7036 Clayton Ave
Saint Louis, MO 63117Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.basso-stl.com/
- Phone: 3149327820x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 4 pm – 1 am
Full menu available until 10 pm, late night menu available until closing
Friday - Saturday: 4pm - 1 am
Full menu available until 11 pm, late night menu available until closing
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Patrick Connolly
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Basso
Basso is a sleek and exciting basement pub with an Italian accent and a playful attitude. Its creative mix of elements results in an intimate dining experience that is truly a feast for the senses. Chef Patrick Connolly's menu has all of the hallmarks of a traditional gastro pub with wood-fired pizzas, innovative small plates, 32 beers on tap and a host of Italian wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Basso - Best Restaurants in Clayton ›
Basso reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (52)vibrant bar scene (48)neighborhood gem (35)good for groups (32)romantic (26)late-night find (26)hot spot (26)special occasion (25)notable wine list (15)great for lunch (5)great for outdoor dining (4)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Enjoyable DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014We had a great first time experience at Basso. The food was great. My only complaint are the multiple giant televisions. Even though I couldn't hear the sound, they were very distracting.Special Features:
- Good food in casual fun atmosphereAllisonstlVIPDined on 9/11/2014Upscale bar food- hamburger was not to be missed. Great appetizers (meatballs, artichoke) and a fun (loud) atmosphere. Great staff made the night a success (thanks, Mark!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and serviceAJ104Dined on 9/5/2014The food was great, service was wonderful but I couldn't hear the person talk next to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, great new eats, but noisySTLFoodieDined on 8/23/2014Great place to grab an eccentric bite to eat! I really enjoyed the set up of the restaurant. Service was great, but I couldn't hear her well because it is so noisy inside! A couple of pallets of cloth would help to alleviate this. I really enjoyed the mix of flavors on The Donald Pizza, but the whole wheat linguine is so overpowered with spice that it takes away from the flavors of shrimp and other ingredients. Great place for foodies and those who want to try something new! We will definitely be back to try their happy hour!Special Features:
- Expensive and garlicky!!!MickeymouseDined on 8/23/2014Very expensive. My pizza was so garlicy I had an aftertaste for 2 days. Limited menu. No bread service. Noisy.
- Fun atmosphere in a classic spaceLoveSTLDiningVIPDined on 8/22/2014For those who remember the old Cheshire, this is a wonderful, modern update. Terrazzo floors intact ... everything else updated. Eclectic menu that changes seasonally. Decent beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegetable-Pasta-PizzatakemeoutDined on 8/21/2014The 3-4 $'s shouldn't deter anyone. Most dishes here can be shared by two people, order a few. Our server guided us to the roasted cauliflower as an all-time favorite. Good choice, great textures and complex tastes - $6. I also wanted to try the pasta, so we ordered the small Mafalda (beef & pork ragu). Wonderful and good dipping for the pizza crusts - $10. For pizza, we chose the Emo Cover Band (sausage, cippolini, pancetta, mushroom, poblano, & provel). So much flavor! This is possibly the best pizza I've ever eaten. $17 You won't want to leave anything left on any of the dishes. Total - $33Special Features:
- Pizzas are the "real deal"STLvisitorsDined on 8/16/2014Loved the large group tables - this is where I want to book my next group event! Extensive beer list. Pizza crust was perfect.Special Features:
- Phenomenal Cocktails!UrbanLegendDined on 8/14/2014Best cocktails in St. Louis, hands down. Lively, but never too crowded. Great service, awesome atmosphere... Really can't say enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the decorkmlpageVIPDined on 8/12/2014Such a quaint place! Good food, great service and LOVE the Inspector Clouseau beverage!Special Features:
- One of the besttastymagazineDined on 8/9/2014There are two places in STL that have restaurant quality similar to Las Vegas and Basso is one of them. The service is excellent. The food is always new and amazing. The chefs behind the counter are all knowledgeable. The drinks are top shelf and everything is just awesome. The manager runs a tight ship and Chef Patrick just has this air or responsibility that take over the cook's line and just makes everything run so smooth. The menu changes so you can't say any one thing is awesome and then someone goes there and it is isn't offered. What I can tell you, is that after going there maybe 10 or more times in the past 2 years, there has been nothing, I haven't liked.Special Features:
- Great Date Night!SarahDined on 8/9/2014We had a great meal at Basso. Our server was fantastic. I wish I could remember her name, but she made the night great. She suggested popular food items as well as beers on the large beer list. She was very knowledgeable. The food was great. The only item I didn't like were the chicken wings, and that's because they were very spicy. My favorite items were the meatballs and the roasted artichoke. My only small complaint was when I made the reservation I asked to be sat in a booth, and specifically said we did not want to sit at a high top, and we were in fact sat at a high top. Not a huge deal, but worth mentioning.Special Features:
- Awesome service and foodJackieDined on 8/9/2014Service was exceptional! Also - we had a lot of picky eaters with us and everyone found something they really enjoyed! We've been to Basso about 3 times prior to Saturday and will be back!Special Features:
- Great dinner before moviejavamama3VIPDined on 8/6/2014Four of us had about an hour and 15 minutes before walking to the Hi Pointe. Waiter was helpful and got our food to us on time, advising us when to order a pizza so it would come out in time. We had the smoked trout with fried capers on shaved squash - delicious! Caprese was local heirloom tomatoes with delicate burrata. Corn on the cob had a nod to Mexican street corn, but wasn't my favorite, but my husband really liked it. Fonduta was an easy pleaser & the hero pizza didn't disappoint. Happy Hour red wine was quality, cocktails were creative & prices pretty outstanding for what we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost GreatAlanDined on 8/4/2014We had a great time and enjoyed the food and atmosphere. When we went to pay the bill we were informed the Muny transport was not running that night. That was the whole point of using the venue that evening. Very aggravating as that was outlined when we made the reservation, I followed up with a call and confirmed, stated out intent when we were seated and were even given a pass number. We still enjoyed ourselves but Basso did through a wrench in what was going to be a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Little MenuEagle1984Dined on 8/1/2014Nice selection of dishes--not too many and most fairly original takes on normal fare. Good happy hour prices of drink AND food. Reservation a must on weekends.Special Features:
- Italian Gastro?OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/28/2014The menu is a little strange. They dont offer any menu items you would typically find in a gasto-pub, however they have a community table so I guess they think that makes them gastro. Food is typical Italian menu, pizza was really good. Pastas are hit and miss.
- Sat niteSuzieDined on 7/19/2014Service and food was very good. Only complaint is need a couple more small plate veggie choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointingFun2EatOutDined on 7/19/2014Each time we go the food is amazing. Wish they would have kept the mushroom gnocchi on the menu BUT the crispy meatballs and roasted cauliflower are still available.Special Features:
- Reliably good, but needs fresheningBraseGigantiVIPDined on 7/18/2014First and foremost, Basso always serves pretty spectacular pasta, flatbreads, charcuterie boards, and the like. The pasta mafalda is not to be missed. BUT: three gripes after frequest visits. One, the menu has remained pretty much the same since opening day, and I'd like to see the chef change it up. Second, the wine list, while featuring Italian wines for the most part, is pretty weak. Yes, I know they want to cater to a sports-bar crowd, but great food deserves great (popularly priced) wine. Finally, the "appetizers" are more like side dishes, and there is NOTHING that could pass as a nice bar snack. I'm increasingly weary of restaurants that demand you buy an appetizer (Brussels sprouts? Really?) to have with your cocktail.Special Features:
- Amazing ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Everything about Basso's was outstanding. Free valet parking as we arrived was a great bonus. The restaurant itself is in the basement of a building, but it didn't have that dank basement feel to it. Our server was outstanding. She was quickly able to answer all of our questions and was there for us when we needed her to be, but was never pushy or overbearing. The food was simply incredible. Each bite of the pizza was better than the bite before. Great beer and wine list to pick from. I can't recommend the raspberry cheesecake for desert enough. It was so rich and creamy that my wife and I almost ordered a second.Special Features:
- Good food, noisyYesitsmeannaVIPDined on 7/12/2014Loved the bibb lettuce salad and great pizza. Good service, noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian tapas - what?YourstrulyDined on 7/12/2014GREAT food! This is a fun menu concept. Pizza, pasta and sides meant to be shared. Casual but with up to the minute ambiance. Big screens make watching sports from anywhere possible but the wine list and 'fit for foodies' deliciousness of the small plates plus pizza and pasta make this unique. I'm not a huge kale fan but the kale caesar salad was perfect with the other small bites. We wanted to try one of everything!Special Features:
- disappointingKCreviewDined on 7/11/2014too noisy; waiter inattentive and condescending; some dishes very good but most unusual with too many ingredients; would not return.Special Features:
- Great Happy Hour findOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/10/2014My wife and I were looking for a casual but above average dinner and hit a home run at Basso. The $7 Happy Hour pizzas are a steal, and the drink specials were also very good. A tasty Italian red wine for $5 and a specialty cocktail for $6 were both excellent value.Special Features:
- In a rushCharlieMomDined on 7/7/2014We had a short window to have dinner at Basso before heading to a concert downtown. The server we had immediately acknowledged this (having seen the comment on our online reservation) and made the experience efficient without feeling rushed. The food was very tasty and the happy hour specials were a great deal. We would definitely do this again!Special Features:
- dinner and shuttle to the STL Fair.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/4/2014Everyone was so accommodating and helpful, especially the parking staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/2/2014We went to Basso for our 9th wedding anniversary and had an absolutely amazing experience. I had requested a quiet corner booth or table for us when I made the reservation and they accommodated us with no problem, and wished us a Happy Anniversary as soon as our waitress arrived. My wife is also expecting, so the bartender made a special non-alcoholic drink for her. Our waitress was phenomenal and did a wonderful job of explaining the menu to us since we had never been there. Finally, the food was outstanding. We have gone to other restaurants for our anniversary and spent almost $200. Our bill at Basso was only $66 and we left full with food as good if not better than anywhere we ahve ever been. This is a MUST eat restaurant!Special Features:
- Basso -- Terrific!hounds4usDined on 6/27/2014Our first trip to Basso was fantastic! The service, food, cocktails, bar and ambience were all stellar. We are planning future trips and will be bringing friends. A great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A few pluses and minusesBraseGigantiVIPDined on 6/19/2014First, the abundant pluses. The space is fun and pleasing, like a basement pub. The staff are uniformly friendly, and I was particularly impressed when the bartender recognized me and knew my favorite cocktail, even though I had not been there in months. The flavors of the pizza I ordered were rich and satisfying with a crisp OUTER crust -- which brings me to the first minus. Not sure if it's the dough or the oven temp, but the pizza was impossible to pick up: the center crust was sodden, and the ingredients slid right off every slice. My other complaint is the lack of bar snack: not everyone wants an appetizer off the menu, and if the idea is for patrons to pay for EVERYthing, then offer something appropriate, like roasted pistachios.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BassoMacGDined on 6/14/2014Friendly, attentive staff. Fun decor. Modern Italian fit for foodies. Lots of small plate options to share, or entree sized portions if you prefer. All pastas available in 1/2 order size which is plenty. Don't miss the flash fried broccoli or the pappardelle with lamb Ragusa, orange, star anise, and chocolate. Unique, thoughtful options on the wine list (written by a staff somm). Some varietals I've never heard of. It was a Father's Day dinner and the served comped my dad's wine which was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too much salt!2foodloversDined on 6/2/2014cool ambience; interesting,creative menu; prices were very reasonable; food was good but the majority was way too salty, enough so to keep me from returning. this seems to be a trend in nicer restaurants with skilled chefs and seems totally unnecessary.Special Features:
- Great place!JlstrickDined on 5/31/2014I went there with my mother for a few drinks and apps, and it was great! I'm a bit of a foodie and enjoyed sharing the kale Caesar salad, shaved asparagus, wings, and calamari. Everything had a fun flair to it and I would love to take my boyfriend there for a date in the winter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/29/2014Going back! Great food great wine! It did get louder and louder as the evening went on. And its not often a place with such high end decor would be paired with Violent Femmes, Nine in Nails and Pink Floyd but I liked it a lot. Great date place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodFun2EatOutDined on 5/24/2014This is a fun place and the food is really good. The décor is really up-to-date and it's a good mix of people.Special Features:
- Great night in St LouisDineoutGuy18Dined on 5/23/2014I am from Chicago and was visiting for a wedding. I had read about Basso in ratings and it sounded interesting. Also lived in Italy, cook Italian, have been in the restaurant business for years, so I was looking forward to my experience. The food was great, the server was well versed with the menu, wine and drink list was spot on, loved all the different sides that were available instead of entrees. Menu allows grazing and trying different combinations. The chef is very creative, and his use of flavors and textures with Italian cuisine is great. I wish this restaurant was in Chicago, because I would go there possibly weekly.Special Features:
- foodforthought23Dined on 5/23/2014We had a wonderful Anniversary evening here. Our server was very attentive as was the rest of the staff throughout the remainder of our visit. A shared plate of crispy meatballs, and another of the roasted artichoke ware perfect set ups for the Emo Pizza. Every item was savory and a light dry proscecco topped it all off. This might not sound like most peoples idea of a romantic meal, but for us, any great meal is romantic in it's own way. Basso covered our wine and a delicious brownie with gelato for dessert to help us celebrate the night. Great place, Great staff, Great night!Special Features:
- Great food and service!bbbbDined on 5/22/2014Took four newcomers to Basso, it was delicious, as always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 298 reviews are from the Basso reviews archive.
- Superior Cooking, weird serviceNardVIPDined on 5/17/2014Reserved at Basso, thinking it was the Restaurant upstairs. We were struck by the deafening noise level. We were seated immediately. The menu lists various categories - Vegetables and salads, Antipasti, Pasta and mains. It's a strange alternative universe Tapas concept. The categories are similar to those in Italy, but here they are encouraged to be shared by he table. Except when they're not. If you are going to have share plates, fine, but make it clear and MAKE SURE YOUR TABLES ARE SIZED AND SET TO ACCOMMODATE. The whole meal was marked by servers dropping on top of uncleared or unfinished plates. Menu design doesn't stop at the menu. Tables and tableware must be part of the whole design. The food was beyond excellent.Special Features:
- awesome, awesometastymagazineDined on 5/17/2014There is no mistake, this place is the best in st. louis for new Italian inspired and fun. It goes up there with greats like Taste or Farmhaus.Special Features: