Bastas Trattoria and Bar
410 NW 21st
Portland, OR 97209Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Bastas Trattoria and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bastastrattoria.com/
- Phone: 5032741572x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Thursday & Sunday 5:00PM - 10:30PM;
Friday & Saturday: 5:00PM-11:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Marco Frattaroli
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: BASTA has a versatile kitchen which can accommodate most palates. We can create a catering menu to fit your event or you can choose from our selection of handmade pastas and other regional Italian fare, from a whole roasted pig or lamb to small out of the ordinary passed Hors d'oeuvres Menus for catering start at $ 35 dollars a person We can also arrange wine tastings matched with our food or help you with your selection.
A word from Bastas Trattoria and Bar
Bastas opened its doors in 1992 and has always taken advantage of our Northwest bounty . We use local organic produce, meats, forest ingredients as well as fish. All of our fresh pastas as well as sausages, pancetta, breads, desserts and infusions are made in house. We believe in supporting our local artisans, and even though our chairs are original (recycled) post modern, they were refurbished locally and the couches and tables were made only a few blocks away. The wood on the walls and tables was salvaged from local barn lumber, and even the point of sale system was designed and is maintained locally.Continued
We are at fault in only one way... our award winning wine list is Italian, like the owner.
We are at fault in only one way... our award winning wine list is Italian, like the owner.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Bastas Trattoria and Bar - Best Restaurants in Pearl District ›
Bastas Trattoria and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (23)fit for foodies (13)good for groups (11)notable wine list (9)special occasion (7)romantic (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for outdoor dining (4)hot spot (4)great for lunch (2)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- mamabear47Dined on 9/14/2014The $6.00 happy hour menu was great. Portions amazingly large for the price. Added a half salad for a perfectly adequate meal.mamabear47Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed atmosphere, good/wine listOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014The restaurant is a nice place to take a few friends, very good menu and small but well-elected wine list. The service is very good.Special Features:
- Great food, very reasonably pricedrush2112Dined on 8/16/2014Had a great dinner. Our server was good, funny. New menu with great prices for 'fine' Italian dining. This place can't be beat..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise findPalmSpringsLocalDined on 8/9/2014I'm always surprised when I can walk into a really good restaurant in Portland and not wait for a table. Appetizers and entrees were very good, offered a unique take, and well-portioned. However, I'd skip the deserts; the two we tried were pretty generic. The space is unique and I'd recommend a table in the front window for people watching. Our server didn't seem too excited to be working but was pleasant and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great happy hour & awesome service!MishyDined on 8/6/2014We decided to eat here before the MLS All-Star game and enjoyed ordering from the happy hour food and beverage menu. We were surprised by the great prices for the size of the portions ... What a deal! We also had a very personable server who took care of us ... She was extremely nice to our son and had a fun sense of humor, yet knew we were on our way to a big game so understood our timing needs. Overall experience was excellent. We'll be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvgoodfoodDined on 8/2/2014I can count on bringing friends here to have a delicious, authentically Italian meal every time.Special Features:
- Carry2Dined on 8/1/2014It has been ten years since I have returned to the Portland area. Bastas was a great restaurant then and did not disappoint me upon my return. I would recommend this restaurant to any one.Special Features:
- foodymusicguyDined on 8/1/2014we had a very nice dinner, with thoughtful, effecient staff. Consistant over the years. I don't, however understand why the lovely payio was closed on a beaytiful summer evening. Pasta dishes strong pointSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/27/2014I tried this restaurant with my wife and it was much better than we expected. We had the vegetarian pizza and beluga lentils with squid and both were fantastic. This restaurant is definitely worth trying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/20/2014When Basta's is is on, it is one of the best restaurants in Portland. I had a perfectly prepared razor clam to start. The braised rabbit melted in my mouth. My server, Shannon, paired the perfect glass of wine with the rabbit. Shannon should not be missed. She is one of the best servers in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealGregVIPDined on 6/16/2014We had a wonderful meal from appetizers to entrees every dish was wonderful. Service was friendly and efficient. Highly recommend htis restaurant.Special Features:
- great date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014I Googled a general search for good Portland restaurants and this came up on a recent list. I found a bar close by that my fiancée and I could get a drink at before having dinner, then put in my reservation at Bastas. The menu seems to be pretty diverse, affordable (pork tenderloin with a heaping amount of sautéed kale for $16) and turned out to be quite delicious. The waitress was plenty friendly, although admittedly spread a little thin. If you're looking for overly attentive, that wasn't my experience, but again, she was plenty friendly and made a point to bring us extra bread. I definitely look forward to going back.Special Features:
- Great Italian Food....DianaDined on 6/6/2014Our party of four had a great meal. The food was great, but portion sizes are very small. Salads, veggies & appetizers are priced separately and it is necessary to order plenty of everything to leave satisfied. Otherwise, the food was perfectly prepared, the service was excellent. There was little wait time and I LOVE that they show old B & W movies against an upper wall in the evening when it's dark enough to see them. Lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Nice LocationLoisDined on 5/28/2014We were traveling to Washington from Northern California, so stopped in Portland for the night. Instead of trying one of the restaurants in the city center area, I decided to venture up into one of the neighborhoods, and selected Bastas for our dinner. I am so glad I made this decision, as it is a very low-key place, but served great food and provided good service. The selections weren't so diverse that you get lost in the menu, but they had a nice selection to choose from, and everything was delicious. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- GregVIPDined on 5/27/2014Great food in a relaxed friendly environment. Fresh ingredients well prepared.Special Features:
- The following 45 reviews are from the Bastas Trattoria and Bar reviews archive.
- Delicious and Timelylove2eatoutDined on 5/10/2014We were headed to a Blazer game and wanted a good, but quick meal before the game and Bastas fit the bill! We enjoyed a glass of wine, appetizer, and entree all within 30 minutes. It worked out perfectly for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb in almost every wayHappy2BPDXDined on 5/2/2014The little dishes (happy hour all day every day) are superb--we tried five of them: grilled calamari, polenta lasagna, a couple of inventive salads, and the best fried onion rings in Portland, bar none. We had a three-year-old with us, and they accommodated her graciously, and the person who had a cocktail said it was excellent. The only shortfall is in ambience: nice light through the windows, but the building is uninspiring and the decor is unmemorable except for the aquarium, which was a hit with the three-year old.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice little spot with good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014The restaurant was nice, the food was good and the prices were a little on the higher end. The server was awkward, but did her best to make friendly conversation. Overall, we enjoyed the meal (pizza, salad, lasagna) and had plenty to take home for two people.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/14/2014Great food, drinks, service. Fun time. Would definitely reccommend .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some of the best Italian foodDavePVIPDined on 4/5/2014Everyday is Happy Hour, the deals and food are outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No flavor - boring menu and goodSlayneDined on 4/5/2014I won't be going back. Really plain food with hardly any taste.
- This was my first visit andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2014This was my first visit and I will definitely go back. The menu provided several vegetarian options and the house wine price was at happy hour prices until 6:30. The waiter ( Jay) was energetic, helpful with the menu and attentive. I am very happy a friend recommended this spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for childrenGr8GatsbyDined on 3/17/2014The food was good, and our server was outstanding. This biggest issue was that the restaurant didn't have a high chair for children. I'm not sure how a restaurant could even be operating without a high chair.Special Features:
- First TimerJRTimeDined on 3/1/2014Finally made it to Bastas for dinner with friends. We were seated promptly at our reservation time, and our server was quite pleasant. We opted for a mix of small plates and dinner plates. Everyone enjoyed their meals, especially the wild boar dinner plate and the brussel sprouts were perfectly prepared. The wine list was excellent, and the had 5-6 local beers to choose from also. By the end of the meal we were too full for dessert, but many of them listed on the menu sounded excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unsung Northwest gem!GigiDined on 2/24/2014Basta’s: a foodie bargain! All-night Happy Hour; a $9 ample plate of delicious port-sauced pork-tenderloin or one of the best hamburgers in town, both with amazing Tuscan potatoes. Two can share a huge Caesar salad WITH anchovies. Try calamari uniquely paired with lentils, a grand variety of Italian dishes, and daily specials...spaghetti with bottarga last night. The bartender can make a proper Negroni. Hazelnut gelato and tiramisu are authentic, luscious, and a perfect end to your meal. (The only drawback: a distracting screen, but at least there's no sound, only subtitles.) Servers are attentive, friendly, and fun...we especially love the delightful Shelby! Don't be fooled by the IHOP-style architecture; inside is a very special spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Return to GreatnessTheFourJaysDined on 2/15/2014Back in the mid-80's my mother and I used to dine at the same location when it was a Chinese restaurant. I even remember when it was a Tastee-Freeze way before too! Then it became a Malaysian restaurant before Bastas. I only ate at Bastas once back in 1996 or 1997, can't remember, so long ago. Our visit on 2/15/14 was FANTASTIC. From the moment we walked in to the moment we said good bye. The service is spectacular! The food, even better. We ordered the escargo for an appetizer, not bad. Dinner consisted of Gnocchi e Maiale (gnocchi with pork), seafood medley baked with spaghetti with a crust in a clay pot (baked, think: pie), and roasted asparagus. All delicious and presented/created with care. So good....thank you and we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below averageoscarDined on 2/14/2014Went in for a Valentine's dinner, first time there. The restaurant had pretty good reviews online, but it was a disappointment. We asked for a steak well , done, came in medium rare, had them recook it with the same result. The other dish, pasta, was average, sauce tasted like from a jar. Service was courteous, though.
- Valentine's Day HitngakaldenDined on 2/14/2014Reserved a table here for Valentines Day, glad I did. Quite and romantic place with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerMelTDined on 1/25/2014Very happy with our dinner here. Flawless experience. Nothing to critique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!JustapatronDined on 1/22/2014The menu had lots of choices ranging from traditional plates to dishes with lots of imagination and interesting food pairings. Wines (Italian of course) were super. We had a Barbera and a Sangiovese. It was a cute restaurant, laid out to use the space well but able to make you feel like you had your own private space. It's on my list now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as alwaysMichaelCDined on 1/11/2014Great service, creative and delicious food. And the wine list is impressive, and NOT marked up nearly as much as most restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had our family Christmas EveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/24/2013Had our family Christmas Eve dinner at Bastas and all ages enjoyed. The service was great - our waiter was very helpful and friendly. Look forward to returning again soon.Special Features:
- Bastas ExperienceMikeDined on 11/22/2013Enjoyed dining at Bastas many times. Usually Friday evenings after services at Temple Beth Israel. Wait staff are knowledgeable and accomodating.Special Features:
- As out-of-towners, we choselagunatic345VIPDined on 8/19/2012As out-of-towners, we chose the restaurant based on Open Table reviews and we were not disappointed. The food was very, very good and our server was gracious and attentive. This is a great restaurant for a quiet evening out at reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Since opening about 20 years11goose19VIPDined on 8/3/2012Since opening about 20 years ago, I have been to Basta's innumerable number of times and each time I find the food, service and ambience to be as good as, if not better, the previous time. I have tried just about every dish on the menu and specials and have never been disappointed. The Italian wine list is extensive and there is wine on the list for every budget.Special Features:
- Basra already!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/21/2012Everything was ok but we believe they are cutting corners & the food is no longer as delicious & authentic as in the past. Chicken croquant was seemingly deep fried, dry & nothing special. The shredded fennel salad was tasty but room temp & wilted. I recreated @ home, served cold it was very good. The street scene passing by our table was vibrant to vulgar...eye opening for those of us living in the countryside beyond Portlandia. Good luck Bastas, stay true to your roots.
- One of our favorite restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/27/2012One of our favorite restaurants for the past 16 years. Marco and his terrific staff are consistently a+Special Features:
- We experienced an odd combinationlucky6VIPDined on 5/18/2012We experienced an odd combination of plusses and minuses: excellent Caesar dressing on moderately limp romaine lettuce; outstanding pasta dish featuring house-made spaghetti noodles, but tiramisu that was past its prime. Also, our server clearly wished he was doing something else for a living. Still, it was a satisfying meal, and we will happily return.Special Features:
- Seen Better DaysOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/11/2012Bastas was once a great place to dine; great food, great service, and an unusual but nice atmosphere. Not so much any longer. Our last two visits have been dissapointing, especially this last. The place is getting run down, the service is off, and the food is bland and poorly executed.
- Food and Service continueOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/9/2012Food and Service continue to be outstanding. We have been going there for over 15 years. Baked Sea Bass is the best anywhere, when they make it.Special Features: