be right around the corner sitting in one of the booths slamming down martinis. Really cool environment. A++++++++++ in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.