3601 Arapahoe Ave
Boulder, CO 80303Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pizzeriabasta.com/
- Phone: 3039978775
- Hours of Operation:
Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Kelly Whitaker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Basta uses a mobile wood fire oven to cater off site and bring the wood fire restaurant experience to you. The focus is on multi course family style menus at a location of your choosing. Rentals, staffing and event planning are also available.
- Private Party Facilities: Our dining room is the perfect size for a private party of up to 65 guests. It is available for private parties for dinner seven nights per week. We also offer private lunch and happy hour events. Sample menus available upon request.
- Private Party Contact: Alan 3039978775
A word from Basta
Basta is a wood fire eatery committed to providing house made specialties like roasted half chicken and whole striped bass as well as classic gourmet pizzas. Hand made pastas and oysters also make regular appearances on the menu. The wine and beer list is centered around small artisan producers, with a rotating craft beer selection on draft. Chef Kelly Whitaker concentrates on locally grown produce, meats and domestic charcuterie to create the foundation for his unique wood fire menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Basta - Best Restaurants in Boulder ›
Basta reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (55)neighborhood gem (41)good for groups (23)great for outdoor dining (22)romantic (14)special occasion (12)hot spot (11)late-night find (10)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (9)notable wine list (8)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great spot, and still going late!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/22/2014We had an 8pm reservation and the room was still buzzing. Menu was fun and food well done. Selections are always changing. Service is terrific and we love the space. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Basta!KathyDined on 8/19/2014Our meal for this visit: great pizza, perfect wood fired veggies salad, peach/corn soup delicious with velvet texture, peach tart-like dessert fabulous. Simple Basta red was perfect with meal. Place has a happy romantic vibe. A bit noisy - that is the only drawback. We come here for birthdays and sometimes just for a romantic dinner. And sitting near the big wood-fired oven in the winter is fun to see how the good is cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great times awkward bartenderMunchmaQuicheDined on 8/13/2014we love basta. its a great option for dining away from the bustle of pearl street. had a bit of a weird interaction with the bartender but all the other servers were great. food was delish as usual. its at least a monthly staple for me when i need italian style pizza and meats/cheese to go with it.Special Features:
- Genuine ItalianBlondieVIPDined on 8/8/2014Trendy little bistro hidden in an apartment complex outside of town. Well worth the trip to eat the kind of pizza you only find in Italy. My Italian-born husband and son have claimed it the best they have eaten in the US. As for me, I'll vouch that the barista mixes up a mean Negroni. Bet you can't drink just one.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/8/2014A pleasant place for lunch on Fridays. Friendly and good service. I had their Beer Cocktail which, at $9 was overpriced and neither beer nor cocktail and its saving grace was the ice, that's the best I can say.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014This place is amazing everything. Food drinks wine service atmosphere is all so on pointSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always punches above their weightSobofoodieDined on 8/2/2014I am pretty much a regular here and am always surprised and pleased with dinner. Basta gets my nod for best pizza in Boulder, but there are also great small plates and a good wine list. We like to sit at the bar in front of the oven in the winter and by the bartender in the summer. It is a small restaurant with a small menu, great personal service, and an off the beaten path location. Can be hard to get a table during prime time so make reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/10/2014I schedule my Birthday with Basta and Basta did not let me down. Our favorite place in Boulder.Special Features:
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/9/2014Great wood oven fired half chicken and Pizza, the drinks where also unique and tastySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely MealandyVIPDined on 7/4/2014We've been to Basta many, many times. Our dinner last night did not disappoint us. We brought a friend and shared duck rillette and pork shoulder appetizers, both of which were very good. We also shared two pizzas - with the best crust EVER - and charred fish. Everything was delicious. Four scoops of homemade ice cream finished the meal - then we were off to see the fireworks. Thanks Basta!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of the way Gem23rdStudiosVIPDined on 6/20/2014Basta is one of those places that if the food wasn't so damn good they probably wouldn't stay in business. Worth you time if you've never been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian in BoulderataqdinerDined on 6/20/2014Aside from the poor acoustics, this place is a pleasant surprise every time I eat there (often). Masquerading as a pizza joint, the food and pizzas are the most creative in Boulder which is saying alot given the generally high level of food available in Boulder. The waiters are well-trained and knowledgeable about the menu an food prep. All hot dishes are made in the large and prominent wood-fired oven in the back of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as UsualOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/14/2014The summer pizza with peaches and procciutto was really good. The Oregon Huckleberry Tart was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding as usuall!TombaDined on 6/14/2014I enjoyed the dinner AGAIN at the BASTA! Their food is consistent and very good. No complain! We are DEFINITELY back there soon!!!!Special Features:
- Disappointed AgainMamericaVIPDined on 6/6/2014This is the second time in the past month we've been at this restaurant and they were out of the whole fish. Since there are only 3 main entrees on the menu-chicken, fish and short ribs it seems that there should be enough to last an evening. We asked about the fish, the server said it was delicious only to return to tell us that they were out. Very disappointing!Special Features:
- LoudPowerLunchDined on 5/25/2014The place is very small, very noisy and pricey. The servers were pleasant but very busy. The menu was somewhat limited. The pizza was thin crusted without much in the way of toppings.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/14/2014Once again, i enjoyed the energy, food and wine at Basta. I recommend Basta to my friends.Special Features:
- busy nightOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/8/2014Food was wonderful but the restaurant was very crowded and only one waiter. He did the best he could with many challenges, but service was not up to its usual standards.Special Features:
- The following 148 reviews are from the Basta reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/28/2014Don't miss the pizza at Basta. Crust is perfect. Toppings are delicious and the service is the best in Boulder.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little restaurantEmlibrarianDined on 4/25/2014We ate at Basta while visiting Boulder. The food was tasty and the service even better. The "Peppers" pizza and the hazelnut chocolate ice cream (made in-house) were the highlights of our meal. Make sure you have a reservation, as it's a small restaurant.Special Features:
- Disgraceful-will not be returningnonTexanVIPDined on 4/25/2014Bar staff should learn how to pour beer. The 2 glasses delivered to the table were 1/3 full, and the rest foam! Server argued, and said that was how it was. After insisting, she brought a miniature top up glass. Then, I felt that they 'tampered' with the food. Hard to prove, but looked like spit in the pizza in a couple of places. Such a shame, as we have been here several times - and will not be returning.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/24/2014Amazing!! Will be back a bunch! All the dishes were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will come back againlawnpeopleDined on 4/5/2014Finally a place in Boulder with great food you can actually hear a conversation at your table without shouting. The salads, apps, and pizza were great. The only limiting factor was the wine list per glass was a little shallow, but what they did offer was acceptable. And taking reservations was a plus for a restaurant that was moderately priced. We will return. Our server Stephen was helpful and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experience!LuvfinefoodDined on 4/5/2014I took my CU Boulder son and two of his fraternity brothers to dinner there and we had a wonderful dining experience. In addition to everyone ordering their own pizza, we all shared the smoked vegetable salad and then I ordered every dessert on the menu. It was fun sampling and commenting on all the delicious food we enjoyed. The guys are still talking about it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clams to die for!SusiqVIPDined on 3/28/2014Omg! The wood fired clams were amazing! They should be serve ed with linguine pasta or as a big bowl....so good!! The wood fired winter vegetable salad was divine too...as were the pizzas...dipping the crust into the clam broth (as suggested by the server!) YUM!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placePattyjoVIPDined on 3/28/2014Never disappoints. Always new surprises along with your favorites, for me the Burata.Special Features:
- Excellent as usual. The additionOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/28/2014Excellent as usual. The addition if the polenta small plate to the menu was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place but priceypizzaluvr15Dined on 3/21/2014My fiance and I have gone to Basra a lot but we noticed they increased their menu prices but cut back on some of the toppings . It was a nice dinner out but needs to be a social occasion for us to feel OK spending $15 on a personal pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great mealSushiLoverVIPDined on 3/18/2014We eat at Basta every couple of weeks, so we have tried almost everything on the menu. Their pizzas are fantastic, but in this review I want to focus on the baked chicken. It's prepared like "brick chicken" where a half chicken is flattened and pressed so that everything bakes evenly. The skin is crispy and wonderful -- and the chicken is moist and juicy. If you order a couple of appetizers and this one entree between two of you, you'll be full. And don't miss the campfire smoked vanilla ice cream -- you won't believe your tastebuds!Special Features:
- Always a great meal ! OnlyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/14/2014Always a great meal ! Only negative is, it's very noisy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pizza and salad.Comet9Dined on 3/8/2014We enjoy this neighborhood restaurant for its ambiance, excellent pizza and great salad. We've been here several times, and should expand our horizons with the food, but enjoy these two items so much that we always order it. Also have wine and beer. Would love it if they had happy hour pricing, and would open before 4. Fun bar area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Pizza in DenverFirecommDined on 3/7/2014There is a reason Westword voted Basta the best neopolitan-style pizza in Metro Denver. I think they are among the best I have ever had, and that includes several in New York and my favorite in Toronto. My son thinks it's better than Pizza Calore (but only slightly). We tried the Daisy, White and Cart-Driver pies and each was perfectly prepared and cooked. As you can tell, I have found my new, favorite pizza place. Great, friendly and fast service. Too bad they are only open for lunch on Fridays. If I have one complaint, they are a bit hard to find. They are located on The Peloton on Arapahoe and 33rd, but it's only accessible from the interior courtyard. Molto Buona!Special Features:
- World-class creative chefOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2014First course was an arctic char pate served with fish chicharona - an amazing whole air-dried fish skin (about a foot long!) that had been seared in the pizza oven - tasted like a cracker and was perfect for the pate. The next was a chicken liver mousse in wine gelee with citrus focaccia - perfectly warm rectangular cube of thin-sliced focaccia topped with a glazed lemon slice. awesome! And on and on. We'll be back!!Special Features:
- First time there for the 5THM77Dined on 2/22/2014First time there for the 5 of us. We drove up from Denver and were going to the CU basketball game. Basta was a great fit and we will recommend to others.Special Features:
- Hands Down Best Pizza in BoulderpizzaxpertDined on 2/21/2014You've got killer crust, like Pizzeria Dalupo, with the best sauce and cheese, like Pizzeria Locale. Put them together and you get the best pizza in town. Seriously. Its tucked away and hard to find but those who do find it won't be disappointed. Great charcuterie and the chicken is pretty darn good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our local favoritePattyjoVIPDined on 2/14/2014Never disappointed, always surprised. Great food and drinks(the bartender is an artist)! Service is amazing. I almost don't want to share to keep it quiet, but it is too good not to tell :).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Fantastic!SushiLoverVIPDined on 2/5/2014The wine list is worth mention as it's a collection of small batch wines that are fabulous at even the lowest price point. As for food, we're addicted to the Arctic Chard appetizer and the burrata. Trust me that you will be blown away by the artistry of the Arctic Chard presentation. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Too much braggingskippyDined on 1/28/2014We were given too much information about all the special ingredients instead of being allowed to enjoy the food. My pizza had a soggy bottom and really wasn't any better than a really top supermarket pizzzaSpecial Features:
- Nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/20/2014Basta is a great little place. It's tough to find, but worth the search. The one downside is that it is incredibly noisy...so not good for conversation. Wait staff is friendly and attentive, the food is great.Special Features:
- Unique options done perfectlySushiLoverVIPDined on 1/16/2014Almost everything on the menu is fabulous -- and the wine options are extremely unique as the owner tries to find small batch vintners. Don't miss the Arctic Chard appetizer -- the presentation will blow you away! And the Burrata with leeks and pancetta appetizer is always a winner. Enjoy!Special Features: