7036 Clayton Ave
Saint Louis, MO 63117Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.basso-stl.com/
- Phone: (314) 932-7820
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 4 pm – 1 am
Full menu available until 10 pm, late night menu available until closing
Friday - Saturday: 4pm - 1 am
Full menu available until 11 pm, late night menu available until closing
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Patrick Connolly
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Basso
Basso is a sleek and exciting basement pub with an Italian accent and a playful attitude. Its creative mix of elements results in an intimate dining experience that is truly a feast for the senses. Chef Patrick Connolly's menu has all of the hallmarks of a traditional gastro pub with wood-fired pizzas, innovative small plates, 32 beers on tap and a host of Italian wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Basso - Best Restaurants in Clayton ›
Basso reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (57)vibrant bar scene (54)neighborhood gem (35)good for groups (33)hot spot (32)special occasion (25)romantic (23)late-night find (19)notable wine list (17)great for outdoor dining (7)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Excellent foodReggieDined on 11/24/2014This is a Mediterranean/Italian restaurant. The food is excellent. Basso means basement, so don't go for the vistas but for an extensive beer on tap and in bottles and the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant food and a great buzzing atmosphere.FreddieDined on 11/22/2014You wont be disappointed if you choose to go thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service but too crowdedSTLDINERDined on 11/21/2014Good vibe and food, but too crowded to be seated at the 2-top tables. People standing near the bar were practically leaning on our table, which is not good for a place where we had reservations. Come here to drink or watch the game. Don't come here for a date and expect to hear one another.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST Server in the WORLD!!DebinSTLVIPDined on 11/20/2014We went to Basso after attending an event at the Art Museum. It was very cool walking down the steps into this super cool space. It is a very loud space so don't plan on having any intimate conversations. BUT the best part of our experience at Basso was our server, Mark West. He provided great service, great conversation and he made our meal so pleasant and memorable. We are still talking about what a funny, interesting guy he was. We would go back just to request to be served by him. The menu is very creative and delicious and will not disappoint. Go to Basso and ask for Mark!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good way to spend Friday eveningSpecialNightOutDined on 11/7/2014On relatively short notice, we decided to go out with friends for dinner rather stay home and watch TV. We chose Basso because of our friends' recommendation and had an enjoyable night. We shared four dishes: three of them were outstanding (margherita pizza, calimari, and roasted cauliflower); the fourth (a meat laden pizza) was a little too spicy for our taste, but our friends thought it was really good. Our waiter was outstanding and spent a lot of time with us describing the food and also had a very good sense of humor. The biggest downside was the noise level; it wasn't terrible, but it was noisy. But then again, not a big surprise since the place was packed.Special Features:
- Great first-night-in-town meal!A1sunflwrDined on 11/6/2014Brought my 14 yo daughter here. Stayed at The Cheshire, so it was convenient for us to walk. Was a little noisy, but we had a great meal & great service. The truffle fries were amazing!! The hero pizza was spicy & delicious. I prefer wine, but their beer selection was extensive. Already recommended to friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exciting Eating Down UnderSmoke2SmokeDined on 11/6/2014Basso is down a set stairs and smells so GREAT when you enter…Like a great Family party. Food ROCKS, meaning everything on the menuSpecial Features:
- Bad drink.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/6/2014Very loud. Difficult to have conversation. Food was good and service was acceptable. Only bad thing was drinks. I was charged for a premium liquor that I didn't order and the drink was terribly watery. Worst I ever had. And it was in a tiny glass instead of drink glass. Glass filled with ice to disguise nearly no liquor. Stick with their overpriced wine.Special Features:
- Exciting placeEagleriverVIPDined on 11/5/2014Food was great, but the smoke smell was overwhelming and made a shower necessary afterwards. A fun place.Special Features:
- Lovely dinner!dreday23Dined on 10/23/2014Another enjoyable evening at Basso. Love the butternut squash pizza and the burrata app is a must! Our server Mark was perfect. We'll be back soon for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be betterLCO1Dined on 10/20/2014We were hoping for some delicious Italian comfort food but found this to be not to our taste. The atmosphere is kind of cool in the basement with gas lamps but the menu could be better. Perhaps other people will enjoy it more but for the money, we would go elsewhere.Special Features:
- Loved this place!LuckyfindDined on 10/18/2014We found this restaurant through Urban Spoon. We were visiting from out of town and needed something near Forest Park. This was an unexpected delight in every way! Food was delicious with a wonderful mixture of flavors. Nothing typical about it, but not so weird that you were frightened by it. Loved the atmosphere - hip without trying too hard to be so.will definitely recommend to friends visiting St Louis!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot spot worthy of repeat visitbbacksoon4moreDined on 10/13/2014Basso's is the perfect place for dinner for four. Their booths are comfortable just right for food sharing papas style meals. Ambiance is great with plenty of screens for sports fans. But this is not a sports bar. The screens are subtle enough to ignore. Service is excellent. Drink menus are robust. Food menus are interesting with enough variety to please everyone. Go, at least once just to say you've been there.Special Features:
- Made a memorable girl's night!Becksmu03Dined on 10/11/2014Inviting atmosphere, helpful wait staff, and food and wine did t disappoint. Portions were the right size that my group of four were able to share easily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great pizzaKYBKDined on 10/9/2014good food, but loud ambience. lots of tv screens so good for watching gamesSpecial Features:
- Excellent food without the attitudeNoTimeForNonsenseDined on 10/4/2014We'll definitely go back! I'm dreaming of the Brussel Sprouts with candied walnuts and Twice-baked Delicata Squash. Creative, playful yet grounded in reality, fantastic cocktails and wine list - all with Cardinal baseball on TV over the bar - perfect ingredients for a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- But the specials are specialBraseGigantiVIPDined on 10/2/2014Basso is a comfort go-to for me, but to be frank, the menu needs an upgrade. The same nice items that were there on opening day are still avaiable (mostly - more on that). That said, I was delighted by the off-menu fried cod appetizer, which speaks to a chef wanting to do more. (The on-menu pizza was limp and tired.) My other gripe is the lack of bar snacks / appetizers. As I had my cocktail at the bar, I asked about snacks. None free. As for paid, I was pointed to items like brussels sprouts. Really? And the nice cheese and charcuterie boards that were on the orginal Basso menu are gone, maybe a victim of their decision to become a sports bar. Too bad.Special Features:
- Great Feel and Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Been here twice now. Great drinks and wine list with awesome food. The Wood Iven pizzas here are the best I have ever had anywhere......And I travel a lot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five star diningLibertyDined on 9/27/2014Everything was perfect from the moment we walked through the door. The steak melted in our mouths and the service was top notch. I highly recommend Basso to anyone celebrating a special occasion or just wanting a fabulous cut of beef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentbellyDined on 9/26/2014This place is exceptional. Chef Patrick Connolly knows what he is doing. For being a"gastropub," I was impressed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trip to BassogreatwineDined on 9/22/2014Everything was perfect. The food was wonderful.. I had Red trout that was so very delicious. We also had the Olives as a starter and my husband had the steak. The meal could not be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014We had a great first time experience at Basso. The food was great. My only complaint are the multiple giant televisions. Even though I couldn't hear the sound, they were very distracting.Special Features:
- Good food in casual fun atmosphereAllisonstlVIPDined on 9/11/2014Upscale bar food- hamburger was not to be missed. Great appetizers (meatballs, artichoke) and a fun (loud) atmosphere. Great staff made the night a success (thanks, Mark!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and serviceAJ104Dined on 9/5/2014The food was great, service was wonderful but I couldn't hear the person talk next to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, great new eats, but noisySTLFoodieDined on 8/23/2014Great place to grab an eccentric bite to eat! I really enjoyed the set up of the restaurant. Service was great, but I couldn't hear her well because it is so noisy inside! A couple of pallets of cloth would help to alleviate this. I really enjoyed the mix of flavors on The Donald Pizza, but the whole wheat linguine is so overpowered with spice that it takes away from the flavors of shrimp and other ingredients. Great place for foodies and those who want to try something new! We will definitely be back to try their happy hour!Special Features:
- Expensive and garlicky!!!MickeymouseDined on 8/23/2014Very expensive. My pizza was so garlicy I had an aftertaste for 2 days. Limited menu. No bread service. Noisy.
- Fun atmosphere in a classic spaceLoveSTLDiningVIPDined on 8/22/2014For those who remember the old Cheshire, this is a wonderful, modern update. Terrazzo floors intact ... everything else updated. Eclectic menu that changes seasonally. Decent beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegetable-Pasta-PizzatakemeoutDined on 8/21/2014The 3-4 $'s shouldn't deter anyone. Most dishes here can be shared by two people, order a few. Our server guided us to the roasted cauliflower as an all-time favorite. Good choice, great textures and complex tastes - $6. I also wanted to try the pasta, so we ordered the small Mafalda (beef & pork ragu). Wonderful and good dipping for the pizza crusts - $10. For pizza, we chose the Emo Cover Band (sausage, cippolini, pancetta, mushroom, poblano, & provel). So much flavor! This is possibly the best pizza I've ever eaten. $17 You won't want to leave anything left on any of the dishes. Total - $33Special Features:
- Pizzas are the "real deal"STLvisitorsDined on 8/16/2014Loved the large group tables - this is where I want to book my next group event! Extensive beer list. Pizza crust was perfect.Special Features:
- Phenomenal Cocktails!UrbanLegendDined on 8/14/2014Best cocktails in St. Louis, hands down. Lively, but never too crowded. Great service, awesome atmosphere... Really can't say enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the decorkmlpageVIPDined on 8/12/2014Such a quaint place! Good food, great service and LOVE the Inspector Clouseau beverage!Special Features:
- One of the besttastymagazineDined on 8/9/2014There are two places in STL that have restaurant quality similar to Las Vegas and Basso is one of them. The service is excellent. The food is always new and amazing. The chefs behind the counter are all knowledgeable. The drinks are top shelf and everything is just awesome. The manager runs a tight ship and Chef Patrick just has this air or responsibility that take over the cook's line and just makes everything run so smooth. The menu changes so you can't say any one thing is awesome and then someone goes there and it is isn't offered. What I can tell you, is that after going there maybe 10 or more times in the past 2 years, there has been nothing, I haven't liked.Special Features:
- Great Date Night!SarahDined on 8/9/2014We had a great meal at Basso. Our server was fantastic. I wish I could remember her name, but she made the night great. She suggested popular food items as well as beers on the large beer list. She was very knowledgeable. The food was great. The only item I didn't like were the chicken wings, and that's because they were very spicy. My favorite items were the meatballs and the roasted artichoke. My only small complaint was when I made the reservation I asked to be sat in a booth, and specifically said we did not want to sit at a high top, and we were in fact sat at a high top. Not a huge deal, but worth mentioning.Special Features:
- Awesome service and foodJackieDined on 8/9/2014Service was exceptional! Also - we had a lot of picky eaters with us and everyone found something they really enjoyed! We've been to Basso about 3 times prior to Saturday and will be back!Special Features:
- Great dinner before moviejavamama3VIPDined on 8/6/2014Four of us had about an hour and 15 minutes before walking to the Hi Pointe. Waiter was helpful and got our food to us on time, advising us when to order a pizza so it would come out in time. We had the smoked trout with fried capers on shaved squash - delicious! Caprese was local heirloom tomatoes with delicate burrata. Corn on the cob had a nod to Mexican street corn, but wasn't my favorite, but my husband really liked it. Fonduta was an easy pleaser & the hero pizza didn't disappoint. Happy Hour red wine was quality, cocktails were creative & prices pretty outstanding for what we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost GreatAlanDined on 8/4/2014We had a great time and enjoyed the food and atmosphere. When we went to pay the bill we were informed the Muny transport was not running that night. That was the whole point of using the venue that evening. Very aggravating as that was outlined when we made the reservation, I followed up with a call and confirmed, stated out intent when we were seated and were even given a pass number. We still enjoyed ourselves but Basso did through a wrench in what was going to be a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Little MenuEagle1984Dined on 8/1/2014Nice selection of dishes--not too many and most fairly original takes on normal fare. Good happy hour prices of drink AND food. Reservation a must on weekends.Special Features:
- The following 321 reviews are from the Basso reviews archive.
- Italian Gastro?OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/28/2014The menu is a little strange. They dont offer any menu items you would typically find in a gasto-pub, however they have a community table so I guess they think that makes them gastro. Food is typical Italian menu, pizza was really good. Pastas are hit and miss.
- Sat niteSuzieDined on 7/19/2014Service and food was very good. Only complaint is need a couple more small plate veggie choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointingFun2EatOutDined on 7/19/2014Each time we go the food is amazing. Wish they would have kept the mushroom gnocchi on the menu BUT the crispy meatballs and roasted cauliflower are still available.Special Features: