3601 Arapahoe Ave
Boulder, CO 80303Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pizzeriabasta.com/
- Phone: (303) 997-8775
- Hours of Operation:
Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Kelly Whitaker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Basta uses a mobile wood fire oven to cater off site and bring the wood fire restaurant experience to you. The focus is on multi course family style menus at a location of your choosing. Rentals, staffing and event planning are also available.
- Private Party Facilities: Our dining room is the perfect size for a private party of up to 65 guests. It is available for private parties for dinner seven nights per week. We also offer private lunch and happy hour events. Sample menus available upon request.
- Private Party Contact: Alan 3039978775
A word from Basta
Basta is a wood fire eatery committed to providing house made specialties like roasted half chicken and whole striped bass as well as classic gourmet pizzas. Hand made pastas and oysters also make regular appearances on the menu. The wine and beer list is centered around small artisan producers, with a rotating craft beer selection on draft. Chef Kelly Whitaker concentrates on locally grown produce, meats and domestic charcuterie to create the foundation for his unique wood fire menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Basta - Best Restaurants in Boulder ›
Basta reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (65)neighborhood gem (54)good for groups (21)hot spot (17)special occasion (17)notable wine list (14)romantic (10)great for outdoor dining (10)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- TooterjuniorDined on 11/21/2014This was our first visit and we were delighted with friendly service and excellent food. We will definitely return and recommend to friends as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food and service top notch. noise level high.gabrielratchetDined on 11/21/2014went for lunch on a friday, and glad i found it, and a place to park. the food was excellent, the service cheerful and knowledgeable…. BUT once most of the tables were filled, the noise level made conversation untenable. the room itself is badly in need of acoustic attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal as usualSharoninBoulderDined on 11/20/2014We came for the First Bites menu. We come here all the time for pizza. Everything was exceptional. The combination of flavors is always a delight here. It's brilliant. If it's not First Bites, get the pizza. You won't be sorry. It's the best pizza in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic First BiteOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/18/2014Although we frequent Pizzeria Basta for Friday lunch, we rarely have diviner there. The "First Bite Boulder" menu attracted us, and we were not disappointed. The smoked oysters were superb, and the rabbit confit and Waygu meatloaf were equally delicious. Service was friendly and spot on. Bravo Basta!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/18/2014Loved everything we ordered - very creative and tasty! Our server was fantastic. Will definitely be on our regular rotation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a hidden findpenjoDined on 11/18/2014Some friends and I decided at the last minute to try Basta for Boulder's First Bite event. It was a great choice. Each of the courses were well prepared, eye pleasing, and creative. The servers were knowledgeable about the food, friendly and accommodating. We plan on going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food, warm atmospherePearlDined on 11/15/2014The food was wonderful and the staff very helpful. We shared all our dishes and it worked well. The atmosphere is casual and comfortable. There were many groups of friends but also couples and families. It was a great date night with my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basta is the go-to place for local foodiesFoodSavantDined on 11/12/2014Kelly Whittaker has created a very unique and food-focused venue in the unlikeliest of places. Situated in the ground floor of a mid-rise residential project, Basta is a comfortable and interesting palce for casual dining. The focus is a wood-fired oven in which nearly all the plates and main dishes are prepared. A rich variety of small plates that changes frequently allow for sharing, grazing and social time. It's telling that one often sees the staff from other Boulder restaurants coming to Basta later in the evening to unwind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food optionLukaDined on 11/8/2014First time at Basta and went with another couple. Restaurant is very difficult to find as it is in residential area with poor signage. Restaurant itself has a nice ambiance and casual feeling. Due to wood floors and decor, it gets noisy and is hard to hear other members of the party. Food was all well prepared and interesting options from wood-fired stove. Loved the cheese trays!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cushytushDined on 11/3/2014Would highly recommend the food.. especially the Colorado bass and the roasted vegetables. Also their gluten free crust/bread is great for what it is. Only thing to change is the seating... the benches get uncomfortable by the end of dinner... and especially if you want to linger... Get more chairs with backs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Difficult to find, but worth itColoradoDinerPeteVIPDined on 11/2/2014Circle through the condo parking lot; not really visible from Arapahoe Street except for a small sign, but keep looking because once you're there, you've discovered a real treat. Excellent salads (roasted vegetables and a funky caesar like you've never had before), great pizzas and reasonable prices. Topped by a freindly wait staff, good micro brew selection and you've got a fun, casual evening covered. Just keep looking.......Special Features:
- larocheDined on 10/31/2014Looking for the best Neapolitan pizza in the Denver/Boulder area. I think I found it. Our waiter was seriously helpful and into what he does. The chef was also very committed, open and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobbleDined on 10/30/2014Everything was real good, but the pizza was outstanding. We really enjoyed it! Will definitely go back and recommend to others!Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceLoveColoradoDiningVIPDined on 10/29/2014We really enjoyed Basta. The food is fantastic, the space is warm and clean and the service was spot on. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- 975 degrees fahrenheitGalisteoDined on 10/18/2014Almost every cooked dish at Basta is seared or baked in a wood fired oven that was 975 degrees fahrenheit the evening my wife and I ate there. We sat at the bar and watched the two chefs masterfully maneuver every entree and appetizer through a small opening in the wood fired oven. As a cook myself, I was quite impressed with both their ability to work as a team and to know that oven so well that they can manage lamb to octopus cooked to perfection. Great food & service, good menu, priced well, intimate, parking was easy.Special Features:
- Consistently goodSteveGBoulderVIPDined on 10/17/2014I've been to Basta 4 times for both dinner and lunch. Have always had a great meal. The main focus is pizza, but the rest of the menu is also excellent. The restaurant is small, so make a reservation.Special Features:
- Great foodboulderlindaDined on 10/11/2014This was our first visit to Basta. It might be a good idea to call ahead for directions and not just use your GPS. It's well hidden. However, once you get there the food is worth the effort. Great meat and cheese board followed by the best pizza I have had this side of Italy. The noise level takes a while to get used to. I chose the word energetic but it is very loud. Everyone was friendly and most of the other diners seemed to have been there before. We will go again, too. The food is amazing.Special Features:
- BastaVTfoodguyDined on 10/8/2014The theme is "wood-fired" which is fine but limiting I suspect. The food menu is small but the wine list is sizable and primarily European. Eight meats and cheeses which can be bought a la carte or in groups. The selection was good and there was little of the run-of-the-mill meats and cheeses which seem to litter most other menus. The next section of the menu was small plates and salads. The small plates were my favorite part of the menu but they were seafood heavy, so my selection was limited. Then there were three somewhat pedestrian entrees - we got the "wood-fired chicken" which was unremarkable. Finally there was a sizable wood-fired pizza selection which looked both inspired and appetizing but we did not order from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeds ExpectationsbramboolieDined on 9/21/2014I had heard great things about Basta and happen to know a few of the staff members by being in the industry, and was not disappointed with my personal experience. I stuffed myself with cheese, a roasted vegetable salad with the most delicious broccoli, and decided to order a wood-fire pizza to go and enjoy dessert. They have a stellar cocktail program, including their own aged Negroni, and a well selected wine list. The staff is attentive, very friendly and moderately paced. They really love what they do here and know how to care for their guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KaminsVIPDined on 9/19/2014Excellent food and service. A bit noisy but overall a wonderful time. Our 2nd time there and we live in California. We will make it a point to eat at Basta whenever we are in town.Special Features:
- Basta always delivers!TIMKODined on 9/18/2014Basta is a restaurant you can always count on to provide great food, great atmosphere, and great service. Other than the amazing pizza, the short rib dish for 2 is one of the best dishes in Colorado and the roast chicken IS the best in Colorado.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time great - second time mehConsultantDined on 9/12/2014We went to Basta over the summer and had a great dinner - food was great, ambiance good, etc. Second time was quite a different experience. I am putting it to the weather. On a nice evening Basta uses the tables outside and it distributes the traffic. When we went last night, the outside was too cold, the inside was packed, the noise level was miserable, and the servers were struggling to keep up. Recommendations: If they do not get some awnings and heaters, then skip this one until May.
- Beer CocktailsBeezieVIPDined on 9/5/2014In addition to fantastic wood oven fare (try the Cart Driver), the cocktail program here is creative and top notch... A hidden gem, one of the best places in Boulder to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeRodgerDodgerDined on 9/5/2014Basta never ceases to please. From the moment you enter the restaurant you are greeted and treated like a king or queen. The food is always awesome and the service second to none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinnerjrmardenDined on 8/31/2014nice place that is tucked away and keeps the crowds away.. will come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No complains !TombaDined on 8/31/2014Love this place!! I have been there for dinner more than 5 times. never be disappointed by this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great spot, and still going late!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/22/2014We had an 8pm reservation and the room was still buzzing. Menu was fun and food well done. Selections are always changing. Service is terrific and we love the space. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Basta!KathyDined on 8/19/2014Our meal for this visit: great pizza, perfect wood fired veggies salad, peach/corn soup delicious with velvet texture, peach tart-like dessert fabulous. Simple Basta red was perfect with meal. Place has a happy romantic vibe. A bit noisy - that is the only drawback. We come here for birthdays and sometimes just for a romantic dinner. And sitting near the big wood-fired oven in the winter is fun to see how the good is cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great times awkward bartenderMunchmaQuicheDined on 8/13/2014we love basta. its a great option for dining away from the bustle of pearl street. had a bit of a weird interaction with the bartender but all the other servers were great. food was delish as usual. its at least a monthly staple for me when i need italian style pizza and meats/cheese to go with it.Special Features:
- Genuine ItalianBlondieVIPDined on 8/8/2014Trendy little bistro hidden in an apartment complex outside of town. Well worth the trip to eat the kind of pizza you only find in Italy. My Italian-born husband and son have claimed it the best they have eaten in the US. As for me, I'll vouch that the barista mixes up a mean Negroni. Bet you can't drink just one.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/8/2014A pleasant place for lunch on Fridays. Friendly and good service. I had their Beer Cocktail which, at $9 was overpriced and neither beer nor cocktail and its saving grace was the ice, that's the best I can say.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 8/2/2014This place is amazing everything. Food drinks wine service atmosphere is all so on pointSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always punches above their weightSobofoodieDined on 8/2/2014I am pretty much a regular here and am always surprised and pleased with dinner. Basta gets my nod for best pizza in Boulder, but there are also great small plates and a good wine list. We like to sit at the bar in front of the oven in the winter and by the bartender in the summer. It is a small restaurant with a small menu, great personal service, and an off the beaten path location. Can be hard to get a table during prime time so make reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 159 reviews are from the Basta reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/10/2014I schedule my Birthday with Basta and Basta did not let me down. Our favorite place in Boulder.Special Features:
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/9/2014Great wood oven fired half chicken and Pizza, the drinks where also unique and tastySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely MealandyVIPDined on 7/4/2014We've been to Basta many, many times. Our dinner last night did not disappoint us. We brought a friend and shared duck rillette and pork shoulder appetizers, both of which were very good. We also shared two pizzas - with the best crust EVER - and charred fish. Everything was delicious. Four scoops of homemade ice cream finished the meal - then we were off to see the fireworks. Thanks Basta!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of the way Gem23rdStudiosVIPDined on 6/20/2014Basta is one of those places that if the food wasn't so damn good they probably wouldn't stay in business. Worth you time if you've never been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian in BoulderataqdinerDined on 6/20/2014Aside from the poor acoustics, this place is a pleasant surprise every time I eat there (often). Masquerading as a pizza joint, the food and pizzas are the most creative in Boulder which is saying alot given the generally high level of food available in Boulder. The waiters are well-trained and knowledgeable about the menu an food prep. All hot dishes are made in the large and prominent wood-fired oven in the back of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as UsualOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/14/2014The summer pizza with peaches and procciutto was really good. The Oregon Huckleberry Tart was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding as usuall!TombaDined on 6/14/2014I enjoyed the dinner AGAIN at the BASTA! Their food is consistent and very good. No complain! We are DEFINITELY back there soon!!!!Special Features: