42 Columbus Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
BasquePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.basksf.com/
- Phone: 4153922275
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:00am-3:00pm
Dinner: M-W 4:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Th-Sa 4:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Basque, French
- Executive Chef: Suzanne Cot
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: November 17th: Singer Carol PETERSON
November 24th: Spanish flavor finger style guitar with John CLARKE
December 1st: Spanish flavor finger style guitar with John CLARKE
December 9th: BASK in Flamenco special event $15 at the door, cash only
December 15th: Spanish flavor finger style guitar with John CLARKE
A word from Bask
Bask restaurant welcomes from Monday to Saturday, lunch (Monday through Friday) and dinner (Monday through Saturday). We specialize in dishes passed down from authentic chefs of the Basque country and feature a happy hour of daily prepared pinxtos spread across our bar. The drink menu offers carefully chosen wines from France and Spain, small production domestic selections, along with house made red and white sangria. We invite you to come pair your choice of wine or sangria with any of our specialties - Squid cooked in it"s own ink, Roasted Lamb Shanks, Paella Royale, Grilled Cod Filet, or the Basque Burger - among many others. But, save room for dessert; the Euskal Pastela (Basque Cake) is not to be missed.Continued
We also offer a large selection of gluten free dishes.
We also offer a large selection of gluten free dishes.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bask reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (22)neighborhood gem (17)good for groups (14)great for lunch (10)romantic (6)special occasion (5)notable wine list (5)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- A wonderful addition to the hoodMadeleinetpVIPDined on 10/11/2014Bask is a very nice addition to the Financial District. The food is delicious as are the beverages and moreover the price is right. The Bask couple that runs the restaurant are very friendly, speak French and we all decided we would make this restaurant a favorite.Special Features:
- Pricey entrees with no flavorHonestopineDined on 9/27/2014Disappointed. The best was the goat cheese tapas - and it went downhill from there- Lamb - described by my husband was probably the worst meal he's had in years. Paella - was too greasy ( bottom of pan was a layer of oil)and Vegetarian tian- no flavor just baked veggies with herbs thrown in
- Pleasant SurprisegoodineDined on 9/20/2014Firstly, the architect transformed a ho hum Clown Alley space into a charming little Basque bistro. The food was delightful and even though I'm not fond of lamb I ordered the lamb shank and thoroughly enjoyed it. The peppers stuffed with potatoes and cod were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFoodnwineloverDined on 8/22/2014The owner showed up shortly after we got there to take the order and he is a pleasant person. Food took a while to arrive. We ordered 3 tapas dishes (there were 2 of us) and as it works with tapas, we told the owner that we will start with these items and get more plates later. The food was very plain and blend. The wine was not bad. They only had a small card of a handful glasses of wine. After that, nobody came to check on us. We kept looking at the one waiter and the owner to get their attention so we could order more food. Since we could not get their attention for about 1.5 hours, we decided to order more wine. We got the wine and the tab was placed on our table after that! Bad service & dull food. Never going back
- Great food, great serviceRobSDined on 8/8/2014First and foremost our waiter, Cesar, was awesome. Second, a great date night or night out with friends. The dinner special is great for sharing. Order a few more tapas beyond the special and share the main and dessert and you're set. Great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas: 3 out of 5 were losersTootsDined on 7/25/2014The first two tapas we ordered were winners (white beans & meatballs). The crab and cod croquettes were horrible as was the lemon tart. I suspect they were relying on an outside vendor for frozen goods. We were excited by the restaurant concept but sadly will not return. Fortunately, SF has great alternative for tapas.
- A Wonderful Basque EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014Had a wonderful evening at dinner with my brother and his family (they were visiting form NY). Attentive wait staff. We started with beef & lamb meatballs, crab croquette, cod cakes, and white bean tapas dishes for our appetizer. They were great. Even better were our entres - grilled king salmon, grilled angus ribeye marrow bone, and black seafood paella. My niece and I had perfectly cooked salmon - the accompanying vegetables and wild rice were delicious. My sister-in-law and nephew both had the angus ribeye and were delighted with it. My brother thoroughly enjoyed his black seafood paella. Bask is a great neighborhood gem. Check it out. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/8/2014Really underwhelmed. It's billed as a Basque/Spanish tapas bar, but very few of the tapas seemed to have anything to do with that region. It was also fairly salty.
- CathyDined on 7/7/2014We have eaten here several times. Every time it has been wonderful. The service is great too. The tapas are my favorite we have almost tried them all. The lamb shank and paella are outstanding.Special Features:
- Food was horribleCharlieVIPDined on 6/27/2014Not much to say. Food was horrible and overpriced. Will never go again.
- The following 184 reviews are from the Bask reviews archive.
- Hits and misses at BaskMenumavVIPDined on 6/19/2014Bask is a lively tapas restaurant which tries hard but doesn't always deliver. Service was friendly but erratic. We had too many different servers and twice were brought things we did not order. In general the tapas were good--stand outs were the cod & cheese stuffed peppers and the meatballs. The tortilla was only so-so. The paella was fine. Portions are very big. For dessert we had the flan and the gateau basque. The flan was fine (not a rave) but the cake was terrible. The crust was like cardboard and the almond filling overly sweet with no cherries. The waiter had highly recommended this dessert so it was a big disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobbVIPDined on 6/17/2014It was not a good restraurant The food was marginal.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/13/2014A fun find in San Francisco as we looked for Gluten Free dining options. Felt like we were back in Spain with the Tapas. Enjoyed the goat cheese with honey, and artichoke heart but found the beef tongue somewhat lackluster. The Paella and Halibut were very nice. The creme brulee was overdone with the sugar topping burned. Affordable with a nice wine list,will return to try more on the menu.
- Potentially great, but inconsistentZayEats415Dined on 6/12/20144 of us visited Bask for Dine About Town and we had mixed feelings overall. Our server was informative and attentive. Our food arrived in a timely manner, but dishes were under salted, underwhelming, or even inedible. Veal sweetbreads - great flavor, but should not have chopped them up and left them intact to preserve their delicate texture. Jamon Platter - decent flavor, tough texture. Not spectacular for the price. Paella - probably our favorite dish of the night, but a little greasy. Veal Shank - good idea, but under salted. Ribeye Steak - small portion for the price. Almond Cake - better used as a frisbee. Flan - spongy, unpleasant texture. Churros - best dessert. Too inconsistent to visit again, sorry.
- Good not greatnurealamDined on 6/9/2014We had both of the paella main courses & about 5 or 6 tapas (party of 3). Tapas: anchovies, excellent; pimientos del padron, tongue, goat surprise, ok; ham croquettes, dull. Black seafood paella, ok; paella royale, dull. Wine by the glass choices limited but quite acceptable. We're locals & have tried anything even remotely Spanish or Basque in the Bay Area. Thus we would not return here because it simply isn't interesting enough & there are better options. However waitfolks were terrifically pleasant and rushing about to do whatever at all moments plus fortunately for us (not for Bask) on a weekday night the place was way less than half-full so the noise level was fine. I do think Bask probably needs valet parking to attract some folks.
- Amazing food, great servicefitfoodie79Dined on 6/9/2014I went to Bask for lunch with a friend and I was very impressed with everything! We sat outside as it was a glorious day and the food and wine was perfect! I recommend that you start with the Squid in Squid Ink tapa, so good! We both ordered a salad and they were the flavorful salads. I drank a delicious white wine from the Basque region (it is a Basque restaurant after all!), while my friend drank a red from the same area. A note on the service: it was exceptional! Granted, we were there in the afternoon and it wasn't particularly busy, but the waiter and the owner who served us were most attentive. They were always around at the right times and timed our courses just right. In all, I will return very soon and recommend it highly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sangria - a must try!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2014I can't wait to come back and try their happy hour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dining at BaskBask101Dined on 6/7/2014Had a good dining experiance. Serivce was great the waitress was REALLY friendly but towards the end no where to be found. BUT I really really really LOVED their white sangria!!!! it was SO delicious!!!! We should of just order a pitcher!!! Some of the food was a let down. The octopus tapas sounded great but the octopus had no taste what-so-ever. A little salt would of been great instead of burned onions and bell pepper's. The seafood Paella wasn't what expected, rice didn't have that burned bottom that i wanted so bad! It also seemed like it was rushed. Dessert was great I always wanted to try churro's with the hot THICK chocolate dip!! It was to die for!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent PaellaOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/30/2014My friend and I split the Paella Royale, which was large enough for two and delicious. Perhaps the best paella I've had in SF. Large party in the bar area was noisy, and the hostess came to our table and apologized for the noise. Restaurant was much quieter after the left. Good restaurant for a date.
- First time at BaskRickDined on 5/8/2014This was our first time to Bask and we didn't know of anyone who had previously dined here. We had a Fantastic experience, the Tapas, service, quality and proportions of food were very very good. The calamari, the fritata, and the cold cut plates were above average. We would definitely recommend this restaurant as we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice tapas placeJulesNCDined on 4/29/2014I was in town on business and this was close to my hotel. Read it had good reviews so gave it a try. Straightforward tapas selection and good wine choices. Friendly staff definitely give it a try.Special Features:
- YummyEats4meDined on 4/24/2014Bask was fabulous. Great small plates that had enough food for 4people to share each one. Loved the meatballs and warm cheese with pistachios and carmelized onions. Great service too by Cesar our waiter. I'll definitely return.Special Features:
- Last minute decisionOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/4/2014A friend and I could not get into a restaurant of choice so we used Open Table to find an alternate place within walking distance. We were excited to try Bask as we are fans of tapas menus. Unfortunately the vegetarian options were almost non-existent and what was available was not good. A tortilla with eggs that was breaded and fried....no bueno. Potato wedges with some supposedly spicy sauce....no bueno. The one saving grace was a burger for me that was decent. We will not be back but hope our experience was no representative of the food available from this neighborhood spot.
- Good tapasWestOaklandTechyFoodieDined on 3/27/2014I like the food here quite a bit, and the service is generally friendly. Still, something feels missing from this place. Maybe the energy in that it has been slow most times that I have been in. That said, this is a great place for friends to enjoy food and a drink on the way out for the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulMeliDined on 3/27/2014We went to Bask for lunch with a group of ten people and had a wonderful time. The staff was very friendly and everything we ate was very delicious. Must try the sangria, avocado surprise salad, roasted mushrooms and the camembert. I just wish they had the paellas on the lunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas TuesdaykimberDined on 3/18/2014One of the things I love about Tapas is that they are cheap so you can try lots of different plates - while the menu is a little expensive, their Tapas Tuesday special allows you to try a select set of tapas for $6 each. All were really yummy, especially the Filo Cheese! Many wines from Spain and California, also allow you to bring your own bottle for a $15 corkage fee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit hit and missmosseeVIPDined on 3/15/2014The food was variable in quality and flavours. Some dishes - charcuterie plate for example - were very good with solid spanish flavours but others - as in spanish tortilla - were rather bland. The location was convenient as we were staying close by. Service was thin and patchy as the restaurant was busy with walk-ins and impacted by the build up to St. Paddy's Day. Given the wealth of wonderful spanish wine we rather disappointed by the mediocre wine list although the pricing system - mostly the same price - was simple.
- Very FunOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/8/2014we had tons of fun! we had a large group and Bask was wonderful in accommodating us and our last minute changes. we went on a rare warm night in san francisco, so with the doors open, it was wonderful. food is yummy, service is with a smile and we never had a water or drink glass empty! that kept us nice and happy :) cute place - go visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real Basque TreatFrancesKVIPDined on 3/7/2014If you don't know Bask, you don't know Basque. Advertised as authentic Basque food in the reviews, brought a friend who grew up in the Basque region of Spain/France to confirm. A definite YES. He was thrilled to see dishes he grew up with, including the blood sausage and the baby eel (angulas). Food -- at least the ones we selected -- made for wonderful comfort food. Although we selected the 3 course prix fixe meal for $39 (one tapas, one entree, one dessert), let me tell you, just tapas alone was filling (we selected beyond our set meals). I had selected the black seafood paella for my entree and that was way too much after all the tapas. Fun, warm place. Great alternative to the old burger place that used to be here. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful experience!GabyDined on 3/1/2014I can't get enough of this little gem. I brought friends from Sacramento to try the food and they loved eveything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fulia is amazing. The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/28/2014Fulia is amazing. The food delicious. Thank you for everything!
- The food was okCristinaDined on 2/27/2014We ordered the crab croquettes, paella, artichoke bottoms, patatas bravas and the goat surprise. crab - excellent! paella - I was not aware there was squid ink in it, and on top of making the paella taste very pungent, the whole dish was black! and not really appetizing to look at artichoke bottoms - there was so much stuff going on that the taste of the artichoke itself was lost. for something as delicate as artichokes, there's NO NEED to cover it with cheese. patatas bravas - excellent!!!! goat surprise - was good! I wanna go back there and order other types tapas, as I'm sure there's a lot of tasty food in their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great good and gluten freeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/27/2014Outstanding variety and I loved our meal. A bonus for us is most of the menu is gluten free. We are now regularsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bask was typically Basque fabulousFernandoDined on 2/22/2014The tapas dishes were unique and I can always tell a real Basque restaurant from a wanna be, by seeing if the traditional tapas items are on the menu , e.g. angulas, calamares en su tinta and croquettas. Bask had all of these and many others that I dearly remember. The staff were very attentive but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was greatZivaDined on 2/17/2014We brought visitors from Europe and they enjoyed the comfortable environment without too much fuss. The service was very attentive and accommodated kid requests for changes to the burger. The tapas are wonderful with good variety. A very enjoyable experience and we will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Basque Cuisine in San FranciscoLupeMamaVIPDined on 2/15/2014This is the one and only real Basque restaurant in San Francisco. The food was pretty authentic and the service was super friendly. We were an hour late to our reservation due to horrific traffic in the city and they found us a table for four anyhow.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOMEulamDined on 2/14/2014i made a reservation for valentine's I was late but the give a table right away, great! the food was incredible good!, and the price was pretty good, the service was fast, and the sangria great!Special Features:
- Fantastic place!GabyDined on 2/14/2014This is a fantastic place! This is our second time at this little gem and both server and chef remembered us from our last visit in 2013. They even remembered our table and orders, which is pretty impressive. We ordered different tapas, all super delicious, but the mussels were the highlight. That broth is just to die for... dunk some of the gluten free bread on it and you will remember it forever! My mouth just watered thinking about this. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Gluten Free DinnerJimEVIPDined on 2/11/2014Most of the Bask menu is gluten free. My wife is celiac, so we have to be very careful where we eat. The food was great. The service was attentive and friendly. And, the next morning my wife felt fine!!! So, we now have a new place in the FiDi where we can have a nice gluten-free dinner and then walk over to see a movie at the Embarcadero. Thanks Bask for providing an enjoyable place for Celiacs to have a delicious dinner. Oh, and the sangria is delicious!Special Features:
- wonderful surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/1/2014The menu looked great and the food was well prepared. Dishes and drinks kept coming! Not a dressy restuarant, but the ambiance is warm and welcoming, and the service was friendly and attentive. We arrived at 7 and were allowed to eat and linger past 9. I'm sure that will not be the case as this gem of a restaurant becomes more popular, which I am sure it will! Reasonable priced. We will be back. wSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.