Basil Seasonal Dining
San Carlos Between Ocean & 7th
Carmel-By-The-Sea, CA 93921Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Basil Seasonal Dining
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.basilcarmel.com/
- Phone: 8316268226x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:30am-4:30pm
Dinner: M-Th 4:30pm-9:30pm
Dinner: F-Sa 4:30pm-10:30pm
Dinner: Su 4:30pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian, Vegetarian
- Executive Chef: Partner Owner / Soerke Peters - GM / Partner Owner Denis Boaro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Special Events: Wine Dinner and Testing Menu available year round. Call in for inquiry or subscribe to our mailing list at www.basilcarmel.com
A word from Basil Seasonal Dining
Creative and modern Californian/Mediterranean dining located in the heart of Carmel-by-the-Sea. Our seasonal menu is inspired by the freshest sustainable seafood the Monterey Bay has to offer and the finest organic produce from our local farmers. Compliment your experience with fun and contemporary cocktails as well as an excellent selection of California"s most sophisticated wines. Our menu includes a generous selection of vegetarian dishes as well as gluten free options.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Basil Seasonal Dining - Best Restaurants in Carmel ›
Basil Seasonal Dining reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (43)great for outdoor dining (41)neighborhood gem (34)special occasion (18)great for lunch (16)romantic (14)notable wine list (11)kid-friendly (9)great for brunch (7)hot spot (5)late-night find (5)scenic view (3)good for groups (2)Show More
- Just ok for the price.DavidVIPDined on 9/14/2014We were surprised at the cost and that they were unable to do much in a gluten free meal choice.Special Features:
- Good rich foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014The service was wonderful. The food was good. It was a little bit rich but was very delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My visit to Basil DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/10/2014very limited menu list......will probably not come back.Special Features:
- Irritating 80s soundtrackTresbienDined on 9/8/2014Unfortunately, the Kenny G sound insisted its presence upon our dining experience. The abalone appetizer was very good, although a bit heavy handed with the butter. The petrale sole dish was wonderful, but the black ink pasta was overdone and a bit lacking in flavor. The service was disappointing, with no hints of recommended dishes or friendliness.
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/1/2014Appreciated the seasonal options but the food and cocktails were average at best. I'm a little spoiled coming from SF where there is a plethora of options, but at least Basil offered clean eating choices for those that are into healthy food!
- Brunch was excellentJonSDined on 8/31/2014Very creative dishes, done perfectly, and an attentive staff that knows when to hover and when to stay away.Special Features:
- Basil is a Carmel BestTootallandblondDined on 8/27/2014I've been told by trusted friends that Basil is a favorite dining spot and now I know why. Tucked away from the street, Basil provides a great patio (there may be more seats outside than in). Space heaters keep the patio a nice temp and a blanket option is offered (not needed on this night). Our server moved fast and expertly - best service I've experienced in awhile - and he threw in some personality, menu knowledge and smiles. Noticed my neighboring diners were happy and relaxed, and the credit goes to the server. So enjoyed the starters, fresh and colorful, a well prepared entree, and the recommended dessert (we couldn't decide from the great choices), went with yummy bread pudding and poached pear. Basil's now on my personal Best List!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best for small intimate settingKB24Dined on 8/22/2014Unfortunately, not everyone in our group was pleased with the food they selected for a very important family event but I was very happy with my selection and plan to visit your restaurant in the future. It is probably best for a small intimate group of 2 or 3 persons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingJGaltDined on 8/14/2014Very bland food, expensive to boot. We try to go to new restaurants every visit to the area. This one seemed more concerned with "green" and "sustainability" (whatever that means) and less concerned with the flavor of the food. The waitress was super.
- Great foodevtsVIPDined on 8/12/2014The restaurant is better for outdoor sitting. They have just 10 tables inside. The food is great, but it is rather noisy inside. The service is slow at times. They have rare things on the menu and the desserts are very high quality comparable to pastries and desserts in Europe. We'll go there again.Special Features:
- Excellent…JonSDined on 8/9/2014…as always. Very innovative cuisine made and served by professionals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed FeelingsrichieDined on 8/5/2014Small, relatively charmless space in an otherwise quaint alleyway. Service was fine . Specialty cocktails were excellent. Wine list not so great for the area. My venison was excellent. My wife's pasta main course quite ordinary. It was decent, but I think there are much better choices in Carmel Village proper.Special Features:
- Nice outdoor plaza for lunchRickzVIPDined on 7/31/2014Nestled in among 3 wine tasting venues, Basil is a delightful place for lunch or dinner. Though I prefer my salmon intact, the salmon salad sandwich was very tasty and came with either french fries or a nice bowl of home made soup. The blood orange cheese cake was excellent. The Baileys Affogato was good but they had to be reminded to bring the amaretto cookies. Also, at another local restaurant they add biscotti and a shot of amaretto which is a way better dessert.Special Features:
- Outstanding Dining ExperienceMLSASDined on 7/27/2014Went for Dinner after the Bach Festival's St. Matthew's Passion on Sunday. Service was prompt and attentive. The wine list was amazing, and the menu varied and everything sounded wonderful. The Squid Ink Pasta was outstanding, as was the roasted vegetable entree. We wanted to try several of the deserts, but settled on the Blood Orange Cheesecake which was amazing. We will be going back, as there are so many things on the menu we still want to try!Special Features:
- gr8foodDined on 7/25/2014From the wonderful Service on to the unbelievable fresh food!! Basil is a must if you are heading to Carmel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunchtime retreatmsxcskiDined on 7/15/2014We found Basil Seasonal Dining wandering into various courtyards in Carmel. We wandered on as it was early for lunch, continuing to review menus and decided their menu was the most interesting. We sampled the abalone appetizer which was flavorful and tender as well as sustainably farmed. Our entries were equally tasty. I found their house made limoncello quite tasty.Special Features:
- Great salmon sandwichPanddiningDined on 7/8/2014Great lunch choices. Went back for dinner. Liked eating outside and was warm with heaters and lap blankets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent overallAlexandraDined on 7/6/2014It is the second time we dine at Basil and our experience was just as wonderful as the first one. I like that the food is local, organic, sustainable and that the restaurant is certified green. The dishes are creative, prepared with care and can be made gluten-free for most. The service is friendly and professional. The wine list is extensive with many organic wines to choose from. The setting is charming whether you eat inside or on the quiet court. Kids are made welcome and accommodated. Basil is my favorite place to eat in Carmel!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/4/2014We have already made another reservation for a return visit tomorrow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerJLDHDined on 6/21/2014We ate at Basil on Saturday the 21st. We had a reservation and arrived on time. We were greeted by friendly staff and servers. Our planned table wasn't ready so they sat us outside on the patio which was very nice. We were then moved inside between our first and second course. At this point our service became more spotty--I think the servers nor our group knew whom we were to ask for help. Food wise, the food was excellent. We started with cocktails (the basil margarita was excellent) and burrata. The we ate the pulled pork sandwiches which were a meal themselves and our best food of the night. We had the gnocchi, the beef cheeks, and the salmon. Of the three entrees the salmon was tops! We will be back when we are back in Carmel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovetoeatDined on 6/17/2014We love the food here, always creative, use of local, fresh ingredients with very tasty results and the staff are attentive and responsive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/14/2014Inside dining somewhat cramped. Outside can be chilly - Food excellent and service very good, Fair wine listSpecial Features:
- great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014I and my friend enjoyed it very much and I am sure we will b e back everything was to our enjoymentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Peaches and Fresh SalmoncrosenycDined on 6/6/2014The welcome was warm, the service was great, and although the restaurant space is small, it didn't feel cramped. I ordered the "signature" cocktail--rum, passionfruit (I think) and basil, which was very tangy and packed a punch. My salad and entree were both specials-- a white peach salad and fresh Monterey salmon on a bed of lentils. (Usually I avoid lentils, but these were pretty good.) Both the salad and the salmon were delicious. For dessert I had white peach sorbet.Special Features:
- A Carmel "MUST DO"TetradDined on 6/5/2014This restaurant is a must for person who enjoys a creative outstanding meal. The menus always has the "Non-Run -Of-The-Mill" menu choices prepared by a chef that knows food, enjoys food and serves only the best. One of the 3 top Carmel restaurants and an absolute must-do when in Carmel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tastes, very slow serviceMasyukunVIPDined on 5/24/2014The servers seemed rushed and service very slow the night my sister, boyfriend, and I ate here. Several of our drink orders were wrong or lost. Overheard the server apologizing to other diners for the slow service as well, so it was probably just a bad night. About 1.5 hours into the evening, our food arrived and was perfect! Duck liver pate was sweet and creamy. The roasted cauliflowers in the rabbit entree were amazing! The rabbit itself, dry. Scallops were good. Be prepared with good conversation topics or to endlessly gaze into your date's eyes when dining here, otherwise the long wait isn't worth it.Special Features:
- Great experience!ilovegoodfoodDined on 5/22/2014Basil has an excellent menu. We really enjoyed the duck liver and sea urchin appetizers. The black ink squid linguine was wonderful too. The prices were very reasonable for the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodMOFAVIPDined on 5/21/2014Some of the best Italian food this side of the Atlantic (I am Italian)Special Features:
- The following 78 reviews are from the Basil Seasonal Dining reviews archive.
- Superb dining experienceKaiwangDined on 5/15/2014We had lunch both days while we stay at Carmel. The place is so charming and lovely. The service is superb. Most important, the food is delicious. We had black ink linguini which was made in house with fresh squid from Monterey Bay. It is so delicious so we went back the second day. We had orange cheese cake it is so fluffy and aromatic. This is the best restaurant in Carmel, definitely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basil is a charming place for lunchHeatherHDined on 5/2/2014We live in San Jose, but travel down to Carmel and often go to Basil. It's well worth the trip. Whatever food we get is fresh and seasonal. Even their iced tea has the Basil distinction. The cocktails are excellent, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!ThefoodDined on 5/1/2014We eat here every time we are in Carmel; have concluded that in the future it would be the ONLY place we would have dinner in Carmel! We've been to Carmel many times, have aways found this to be the best place we could dine at; it was/is fantastic from the first course thru to dessert…Bravo Basil!!Special Features:
- Better on other visitsRickzVIPDined on 4/20/2014I ordered an appetizer "to start" and a salad. The appetizer arrived at the same time as my wife's entree (so much for sharing) and the salad arrived very soon after. The waiter's excuse was that he brought the items out when they were ready (a pretty lousy excuse). The salad had raw artichoke which was as bitter as anything I have ever eaten. My understanding that this happens when the artichoke is not fresh. This used to be one of my favorite places and maybe the problem was going on Easter Sunday but it was already late enough so that the crowd was thinning out.
- Small but SavoryCypressbelleDined on 4/17/2014Place is quite small with not a lot of ambiance, but the food was fabulous. We will definitely come back when visiting Carmel.!!!!!! I had the abalone., Thought it would be in steak form butit wasn't. Vegetable were fabulous so fresh and cooked beautifully. My husband had Venison and it was cooked perfectly. We both had dessert as well blood orange cheesecake and Ollalaberry cobbler.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodClydeisLegitDined on 4/11/2014the food was amazing, since the menu changes frequently it is always a fresh experience. The service was friendly and they handled our reservations well. overall a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at Basil. ExperienceMikeDined on 4/11/2014First time at Basil. Experience was excellent. Will definitely return when we are in the Carmel area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!BCookieDined on 4/11/2014If you go during lunch they have delicious asparagus ravioli that you will never forget!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice PickBrownieDined on 4/1/2014I just picked it off a list on the internet and was very pleased at the choice. The service was great as was the food. The seafood soup with shrimp, clams, mussels, and halibut was delicious as were the small dishes of lamb meatballs and abalone. We shall return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great place for a fabulousOliveDined on 3/28/2014What a great place for a fabulous dinner before the ballet at Sunset Center. Food was fresh, unique and excellent. Something for every taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A definite must for dinner!JustinWDined on 3/22/2014If you are in the Monterey Peninsula area this is a great place for dinner. It is affordable ($20-$30 main course) and delicious. It is very small but very cute. The staff is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ApatheticOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/22/2014Overall, I have a hard time recommending this restaurant. Waitstaff did not seem interested in us, even though we were one of only two tables with people. The duck gnocchi seemed to be missing both duck and flavor. I did enjoy the salmon (although a bit dry) b/c of the celery root puree. Wine list is ordinary.