Bastas Trattoria and Bar
410 NW 21st
Portland, OR 97209Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Bastas Trattoria and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bastastrattoria.com/
- Phone: (503) 274-1572
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Thursday & Sunday 5:00PM - 10:30PM;
Friday & Saturday: 5:00PM-11:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Marco Frattaroli
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: BASTA has a versatile kitchen which can accommodate most palates. We can create a catering menu to fit your event or you can choose from our selection of handmade pastas and other regional Italian fare, from a whole roasted pig or lamb to small out of the ordinary passed Hors d'oeuvres Menus for catering start at $ 35 dollars a person We can also arrange wine tastings matched with our food or help you with your selection.
A word from Bastas Trattoria and Bar
Bastas opened its doors in 1992 and has always taken advantage of our Northwest bounty . We use local organic produce, meats, forest ingredients as well as fish. All of our fresh pastas as well as sausages, pancetta, breads, desserts and infusions are made in house. We believe in supporting our local artisans, and even though our chairs are original (recycled) post modern, they were refurbished locally and the couches and tables were made only a few blocks away. The wood on the walls and tables was salvaged from local barn lumber, and even the point of sale system was designed and is maintained locally.Continued
We are at fault in only one way... our award winning wine list is Italian, like the owner.
We are at fault in only one way... our award winning wine list is Italian, like the owner.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bastas Trattoria and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)fit for foodies (17)good for groups (13)romantic (8)vibrant bar scene (7)notable wine list (6)special occasion (6)great for outdoor dining (6)scenic view (2)hot spot (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great happy food and beverages.DT58VIPDined on 11/22/2014We went for a quick bite after work and before running to the Moda for concert. Enjoyed the selection and we're not disappointed with the quality of food and service. The regular menu also looked very enticing - we will be back for a proper evening meal. There's a reason they have lasted as long as they have. It was quite delightful to revisit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In Italian ' Molto Dignitoso ' Very NicePDXDiner5666Dined on 11/15/2014Reservations a must on a Saturday night and it is worth the effort. The service is friendly and contributed to the Dining experience. The ambience is a ' Portland women meets Italian man and makes him Diner ' Vibe. I enjoyed it a lot. The food is all that I could've hoped for. Everything from the appetizers, the cocktails, to the deserts were all excellent. The price is right and worth every cent. Recommendation is a ' Yes '..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food, wine and service were excellent! HighlyRosieDined on 11/15/2014The delicious fennel and avocado salad reminded me of my Italian grandmother's fennel salad, superboa! The hanger steak was seasoned and prepared to perfection. I do not think I could find more authentic Italian cooking as Bastas. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014We eat out about 1-2 times a week. Typically Friday night is date night. We usually spend about $100.00 a meal On date night. We spent this amount last Friday and when I compare it to the other restaurants that we go too Bastas doesn't even come close. It felt like fast food with a big price tag. I would recommend spending the same amount at serrato, across the street, or iorio and see the difference.
- Italian Comfort FoodRichardDined on 11/8/2014I was looking for a place to have Italian comfort food. We had a very enjoyable dinner. Food was excellent, very friendly staff, not what I was expecting. This was a great find and I will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- selectivelolaDined on 11/8/2014Lots of good choices for salads, appetizers and dessert in case you don't want a larger entree. Can't go wrong.Special Features:
- Great food and vibeAlexlovestoeatDined on 10/31/2014They have been around since the 90's, food is consistent and good and well priced. A neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Promo ciboOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014We are never disappointed and enjoy impressing family and friends by taking them to Bastas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingBeanoDined on 10/10/2014It could just be what we ordered, but all three of us were disappointed in our meals. Two of us had the Rissoto Neptune which was too fishy and the squid was pretty rubbery. My husband had the special ravioli which he found to be way too salty-and this is saying something since he loves his salt. On the positive side. The Caesar salads were good.Special Features:
- Great Food and Atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014The food never disappoints! Wine list good with many choices..love being there!Special Features:
- Tasty BastasHungrygirl2Dined on 10/4/2014Looking for italian and wanting to try something besides our standard nw 21st favorite....Bastas did not disappoint. Apricot and Bourbon cocktails were imaginative. Rice fritters were hot and cheesy. Chanterelle pasta was too die for....perfect flavors and al dente. The ravioli was delicate and wonderful too. Perhaps we were under the influence of our favorite movie, Amelie, playing in the dining room, but it was a delicious meal.Special Features:
- Great dining experiencenanceDined on 9/19/2014Loved the menu at Bastas. I had the steelhead trout special and husband had caesar salad and lasagna. Both very tasty at a good price. Good choice of cocktails and wine. I do wish they supplied some bread however. I don't think that's asking too much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mamabear47Dined on 9/14/2014The $6.00 happy hour menu was great. Portions amazingly large for the price. Added a half salad for a perfectly adequate meal.mamabear47Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed atmosphere, good/wine listOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014The restaurant is a nice place to take a few friends, very good menu and small but well-elected wine list. The service is very good.Special Features:
- Great food, very reasonably pricedrush2112Dined on 8/16/2014Had a great dinner. Our server was good, funny. New menu with great prices for 'fine' Italian dining. This place can't be beat..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise findPalmSpringsLocalDined on 8/9/2014I'm always surprised when I can walk into a really good restaurant in Portland and not wait for a table. Appetizers and entrees were very good, offered a unique take, and well-portioned. However, I'd skip the deserts; the two we tried were pretty generic. The space is unique and I'd recommend a table in the front window for people watching. Our server didn't seem too excited to be working but was pleasant and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great happy hour & awesome service!MishyDined on 8/6/2014We decided to eat here before the MLS All-Star game and enjoyed ordering from the happy hour food and beverage menu. We were surprised by the great prices for the size of the portions ... What a deal! We also had a very personable server who took care of us ... She was extremely nice to our son and had a fun sense of humor, yet knew we were on our way to a big game so understood our timing needs. Overall experience was excellent. We'll be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvgoodfoodDined on 8/2/2014I can count on bringing friends here to have a delicious, authentically Italian meal every time.Special Features:
- Carry2Dined on 8/1/2014It has been ten years since I have returned to the Portland area. Bastas was a great restaurant then and did not disappoint me upon my return. I would recommend this restaurant to any one.Special Features:
- foodymusicguyDined on 8/1/2014we had a very nice dinner, with thoughtful, effecient staff. Consistant over the years. I don't, however understand why the lovely payio was closed on a beaytiful summer evening. Pasta dishes strong pointSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 52 reviews are from the Bastas Trattoria and Bar reviews archive.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/27/2014I tried this restaurant with my wife and it was much better than we expected. We had the vegetarian pizza and beluga lentils with squid and both were fantastic. This restaurant is definitely worth trying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/20/2014When Basta's is is on, it is one of the best restaurants in Portland. I had a perfectly prepared razor clam to start. The braised rabbit melted in my mouth. My server, Shannon, paired the perfect glass of wine with the rabbit. Shannon should not be missed. She is one of the best servers in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealGregVIPDined on 6/16/2014We had a wonderful meal from appetizers to entrees every dish was wonderful. Service was friendly and efficient. Highly recommend htis restaurant.Special Features:
- great date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014I Googled a general search for good Portland restaurants and this came up on a recent list. I found a bar close by that my fiancée and I could get a drink at before having dinner, then put in my reservation at Bastas. The menu seems to be pretty diverse, affordable (pork tenderloin with a heaping amount of sautéed kale for $16) and turned out to be quite delicious. The waitress was plenty friendly, although admittedly spread a little thin. If you're looking for overly attentive, that wasn't my experience, but again, she was plenty friendly and made a point to bring us extra bread. I definitely look forward to going back.Special Features:
- Great Italian Food....DianaDined on 6/6/2014Our party of four had a great meal. The food was great, but portion sizes are very small. Salads, veggies & appetizers are priced separately and it is necessary to order plenty of everything to leave satisfied. Otherwise, the food was perfectly prepared, the service was excellent. There was little wait time and I LOVE that they show old B & W movies against an upper wall in the evening when it's dark enough to see them. Lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Nice LocationLoisDined on 5/28/2014We were traveling to Washington from Northern California, so stopped in Portland for the night. Instead of trying one of the restaurants in the city center area, I decided to venture up into one of the neighborhoods, and selected Bastas for our dinner. I am so glad I made this decision, as it is a very low-key place, but served great food and provided good service. The selections weren't so diverse that you get lost in the menu, but they had a nice selection to choose from, and everything was delicious. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- GregVIPDined on 5/27/2014Great food in a relaxed friendly environment. Fresh ingredients well prepared.Special Features:
- Delicious and Timelylove2eatoutDined on 5/10/2014We were headed to a Blazer game and wanted a good, but quick meal before the game and Bastas fit the bill! We enjoyed a glass of wine, appetizer, and entree all within 30 minutes. It worked out perfectly for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb in almost every wayHappy2BPDXDined on 5/2/2014The little dishes (happy hour all day every day) are superb--we tried five of them: grilled calamari, polenta lasagna, a couple of inventive salads, and the best fried onion rings in Portland, bar none. We had a three-year-old with us, and they accommodated her graciously, and the person who had a cocktail said it was excellent. The only shortfall is in ambience: nice light through the windows, but the building is uninspiring and the decor is unmemorable except for the aquarium, which was a hit with the three-year old.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice little spot with good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014The restaurant was nice, the food was good and the prices were a little on the higher end. The server was awkward, but did her best to make friendly conversation. Overall, we enjoyed the meal (pizza, salad, lasagna) and had plenty to take home for two people.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/14/2014Great food, drinks, service. Fun time. Would definitely reccommend .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some of the best Italian foodDavePVIPDined on 4/5/2014Everyday is Happy Hour, the deals and food are outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No flavor - boring menu and goodSlayneDined on 4/5/2014I won't be going back. Really plain food with hardly any taste.
- This was my first visit andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2014This was my first visit and I will definitely go back. The menu provided several vegetarian options and the house wine price was at happy hour prices until 6:30. The waiter ( Jay) was energetic, helpful with the menu and attentive. I am very happy a friend recommended this spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for childrenGr8GatsbyDined on 3/17/2014The food was good, and our server was outstanding. This biggest issue was that the restaurant didn't have a high chair for children. I'm not sure how a restaurant could even be operating without a high chair.Special Features:
- First TimerJRTimeDined on 3/1/2014Finally made it to Bastas for dinner with friends. We were seated promptly at our reservation time, and our server was quite pleasant. We opted for a mix of small plates and dinner plates. Everyone enjoyed their meals, especially the wild boar dinner plate and the brussel sprouts were perfectly prepared. The wine list was excellent, and the had 5-6 local beers to choose from also. By the end of the meal we were too full for dessert, but many of them listed on the menu sounded excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unsung Northwest gem!GigiDined on 2/24/2014Basta’s: a foodie bargain! All-night Happy Hour; a $9 ample plate of delicious port-sauced pork-tenderloin or one of the best hamburgers in town, both with amazing Tuscan potatoes. Two can share a huge Caesar salad WITH anchovies. Try calamari uniquely paired with lentils, a grand variety of Italian dishes, and daily specials...spaghetti with bottarga last night. The bartender can make a proper Negroni. Hazelnut gelato and tiramisu are authentic, luscious, and a perfect end to your meal. (The only drawback: a distracting screen, but at least there's no sound, only subtitles.) Servers are attentive, friendly, and fun...we especially love the delightful Shelby! Don't be fooled by the IHOP-style architecture; inside is a very special spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Return to GreatnessTheFourJaysDined on 2/15/2014Back in the mid-80's my mother and I used to dine at the same location when it was a Chinese restaurant. I even remember when it was a Tastee-Freeze way before too! Then it became a Malaysian restaurant before Bastas. I only ate at Bastas once back in 1996 or 1997, can't remember, so long ago. Our visit on 2/15/14 was FANTASTIC. From the moment we walked in to the moment we said good bye. The service is spectacular! The food, even better. We ordered the escargo for an appetizer, not bad. Dinner consisted of Gnocchi e Maiale (gnocchi with pork), seafood medley baked with spaghetti with a crust in a clay pot (baked, think: pie), and roasted asparagus. All delicious and presented/created with care. So good....thank you and we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below averageoscarDined on 2/14/2014Went in for a Valentine's dinner, first time there. The restaurant had pretty good reviews online, but it was a disappointment. We asked for a steak well , done, came in medium rare, had them recook it with the same result. The other dish, pasta, was average, sauce tasted like from a jar. Service was courteous, though.
- Valentine's Day HitngakaldenDined on 2/14/2014Reserved a table here for Valentines Day, glad I did. Quite and romantic place with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.