Bass Lake Taverne
426 South Street
(State Route 44)
Chardon, OH 44024Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Bass Lake Taverne
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.basslaketaverne.com/
- Phone: (440) 285-3100
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:30am - 9:00pm Friday 11:30am - 10:00pm Sunday 11:00am-8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chris Johnson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Menus created on an individual basis. Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Bass Lake Taverne offers 2 semi-private 2nd floor areas seating up to 50 guests each. The private Clubhouse is also available seating up to 50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Michelle Niehus 4402853100
A word from Bass Lake Taverne
Located in the country atmosphere of Chardon. Casually sophisticated dining amid fireplaces or on a charming courtyard. The menu features steaks, chops, seafood, a number of "little plates" along with homemade soups & desserts. Consider a complete stay with the 12 room Bass Lake Inn adjacent to the restaurant. Bass Lake also offers private & semi-private dining rooms to host your business functions, rehearsal dinners or special events. For Courtyard reservations, please contact our staff directly, as online reservations will not be honored outdoors.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Bass Lake Taverne - Best Restaurants in Chardon ›
Bass Lake Taverne reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (28)neighborhood gem (23)special occasion (19)fit for foodies (13)good for groups (13)great for lunch (13)romantic (12)scenic view (10)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (4)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Decent but datedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014The decor was rustic but dated in the main dining area the bar was newer. The food was OK. Even though the menu had some attempts at unique food overall the food was rather geared toward our grandparents. Way too big of a portion on the garlic mashed potatoes the sides were somewhat boring and everything seemed geared toward pickling too. Definitely not worth the high prices.Special Features:
- traditionhappyat70VIPDined on 11/2/2014We have been taking our granddaughter to celebrate birthdays at a restaurant of her choice and she has chosen Bass Lake as her "fancy" place to go, tradition for at least 4 years now. The quiche was the best we've ever had!Special Features:
- helenztVIPDined on 10/27/2014Cozy, laid back atmosphere; friendly service and good food! Lots of rustic touches (stone, wood, fireplace), good variety on menu, wine list on the expensive side.Special Features:
- Amazing; Will ReturnDylanGDined on 10/25/2014This place is a gem. It is one of the finest places around. Great food, grew service, great ambiance. 11/10Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy brunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/12/2014Brunch was good fairly quick, decently priced. Great spicy bloodymary! Best of all was sitting next to the cozy fireplace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful Dining ExperienceJoeZDined on 10/4/2014We really enjoyed the food, ambience, and great service at Bass Lake Taverne. Creative menu options for appetizers and entrees abound, and the quality of the dining experience met all of expectations marvelously.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming choice!OliviaVIPDined on 9/28/2014When the weather is nice and you want an outdoor brunch/lunch, this is a great choice. The food is usually well prepared and tasty, the service is friendly and efficient, and the setting is charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st time dining hereMrsBeagle1Dined on 9/19/2014It was a very nice restaurant with a rustic feel to it. The little plates entrees is the perfect portions of food. Enough to fill you without having to take home. AKA a NORMAL size portion of food. It is a little pricey but the taste of the food really delivers. The staff is nice but for the price of the restaurant and the feel, I am surprised they don't have a 'uniform' serving outfit which kind of detracts from the ambiance of the place or have the wait staff do their hair up so it doesn't get in the food. (we did have this as an issue) Overall, it felt a little cramped and crowded feel with so many tables but the overall ambiance was nice. Noise was moderate so you could still hold a conversation.Special Features:
- A Lonnie followerNancy55VIPDined on 9/6/2014I had dinner at Gamekeepers last week With the first bite I knew it wasn't Lonnie's food. So I ask a lot of questions and they finely told me was at Bass Lake. You are in for a treat when Lonnie is cooking. Bass lake needs some of his signature dishes but it was very very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday lunchViciousDined on 8/29/2014I took my wife here for a birthday lunch. The food and service was great and the desserts were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor dining….IFOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/14/2014One of best summer outdoor dining patios in area. Unfortunately weather was really cold so could not enjoy a fresh air lunch. Food is always good. Service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food, Beautiful Ambiance!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014ALL of the menu items were delicious from brunch veggie omelet to stuffed french toast, lunch's mediterranean and field greens salad along with the cream of portobello soup and especially dinner's eggplant parmesan and the bistro sirloin with red pepper mashers and mushroom sauce! The grilled vegetable bruschetta was a showstopper and the pickled onions on the caprese salad an accompaniment to be copy-catted for sure! The patio seating was breezy and fun as well as romantically lit with Edison type lighting, just charming...the indoor dining room felt very woodsy and 'lodgy' and was quiet and quaint when we dined. Great food and truly accommodating staff! :)Special Features:
- Patio gemDavideVIPDined on 8/8/2014One of the best patios in the area. Food is excellent and great staff serves it up. We had dinner on a perfect summer evening. Have eaten here many times and food is always excellent at both dinner and Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good date night spotLindaDined on 8/2/2014Very good food and service. Couldn't eat outside because of the weather but will be glad to make a trip back to sit on the beautiful patio. Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 353 reviews are from the Bass Lake Taverne reviews archive.
- GoodeatnDined on 7/26/2014Wonderful food the service is good ... We were able to comfortably communicateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every summer!EllieDined on 7/25/2014We look forward to good weather, good times and good food on the Bass Lake Tavern patio.Special Features:
- Hidden GemWillisDined on 7/19/2014My fiance and I were looking for a one night getaway at a local bed and breakfast, after many days of online research we stumbled upon the Bass Lake Taverne and Inn. We booked an evening at one of the rooms at the Inn and planned on dinner that night. The room was perfect for a couple. Very clean, nice size room, and comfy king size bed. The room we stayed in (#9) had a nice patio with a view of the lake and had a peaceful vibe. The dinner was amazing, every bite was great. I had the lobster quesadilla and crab cake BLT, the fiance had the pork tenderloin. From drinks, to dinner, to accomodations, this place was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BLT JulyMiamiQVIPDined on 7/16/2014Took in-laws to dinner and BLT did not disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice menu and good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2014Although there were many open tables we were seated right next to a group that was a bit loud and took us a bit longer than usual to be served. My foodie friend was impressed with the menu and the food was beautifully presented and tasteful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Outdoor PatiojanetgVIPDined on 6/21/2014We had a delicious dinner on their wonderful outdoor patio. Absolutely awesome. The only minor inconvenience is that you have to leave the patio area and go through the front door and bar area to get to the restrooms. Next time I will be more aware of this and it won't be an issue.Special Features:
- should have been fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/16/2014It was a perfect night in a beautiful setting with 6 close friends celebrating a milestone birthday. There even happened to be some nicely priced Monday night specials. Wine was lovely. HOWEVER, after 45 min. salads were brought out (waitress had forgotten about appetizers.......when reminded she whisked away salads and brought one appetizer......told us others wouldn't be coming for 7-10 minutes) Just absurd, after an hour, to not have them served at the same time. Main courses were flavorful but lukewarm........quite sure they were sitting out while appetizers were being prepared. Very disappointing for a long-time establishment!Special Features:
- No manager in sight.NonameDined on 6/15/2014My husband's steak was over cooked so he had to wait while the rest of us diners ate, and although our waitress was very apologetic the manager never came out. What was much worse was my son's dessert had a sharp, jagged one inch piece of plastic or glass in it. He had this in his mouth and thank goodness did not swallow it! Again the waitress was great, she felt horrible, told the manager and he took desserts off the bill but never came out to the table to check on us or apologize! The waitress said he may come out but he never did. I can understand these things happen but can not excuse a manager for not caring about his customers and not supporting his or her staff in such an uncomfortable situation.
- A-kab514Dined on 6/15/2014Seated quickly. Server not familiar with the menu. Great food. Great atmosphere. Pleasant staff. Would dine again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BLT JuneMiamiQVIPDined on 6/14/2014Good food, as always, and drinks! Small plates no longer as good a value as in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grad PartyjackDined on 6/1/2014took a party of 7, all of whom enjoyed their meals. Pot Roast ravioli was phenomenal.Special Features:
- bass lakewearepennstateDined on 5/24/2014I was expecting more from a well established restaurant. Just so so.Special Features:
- dinner with the bossjag02Dined on 5/17/2014We brought our boss to dinner, he loved the ambiance and loved the little plates because his appetite isn't what it used to be and he appreciated the good food he received! We had a great time and will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise Birthday DinnerShaneDined on 5/17/2014The evening was very nice and had a lot of menu options that were great. The service was perfect and the beauty of the room was perfect for our surprise birthday dinner. The room did get a bit loud with so many people in the restaurant. It is a place we will go back to again and again.Special Features:
- A bit overpricedAliceDined on 5/11/2014For our Mother's Day dinner, I was taken aback at the special menu and the pricing levels. It was expenses, with salads additional. $30 for a small portion of beef tenderloin and potatoes. The vegetables were the largest portion on the plate. $4 for a bowl of lettuce, shaved parmesan and three croutons seemed high. I have enjoyed Bass Lake lunches, and will return to those tasty, more moderately priced selections. But for special occasions, we will go elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No more holidayssincewhenDined on 5/11/20143rd time was NOT the charm. Once again, despite begging on 3 separate occasions, they made our 89-year-old mother go upstairs. This time they had her take the elevator, which is in the kitchen and a very messy, completely unappetizing bus station, to get to her seat. Food was good, it typically is, but we are done on holidays.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2014My husband and I went to dinner at Bass Lake Tavern and had a great meal! The atmosphere is wonderful and dinner portions are generous! It was too soon in the year to eat outside but we will deffinetely go back in the summer because the outside patio is so festive looking! Love the fireplace too!Special Features:
- Absolutely amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2014Our favorite was amazing! Cannot express that enough! We had the chicken and pasta with goat cheese, the bistro sirloin with lobster potatoes, two salads with the house dressing and martinis. Everything was delicious and cooked perfectly. I love about 2 hours away in Pittsburgh but I cannot wait to go back.Special Features:
- lovely nightsereneDined on 3/22/2014We ate at Bass Lake as part of an overnight stay package. Couldn't have asked for anything better. Everyone was friendly from the time we walked in. Our server Shauna was the best. She wanted our meal experience to be the best. Very personable but professional. Food was excellent and a generous portion. Was one of the nicest getaways. Would definitely recommend and wouldn't hesitate to stay again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fish fryBarbDined on 3/14/2014We went with friends for the fish fry on Friday. While a bit pricey the fish was great. We went about 5 pm as Fridays during lent are always crowded later. Around 6ish it became a bit noisy and getting crowded. Did not get to see the upstairs as our guest had a walker and no way to get upstairs. I did hear it was quieter up there. Very enjoyable evening and would go back for a special test.Special Features:
- Date NightJasonDined on 3/1/2014My wife and I were staying over night at the Taverne's sister Inn and had reservations after our afternoon excursion. The wait staff was pleasant and the ambiance was rustic. The seats were a little more than half full but the noise was at a level were one could still be easily heard from across the table. The food was served warm and cooked exaclty as ordered. It may be slightly over-priced but you will receive what you want in a timely manner while sipping a glass of wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fine evening!regularguyDined on 2/15/2014This was our second time at Bass Lake Taverne. we were warmly greeted and immediately seated. Service was prompt, pleasant and professional. The atmosphere was warm and comfortable. The food was exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014The waitress was very attentive and pleasant. Otherwise, the food was average, at best, and the same could be said for the ambience. The menus was overpriced and the portions were rather small. To sum it up, this establishment is nothing special.
- dinnerMicroBrewDined on 2/15/2014My wife and I were looking for someplace nice for dinner and, thanks to OpenTable, we booked a last-minute spot right in our own neighborhood at the Bass Lake Taverne. Nice selections on the menu and Fat Tire on tap. Our waitress was very helpful with the menu and the specials and promptly brought us our drinks and our food. The food was very good. The booth was a little breezy from sitting next to a window, but in BLT's defense the temps were in the single digits outside that night. The fireplace in the main dinning room adds a nice touch. BLT will mostly likely become a regular stop for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, could have been greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Made a late reservation for Valentines, was seated promptly. The only issue with the food was the seasoning, or lack there of. I ordered the Strip, my date ordered the Salmon. Both cooked to perfection, however, very bland. I am almost positive my steak was not seasoned at all. A little salt and pepper could have turned this into a great dining experience. Our server was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicemattjubDined on 2/14/2014Eat upstairs for a nicer experience. Downstairs seems like a tavern. Upstairs is quiet, romantic and very nice. Food was good but kind of luke warm, like it sat for a bit.I would recommend this to a friend.